Great time at SSR

Gee I think you are jumping to conclusions. I think the op has been very open minded and listening to all scenarios etc. I think it is you who is publicly jumping to conclusions about the op. :scared:

Actually, although I don't post much on the DVC boards here, I somehow tied the OPs name to some kind of SSR drama. You are correct - I was tired and confused, and it was not this thread.

It was in fact this thread

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1503891

I'm sorry if you think that I jumped to conclusions regarding your sister in this thread. Apparently I jumped to the wrong conclusion about the wrong sister, or on the wrong thread.

Oh, sorry...maybe it is that you and PC are the same person. In any case, your posting game is quite obvious as one of you always posts a somewhat controversial point and then the other one comes in to seemingly "anonymously" back you up. It is just fishy is all. Maybe this happened...and again, if it did, I am sorry. But both you and PC have no credibility on these boards, IMO. You played your little game on the OKW thread a while back as well...

In fact, a relatively quick search finds that everytime one of your posts, the other just "happens" to be on that same thread as well. Considering the HUGE number of threads on the DIS, that in itself is fishy.

Moreover, the fact that this theft happened back in July and you are just now hearing about it is all but absurd. Having word as a manager in this field, this is simply not how things are handled. Finally, if this happened at all, the likelihood that it happened at SSR is sooooo unlikely. Not because I am defending SSR or Disney....but because that is the least likely form of credit card fraud. It is far more likely that it was a randomization issues.

The first 8 numbers of a credit card, for example, are the same for millions of people. Take the Disney Visa...for those of you who have one...your first 4 digits are 4266, right? Then, depending on when you got yours, the second for digits are likely 9020. How am I doing so far? Now that there are so many "specialized" cards (with a retail store, your alma mater, etc.) the first 8 numbers specify the category of card. And so it goes.

Anyway, my point is to just post...stop playing games or using multiple names, etc. There are lots of people on here who are actually trying to help you.

Actually, although I don't post much on the DVC boards here, I somehow tied the OPs name to some kind of SSR drama. You are correct - I was tired and confused, and it was not this thread.

It was in fact this thread

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1503891

I'm sorry if you think that I jumped to conclusions regarding your sister in this thread. Apparently I jumped to the wrong conclusion about the wrong sister, or on the wrong thread.

That's right! There was the "I'm mad because we didn't get special treatment at SSR" thread and then I believe they also were on that "OKW is Evil because there was a Fight on the Bus" thread. Yup, drama is the right word.

Go back to the first post. You said your mother got a call from the bank asking if she had used her credit card. Are you sure the call was from the bank? Did the bank ask for any additional information, like SSN or anything else? Could this not really be the bank but someone trying to get the information to actually scam her? Did she get a bill from her credit card company with the $1700 charge on it?

Just thinking here.

This one?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508526

Wow, now I am really confused! who is Douglas? I am a little overworked this week and have spent any free sleuthing time sniffing out fake Bavarians over on the Community Board - sorry for being so thick

Yup, that's the one! :thumbsup2

I don't think that Douglas is affiliated with the OP or rapisano...they just back and re-backed each other on that thread as they do on all others. And that is where some other DISer told me that they are sisters or the same person. :confused3

My Mother does not know anything yet until Monday. But even then she is reluctant for me to tell all on public boards.

I don't think you have any obligation to "tell all". However, given the fact that you came to a Disney-focused public message board and implied that you may have been a victim of crime--at a specific resort, no less--I think you should at least let folks know whether there was actually a Disney link or not. Right now you've created a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt in the minds of people who are wondering whether there is an unaddressed problem occurring or not.

I assume that you mostly wanted have folks commiserate with you over the unfortunate circumstances, but personally I probably would have waited until more facts were known before starting a thread entitled "SSR issue My mom's credit card was fraudulently charged."

While a tell-all is unnecessary, I think you owe it to folks to give some indication of whether a Disney and/or SSR link is indicated by the date / location / nature of the fraudulent charges.

Go back to the first post. You said your mother got a call from the bank asking if she had used her credit card. Are you sure the call was from the bank? Did the bank ask for any additional information, like SSN or anything else? Could this not really be the bank but someone trying to get the information to actually scam her? Did she get a bill from her credit card company with the $1700 charge on it?

Just thinking here.

Due to my very frequent international travel, I often get calls from credit card security. Usually it goes something like this... 'Bavaria, we are calling from XYZ credit card company. Can you please verify some charges for us as they have been flagged? $999 on Tuesday in Delhi - is that familiar to you? Great, then we have $444 on Thursday in Frankfurt. ok? Do you recall your last charge that you made yesterday? can you tell me the approximate amount and location?'

They don't ask for any personal identifying information, and will usually ask about charges ie specific ones, as well as try and have me volunteer my last charge.

I get flagged not just for the travel but because I may be in three countries or states in three days, which is one trigger for fraud.

I don't think you have any obligation to "tell all". However, given the fact that you came to a Disney-focused public message board and implied that you may have been a victim of crime--at a specific resort, no less--I think you should at least let folks know whether there was actually a Disney link or not. Right now you've created a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt in the minds of people who are wondering whether there is an unaddressed problem occurring or not.

That was my intended point a few pages back but once again you have said it better than I. Had this thread been on the Budget Board or Community Board with a title 'my mom's credit card was fraudulently charged' it would have been a credit card security issue.

Posting it here with SSR in the title makes it appear to be a resort specific issue, yet it has not been determined that the resort or any staff were in fact involved. As I said earlier I am just trying to point that out as the housekeeper has no way of defending herself, yet her credibility has already been put in doubt by this thread.

Due to my very frequent international travel, I often get calls from credit card security. Usually it goes something like this... 'Bavaria, we are calling from XYZ credit card company. Can you please verify some charges for us as they have been flagged? $999 on Tuesday in Delhi - is that familiar to you? Great, then we have $444 on Thursday in Frankfurt. ok? Do you recall your last charge that you made yesterday? can you tell me the approximate amount and location?'

They don't ask for any personal identifying information, and will usually ask about charges ie specific ones, as well as try and have me volunteer my last charge.

I get flagged not just for the travel but because I may be in three countries or states in three days, which is one trigger for fraud.

Correct. This is one of the main triggers for cc fraud. Als, there are specific website/online purchases that sound the alarms. Also, any charges on a previously inactive card (like what the OP says happened) will cause the fraud squad to call.

The main thing, though, is that the cc company contacts you within 24 - 72 hours of the suspected fraudulent charges....not several weeks later as the OP is stating.

Due to my very frequent international travel, I often get calls from credit card security. Usually it goes something like this... 'Bavaria, we are calling from XYZ credit card company. Can you please verify some charges for us as they have been flagged?

I'm assuming that Deb & Bill was raising the possibilty that the phone call itself from "security" may have been fraudulent in nature.

Get the caller all worked up about the possibility of stolen CC / identity theft...use reassuring words ("just relax, I'm here to help you work through this")...without even realizing it, suddenly the cardholder is giving out confidential information to the oh-so helpful "security officer" (i.e. future identity thief.)

It's a low-tech version of today's email "phishing" schemes where you're pointed to a fake version of eBay or your bank's website and prompted to enter username, password, SSN, credit card number, and so forth.

I assume that you mostly wanted have folks commiserate with you over the unfortunate circumstances, but personally I probably would have waited until more facts were known before starting a thread entitled "SSR issue My mom's credit card was fraudulently charged."

While a tell-all is unnecessary, I think you owe it to folks to give some indication of whether a Disney and/or SSR link is indicated by the date / location / nature of the fraudulent charges.

I agree. I will give as much info as I can and then I will close the thread! It has caused our family much hard ache. It may seem simple to others but it has been a nightmare for our family! I will not reply to any other posts except for additional info on Monday if my Mom lets me do that. It is all about her!

I'm assuming that Deb & Bill was raising the possibilty that the phone call itself from "security" may have been fraudulent in nature.

Get the caller all worked up about the possibility of stolen CC / identity theft...use reassuring words ("just relax, I'm here to help you work through this")...without even realizing it, suddenly the cardholder is giving out confidential information to the oh-so helpful "security officer" (i.e. future identity thief.)

It's a low-tech version of today's email "phishing" schemes where you're pointed to a fake version of eBay or your bank's website and prompted to enter username, password, SSN, credit card number, and so forth.

Exactly. None of the calls request any type of personal information from me other than to perhaps verify the last four digits. And THEY always give that information and do not ask ME to provide any personal information.

If anyone does ask that, never give it out.

The main thing, though, is that the cc company contacts you within 24 - 72 hours of the suspected fraudulent charges....not several weeks later as the OP is stating.

You know, they DO always call me within 24-72 hours of the charge - believe me, I wouldn't recall charges on my card if it were any longer. :) Far too much gets charged in a month for me to remember each transaction. And I certainly don't know where I was two weeks ago etc - good thing that they DO call me within 24-72 hours

Exactly.

You know, they DO always call me within 24-72 hours of the charge - believe me, I wouldn't recall charges on my card if it were any longer. :) Far too much gets charged in a month for me to remember each transaction. And I certainly don't know where I was two weeks ago etc - good thing that they DO call me within 24-72 hours
Some financial institutions are much more aggressive than others in preventing fraud. Some call right away, some don't even look at the possibility of fraud until the statement is compiled, and others don't look at anything until the customer complains.

My experience with Citibank is exactly like your experience with your bank -- they call me before I even know there's a problem, and it's almost never a real problem. But not all institutions are that good.

Also, it doesn't take someone long to run up $1,700 in charges, so even if the institution was right on top of things they could still be looking at a sizeable problem by the time it pops up on their radar.

I don't see anything unusual in whatever delay the OP reports.

...I think you should at least let folks know whether there was actually a Disney link or not. Right now you've created a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt in the minds of people who are wondering whether there is an unaddressed problem occurring or not.
I respect OP's and her mother's privacy, but I think Tim has a good point here.

When you put something like this "out there," I think you incur an obligation to let people know that there either is or isn't a problem once you get the facts. Especially if those facts show that the problem did not originate at SSR.

OMG, I'm agreeing with Tim & Jim this morning:eek:

To the OP, your mom should get a Chase card. They call me if I go on a shoping spree at the local mall(more activity than usual), and various other times for things that don't appear to be "normal" for my account.

I had a HUGH problem with Chase. My CC# was stolen while in Florida too. We used it once at the Alamo counter so we know where it was stolen from. While I was in WDW my CC# was used in Canada to charge up over $8000.00 at an electonics store. I didn't notice until I got home and went online to pay the bill and noticed this charge. I called Chase and they made me jump through hoop to prove I didn't make those chrges. Even going as far as making me get a signed statement from the hotel manager stating I was there during the time frame of the charges!! (BTW the managment at SSR is wonderful!! They were so helpful.) I never charge more than $1000.00 at a time. They should have caught this. After 3 1/2 months I finally got the money back plus the interest that they made me pay until the matter was resolved. It took me another 3 months to close the account!! They wouldn't close it! I finally had to write a very nasty letter to the General Manager and the account was finally closed. I have never gone back to Chase. I now use my AMX. Now they know customer service!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter