Goofy 2015

If you've never done a full before, I would recommend NOT doing Dopey as your first. I know plenty of people who did, and as my 4th marathon, I was a LOT happier than they were on Sunday.

It would either be my 2nd or 3rd depending on whether or not I get into the NYC Marathon. I did the WDW full this past Jan.

If you are tired after doing a 5k and a 10k then you didn't train hard enough. Now if you do those and then you walk around the parks all day the rest of the days then you might can make a case.

Just take it easy Thur - Sat and you will be fine. Just stop and do pictures the first 3 days and you will have plenty left on Sunday.

Best reason for not doing Dopey if you need one is the extra money and having to waste 2 more days on the front end of your trip. Also, Disney doesn't really go all out on this 5k and 10k like they do at the other race weekends.

That's my reason for not doing it again this year. I will stick with Goofy.

I did mean tired from walking around the rest of the days and from getting up at 2am every day!. I wouldn't be able to take much time off of work to stay after the races, so I know I would be tempted to try to get some park time in throughout the weekend.

Personally, if you've run races before, I think you would be fine signing up and completing Dopey. I don't think "If it's your first marathon, I wouldn't do it" makes any sense to me. If you find a good training program and train properly, you can do it (I used Hal Higdon's Dopey program and it worked great for me). It was my first marathon last year and I had no problems and I felt just as good afterwards as anyone who has run 20 marathons. I also reached my goal of completing the marathon in under 4 hours.

They key to Dopey (and Goofy for that matter) for most runners is to take it slow for the half. For Dopey, you can take it slow for the 5k and 10k as well. I didn't take it super slow for either of those races, but I didn't even come close to PRing. The half was the key for me. I did it with my wife who is a bit slower than me. I still think that I would have been fine if I would have done it on my own and I still would have taken it easy, but running it with her was one of the best experiences of the entire weekend for me (since this was her first half marathon).

The hardest part for me was the early wake up calls, managing my time in the park with my wife, MIL, and niece. I didn't want to ruin their vacation by always leaving the parks early, but I was able to manage my time in the parks by arriving a bit later than we normally would and leaving fairly early, but not necessarily eat dinner and get back to the room. If you can manage all that, find a good training plan that fits your schedule (and be prepared to run 400-500 miles during training), the go for it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Personally, if you've run races before, I think you would be fine signing up and completing Dopey. I don't think "If it's your first marathon, I wouldn't do it" makes any sense to me. If you find a good training program and train properly, you can do it (I used Hal Higdon's Dopey program and it worked great for me).

I just wanted to echo this as neither I nor my fiancee had run even a half marathon when we signed up for the 2013 Goofy Challenge. We committed to training for it from the time we signed up, though, and we were able to complete it for a great experience. We did run one half marathon during our training in the fall so that we could have that experience under our belts, but Disney was still our first marathon. The heat took more out of us than we would have anticipated when we signed up, but other than that we were able to hit the parks on Monday and enjoy the rest of our vacation.

It's not easy and does take a commitment to training, but it's definitely possible.

I just wanted to echo this as neither I nor my fiancee had run even a half marathon when we signed up for the 2013 Goofy Challenge. We committed to training for it from the time we signed up, though, and we were able to complete it for a great experience. We did run one half marathon during our training in the fall so that we could have that experience under our belts, but Disney was still our first marathon. The heat took more out of us than we would have anticipated when we signed up, but other than that we were able to hit the parks on Monday and enjoy the rest of our vacation.

It's not easy and does take a commitment to training, but it's definitely possible.

I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying the more comfort you have with the marathon distance, the less steep the learning curve is. And the less chance for injury.

I'm torn...

On one hand, the Goofy (2013) was my second marathon. I ran a marathon in Oct 2012 for the specific purpose of getting "the feel" of running a marathon before I did the Half/Full combo. I was glad I did.

On the other hand, if I had to pick a marathon to run as a first, it would be the Disney marathon. With more than ample water stations, aid stations and great crowds; the Disney full is the perfect environment for the first-timer.

Either way, be sure the training plan is up-to-snuff. Running 39 miles in 2 days with inadequate training is a recipe for disaster whether it's your first or 10th marathon.

Best of luck! Have fun!

Personally, if you've run races before, I think you would be fine signing up and completing Dopey. I don't think "If it's your first marathon, I wouldn't do it" makes any sense to me. If you find a good training program and train properly, you can do it (I used Hal Higdon's Dopey program and it worked great for me). It was my first marathon last year and I had no problems and I felt just as good afterwards as anyone who has run 20 marathons. I also reached my goal of completing the marathon in under 4 hours.

They key to Dopey (and Goofy for that matter) for most runners is to take it slow for the half. For Dopey, you can take it slow for the 5k and 10k as well. I didn't take it super slow for either of those races, but I didn't even come close to PRing. The half was the key for me. I did it with my wife who is a bit slower than me. I still think that I would have been fine if I would have done it on my own and I still would have taken it easy, but running it with her was one of the best experiences of the entire weekend for me (since this was her first half marathon).

The hardest part for me was the early wake up calls, managing my time in the park with my wife, MIL, and niece. I didn't want to ruin their vacation by always leaving the parks early, but I was able to manage my time in the parks by arriving a bit later than we normally would and leaving fairly early, but not necessarily eat dinner and get back to the room. If you can manage all that, find a good training plan that fits your schedule (and be prepared to run 400-500 miles during training), the go for it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks for this advice! It was just what I needed to hear! ::yes::

I had just about decided that I was going to hold to just the marathon but after all the positive things I've been reading I'm on the fence for Goofy again. I'm an older runner (I'll be 59 next Jan and have been running for 1 1/2 years). I finished the full this year within the time allowed, but I did have difficulties twice during WWOS section. I've completed 8 1/2 marathons and have 4 more on my calendar for the remainder of this year. I used Hal Higdon's program for the full. Would you still believe I'd be ok to finish both races? I'm afraid of finishing the half but not the full. Honest opinions here. Thanks. :)

I'm in for Goofy. Ran my first marathon this year at the Disney Marathon and have run five half marathons to date.

With good training, I can run a half in 2:15, but for Goofy I will probably slow that down a good bit to save my legs for the next day.

I had just about decided that I was going to hold to just the marathon but after all the positive things I've been reading I'm on the fence for Goofy again. I'm an older runner (I'll be 59 next Jan and have been running for 1 1/2 years). I finished the full this year within the time allowed, but I did have difficulties twice during WWOS section. I've completed 8 1/2 marathons and have 4 more on my calendar for the remainder of this year. I used Hal Higdon's program for the full. Would you still believe I'd be ok to finish both races? I'm afraid of finishing the half but not the full. Honest opinions here. Thanks. :)

You know your body the best. I'm 46 and before completing Dopey, I had only run 4 half marathons in the prior year. I've completed a couple of 10k's and several 5k's. I certainly think anyone can do it...age is just a number. If you feel that you can commit to a solid training plan then by all means go for it. Your training plan will get you used to doing back to back runs, which will then get you more comfortable dealing with a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, it's a big commitment, but the more you train, the more success you will have with the run. Also, please see my last post about taking it easy for the half marathon...that is the key...other than the training.

I'm in. My worst fears did not occur. I was afraid that at the last moment I would cave and sign up for the Dopey again.

I'm in. Seriously considered clicking the Dopey link instead, but I would have to take too many days off from work.
Bring on the 39.3!

I'm in! :) A friend used her "register another?" option to sign me up.

I think I want to throw up! :hyper:

Ran into a bunch of issues with the AP page this morning that Disney couldn't seem to figure out, but we did finally get registered for our second Goofy! :yay:

Definitely excited to be heading back for the experience and the great new Goofy medal. Specific training is still about 5 months down the road (for us) but good luck in your training to everyone else who has registered or plans to register! :goodvibes

Where did you all find the link for AP holders to register for the Goofy? I am not seeing it on RunDisney's site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter