Guess What I Was Just Told?i Have The Long Awaited Disney Perk,WE GET THE AP AND PAP

Originally posted by Doctor P
Guess the general rules for owning DVC have changed: we expect you to come multiple times a year, for at least 7 park days, get perfect weather, and don't you dare not set foot in a park on any day you come or you will lose money.

I understand your situation and realize APs don't fit everyone's travel plans, but I don't agree with your above statement. Yes, it's unfortunate that you will not be able to take advantage of this member perk but your membership in DVC has not changed since this perk was added. You can continue to vacation and buy passes as you see fit just as you have been because that's what works best for your family. Maybe down the road your travel plans will change and you can take advantage of an AP discount.

i'm sure this is a stupid question but what is a PAP? I know what an AP is and i feel really dumb not realizing what a PAP is. Thanks!

Originally posted by Doctor P
Obviously, I will calm down if there is more to the story.

Doctor P, you sound as if Disney is taking away an entitlement from you...it's a perk, not everyone will be able to use it, just like I'll probably never use the discounts they offer on restaurants or rental cars or shopping at my local Disney Store. At least a discounted AP/PAP is useful to many more people than an UPH/UPH/whatever the length of stay pass is called now. It just bytes for you and those in your situation, but it's not like they're purposefully saying 'lets not give him a discount'.

-Joe

This is great news...can anyone clarify what would happen if I upgraded our families AP's that will expire in Oct 05 to PAP's in Feb 05, or is this question a bit premature being it is not official news yet?

I think the idea of offering them on AP's is to get you to go into the Disney parks more often and spending money. With a park hopper, you are more likely to head off to Universal or have days not going to the park. If you want to just go to Epcot for dinner, would you want to waste a day on your park hopper? If you have an AP, you would more likely do it.

PAP = premium annual pass, good for the 4 parks + water parks, etc.

I'm also wondering if the same discount would apply to children. We have 4 kids, and those APs sure get expensive! Still cheaper to do 2 trips within 365 days on one AP, though, than to buy 2 separate 7 day PHs.

I take issue with the above posters--this perk is systematically cutting out a whole segment of DVC owners, a segment that I don't believe is a small one given other posts that I have seen on this board. Basically, what they are saying is we are not interested in giving you any special breaks on admission if you can't stay at least 8 days (and don't get me started about the inflated UPH pass costs). Now, if they said we will give you 25% off of the UPH, I would have to say, "OK I don't like the pass, but at least they are giving a comparable discount to people who aren't able to stay as many nights." And there would be no future liability since the UPH passes expire the day of check out. And, of course, dropping one or both of the beginning or closing days, as is done currently, goes without saying as a continued modicum of fairness.

I just bought our very first AP vouchers last week for our upcoming trip. I had a feeling this would happen. Well, at least it makes it worthwhile to renew our passes next year. We didn't know whether to renew or not after our year is up. This will help us decide!

Premium Annual Pass (Has like water park days, and pleasure island I think. Does it include the virtual reality stuff)?

Goldi

This is great news!
But I'm with the December crowd who are crying in their beer. I've been going back and forth on PH vs AP because we are only spending 5 days in the parks this year and 6-7 days next year (before APs would expire).

Ironically this "announcement" (such as it is) will convince me to definitely NOT buy APs this year, because I will be able to get them for a discount next year!

(goldilocks: PAP does include Disney Quest)

PAP includes all 4 parks plus the water parks, pleasure island, disneyquest and free parking

Wow Dr P, You are really bitter about the discount price on the APs instead of being happy that it will help out many of your fellow DVCers. Also If you havent noticed, the lower prices will mean a lower day/cost breakpoint. Like 4-5 days, which nearly everybody can do in a year. So im not really sure what the fuss is about since with this short amount of time, and the fact that many DVCer stay at least that long, if not longer.

I like the fact that with the APs we wont feel as stressed to go out and do every day as we will be adjusting our vacation to go twice while the AP will be active, and will easily make the AP cost effective.

Go AP DISCOUNT! :hyper:

Thanks to the OP for posting this news! I am happy they are giving us this perk!

I am assuming they will give the discount to the names on the contract????

pinnie

No matter what Disney does not everyone is happy. This thread is too funny. "Members who don't buy APs are screwed" WHY? Disney isn't MAKING anyone do anything. A perk is a benefit you can chose to take advantage of or not. It is your choice If this is true you will have TWO discount options on your tickets. That would be better than nothing which is all you are actually entitled to.

You bought a place to sleep, as long as you get that Disney has lived up to the deal you made. Anything else is gravy!

If this discount is true it looks like we'll be renewing our APs next year! What did someone say the break even on a renewal would be? 5 or 6 days?

Because the cost of a 5 or 6 day Hopper ticket will be the same as buying an AP with a DVC discount. So, why not go ahead and buy the AP. An AP gives you so much more freedom. You don't feel that you have to stay all day at the parks like you do when you use a day on a Park Hopper ticket. When you have an AP you feel that you can easily leave a park if it is really busy and maybe head to DTD or somewhere else.

I think this news is fantastic. I really hope it is true.
Sorry DoctorP, but most folks are pleased about this.

Originally posted by CarolA
No matter what Disney does not everyone is happy. This thread is too funny. "Members who don't buy APs are screwed" WHY? Disney isn't MAKING anyone do anything. A perk is a benefit you can chose to take advantage of or not. It is your choice If this is true you will have TWO discount options on your tickets. That would be better than nothing which is all you are actually entitled to.

You bought a place to sleep, as long as you get that Disney has lived up to the deal you made. Anything else is gravy!

ITA!!!!!

Come on folks, this is a GOOD thing. They don't have to throw anything our way!!!!

pinnie

I guess that I'm just supposed to shut up and fade into the background and let everyone have their day in the sun and rub it in the faces of those of us who are unable to buy an annual pass. I appreciate your sensitivity and concern to members who are neither as wealthy nor have as accomodating a job as you must have. But, apparently the answer is to just shut up because those of us who really count will benefit. Sorry for expressing an opinion that affects far more DVC'ers than the elitists would like to believe.

I'm wondering what inpact this will have on FL resident seasonal annual passes. We own a small house in St Augustine, Fl that was to be our winter home. Well that never has come to pass but we still own the property. In Sept we bought new Seasonal APs for the both of us and our grandson. I am not sure how this will work for us. Will it be cheaper to buy APs or PAPs than for Fl resident passes. Maybe we would not be affected at all. Maybe we'll have to continue with what we've got. I am not bitter that others have this perk. I'm glad more of us can use the parks when we want. I can only use my pass in non busy times with no summers or holidays. You folks can use your passes any time. Hooray for you. Your sucess doesn't take anything away from me just cause I can't use it!

I think it is great we will get at least 3 trips out of an annual pass each year
We dont always take advantage of the renewal price but that is just how it works out. This will allow us to buy the PAP instead of AP or really save on AP's

Win or Win for us!

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter