• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Florida begins reopening the state on Monday May 4th, when Disney?

A hurricane iis NOT a pandemic.No one gets sick or dies after the hurricane is gone.

When did I say that was not the case. In actuality please look up how many times on this forum I have reinforced COVID-19 was serious back in February and March.

My point stands that Disney has things they have come up with for Hurricanes that could be adapted to the parks being closed.

If they are opening up resorts they have options of things they could put out there for guests to do. That is all I am trying to outline. There doesn't need to be parks open to allow the DVC resorts to be open.

My point stands that Disney has things they have come up with for Hurricanes that could be adapted to the parks being closed.

Those “things” may be acceptable during an unplanned park closure when guests are forced to make the best of a bad situation. I don’t know how many people would keep a reservation for their weeklong Walt Disney World vacation if they had advance warning that the stay would be highlighted by cornhole tournaments and socially distanced outdoor movie night.

I have taken non-park trips before (albeit, rather short ones.) And by July I’ll be for a getaway. But there is no way I’d spend a couple hundred points for 8 days at a WDW resort unless they present me with some compelling reasons to visit.

If they are opening up resorts they have options of things they could put out there for guests to do. That is all I am trying to outline. There doesn't need to be parks open to allow the DVC resorts to be open.

There comes a point where lack of demand would negate any benefits of even operating the hotel.

Those “things” may be acceptable during an unplanned park closure when guests are forced to make the best of a bad situation. I don’t know how many people would keep a reservation for their weeklong Walt Disney World vacation if they had advance warning that the stay would be highlighted by cornhole tournaments and socially distanced outdoor movie night.

I have taken non-park trips before (albeit, rather short ones.) And by July I’ll be for a getaway. But there is no way I’d spend a couple hundred points for 8 days at a WDW resort unless they present me with some compelling reasons to visit.
There would be people who would go though and if possible DVC needs to reopen as "saving money" is not a good excuse for keeping it closed.

There comes a point where lack of demand would negate any benefits of even operating the hotel.

It wouldn't because DVC in various locations covers 100% of the costs. So there is no negative and only upside in these locations to selling food and other things. With the split cost locations I suspect the closure likely can cover the hotel portion of expenses but only Disney would know that.

DVC could also do a deal with Disney Spring restaurants for an increased cut of profits if they do reopen to help cover any overages that occur as well as make additional income.

I want to be perfectly clear I am not stating Florida should reopen, that any guidelines be reduced, that DVC be allowed to be opened, or that anyone should travel.

What I am saying is if DVC can open under the state policies and Disney/DVC has plans on how to be safe then it should reopen. This is a real estate interest and not just a resort.

Now if they were to do the math and inform the ownership that reopening would cost substantially more instead of waiting until the Parks reopen then I would be okay with staying closed.

AKL is worth staying by itself without the parks open. I pretty good place for refuge really -- only downer is real lack of food options.

If we use Shanghai Disney as their roadmap - hotels and resorts opened up relatively early and nearly two months now.

Shanghai Disneyland hotels did not open.
Only selected shops and restaurants reopened, at the Shanghai equivalent of Disney Springs, with temperature checks, mandatory mask wearing, social distancing and increased cleaning.

At the county task force meeting yesterday a Disney executive on the task force was asked point blank when they are planning to open. His response surely thru a lot of cold water on the hope of a late May opening. He said Disney has no plans as of now as to when they will re open. I have to think the Japan park issue is a major concern. Japan started limited opening and has now had to re shut down the park as there was a large spike in Covid cases.

Yeah there will be people who go if the parks are closed. My husband already said that if resorts are open for our June 13-20 trip, we're going. We are staying at BCV and AKV Savannah View, so it wouldn't be that bad to hang out at the resorts if SAB is open and the animals are out on the savanna. Also, we would stand to lose points if we didn't and it's better than sitting around here where it's rainy and 45 degrees (Ugh). I think you might see a lot of people who don't want to burn points.

So I’ve been digesting this forum on multiple threads in anticipation of a late August rescheduled trip. And I have to be honest and say I think it would be crazy to go to WDW anytime soon
Now, before you hammer me let me clarify/elaborate. I do not think it is feasible to keep us all locked in forever. I also do not dismiss the very real need for people to get back to making a living. But I do not feel going to a leisure activity falls into an essential need. I say this for 2 main reasons.
1) without taking a side politically or socially I just think there is way too much unknown when it comes to this pandemic. For that reason I would not feel comfortable opening up any business that attracts large crowds. Reports today indicate GA”s opening is causing a 40% spike in exposure. Now I know the “I’m young and healthy so who cares” crowd will chime in but it’s not so simple to me. First I’ve heard enough anecdotal stuff to say that’s no sure bet. Second you could pass it on really easy if you get it, even if you don’t feel it. Also it is a bit of an unknown right now what lasting ramifications there may be to having it. So from a public and private health perspective it seems wrong to encourage big crowds
2) if the experience is modified do I want to spend all that money to be limited and to what extent? We have been blessed to have taken our teen children to WDW 8 times. We have a certain expectation. WhAt are the odds we will enjoy it to our standards if we have to wear masks, can’t grab that picture with Goofy, can’t eat in the places we like, or god forbid get turned away from a park. Social distancing in WDW? It’s impossible. The rudeness quotient has gotten higher every time we go. There is always someone not respecting personal space. And one thing I had not thought of brought up here. How many CMS are part time and will not want to risk exposure for a part time job? How many full timers will opt out? The parks are not fun when under staffed. If we had never been it would not change my perspective. I would not want a limited experience to be my kids first. A recent poll said 2/3 of Americans think it is too soon to re open, so you have to think that’s a possibility that people resign.
Just too many obstacles to thinking it will be a good time. I don’t have any great answers. If you are DVC or AP and have an investment you want to use I understand. It sucks to lose stuff. My 401k losses this month make that very clear. And my hope is that by the end of August this is largely behind us and we can go and enjoy. And I hope each of you get your desired outcome and if you go that you have a great time and stay safe. But for me it’s a no at the moment.

Its been asked several times that we not be debating masks, Im deleting the arguments.

I’ll keep thread open for now,

Yeah there will be people who go if the parks are closed. My husband already said that if resorts are open for our June 13-20 trip, we're going. We are staying at BCV and AKV Savannah View, so it wouldn't be that bad to hang out at the resorts if SAB is open and the animals are out on the savanna. Also, we would stand to lose points if we didn't and it's better than sitting around here where it's rainy and 45 degrees (Ugh). I think you might see a lot of people who don't want to burn points.

Agreed.

I have June 16-19 trip planned for OKW and I am going even if parks are not opened. Dont want to lose points.

I would imagine with schools out and no camps open, people who live within driving distance will take advantage.

Member Service told me yesterday that there is no way that the hotels will be open for our 5/27 stay.

I doubt they are purposely lying and at this point if you are opening in 3 weeks you would have rumors of people getting called to onboard them as employees again, likely get cleaning work done, like a full inspection at least a week out from opening of all rooms, ect.

I would suspect they know the timelines for opening and possibly it takes 4+ weeks to be ready to reopen then?

So I’ve been digesting this forum on multiple threads in anticipation of a late August rescheduled trip. And I have to be honest and say I think it would be crazy to go to WDW anytime soon
Now, before you hammer me let me clarify/elaborate. I do not think it is feasible to keep us all locked in forever. I also do not dismiss the very real need for people to get back to making a living. But I do not feel going to a leisure activity falls into an essential need. I say this for 2 main reasons.
1) without taking a side politically or socially I just think there is way too much unknown when it comes to this pandemic. For that reason I would not feel comfortable opening up any business that attracts large crowds. Reports today indicate GA”s opening is causing a 40% spike in exposure. Now I know the “I’m young and healthy so who cares” crowd will chime in but it’s not so simple to me. First I’ve heard enough anecdotal stuff to say that’s no sure bet. Second you could pass it on really easy if you get it, even if you don’t feel it. Also it is a bit of an unknown right now what lasting ramifications there may be to having it. So from a public and private health perspective it seems wrong to encourage big crowds
2) if the experience is modified do I want to spend all that money to be limited and to what extent? We have been blessed to have taken our teen children to WDW 8 times. We have a certain expectation. WhAt are the odds we will enjoy it to our standards if we have to wear masks, can’t grab that picture with Goofy, can’t eat in the places we like, or god forbid get turned away from a park. Social distancing in WDW? It’s impossible. The rudeness quotient has gotten higher every time we go. There is always someone not respecting personal space. And one thing I had not thought of brought up here. How many CMS are part time and will not want to risk exposure for a part time job? How many full timers will opt out? The parks are not fun when under staffed. If we had never been it would not change my perspective. I would not want a limited experience to be my kids first. A recent poll said 2/3 of Americans think it is too soon to re open, so you have to think that’s a possibility that people resign.
Just too many obstacles to thinking it will be a good time. I don’t have any great answers. If you are DVC or AP and have an investment you want to use I understand. It sucks to lose stuff. My 401k losses this month make that very clear. And my hope is that by the end of August this is largely behind us and we can go and enjoy. And I hope each of you get your desired outcome and if you go that you have a great time and stay safe. But for me it’s a no at the moment.
It hasn't even been two weeks since we opened back up here in Ga so those reports can't be right. The spikes are being caused by the amount of testing we can finally get. Back in March you would have to be in the ER with a severe case or elderly to get tested. At this time we now have more testing available and can finally do the drive up testing here. With more testing finally happening we should expect a high spike but then a drop since everyone is getting exposed at this point. This isn't a if you get sick but when you get sick situation with how it spreads which in the long run will push us to herd immunity and hopefully the treatments to shorten the virus length will be developed quickly.

AKL is worth staying by itself without the parks open. I pretty good place for refuge really -- only downer is real lack of food options.
I could be content staying in AKL for 3 days. It would take a little bit more for me to go all the way down to FL though. Like maybe a few resort nights split with a few nights stay at t he beach. (Madiera Beach is my nostalgic pick :) )

How would resorts open (thinking high rise like BLT) with elevator use? One family at a time, CM wipes down elevator each trip?

It hasn't even been two weeks since we opened back up here in Ga so those reports can't be right. The spikes are being caused by the amount of testing we can finally get. Back in March you would have to be in the ER with a severe case or elderly to get tested. At this time we now have more testing available and can finally do the drive up testing here. With more testing finally happening we should expect a high spike but then a drop since everyone is getting exposed at this point. This isn't a if you get sick but when you get sick situation with how it spreads which in the long run will push us to herd immunity and hopefully the treatments to shorten the virus length will be developed quickly.
I guess the way to discern if GA has seen an increase in cases is to look at the hospital admission numbers. Are they rising?

It also would help to know the dates when GA went from not testing enough to adequate testing when looking at those numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter