Great time at SSR

She is. However my step monster is involved. She will never ever be able to go back!!! He is very controlling. He believes that her card got hijacked from SSR. There is nothing that I can say to tell him differently. He is planning to call Disney on Monday.
Unleash him. It will be good exercise and it will do him good.

If he were my stepmonster, I'd set him up with great expectations of indescribable success in his dealings with Disney. Tell everybody it's in good hands, because HE is in charge of setting this right.

And then continue through the process with the credit card company. This happens all the time, it's not your mother's fault, and it will be over quickly. In the end, it will be no harm, no foul.

Credit card numbers do not work that way. They are not created in a sequential order; meaning if you have a credit card number ending in 8 there is not someone who has the exact same sequence of numbers with the last ending in a 9.

Numbers are comprised of a bank identifier, issue identifier and account number. The whole number is basically a checksum that validates using the LUHN formula. Generally inverting a couple of numbers or putting in a wrong digit would "break" the checksum and render an invalid credit card number.

That said, someone who knows how numbers are comprised, knows the correct identifiers and the LUHN formula, could in theory work out valid credit card numbers. But without the 3 digit verifier number on that back they would have a tough time using it as most retailers now require it for any purchases not made in person.

The example was for simplicity sake. The point was data entry error.

Mike©;20487418 said:
The example was for simplicity sake. The point was data entry error.

Yes, I understand this. That is why I explained how a simple data entry error is highly unlikely to produce a valid credit card number. If it were that simple there would be multitudes of mis-charges all over the country each day.

Okay so I purchased SSR so my Mother can go with us. She is lonely and my step father is much older than her and cannot go. Now she will not go to SSR. Will my guide be able to transfer me? Will Disney do this?

Ugh, that stinks. Like others have said, your guide can not switch your resort. However you can always book at a different DVC resort on the trips your mom comes on. Mom might even enjoy BWV for the atmosphere on the Boardwalk and the quick walk to Epcot. Try cherring her up with that thought :)

A few comments -- First, you purchased actual real estate at SSR so they can't just "switch" you to another resort. You would have to sell your current ownership and purchase a new resort. Rather than do that, I agree that you should just book different resorts if your Mom doesn't want to stay at SSR for the time being.

You are reluctant to say where the purchases were made because it's an on-going investigation. If they were not made at WDW, there are other possibilities that could be just a coincidence to the timing of your trip. I had a card used in NYC while I was on a Florida trip. I'm sure it was something lifted from when I used the card at a card shop in NYC but they waited a week or two before trying to use it.

Your Mom may have taken the card elsewhere for an "emergency" and had her info lifted. Or, have they had anyone in their home for repairs, etc. in the recent past? Or even a visitor who may have an unknown "problem". Any chance her husband might have made the charge and forgotten about it? Thieves have even been known to steal mail and get credit information that way.

All the recent threads about crime at Disney quickly point the finger at housekeeping. This is exactly why housekeeping folks are the least likely to commit petty crimes. They'd rather keep their jobs. However, it may be that a band of grifters is working the Orlando area. They are snakes who take every opportunity to help themselves. Leave your door ajar for a sec and they'll be in and out before anyone sees them. Tourist areas are their bread and butter.

I know we have people who come from all over to WDW. Rather than feeling you are in a safe bubble, think more along the lines that you are staying in a major city and take appropriate precautions. Keep things locked up and out of sight. Keep the deadbolt on the hotel room door whenever you are in the room. Never open the door to anyone. Call the front desk to confirm it really is a hotel employee at the door. In St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC women are advised to hold their purses at all times -- leaving it on the seat next to you as you may still do in your home church is a dangerous choice. Same holds at WDW -- don't sling that purse over the back of your chair. Know where you stuff is at all times and do not carry large amounts of cash with you.

I don't call either the thread title or your post reasonable - I call it alarmist. I do understand that you are trying to warn people, but publically blaming the resort staff is quite a stretch from a fradulent charge which may have come about for a variety of reasons.

At least we do have posters like Jim and Sammie who can try and present an alternative view rather than immediately assume the worst.

Gee I think you are jumping to conclusions. I think the op has been very open minded and listening to all scenarios etc. I think it is you who is publicly jumping to conclusions about the op. :scared:

I don't understand this statement. Do you know when/where it was used? We were never asked to be hush-hush about ANYTHING when our cc was used fraudulently?:confused3
I've seen investigators do it both ways. Regardless of whether they were told not to give details, I think it is certainly sensible not to post any details here -- on a public website that anyone can read without even registering, and a site we know Disney CMs actively read.

I don't spend hundreds of nights in hotels each year, but I do spend several dozen, and I've had it both ways. I've been stupid (or scatterbrained, distracted, whatever) and I've also had things stolen from my room. Haven't had anything stolen at Disney, but I have had elsewhere, including at some 4- and 5-star hotels.In fairness, I don't believe pcparamedic01 did that. I think some others jumped to conclusions, but in the OP, I think all that was said was basically that the mother had the card with her the entire time except for one time when it was left in the room -- and during that period, the room was cleaned. That's not an accusation. That's just, "You know...the only thing I can think of is..."

Obviously, pcparamedic01 was upset, but I never thought of their posts as bashing anyone. I know the title of the thread starts "SSR issue..." but that's really a pretty fine point to argue with, IMHO. If the thread had started with a hysterical, drama-rant about the world coming to an end, I'd agree with you, but I don't think that's the case here.

Agreed Jim!!!:thumbsup2

I've seen investigators do it both ways. Regardless of whether they were told not to give details, I think it is certainly sensible not to post any details here -- on a public website that anyone can read without even registering, and a site we know Disney CMs actively read.

Jim,

My Mother does not know anything yet until Monday. But even then she is reluctant for me to tell all on public boards.

Unleash him. It will be good exercise and it will do him good.

If he were my stepmonster, I'd set him up with great expectations of indescribable success in his dealings with Disney. Tell everybody it's in good hands, because HE is in charge of setting this right.

And then continue through the process with the credit card company. This happens all the time, it's not your mother's fault, and it will be over quickly. In the end, it will be no harm, no foul.

Thanks again Jim! Easier said then done with stepmonster! However, again a lot of great advice!

A few comments -- First, you purchased actual real estate at SSR so they can't just "switch" you to another resort. You would have to sell your current ownership and purchase a new resort. Rather than do that, I agree that you should just book different resorts if your Mom doesn't want to stay at SSR for the time being.

You are reluctant to say where the purchases were made because it's an on-going investigation. If they were not made at WDW, there are other possibilities that could be just a coincidence to the timing of your trip. I had a card used in NYC while I was on a Florida trip. I'm sure it was something lifted from when I used the card at a card shop in NYC but they waited a week or two before trying to use it.

Your Mom may have taken the card elsewhere for an "emergency" and had her info lifted. Or, have they had anyone in their home for repairs, etc. in the recent past? Or even a visitor who may have an unknown "problem". Any chance her husband might have made the charge and forgotten about it? Thieves have even been known to steal mail and get credit information that way.

All the recent threads about crime at Disney quickly point the finger at housekeeping. This is exactly why housekeeping folks are the least likely to commit petty crimes. They'd rather keep their jobs. However, it may be that a band of grifters is working the Orlando area. They are snakes who take every opportunity to help themselves. Leave your door ajar for a sec and they'll be in and out before anyone sees them. Tourist areas are their bread and butter.

I know we have people who come from all over to WDW. Rather than feeling you are in a safe bubble, think more along the lines that you are staying in a major city and take appropriate precautions. Keep things locked up and out of sight. Keep the deadbolt on the hotel room door whenever you are in the room. Never open the door to anyone. Call the front desk to confirm it really is a hotel employee at the door. In St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC women are advised to hold their purses at all times -- leaving it on the seat next to you as you may still do in your home church is a dangerous choice. Same holds at WDW -- don't sling that purse over the back of your chair. Know where you stuff is at all times and do not carry large amounts of cash with you.

Thank you! All of these isssues have been addressed previously.

Sammie,

I don't think this is good advice. I think all incidents need to be reported to holel management because management (or the cops) are the people in a position to monitor the entire problem, hotel or resort wide and piece together any common issues, for example a guest that was checked in, or a hotel employee that was working or present during a series of incidents. This could aid in etablishing a pattern among incidents and lead to a suspect. It is crucial for management or law enforcement to have as much information available to them as possible to investigate when problems like this occur. If guests wait to report a problem until there is concrete proof, it would be much harder to identify likelty suspects for the folks that need to investigate and reslove the problem.

My comment was to someone not the OP that asked, "was MS aware of "these" problems?"

First off, we don't know where this happened. Until then, some on this thread and actually not the OP, but others have been quick to judge an entire resort and staff based on what they don't know. That was my point.

I totally agree that hotel management needs to always be notified. They "want" to be notified. Hopefully if the OP or his mother truly feel that a problem occurred at SSR, they have contacted them.

I do know of previous reports on this forum of thefts that did not get reported to the staff of the accussed resort, only reported here. Those make we wonder what truly happened.

I hope the OP finds out for sure what happend and if it happened at SSR will report the facts and if it didn't will let others know that SSR is not a haven for criminals.

I just know I have had this happen to me many times and truly it was never a situation of an employee from an location I had visited.

Jim,

My Mother does not know anything yet until Monday. But even then she is reluctant for me to tell all on public boards.

I am very very sorry your mother is going through this. I can tell you even at a 5 star hotel things happen. Eight years ago I was in St Louis for work and decided to pre-order breakfast. On the order slip I had put my name, my room number and my order.

I was unaware that I had delivered to a criminal all he needed.

At around 2 am he showed up at the front desk in pajama bottoms and a t-shirt and sheepishly told the clerk that he was XXXXX's fusband and when he went to get a soda he forgot his room key and did not want to wake me up but could she please give him a key for room XXXX?

Against ALL policies at a FIVE STAR hotel the clerk gave him my key. Luckily for me I had woken up and seen a car chase on CNN and was half awake so I saw when he opened my door and had some kind of wire to try and dislodge the safety bar.

I started yelling and picked up the phone...the guy ran off.

Had I not been awake I have no idea what would have happened....all because I ordered breakfast. Oh and the clerk was not even reprimanded - they said she lacked sufficient training...sigh.

My comment was to someone not the OP that asked, "was MS aware of "these" problems?"

First off, we don't know where this happened. Until then, some on this thread and actually not the OP, but others have been quick to judge an entire resort and staff based on what they don't know. That was my point.

I totally agree that hotel management needs to always be notified. They "want" to be notified. Hopefully if the OP or his mother truly feel that a problem occurred at SSR, they have contacted them.

I do know of previous reports on this forum of thefts that did not get reported to the staff of the accussed resort, only reported here. Those make we wonder what truly happened.

I hope the OP finds out for sure what happend and if it happened at SSR will report the facts and if it didn't will let others know that SSR is not a haven for criminals.

I just know I have had this happen to me many times and truly it was never a situation of an employee from an location I had visited.

Hey Sammie,
Thanks for all!

As you know we are reserving judgement until Mom gets the results. A crime did not happen while we were at SSR so there is no report. It was a suspicious charge after the fact. Hey Sammie I love DVC as much as you and I would rather not even go here. However it is my Mother that is the issue. If it were my credit card I can say well my credit card could be anywhere! I would of never posted this! Thanks again!!

I am very very sorry your mother is going through this. I can tell you even at a 5 star hotel things happen. Eight years ago I was in St Louis for work and decided to pre-order breakfast. On the order slip I had put my name, my room number and my order.

I was unaware that I had delivered to a criminal all he needed.

At around 2 am he showed up at the front desk in pajama bottoms and a t-shirt and sheepishly told the clerk that he was XXXXX's fusband and when he went to get a soda he forgot his room key and did not want to wake me up but could she please give him a key for room XXXX?

Against ALL policies at a FIVE STAR hotel the clerk gave him my key. Luckily for me I had woken up and seen a car chase on CNN and was half awake so I saw when he opened my door and had some kind of wire to try and dislodge the safety bar.

I started yelling and picked up the phone...the guy ran off.

Had I not been awake I have no idea what would have happened....all because I ordered breakfast. Oh and the clerk was not even reprimanded - they said she lacked sufficient training...sigh.

Aweful!! thanks so much!

My Mother just called today! As you remember I posted earlier in this thread that nothing of ours were stolen! They weren't but someone used my mother's number off her credit card and charged 1700.00. I cannot give you the details where etc. because the fraud dept is involved.

Now my mother never uses her credit card. She just brought it to SSR for an emergency. She pays cash for everything. She has never had it anywhere unattended except for that one day she did not take her purse at SSR and the room was cleaned when we came back. If you remember we complained about the room being dirty. We did not know they were going to just come in and clean it again. They never mentioned that.

Now my mother got a call from the bank today and they said that it looked suspicious because she never uses her card and asked her if she charged 1700.00. She said no!! I am soo upset and feel so bad it happened to my mother. She was my guest at this resort. I will post as I know more.

I also posted it one the Beware SSR thread.

I am so upset this is the 4th person now to date in the last month that I have heard this from at the SSR.. I wonder if they have done anything to rectify the problem?? I am going in Nov to SSR and we are so uncomfortable with the theft issue.. I hope that it all works out for mom and also SSR needs to be notified so the issue can be corrected asap before we have more issues. I will keep posted to your thread to see how it all goes for you. I am so sorry to you and your family I am sure you feel so violated and now feel uneasiness going back any time soon. Good Luck PC!!

Ummm...aren't you two sisters? If this happened, I am truly sorry....but when you continue to play games like this on one another's threads, then you just lose credibility.

Hey Sammie,
Thanks for all!

As you know we are reserving judgement until Mom gets the results. A crime did not happen while we were at SSR so there is no report. It was a suspicious charge after the fact. Hey Sammie I love DVC as much as you and I would rather not even go here. However it is my Mother that is the issue. If it were my credit card I can say well my credit card could be anywhere! I would of never posted this! Thanks again!!

I understand completely and wish you and your Mom the best, especially if Stepmonster is making it difficult. Hopefully things will settle down and you can take her on many other enjoyable trips.

I understand completely and wish you and your Mom the best, especially if Stepmonster is making it difficult. Hopefully things will settle down and you can take her on many other enjoyable trips.

Thanks Sammie. I want to bring this to a closure!!! We are all tired of this. Stepmonster keeps it going for us! I told her tonight, Mom we will take you to OKW, AKL she was happy! She has always wanted to go to OKW. Sooo I am done but I need to make MOM happy! She is only 62! She doesn't go anywhere unless we take her! He is much older and does nothing for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter