Give Disney A Break!

MickeyMoose15

Happy Easter!!!
I have heard tons of compalints from people on this discussion board about the recent discisions and it really pisses me off.

The Walt Disney Company is in hard times like the other companies and has to cut back in order to continue providing entertainment to the American public.

Also, these changes are only temporary. Disney has told us that the Early Entry Cut and reduced Park Hours is only for the rest of the month of October. Some shows have had reduced days and some people have lost jobs but that must happen. Theme Park attendance is going back up but if people cancel plans (Like some people on this board) and attendance goes back down, then these cut backs will go on longer and we will lose more.

SO PLEASE.....GIVE DISNEY A BREAK!!

After reading all the cuts on this board. No breaks for Disney. If they cut service they should cut their price. I'm a consumer like everyone else and if I don't like the product i'm not buying it. Would you buy a Twinkie that's stale because you like the Hostess company? No no breaks from me. I'm almost certain I'll be canceling my trip in December unless things turn around and quick.

It's really hard to give Disney some slack right now. There are some cutbacks that I have no problem since they are reasonable for the situation they are in (stoping of EE, changes of parade times), but a sudden reduction in hours and the closing of a classic attraction during a celebration of Walt's life are shrewd moves made by the company. I'm beginning feel that Disney is using 9/11 as a worthless excuse to cutback in costs. All this occurs while excectives are picking out their new cars for next year and still wine and dine like there is no problem.

Looks like I'm changing to car #3. I can't take it anymore. They better be glad that I'm not hopping in #4 yet.

Disney is a business, not a charity.

Some of the cuts are advisable and understandable. Others just seem very short-sighted.

I'll give them a break, when they educate their CMs so that they can honestly answer the guests inevitable questions, and help them make alternate PS and other arrangements.

I'll give them a break when they quit lying to guests about the services. (Example e-mailing people who had asked about EE saying that it was still in effect, when it was canceled the next day. Telling people who called that there were no plans to cancel EE, when it was then canceled the next day.)

I'll give them a break when they start giving guests reasonable notice of changes. (Example many resort guests showed up for EE, only to be told by the MGM guard that it was no longer in effect. They had no prior notice through their resorts.)

I'll give them a break when the big-whigs absorb some of the losses themselves, with a few cuts in their own benefits, rather than expecting their paying customers to bear the brunt of the cut-backs, while still paying premium prices.

Well said TXDeb! I think that if Disney would just lay their cards on the table and cut out the mysterious "we aren't going to tell you!" act that many people would be more accepting of what they're doing. It's hard to get an answer much less a straight answer and has been for as long as I can remember.

I'm one who was grumbling about the layoffs at WDW. I realize that some of this is unfortunately necessary but I also recognize reduced services and reduced fun when I see it. People are commenting lately about dirty conditions, ragged hotels, poor food quality, closed rides, etc. a bit too much for me. I think the CM's are vital for Disney to maintain the Disney standard and atmosphere but they seem to be disappearing lately which is sad for us and sad for them too in my opinion.

But I hope that they'll be back! :)

Give them a break, WHY??????

Their drastic business decisions are getting them EXACTLY what they DESERVE.

They've slowly but surely been cutting stuff for a few years now, just now that they're cutting a large group of major things all at once, rather than a little here a little there, people are starting to take notice.

Now perhaps we will see the mighty untouched CEO actually reconsider his financial decisions, Give Disney a break? Get Real! If I go into a supermarket and all that is available to buy is pork juice, cat food and recycled toilet tissue do I continue to shop and pay for a limeted selection? No Way! I just head on down the street to the next seller. Now Universal Studios I will give a break to (and my money) they are a more attractive deal right now. This is in Orlando of course.

I agree. Disney is not a charity and it's not the responsibility of their paying customers to 'give them a break'. People still deserve to receive what they paid for regardless of how the company is doing. If things are that bad, the stockholders should take a bigger hit...after all, they are the ones who made a bad investment, not the customers who spend big $$$ to have an enjoyable vacation.

I don't understand why anyone would be willing to accept less from Disney. Many companys are having hard times right now. Would you accept cutbacks from them? What if your newspaper said that they would need to skip Tuesday's and every other Sunday's newspaper in order to 'continue providing' the news to their customers. Keep in mind that you would still pay the same for a subscription? Would that be ok? What if your cable company cut the number of channels in half but wanted to charge the same amount for less service? Is that ok? If not, why make excuses for Disney.

Perhaps they need to stop expanding so much and take care of what they have got. We've spent over $10,000 in the last three trips, give them a break? How about if I just drive by and toss the money at the curb and make it easier for them?

I admit-maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on-but I'm with MickeyMoose! I'd rather go to a Disney theme park with their cleanliness and service for only 5 hours a day than some other theme parks that do stay open late!

It has nothing to do with giving Disney a break.. It's dollars and cents.. You don't draw customers to the parks by doing everything you can think of to push them away.. If attendance continues to drop Disney has NO ONE to blame but themselves and to try to pass it off to the events of 9/11 is pretty disgusting in my book.. If they truly need to make reductions in services, shows, park hours, and what-have-you, then let the PRICE reflect it.. Don't expect people to pay for a gallon of milk and only get a pint in return.. Disney is committing financial suicide and the blame lies squarely in their own laps - not in the laps of the innocent victims of 9/11..

I admit-maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on-but I'm with MickeyMoose! I'd rather go to a Disney theme park with their cleanliness

If theme parks were my only choices for places to spend my vacation dollars, I have to agree with you Simba's Mom.
However, if Disney can not give me enough value for my hard earned vacation money, there are so many other places to go that just might provide as much fun and a better value.

The problem is that we DISer's are unique. Give us a little extra money and a little time off, and we automatically think 'Disney'. Most people are not like that. They will choose a way of spending their money that they believe offers them a good return on their investment. They will most likely choose some other place, or way, of spending their money than Disney right now, unless Disney offers some kind of 'deals' or incentives to draw them to the parks and resorts.

Disney was not to blame for the events of September 11th.

Disney was not to blame because people could not get to Orlando after the events of September 11th.

Disney did put people into hotels for free that could not go home.

Disney is not responsible because many people are cancelling resevations because they are afraid to travel.

Disney is not responsible because people cannot travel because of economic reasons.

Disney can institute cost containment programs to stay financially stable. Airlines, hotels, restaurants, travel agencies and other travel and entertainment companies are all cutting costs.

Disney is taking the same actions as any responsible company.

ralphd

PS
We were at Epcot on September 11th and think Disney and the CM's did an outstanding job of handling a delicate situation!

You are right - Disney is not to blame for the events of 9/11 and its aftermath.

However, if the company had been running things wisely before 9/11, they would be in a better position to deal with this situation. Especially, when you consider the banner profits that the parks pulled in during 2000.

It still comes down to the fact that Disney must attract people back to the parks and resorts. It is not my responsibility to 'save' Disney and I can not do it by myself anyway. WDW has to do its part to make spending money there seem like a good value (and not just to us loyal Disney fans). It is their responsibility to market their product in a way that makes me, and others, want to come spend money with them in spite of any reasonable cut-backs that must be made. They are not doing that right now.

It's not my fault that 9/11 happened either, and I have a responsibility to my family to make sure that our money is spent wisely.

Maybe it's responsible in the "buisness world", but in the "tourism world" they are shooting themselves in the foot. Do park hours cut, closed attractions, and EE and E-ticket nights being cut sound like a good reason to go down to WDW? No. They are getting a lot of negative publicity from all of this and it's not going to help them. WHat they should be doing it making WDW sound like a great place to go right now. What they're going it making people not want to go to WDW.

Disney is simply hunkering down, cutting costs & trying to survive a situation that may last 6 months or 6 years. They are fully aware of the short term damage they're doing, but they must cut costs for the worst case scenerio.

they need to have their financial ducks in a row & be able to operate as efficiently as possible within the realm of a bleak economic outlook.

But, Disney's moves in the last few days are way out of proportion for the current economic outlook. The draconian cuts seem more appropriate for the early 1930's than 2001. Travel is down dramatically, but there are already signs of recovery (though recent anthrax news hasn't helped). It's only been six weeks since 9-11, so we shouldn't expect everything to be back to normal so soon - yet things are already looking up. Now, nobody can say for sure what the future holds, but if travel and the economy should take a turn for the worse, Disney can always make more cuts later, if they are necessary. At the moment, the prospects (fortunately) look as though the downturn won't be nearly as bad as one would think looking at the Disney cutbacks (Christmas spending will be a BIG 2002 indicator). Right now, people could really use a little Disney magic - they need only be given a compelling reason to make the trip. And, providing incentives for people to visit will make a much bigger differerence in revenue than all the WDW cuts announced or rumored combined.

I'm not saying Disney should make no effort to curtail costs - they should, though more selective reductions than we've seen in the past few days. Besides, if worse comes to worse, Disney would not be the first company to lose money in an economic downturn (GM, Sears, etc). Yes, that would be bad, but the stock price is already depressed, and Disney is a solid company with resources to endure the bad times.

Disney was not to blame for the events of September 11th
That is true. However neither was I so why should I expect to receive less for my money when visiting Disney?

This is totally incorrect. Disney should be making efforts to convince people to come spend their money at WDW, instead they seem to be doing everything they can to discourage visitors. In the long run they'll realize that they've made a BIG mistake.

I'll give Disney a break. I would like someone to tell me how they could plan for this? I tihnk the reactions are knee jerk. I think as more information becomes available the will right what some see as wrongs. Before we bought DVC we paid for ROOMS and passes. We got extras and were bound by the hours of that day. Is a company obligated to give perks?? Do your employers give bonuses if business is bad? There have been years when trhe head honcho at Disney Co. didn't get a bonus. I'm sure he won't this year.

DIS friends, I want to explain my missing post that DC7800 has eloquently responded to. I had some reservations about the content and deleted it hoping no one was responding (unfortunately DC7800 was). He has effectively captured my position in his quotes and responded admirably. I'm sorry for making his post hard to understand.

I apologize for the confusion & promise to not let it happen again...Bad Captain, bad Captain!
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter