• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

GAD upgrade question

Yes, yet one more question to add in the mix.

We are DVC members. We have GADGAD vouchers, and are contemplating purchasing APs during our trip in March. Will we be able to redeem our vouchers for 1 day tickets and then upgrade to APs and pay the DVC member rate? Will we be able to use both discounts?

In short, YES.

Disney Ticketing does not consider the DVC "discount" a discount at all. It is just another class of ticket, like a FL Resident ticket, and has its own price. That price just happens to be $100 cheaper (for the standard AP) that the regular "Tourist" price.

GADD question time for me...... :)

I've read that the GADD ticket must be used before you can upgrade it. Does that include ANY upgrades? We want to add hoppers to our GADD ticket, no other upgrades. Can we upgrade the ticket at time of handing in our vouchers, or will we still have to use the ticket first before adding hoppers?

In short, YES.

Disney Ticketing does not consider the DVC "discount" a discount at all. It is just another class of ticket, like a FL Resident ticket, and has its own price. That price just happens to be $100 cheaper (for the standard AP) that the regular "Tourist" price.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed to know!

I've read that the GADD ticket must be used before you can upgrade it. Does that include ANY upgrades? We want to add hoppers to our GADD ticket, no other upgrades. Can we upgrade the ticket at time of handing in our vouchers, or will we still have to use the ticket first before adding hoppers?

According to what Cheshire Figment says, you must use it before doing anything to it. It apparently does not become a valid ticket until it is used.

According to what Cheshire Figment says, you must use it before doing anything to it. It apparently does not become a valid ticket until it is used.

Thanks, Doc.

I figured that was the case, but wanted to find out for sure. It does seem silly though, not sure I understand the logic behind it, but it is what it is.

Not a big deal actually, waiting in line twice for a free day really isn't much trouble.

Okay. I've read all of these posts and want to also express my deep appreciation to the ticket experts who are helping us all sort out all of the confusion that is Disney tickets!

Here is my situation.

We (family of 4) have old (pre-MYW) park hopper tickets with 1 day left on them.

We also have one day base (MYW) tickets from free dining last year (we were AP holders at the time, so we saved those).

We also have GAD vouchers from volunteering.

We are also DVC members.

We are going to Disneyland in March and want to park hop for one day.

So I'm thinking we use our WDW "old" park hopper tickets (the ones with 1 day left on them). We did this once before at DL and were able to use them. I'm assuming you can still do that.

Then we are going to WDW in June and back again in Aug. Dec. and next year in March. Our 2009 AP's expired in Dec. 2009. So in June 2010, we planned to use our GAD tickets and upgrade them to the DVC annual passes.

Then we will continue to save the one day MYW base tickets we got last Aug. with free dining and eventually upgrade those to DVC AP's in 2011 or later.

Is this the best use of the tickets we have?

Yes. Everything you said will work. The WDW tickets can be used at DL, the GAD passes can be upgraded to DVC APs, and you can hold unused MYW tickets forever until used.

Does anyone know yet about the military ticket?

I am still wondering if you can apply the value towards that one after you use the ticket.

If I had to guess about upgrading to military tickets I would say no. One of the descriptions I read about the military offer explicitly says, "This offer may not be combined with any other offer."

If I had to guess about upgrading to military tickets I would say no. One of the descriptions I read about the military offer explicitly says, "This offer may not be combined with any other offer."

I was thinking that as well - I mean if we do our volunteer work and get the free day, then upgrading it would only cost $20 or so. Disney isn't making money on that, and they are in the business to make money.

I am actually tempted to upgrade to an annual pass, but may just buy the extra military ticket, so we'd have 5 days for this trip.

Certainly not any sort of official word, but I would believe that if you can take a regular used 1-day MYW ticket and upgrade it to the Military Salute pass, then you should be able to do it with the GAD ticket as well.

However, according to CF's sticky on the Salute tickets, you can only upgrade an unused ticket (contrary to most other upgrade advice), and the GAD ticket isn't valid until it is used, so they seem to have mutually exclusive requirements.

Does anyone know yet about the military ticket?

I am still wondering if you can apply the value towards that one after you use the ticket.

I was also hoping to be able to use my GAD and upgrade it to the Florida resident special of 4 days for $99. If it can't be done, I guess upgrading to a Fl Seasonal Annual pass would be the next best thing, or could we not do that either? :confused3

I was also hoping to be able to use my GAD and upgrade it to the Florida resident special of 4 days for $99. If it can't be done, I guess upgrading to a Fl Seasonal Annual pass would be the next best thing, or could we not do that either? :confused3

I don't believe that either of those have any sort of upgrade conditions (other than blackout dates), so there should not be a problem.

The ticket can be upgraded to any ticket which you are entitled to purchase at a Theme Park Ticket Window as long as the value is more than that of a one-day, one-park ticket. It cannot be used at a water park or DQ.

Kind of confused:

We have current AP vouchers that we are going to activate into AP's in October.
3 out of 4 family members are participating in the GAD program prior to October.
We are all DVC members.
Can we use the GAD vouchers towards the purchase of 3 more AP's (DVC discount)vouchers for the future? Or will we need to purchase actual AP's that day for immediate use and then just keep the old AP vouchers for the future??
Not sure what the difference really will be but very confused.

Thanks

Can we use the GAD vouchers towards the purchase of 3 more AP's (DVC discount)vouchers for the future?

No. The GAD voucher cannot be used directly towards any sort of ticket. It can be used to get a 1-day ticket, and THAT ticket can be upgrade (after it is first used, as the ticket is not actually valid until you enter the park). But you cannot "upgrade" to an AP voucher (aka Exchange Certificate), only another active ticket.

Or will we need to purchase actual AP's that day for immediate use and then just keep the old AP vouchers for the future??

That would work.

No. The GAD voucher cannot be used directly towards any sort of ticket. It can be used to get a 1-day ticket, and THAT ticket can be upgrade (after it is first used, as the ticket is not actually valid until you enter the park). But you cannot "upgrade" to an AP voucher (aka Exchange Certificate), only another active ticket.

That would work.

Well, since the vouchers technically never expire I might as well just purchase new AP's with the DVC discount and GAD tickets to use that day and keep the old vouchers.

Disney better not change that voucher rule anytime soon (at least for a year after October)!!

Thanks for the help
:thumbsup2

We are coming to the park in July and will need 3 days of park tickets.
We are planning to use a GAD ticket the first day, then upgrade it to add the other 2 days as parkhoppers.
This will save $$ right?
Also, the stupider question - we can go and come in one day on that ticket right? Like we can leave and take DD back for a nap and return the same day to the same park?

We are coming to the park in July and will need 3 days of park tickets.
We are planning to use a GAD ticket the first day, then upgrade it to add the other 2 days as parkhoppers.
This will save $$ right?

Yes - $79 per adult per GAD ticket, not including taxes.

Also, the stupider question - we can go and come in one day on that ticket right? Like we can leave and take DD back for a nap and return the same day to the same park?

Yes, you can always return the the same park the same day on any standard ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter