GorillaPod

I have owned my gorillapod for over a year, but can honestly say that I have never used it. Now, in anticipation of my trip to WDW on the 23rd I was playing around with it as I plan to bring it with me for night shots. I lost the instructions that came with it and can't figure out how to unlock it so that I can slide the plate out to attach it to my camera. I can screw my camera on an off but that is a pain I would rather slide the plate off and attach my camera that way. I see the locks that are on the side of the goriilapod. One is locked and one is unlocked. I am stuck in the locked position and can't figure out how to move it to the unlocked position. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

I have owned my gorillapod for over a year, but can honestly say that I have never used it. Now, in anticipation of my trip to WDW on the 23rd I was playing around with it as I plan to bring it with me for night shots. I lost the instructions that came with it and can't figure out how to unlock it so that I can slide the plate out to attach it to my camera. I can screw my camera on an off but that is a pain I would rather slide the plate off and attach my camera that way. I see the locks that are on the side of the goriilapod. One is locked and one is unlocked. I am stuck in the locked position and can't figure out how to move it to the unlocked position. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

I had a generic gorillapod that had a rotating ring on the base, turning the ring unlocked it

Thanks, I tried that already, but it will not move for me. Maybe I am trying too hard. I will try again and see what happens.

DS ( 15) has commented about it for over a year now,he has a P/S and a Sony Webbie ( palm style). I have seen knock-off styles, but would like to hear anyones experiences etc. It would be a Christmas gift.

Thank you!

Pam

I have one. Honestly the only time I really use it, is in the World. It is very convienient for utilizing the many fences or lamposts. It is a lot easier to carry then a tripod on the days I want to go light. I wouldn't go with a knock-off. I personally do not exceed 3/4 of the weight rating (just a personal choice, has nothing to do with any failure or problem.) Joby currently has a $5 coupon on their site.

I have the largest Gorillapod but I have yet to use it. It will hold my D700 and my heaviest lens. I just have not had a situation where I needed to use the Gorillapod. I was hoping to go off to AK at night during our last visit but on our last day I got sick and that was the day I was heading to AK at night. The plan was to take some low light photos and I figured I would have to use the Gorillapod.

The Gorillapod seems well made and it will hold my D700 and a 180mm/F2.8 lens. I don't think I would use the 180mm with the Gorillapod but it was a good test. More than likely I would be using a 35-70/F2.8 or a 50/F1.4 lens which should not be a problem with the Gorillapod I bought.

At the store I was able to move the Gorillapod around quite a bit to see how well made it was and I was impressed enough to buy it. If you are looking at a knock off you might want to compare the two to see if their is a reason that one is worth more money.

Later,
Dan

I have one and take it with me to Disney. I have used it a few times to set up a picture where I used a trash can or wrapped it around a pole. Over all it's not bad. For a point and shot it should work fine.

Dave pirate:

Thanks everyone!:goodvibes We are headed to WDW for Christmas so thought it would be the perfect gift to give, and I tihnk I will avoid knock-offs. I also appreciate the coupon info!:thumbsup2 I think DS will really like it.

Pam

As the proud new owner of a DSLR I am looking forward to all the great pictures I'm going to get on my - really soon now - visit to The World.

I'll have a Gorillapod and a monopod with me - but I keep reading about how getting the best fireworks pictures requires a tripod.

I'm really hesitant about bringing/using a full size tripod simply because staking out and 'defending' a full sized tripod space in a potential crowd makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Are there enough 'railing spots' or tops of trash cans that I can use to avoid the tripod?

As the proud new owner of a DSLR I am looking forward to all the great pictures I'm going to get on my - really soon now - visit to The World.

I'll have a Gorillapod and a monopod with me - but I keep reading about how getting the best fireworks pictures requires a tripod.

I'm really hesitant about bringing/using a full size tripod simply because staking out and 'defending' a full sized tripod space in a potential crowd makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Are there enough 'railing spots' or tops of trash cans that I can use to avoid the tripod?

Oh there is always a railing or a trash can available...the problem is there is always someone standing right in front of it ;).

If you want to guarantee good firework pictures...you need a tripod in WDW in my opinion. Yes, people have gotten lucky and found a trash can that wasn't "taken" but if your trip won't be as memorable without these pictures then guarantee it and take a tripod.

I haven't found firework shots to be all that important for memories sake for me...so I'd probably pass...but there are others here that wouldn't go to WDW without one. ::cough:: Figment ::cough:: ;)

Quote: I haven't found firework shots to be all that important for memories sake for me...so I'd probably pass...but there are others here that wouldn't go to WDW without one. ::cough:: Figment ::cough::
Yesterday 05:27 PM

Mee too, Mee too! I'm taking a Tripod and a Monopod. I'm also taking 2 bipods, DH and DS who also double as sherpas. ;)

You'll find that reading this board is bad for your budget but very, VERY good for your creative muscles.

:love2:
Marlton Mom

I think it also depends on how patient the rest of your group will be in waiting for you to set up/break down for pictures, and how often you plan to go full photo geek on them.

I took only the Gorillapod to the MK for fireworks. Was so proud that I found a Perfectly-Located trashcan on which to place it. 15 minutes before the show started, I was swamped in on all sides and didn't get a single pic worth keeping. If you're going for FW shots, a tripod is a must.

I brought both a Gorillapod and a full tripod on my last trip. The first night, we watched Wishes and I only brought the Gorillapod. Even though I have the SLR-Zoom version that's for heavier cameras, I was struggling a bit to get it set up on a trash can. Once I got it set up, I also had a problem with a person in front of me getting in the frame. In the end, I got a couple of usable shots, but they are heavily cropped.

For Illuminations I brought the full tripod. I had to camp out between Mexico and Norway, but I had no one in front of me and got much better shots without the aggravation of getting the Gorillapod set up on a trash can.

Another vote for the bringing of the tripod. You will get some quirky looks from people but YOU know what what your end result will be. I station the family all around mine when I set it up, with all of our trappings under the legs (trying to minimize our "footprint" for the fireworks). You won't be sorry.

I station the family all around

Since I will have a couple of 6 foot 'bodyguards' (sons) with me :lmao:

That idea might work out - although these guys are like Golden Retrievers so they will probably end up bouncing into the pictures...

I've brought all three, on separate occasions, although I almost always have a small portable tripod with me, and I have to say, that if you want to take good night shots in the parks, there is NO substitute for a good tripod.

Others will give you wide berth. You get a rock solid platform to take long exposure, low ISO, small aperture shots. Others will ask you to take their picture :goodvibes

It is a pain to tote around, but I just leave my camera and lens attached (with a very secure attachment) and heave the whole mess over my shoulder (with the legs retracted). During this time, I don't go on any motion rides. If I decide to carry my tripod around, I'm mostly planning on taking photos. If I want to ride Rock n Roller coaster, I better leave the tripod in the room and make do with less.

Now, you can get great shots off other steady objects, but they just aren't always where you want one to be.

As for the monopod, I see that as too much of a compromise for this type of photography. It works well for sports shooting, but won't really help much for night shots in the parks, and will get in your way just as much as a tripod, so why bother, just bring a tripod.

Hope that helps,

Enjoy,

Boris
Who will be toting his tripod through the world in 19 days -- hoping for no rain.

I'm considering the larger Gorillapod (either the SLR or the SLR-zoom for heavier equipment) and I've been seeing very mixed reviews. I want it primarily for better fireworks shots and for getting myself into a few more family pictures.

My concerns are that it sounds like the mechanism for attaching it to the camera can be a pain (and requires you to carry a screwdriver?!?) and that the legs are not as bendable/pose-able as you'd expect. I'm wondering if a small beanbag would be a better option for solving the fireworks shots (on top of a garbage can or other object).

I don't carry an equipment bag at WDW, so any solution needs to fit in my small "everything" waist-pack (yeah, I know, I know....)

Thoughts?

I recently purchase the SLR zoom with the BH-01EN ballhead (sold separately). I'm not fully experienced with it, but I am practicing. As far as the quick disconnect attachment, it's like every one I have, to fully tighten to the camera, I use a coin. The quick disconnect has a level which aids in leveling the camera. I don't know the expectation as far as flexibility, because it does need to have some stiffness/strength to support the advertised 6.6 lbs. I'm able to secure it adequately with little effort. This was purchased for a specific need and it fits that need very well. I give it a :thumbsup2!

I bought a knock off and regret it! It seems that on occasion the camera will sag. One leg actually broke off on me, I've sent it back to the manufacturer and hopefully they will replace it with a better model.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter