• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery shopping during Coronavirus?

I just ordered pineapple dole mix from amazon. Can’t wait to try it at home in my new ice cream maker. It requires milk, so I have been freezing it in pint jars to use later.

We aren’t leaving the house for a month. My freezer will be empty for the first time ever. I hope there’s is something in the stores in May.

Well, I got a surprise this morning. 3-4 weeks ago, when I was trying online deliveries and deliver-to-trunk pickups, I tried Safeway's pickup order...and they cancelled on me with no notice (with me actually arriving at the store to find out), but they did give me a $30 gift card for my trouble...but I hadn't ordered from them since.

Well, this morning, in my email box, I got an apology and an offer to retry the service with a preset pickup slot just for me. In bad news, it's Easter Sunday at 3pm. In good news, we can't go anywhere, anyway, and my spouse said he'd pick it up if it meant we'd get fresh salmon for Monday's dinner.

So, I went ahead and threw in my weekly order. If they cancel with no warning again, I'm gonna be scrambling with Amazon (the one service that has come every time and that has gotten 85% of my grocery money last month - the only other place to get any was my misfit produce box)...and I'm gonna never try it again...but, here's hoping, b/c the $5/lb sirloin steak was also too good a price to pass up (steak and salmon sold me, b/c both are wildly unavailable around me and more than $10/lb for the worst cuts when they can be found for delivery)...

Glad I’m an amateur!
Not even kidding here. Chicken stock is dead easy to make (with or without chicken feet) and is the easiest way to make just about everything you cook taste better. Most shelf bought stock increases flavor by upping the salt, homemade cranks up the flavor instead AND it's economical.

The easiest way to start is buy a precooked roaster, have dinner, then cook down the carcass with an onion and celery. There are a ton of guides for this out there. Strain it well and there you go. Make a soup. Add to beans. Cook rice with it. You'll be amazed how good it tastes.

A lot of people just save chicken parts in the freezer till they have enough to make a batch of stock. Buy whole chickens. Cut out the backbone and wings, freeze them, cook the rest. After a few birds, make the stock.

I buy a couple of those 10 lb bag of chicken quarters (thighs and drumsticks) at the Mexican supermarket (and the chicken feet if they got it). I de-skin them all and reduce the fat. I will use that to make a confit of about half the drumsticks.

I then de-bone the thighs and reserve the meat. That can be used in a host of pre-made slow cooker meals you can store in the freezer. Recently I've been making roasted garlic chicken sausage with it.

Then I take all the rest and make stock. After cooking, straining and reducing, I typically will get about a gallon or so which I freeze.

Do you have to do all those different things? No, of course not. But what's great about it is you can when you finally feel adventurous.

Not even kidding here. Chicken stock is dead easy to make (with or without chicken feet) and is the easiest way to make just about everything you cook taste better. Most shelf bought stock increases flavor by upping the salt, homemade cranks up the flavor instead AND it's economical.

The easiest way to start is buy a precooked roaster, have dinner, then cook down the carcass with an onion and celery. There are a ton of guides for this out there. Strain it well and there you go. Make a soup. Add to beans. Cook rice with it. You'll be amazed how good it tastes.

A lot of people just save chicken parts in the freezer till they have enough to make a batch of stock. Buy whole chickens. Cut out the backbone and wings, freeze them, cook the rest. After a few birds, make the stock.

I buy a couple of those 10 lb bag of chicken quarters (thighs and drumsticks) at the Mexican supermarket (and the chicken feet if they got it). I de-skin them all and reduce the fat. I will use that to make a confit of about half the drumsticks.

I then de-bone the thighs and reserve the meat. That can be used in a host of pre-made slow cooker meals you can store in the freezer. Recently I've been making roasted garlic chicken sausage with it.

Then I take all the rest and make stock. After cooking, straining and reducing, I typically will get about a gallon or so which I freeze.

Do you have to do all those different things? No, of course not. But what's great about it is you can when you finally feel adventurous.

Don’t need a lesson. It’s still disgusting. Thanks, but no.

I have been spending $50-$100 more per week at the grocery store. I still am not quite used to shopping once a week. It almost brought me to tears to see how sparse most of the store was at 7:30am, today. (not one frozen veggie to be found) I am truly grateful for finding what I did and that the dedicated store employees were there, but I was upset seeing so many people without masks. I am planning on moving to once every two weeks or might break down and try a delivery service, though those spots are hard to come by. It is certainly making me consider how I can do these things better in the future!

Last edited:
I just ordered pineapple dole mix from amazon. Can’t wait to try it at home in my new ice cream maker. It requires milk, so I have been freezing it in pint jars to use later.

We aren’t leaving the house for a month. My freezer will be empty for the first time ever. I hope there’s is something in the stores in May.
Me too! Would love to hear how the Dole mix is!

My daughter got a Shoprite slot for next Thursday at 12:30 am today (I’ve had the cart filled for 2 weeks) snagged an instacart slot fot this afternoon this morning, my shopper is struggling, no oj, garlic, corn tortillas, almost everything was a substitution.

I have been spending $50-$100 more per week at the grocery store. I still am not quite used to shopping once a week. It almost brought me to tears to see how sparse most of the store was at 7:30am, today. (not one frozen veggie to be found) I am truly grateful for finding what I did and that the dedicated store employees were there, but I was upset seeing so many people without masks- and they were people my parents age!( They are over 65) I am planning on moving to once every two weeks or might break down and try a delivery service, though those spots are hard to come by. It is certainly making me consider how I can do these things better in the future!
The masks do nothing to protect the wearer, but maybe to others if the wearer is ill.

We've managed to stay out of the stores for weeks but it's time. We have an online grocery pick up from Walmart tonight and right after we will go to Costco. We have masks (yes, to potentially protect others) and we will be as careful as we can (not touching our faces, giving everyone 6 feet of space, cleaning our hands). I'm prepared for long lines because our Costco is doing a great job of social distancing and keeping the carts clean and only letting a few people in at a time. The parking lot line snakes in rows and pallets are laid out to show you how close you can be to the person in front of you. From the pictures I'm seeing online it can take up to an hour to get in. It's not tons of people but it has to be slow.So be it. I have a pretty big list and then we will not head out again for anything until the end of April for our next online order pick up.
I'm so excited for the car ride ... I can really relate to our dog right now:rolleyes:

The masks do nothing to protect the wearer, but maybe to others if the wearer is ill.
Exactly! My point- they did not want to protect the workers at the grocery store? I just don't get it! We really need to do all we can do to keep them safe, or at least safer

Well, it’s just about time for me to go out again but I really think something is wrong with my fridge. It won’t go below 40 degrees. I vacuumed the coils and cleaned the fridge. Checked the seal, paper held. Dropping the thermostat inside did nothing to the temperature so I know something is malfunctioning, I just don’t know what. Freezer appears to be fine. I would hate to buy a bunch of food & have it spoil.

Anything else someone can suggest I try? The fridge is not old but I already had to replace the circuit board on it a year and a half ago so if something else is wrong I may just give up and get another and write this one off as a lemon,

I have been spending $50-$100 more per week at the grocery store. I still am not quite used to shopping once a week. It almost brought me to tears to see how sparse most of the store was at 7:30am, today. (not one frozen veggie to be found) I am truly grateful for finding what I did and that the dedicated store employees were there, but I was upset seeing so many people without masks. I am planning on moving to once every two weeks or might break down and try a delivery service, though those spots are hard to come by. It is certainly making me consider how I can do these things better in the future!

I have been using a grocery service for 3 weeks now. I find I spend less this way. The one I use (Fastlane for Family Fare) shows the price per unit under all of the items. Need quart sized baggies? You see how much per baggie each different sized box is. Love that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter