GorillaPod

Even the SLR-Zoom model is at it's limits with a bigger camera and a good sized lens. It does not adequately hold a 30D with 70-200 f/4. The pod loosens over time and mine will not hold that combo steady when sitting on a flat surface.
Also, the 70-200 has it's own tripod ring which balances the setup, the 55-200 will put the weight much farther forward and I would not expect the pod to hold it steady at full zoom.

It should be ok for a lighter camera and lens.

I was just wondering has anyone ever rented a DSLR to try out before they actually made a purchase? :confused3 If so, where did you rent from and what are your thoughts on it. I know there are places to rent a lense, but was thinking if you could rent the camera and give it a try and see if it is what you are looking for before you made the actual purchase. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the insight.

Does anyone have the Gorillapod Focus? If so, what tripod head do you use?

Thinking about getting this with the Manfrotto 486RC2...?

Thanks. :goodvibes

Does any one have any experience with the Joby's Gorillapod DSLR-Zoom tripod? http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/slrzoom/

Joby claims it can hold up to 6 lbs while still maintaining is compact size. I have a body and lense that weighs 5 lbs and 7oz, but only if I do not use my trigger tripod head. I am curious if anyone has any experience with this portable-flexible tripod, since I am looking for a tripod option that is much smaller than my current Manfrotto's.

I would be curious to how much weight you put this tripod under and how it did...I just picture this thing falling-failing with a rather expensive setup attached. Also did you find it starting to be weaker the more you bend and rotated the flexible joints.

I would also be open to hearing if you are using any similar products out there that can wrap around odd object supports.

6 pounds is very optimistic and the joints do loosen with use. The pod may hold that much when wrapped around something but no way when it is used free-standing. Either way I would be very concerned with that much weight on it.

This pod was at it's limit with a 30D and 70-200 f/4, nowhere near 6 pounds. Don't think that I don't like this pod, I do and I still use it, but I do not consider it good for anywhere near the rated capacity.

i'll tell you that i have the regular dslr one and i hate it. it doesn't bend well with the camera and the camera generally makes the tripod sag. i also can't do the fun wrap around a pole or lean in weird spot things that i can with the point and shoot camera one.

I just came back from a trip and that gorilla pod was th best thing I could of brought! I used it for all my night shots and my fireworks shots came out fantastic! It fit in my little bag that I carried around. One night right before the magic kingdom closed I would put it on the floor and take my long exposure night shots. I was SO happy I bought it.

The legs were hard to maneuver though, but I managed!

web.jpg

I had good reslults using this same tripod on our last trip in Sept. During Illuminations I twisted around the top railing and got the following results. But keep in mind I was using a XSi with a Tamron 17-50mm lens (about 2lbs). I aslo set it up standing on top of several trash cans around the park for other night shots.

** You might also want to check into the new Gorillapod Focus that is said to hold up to 11lbs (but is a lot more expensive).

401663398_2vmFd-M-1.jpg

393259921_hekuP-M-1.jpg

If you look in the upper right corner below you can see the legs around around the railing.
464228603_JfJa8-M.jpg

Sorry, but I do not like that tripod. I felt like I was trusting my expensive DSLR and lens with a $50 piece of bendable plastic. I think is could work with a point and shoot and in some situatons as posters suggested. I used mine in DC and it was a challenge. I was better off lugging a light tripod IMO. I would spend another $50 and buy a light, compact tripod.

Chuck

Sorry, but I do not like that tripod. I felt like I was trusting my expensive DSLR and lens with a $50 piece of bendable plastic. I think is could work with a point and shoot and in some situatons as posters suggested. I used mine in DC and it was a challenge. I was better off lugging a light tripod IMO. I would spend another $50 and buy a light, compact tripod.

Chuck

I agree with this. I cant get on with the Gorilla Pod at all at WDW. I find very few places it will attach successfully and it was just too flimsy to use on its legs (I have a 30D and range of smallish lenses - the largest I put on it was 17-85IS) . You definately need a remote shutter as it "wobbles" but I just didnt trust it. I had better success with a beanbag. I also took my normal tripod and it was just so much easier.

It works well, but I agree with some of the other posters: It doesn't perform to spec, and if you do use, don't walk away. Keep an eye on it. While it may grip to certain surfaces well, it might not with others, and it's not gauranteed to be stable.

Thanks for all your comments...definately some things for me to consider. I really like everyones shots too.

Btw, this 3 exposure HDR was taken using a Gorilla SLR-Zoom wrapped around the balcony railing (I still held onto the strap).
Canon Rebel Xsi, Canon 10-22, PP in Photomatix

bwv_hdr_0410_08_09.jpg

I don't think that I would trust a DSLR to a grolliapod based on what I have seen from my point&shoot one, the one for the point & shoot cameras work great, but as mentioned, they wear with use and a DSLR is an expensive piece of equipment to trust to that, if you want to be able to attach it to poles in such, I would look at Clampods, especially with that weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter