Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw a small alligator under the bridge leading into Frontierland last fall. We told a passing cast member what we saw, but were told that they already knew. I was surprised to see a gator actually inside the Magic Kingdom, but it was in the water so it makes sense. If they can make it to the waters surrounding Tom Sawyer Island, they can probably make their way to any body of water.

News reports are suggesting the body of the child has now been recovered. So sad, rest in peace little one.

Tom

From the AP on WESH TV.com's website

MIAMI —The frequency of serious, unprovoked alligator bites has grown in Florida along with the state's population - but fatal attacks remain rare. Some things to know about alligators from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:

ENDANGERED STATUS
More than a million alligators live throughout Florida, though the species remains listed as an endangered species because it closely resembles the endangered American crocodile.

WATER HAZARD
Alligators can be found in fresh and brackish bodies of water - including lakes, rivers, canals and golf course ponds - and there's an estimated 6.7 million acres of suitable habitat statewide. Alligator bites are most likely to occur in or around water, as gators aren't well-equipped to capture prey on dry land.

FEEDING HABITS
Alligators are opportunistic feeders that will eat what is readily available and easily overpowered. It's illegal to feed wild alligators because that causes them to lose their fear of humans. While gators can lunge at prey along a shoreline, there's no evidence of alligators running after people or other animals on land.

GATOR PRODUCTS
Hides, meat and other parts can be sold from legally harvested alligators. In 2014, the hides and meat from harvested gators was worth $6.8 million.

RARE ATTACKS
There have been 23 fatalities caused by wild alligators in Florida since 1973, among 383 unprovoked bites not caused by someone handling or intentionally harassing an alligator. Florida averages about seven serious unprovoked bites a year, and officials put the odds of someone being seriously injured by an unprovoked alligator in Florida at roughly one in 2.4 million.

GATOR VICTIMS
Most of the eight children and 15 adults had been in freshwater bodies of water. Other victims include: a 2-year-old girl who wandered 700 feet from her fenced backyard; a 3-year-old boy who left a roped-off swimming area in a county park to pick lily pads; a 36-year-old man swimming across a pond while trying to elude police; a 54-year-old woman seized by an alligator while landscaping near a pond; and an 82-year-old man killed while walking his dog on a path between two wetland areas.

FIGHT BACK
If an alligator bites you, make a commotion: hit or kick the alligator, or poke it in its eyes, because alligators will retreat from prey they can't easily overwhelm

On a completely separate note.....to me NO SWIMMING means to stay out of the water.

That's not what it means up here in New York.

No Swimming = Don't swim.
No Wading = Don't go up to your knees.
No Entry = Stay away completely.

At the GF, the sign on the beach says "No Swimming Please" with a cute drawing of an adult doing the Australian crawl. Hardly the message one would expect to indicate a life-threatening animal encounter in ankle-depth water if you live outside of Florida.

At the GF, the sign on the beach says "No Swimming Please" with a cute drawing of an adult doing the Australian crawl. Hardly the message one would expect to indicate a life-threatening animal encounter in ankle-depth water if you live outside of Florida.

In Michigan no swimming means stay the heck out of the water. I find it hard to understand how people can look at a body of water with signs up that state no swimming and think it is ok to go into that water at all. Just a difference in how we were raised to think that sign means, I guess.

In Michigan no swimming means stay the heck out of the water. I find it hard to understand how people can look at a body of water with signs up that state no swimming and think it is ok to go into that water at all. Just a difference in how we were raised to think that sign means, I guess.

Perhaps, but big picture this was a 2 year old on a kiddie beach at a Disney luxury resort watching a Disney movie at a Disney event who wasn't wading or swimming, he was not even in the water. He was walking at waters edge and a wild animal came up on the beach and dragged him in.

So the issue isn't deciphering the meaning of the word "swimming" on the sign as the boy was not swimming. The issue is whether or not Disney has a responsibility to inform its guests that being in proximity to water's edge at night is a risk of an alligator attack. That's very different than "swimming", and Disney did nothing to bring this threat to the boy's parents at the time of the incident.

In plain English: Disney always knew there was a risk, they kept holding these evening events anyway, and they chose not to put up stringent warnings because it sent a negative impression. This poor boy is dead not because of irresponsible parents or dumb luck; he is dead because Disney didn't inform their guests of the risks and hold events in risky locations.

People in Florida seem to be aghast that out-of-state parents didn't know the rules about alligators at night near shallow water. Well, Disney lives in Florida, they certainly knew the risks, so why are they holding family events in these locations? You want the best view of the light parade and the fireworks at night? Go down to the beach near the water and watch a movie. That's the message Disney sent, no warnings, go have fun at feeding time where known predators lie in wait.

So sad about that poor little boy. You must watch your child at all times in FL around bodies of water. We took my son when he was 3 to an all inclusive resort in Fl there was a body of water on the property, river or something and we were terrified and did not let him go out unsupervised and never alone by that water. Disney properties do have gators. We were at the Wilderness lodge in 2012, the little pond in the back of the Lodge had a gator every morning swimming around. My kids thought it was so exciting. I thought that the personnel probably knew and this was common being it's Florida. On our last day I spoke with a CM and mentioned the gator to see what was up. Her reaction was a look of terror. She asked me exactly where it was and then went immediately inside the hotel. Guess it wasn't so common. I can't believe 300 rooms looking down on that pond and we were the only ones who saw it. I took pics of him, he didn't look that big but then again I was up on the 6th floor so who knows.

AGREE

So it says "NO SWIMMING" ................. why? Why can't you swim? Why?

So some think it means you can walk, wade and splash in the water but you can't freestyle or butterfly?

So you can go in up to your ankles, knees but not your chest or shoulders?

Why would they post NO SWIMMING?

BECAUSE there is something in the water that is DANGEROUS to you.

It doesn't matter what ..... bacteria, sewage, amoeba, snakes, jagged rock, alligators ............

If you were allowed to enter the water it would say Swim or Enter at Your Own Risk or there would be no sign at all.

AGAIN, FEEL HORRIBLE for this family. :grouphug: Am so glad they were able to bring him back to his family.

I think many assume because the lake is man made, that it is barren. However this area is its own ecosystem with many organisms. "If you build it they will come"- the lake was stocked with fish in 1973, and the gators came. The wildlife around this man made lake has become more natural since 1973. Eliminating the gators completely- besides being impossible is not practical on an ecological level.
Apex predators are needed to stabilize these areas, and unfortunately Seven Seas and Bay Lake are visited by huge amounts of people every day. Eliminating sharks off the coast of the Carolinas is the same impossibility. They are part of the ecosystem and needed to stabilize it.
The safety of human life is of utmost concern and in the past I have always found Disney does there best to protect my family on our trips. This was a horrible accident, absolutely devastating-as a parent myself the story rips out my heart. Finger pointing can go in every direction.
I too have been told by Disney staff (mostly the resort ferry boat captains) that gators that get to big or too comfortable with humans are relocated (what ever that really means). I have never seen any. Snakes yes, gators only in pictures posted by other WDW guests!
So sad and horrible-

Perhaps, but big picture this was a 2 year old on a kiddie beach at a Disney luxury resort watching a Disney movie at a Disney event who wasn't wading or swimming, he was not even in the water. He was walking at waters edge and a wild animal came up on the beach and dragged him in.

So the issue isn't deciphering the meaning of the word "swimming" on the sign as the boy was not swimming. The issue is whether or not Disney has a responsibility to inform its guests that being in proximity to water's edge at night is a risk of an alligator attack. That's very different than "swimming", and Disney did nothing to bring this threat to the boy's parents at the time of the incident.

Incorrect.

The first live news conference last night the Sheriff said THREE times the child was IN the water. The third time he said the father said the child was about a foot out in the water playing and he was standing nearby. Again today he said the child was IN the water playing. The gator did not come up on the beach. The gator grabbed the child in the water, am sure he thought it was a duck or small animal splashing.

At this point it all happened so fast, we have heard from no one who even saw the gator other than the parents. One reason would be that the gator was in the water and it would take only seconds for him to grab the child and pull him under. Witnesses did report the Dad and possibly Mom all wet from being in the water trying to get the child, screaming and the lifeguard leaving the pool to run out on the beach.

YES!! When I see a "No Swimming" sign by a body of water, I assume that means I'm to STAY OUT of that water for whatever reason. I mean, just because someone isn't technically "swimming" doesn't mean they aren't exposed to whatever dangers that water might pose.

We need to ramp up our efforts to teach critical thinking skills in the schools. People are just floating through life expecting someone else to think for them and protect them from everything.
During our 2005 visit to CSR there was a small alligator that hung around the footbridge on the Cabana's side of the resort. We were told that gators were removed when they get to be 5-6 feet long. During our last visit to CSR last month we saw a raccoon run across a walkway 50 feet in front of us and I saw a black snake (about a foot long) in the bushes behind Bus Stop 4.

I think one of the 4-5 alligators caught will be the one that drowned/killed the boy. It would be interesting to see how big he was. If he was over the number of feet that Disney allows, then he would have to be one they never saw, I guess.

In plain English: Disney always knew there was a risk, they kept holding these evening events anyway, and they chose not to put up stringent warnings because it sent a negative impression. This poor boy is dead not because of irresponsible parents or dumb luck; he is dead because Disney didn't inform their guests of the risks and hold events in risky locations.

People in Florida seem to be aghast that out-of-state parents didn't know the rules about alligators at night near shallow water. Well, Disney lives in Florida, they certainly knew the risks, so why are they holding family events in these locations? You want the best view of the light parade and the fireworks at night? Go down to the beach near the water and watch a movie. That's the message Disney sent, no warnings, go have fun at feeding time where known predators lie in wait.

There is so much wrong in this post I hardly know where to start. First off, the child was in the water. That has been stated many times by those in law enforcement working on the case. Second, the risk is beyond minimal, especially if you follow the signs posted and don't go in the water. It was a freak accident, and the odds of it happening were so low that I highly doubt Disney felt like they were putting anything over on the guests or putting anyone in danger by having a water parade, or movies somewhere near the water.

Maybe you are not from somewhere where when you build you have water to deal with. Florida is swamp land. When you build you have to put the water someplace. And if there is water in Florida, snakes and gators will find a way in. The only way for Disney to avoid having to deal with large bodies of water would be to have not built in Florida.

You are in way more danger riding in a Disney bus then you are watching a movie near the water.

AGREE

So it says "NO SWIMMING" ................. why? Why can't you swim? Why?

So some think it means you can walk, wade and splash in the water but you can't freestyle or butterfly?

So you can go in up to your ankles, knees but not your chest or shoulders?

It doesn't matter what ..... bacteria, sewage, amoeba, snakes, jagged rock, alligators ............

If you were allowed to enter the water it would say Swim or Enter at Your Own Risk or there would be no sign at all.

AGAIN, FEEL HORRIBLE for this family. :grouphug: Am so glad they were able to bring him back to his family.

One could also assume that since Disney lets people wakeboard in the seven seas lagoon for a fee, it is safe to be in the water. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/contemporary-resort/wakeboarding/

Incorrect.

The first live news conference last night the Sheriff said THREE times the child was IN the water. The third time he said the father said the child was about a foot out in the water playing and he was standing nearby. Again today he said the child was IN the water playing. The gator did not come up on the beach. The gator grabbed the child in the water, am sure he thought it was a duck or small animal splashing.

At this point it all happened so fast, we have heard from no one who even saw the gator other than the parents. One reason would be that the gator was in the water and it would take only seconds for him to grab the child and pull him under. Witnesses did report the Dad and possibly Mom all wet from being in the water trying to get the child, screaming and the lifeguard leaving the pool to run out on the beach.

Let's be real.

First off, it was 9:00 at night and he's 2. It's not like the family was in bathing suits night swimming in a lake. The family got out of the pool late afternoon, washed up in the room, gave the boy a nap, got dressed, had a nice dinner. They're pushing the stroller around after ice cream in the pitch dark and decide to go check out the movie at the beach. The 2 year old gets out of the stroller and wanders down in his sandals and is standing in 3" of water which is what "a foot out" would be in that shallow runoff. The alligator sees the splashing shadow in the dark and grabs him.

That's what it's going to turn out to be. It's a 2 year old and it's 9:00 at night at a luxury resort. There was no "swimming". They were walking around on a beach that Disney had no right to encourage people to be on. Because it's Florida and it's feeding time and it's a body of water and no sane parent in the state of Florida would ever allow their 2 year old to be in that position. Disney should know what all Floridian parents apparently know yet this New York father doesn't know and these poor people from Nebraska surely did not know.

I find it hard to understand how people can look at a body of water with signs up that state no swimming and think it is ok to go into that water at all.

I think we need to really get away from this "No Swimming" definition discussion because it really doesn't matter and is not beneficial.

1. Even if the toddler was 12 inches away from the water without ever dipping a toe in, this tragedy might have happened anyway. In fact, in 1986, an 8-year old was by the edge of the water at Fort Wilderness (not in the water), and an alligator came out of the water to get him (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-10-12/news/0260190168_1_hitt-alligator-fort-wilderness).

2. It is clear that "no swimming" means different things to different people. My wife, kids, and I discussed this exact sign's language in March when we were at WDW, and I remember us trying to decide if wading was okay or not. We decided to just stay away, but we still weren't sure what the sign exactly meant.

3. Regardless of your definition of "no swimming," there are mixed messages at WDW when, although all the beaches on Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake state "no swimming," you can go to the Contemporary Resort and rent a jet ski or ski boat, and head off in Bay Lake for an hour or two of skiing/tubing/knee boarding (or jet skiing) during which you will be fully immersed in the water at multiple times. We rented a ski boat there a couple years ago, and during the hour rental, we were in the water by the shore at times getting skiis on/off or while we switched from tubing to knee boarding. Also, we were in the water whenever we fell and as we waited for the boat to come back around. If "no swimming" really means that the water is very dangerous (for whatever reason), it doesn't make sense to me that they would allow jet skiing/water skiing activity in the same body of water.

I actually read that he was wading in the water and that his sister was on the beach in a pen.

Gators are not relocated in Florida. They are captured and killed. The last paragraph above is good advice. I live in Florida on a pond and watch the gators in my back yard. They do move around on land when traveling from pond to pond, usually after dark.

That is sad. I know I'll probably get many angry responses but it makes me so sad when there is an accident like this and humans go out and kill a bunch of gators or sharks or whatever the animal may be.

Michigan person here too! That's exactly my thought No Swimming means stay out. We have stayed at the Poly and walked somewhat on the beach but not near the water. Even though I'm from Michigan I know there are snakes and gators in the water, I thought was common knowledge about Florida.

This is such a sad thing to have happened. I shutter every time I think about what that poor baby was thinking as the gator took him. I'm surprised they found the remains. So sad!

Not to all NYers. No swimming to me means do not go in the water. It is clear from the various threads on the boards that people interpret no swimming differently, and in our cases you could even be from the same region and interpret it differently.
I do hope that if Disney changes the signs they will just put "Stay out of water" so there can be no misinterpretation in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter