Give Disney A Break!

Eeyore2U -
I think that if I owned a DVC, I would feel a little differently about the cut backs, since I would have more flexibility in planning vacations and my room costs would already be at a fixed rate. I would know that if my trip was a little less 'magical' right now, I was already set for another trip in a few months, or next year.

However, the average vacationer will be looking at this from a different perspective. They will be weighing the value of spending their money at Disney vs somewhere else. Especially, if they have to save for several years for a big trip. They may decide that it is still worth it to come, but I am betting that unless Disney makes it a little more attractive, they will either put off their trip or go elsewhere.

Thanks for the gracious explanation of the missing post, Captain Crook. :)

I don't know about things looking up.
Today I found out how it seems that all the malls in America have 'cancelled' Halloween.
The way I see it, they provide the safest (and convenient) way to trick-or-treat, now kids will be forced to walk the dark streets for their candy:(
Whenever I complain about it, all I hear is "well with things as they are..."
Seems like this has become an excuse for shutting down everything nowadays.
Seems like I'm the only one who's done all he could to not let this get me down (or change my life).
We will be making our third trip to WDW since the disaster this weekend (I'm sure glad WDW didn't cancel their Halloween celebration(s))
I feel sorry for my X who bought Tasha a beautiful Ariel costume to wear for Halloween and now I fear that Tasha may not get a chance to make her happy wearing it while trick-or-treating. And I fear that with this, the terrorists have won:(

TXDeb,

In all honesty I'd say the same thing even if I didn't own DVC. We are frequent visitors, always offseason, never used EE or E night. I have dealt with shorter hours and remember when there was no PI. I also have had no fireworks or nighttime parade.

I think people are upset by setting high expectations and having things change. What would happen if it rained everyday? Life has so many variables and uncontrollables. If you think there will be less magic. I respectfully disagree. We make the magic, Disney gives us the setting, imho.

I can understand cost cutting. I can understand trying to keep the 'spirit alive' and dumping things that don't work. What I can't understand is doing things that annoy potential vacationers or giving no notice to those who are immediately affected.

I think what I really don't understand is if these 'cost cutting' ideas are a quick reaction because of a bad Sept. or what. OR, is this just an excuse for poor planning.

I have friends who just came back. The parks were packed (maybe because of the missing EEs, who knows.) She said the only way that the crowds were tolerable was that they got FassPass whenever they could.

So, is Disney shooting themselves in the foot? Are people truly taking their vacations or hotel stays elsewhere? Are these cost cutting things good with the upcoming holidays???

I think there are an awful lot of 'chiefs' there making high salaries and decisions. Maybe a few less would be better than asking CMs to reduce their hours. Maybe keeping things such as EEs bring in the people. Maybe the world needs a place or magic and changing the good things will keep them away (especially if they've been saving for this once-a-year trip and now get even less). (I don't see a cut in park tickets for the reduced hours.)

I own DVC. I'm not too happy. I wasn't planning another trip for about a year, but I feel bad for those who are missing important parts of their hard-earned vacation...

Disney, please rethink some of these recent changes...

d

Eeyore2U -
You say that you are frequent visitors, and that is great. If you miss out on a show or ride, you know that there will be another time to see it in the near future.

For some families, Disney vacations are few and far between. If they feel that that will not be able to get their money's worth, they will not come. Or perhaps they will come, and be disappointed enough to never return.

Rain at WDW never bothers me. I am still out in the parks, getting in as much fun time as possible.

I have no problem with some cut-backs. Obviously, there need to be some adjustments. I just think the way that the cuts are being made, and some of the things that they are cutting are unwise in the long-term. Disney needs to inform their CMs of the changes, so that they can answer questions and help guests make alternative plans, rather than leaving guests in the dark to struggle along trying to make sense of what has changed.

As far as high expectations - I do admit that my expectations of WDW are high. That is not my fault. That is what I have received in the past, and what Disney markets itself to be.That is why they have been able to command premium prices. You got what you paid for. If any business fails to live up to the standards that I am used to receiving from it, I will think long and hard about continuing to spend my money there, even if it is my favorite place in all the world - WDW.

We must give Disney a break because they have had trouble finacially lately. With 102 Dalamatians, Emperor's New Groove, Pearl Harbor and Atlantis underperforming at the box office and attendance down at theme parks because of the weak economy before September 11th.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, GIVE DISNEY A BREAK!!!!

What has disney done to deserve a break???? They have made their own bed by numerous bad decisions and i used to give them the benefit of the doubt but wont anymore. Why should we think these cutbacks are only temporary??? Im expecting once times improve they will return some things but very few in their entirety. I think disney needs to change their leadership and should start at the top with eisner. From his decision to hire ovitz etc it has been a long line of bad decisions that have been paid off/excused by his handpicked executive board and the time has come for a change! I own stock and the last couple of years have been a downward trend with no indication it will improve.

I would pay the going rate for an umbrella.. But I would expect to get a WHOLE umbrella - not a half of one..

This reminds me of an ex-coworker who was looking into taking his family of 5 to WDW during peak time. He checked out some of the Disney resorts and also some offsite resorts. He asked me why he should stay at a Disney resort because they were quite expensive compared to the offsite places. I told him about the transportation, early entry and the possibility of e-nights. I did not explain the "magic" because there's really no way to explain it and I don't think that he was the type to be impressed with that anyway.

Now, a year later, there is no early entry and no e-nights. I had a difficult time with the transportation the last time I was there (but hopefully that was just a fluke). So what exactly is the appeal to someone like my ex-coworker? If a new visitor decides to go to WDW, what exactly will motivate them to pay the big bucks to stay at a WDW resort?

I realize that there's always the Allstars. However, I would imagine that many people would rather have a restaurant on the premises and maybe a few other extras. That leaves the moderates for the budget conscious. Is it worth it, sight unseen, to pay what they cost?

We must give Disney a break because they have had trouble finacially lately. With 102 Dalamatians, Emperor's New Groove, Pearl Harbor and Atlantis underperforming at the box office and attendance down at theme parks because of the weak economy before September 11th.
Have you been reading this thread? People should NOT have to expect less from Disney. Why on earth are WE responsible for Disney putting out crappy movies which don't do well at the box office? You think we need to give Disney a break becuase they 'have trouble financially lately'?!? How can that possibly make sense to anyone? Lots of companies are having financial trouble right now. Does that mean that we should all expect less from all these companies? Is it the consumers responsibility when a company makes unwise financial decisions?
LIKE I SAID BEFORE, GIVE DISNEY A BREAK!!!!
Absolutely NOT. What do they deserve a break for? Making bad movies? Poor financial decisions? Using a national tragedy as an excuse to put the screws to their loyal customers? Sorry, no breaks here.

Yes I think we should give Disney a little break. They are getting hit from all fronts, TV down, Advertising down, Movie attendance down nationally, theme park attendance down, etc., etc.
My concern is that once Disney sees the impact of less WDW park offerings for same or more money that they will factor that in, in the future. That is many corporations mentality. When I go down on 12/3 I expect to see less as these boards detail. I just hope that Disney does not use this to cut back on new attractions at WDW and other parks. That being said, I do feel that I will give Disney a pass and see what the future has to offer. We must remember that new attractions and maintaining present ones is very costly and no company is a bottomless pit of money. If they make plenty of money, hopefully they will spend more for our pleasure. This is not naive thinking but it is hopeful thinking.

One big reason that Disney is having trouble is because of DISNEY. I can understand Sept 11th, but other than that it's all their own fault that their movies are huge flops, and theme park attendance is down. With the cut of EE, why would people stay onsite anymore? They could save alot more $$ staying offsite. They should be doing things to encourage guests to come to the parks and stay at the resorts. What they're doing now is scaring all of them away. One bad move after another.....:rolleyes:

Why should I give Disney a break?

Because they wasted 1.4 billion dollars on Disney's California Adventure?

Because they're buying Fox Family for a billion or so dollars? And inheriting a billion or so in debt?

Because they haven't had a substantial box office hit since The Lion King?

Because Michael Eisner and his band of goons make more money than the economy of some third-world nations?

My heart is bleeding. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I think the customers will give Disney a break when Disney gives the customers a break - and not before..

noblemickey made a good point.. If people continue to go to Disney World and fork over full price for HALF the services and entertainment they were getting prior to this then what would Disneys incentive be to reinstate all of these things once their "crisis" has passed?

I'll say it again (and again and again and again..) - it all boils down to dollars and cents.. It simply makes no sense whatsoever for people to pay thousands of dollars to go on these "once in a lifetime" vacations and then not get what they were told these vacations would include.. And then to add further insult to injury, Disney doesn't even have the common courtesy to inform their customers of this prior to their arrival at Disney World..

It's bad business and as I have previously stated before eventually they will find that they have commited financial suicide and they will have no one to blame but themselves..

People make Disney the end-all-be-all of the world. It is now time to realize that they are a functioning company as well. I have worked for them and know that things have to be done to make people like you happy. If you were told everything or responded to how we really feel then you would never come back. So please continue living in your disney smoke and mirrors or the company will never make you happy.
Be satisfied with what is still there. If people cancel vacations and don't spend their money to go, then guess what...Disney won't have money to reopen the things you love or hire the people back that you say you care about.
Truth is many guests don't care about us CMs and think we are their pesonal servant. I don't appreciate being treated poorly by a guest for minimum wage. I have rarely been told thank you or shown any other appreciation. Why is this? Because you think Disney is meant to cater to you every need. Well sometimes when guests act like jerks and we don't always want to, but we do. Because it's what you expect and what we are trained to do.
Don't get mad at Disney...afterall Disney is a name of greatness that has been created in your mind. Instead continue your vacations and be thankful for the CM's that work there. Because without them the Disney magic would have never been put in your heart to begin with. Eventually things should return to the Pixie Driven Magical World that we have all grown to love and enjoy.
josh

If you were told everything or responded to how we really feel then you would never come back.
And you wonder why some CMs are not appreciated. Maybe that feeling shows through!
Makes me really want to go back to support you guys and Disney even more!!! :rolleyes:

I have met both wonderful CMs and some pretty rude ones, but the great ones have far outweighed the bad.
I imagine the same is true of the guests who come through the parks.

I do agree that the CMs are what help make Disney 'magic' most of the time, and I do try to say thank you to CMs.
There are some rude guests out there. We other guests have to endure them sometimes too. Unfortunately, that goes along with being in a public place.

I am so sorry that you have had such a horrible experience with the guests. Maybe you would be happier working somewhere else, if that is the case.

I am also sorry that you have to be so concerned about your job with all the cuts that Disney is making, but it is not my responsibility to 'save' the company no matter how much I love WDW. If Disney can not provide a good value for my $$$, I will not buy their product. It is a functioning business as you yourself said, not a charity, and there are other wonderful vacation spots that are begging people like me to come by offering great incentives and discounts.

let me ask you, Are you avoiding WDW until the cuts are reversed? I'm not telling anyone to give any company a break, I'm just saying speak with your wallet. Don't go. Stay home or vacation somewhere else. I don't think you can. As a matter of fact, I'll probably see you there next July.

Even at half speed, WDW blows away any family resort in the world. Let's hope the changes today bring the place back to full speed soon.

I actually have two places that I love going to almost as much as Disney. If these places are very inexpensive right now wouldn't I choose them particularly since my own financial situation is so precarious? If my financial situation improves, I would go again but I would be worried!

I don't know what the answer is. I don't believe in just supporting a company blindly but I don't want Disney to have any more problems either. :confused:

As far as the CM's go, I don't think that all guests are rude nor do they all take the CM's for granted. I believe that service has suffered as a result of some prior changes and I bet that service will be even worse now. This is certainly not because the CM's don't try but they can only do so much.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't believe in just supporting a company blindly but I don't want Disney to have any more problems either.

Planogirl - I echo those sentiments!

And as it has been said many times before, although I do feel that many of the decisions that have been made concerning WDW have been unwise, especially for the long-term, I do realize that some cut-backs are necessary. I don't think that I would have as much problem with them if Disney was upfront with people. Instead they seem to be trying to hide the 'bad news' for as long as possible. I know that they can not contact everyone personally who has trips planned in the near future. However, they should be calling those who will be directly impacted by cuts (PS, PO-FQ ressies) asap to assist them in alternate plans. They should also brief their CMs as to the changes, so that accurate info will be given to those who call with questions, and keep the website updated. And if a possible cut is being considered, but is not a done deal, I would rather have them tell me that, then say that things are not changing and then the next day - BOOM - the change has been made.

I would also rather have the 'worse-case scenerio' schedule laid out in advance, so that I can go ahead and make plans if we decide to go on in December. If they add more hours later, great. It is a lot easier to adjust your plans when more has been added, then when more has been cut.

I want to be able to show support and respect for the decisions that are being made, but I would appreciate a little of the same in return.

Yes, Disney has had some disappointments in the past.

We all thought that California Adventure would do a whole lot better then it has. The theme park attendance drop came out of nowhere because of the weak economy.

Based on animted film hits, you were wrong Disneyclub. They have not had a hit since TARZAN in 1999 which grossed more then $170 million which was the biggest Disney animated gross since 1994's The Lion King. They have had great films since 1999 but unfortunately they have not faired well. They proves that Disney should not listen to the critics.

Disney is like any normal company. If Universal was doing this same thing, you wouldn't care. You think that you deserve better since this is Disney where everything is BIGGER AND BETTER. Well get over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter