• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Guests spreading Disney Magic

A couple of years ago a friend of mine gave me his box seats for the Hollywood Bowl--his only requirement was that we had to give out glow sticks at intermission--he bought a huge lot of them at the beginning of every season and it was his tradition to give 100 or so of them out to kids at intermission. Well, we did it--and also couldn't believe how hard it was to give them away! People are just so darned suspicious . . . . usually when I explained to the parent that it was really 'free' and that we didn't want anything in return other than the smile on their kid's face they would relent.

:confused3

DBF and I once took a bunch of Disney stuffed animal (small ones, like beanine baby size) to DL. There's a grabber machine at the Edgewater in Laughlin that I win everytime. I have so many little Disney stuffed toys that DBF said I had to get rid of some. I didn't want to throw them out so we decided to give them away at DL. We always asked the parents first but most of the people said yes but they did kinda look at us funny. Maybe if we had had a kid with us and he/she was the one giving them out it would have been different? I don't know. We only had one person say no. It was nice to see how happy the kids were and you know how expensive stuffed animal are at DL.

We had a guest spread some real magic to us. She gave DD4 her Dream Ears!!!
katiedreamears.jpg

We were able to spread some magic by giving away a few extra fastpasses that we had and some of the extra light sticks we had.

Two questions . . . . I noticed many people giving away unused DDP credits . . . I thought that the credits were non-transferable? I can see how you could get away with it for CS meals but do you have trouble with unused TS credits?

Second--has anyone ever encountered issues bringing in a bunch of glowsticks or other treats to the park? I would like to do this when I go to WDW in November.

Thanks!
We took LOTS of glow bracelets to WDW one Christmas and passed them out. We always asked the parents before asking the children if they wanted one, then would let the child chose a color. Our kids had several on each wrist so they would see kids in line "eyeing" them and then would ask the parent and if they got the ok go from there. Almost everybody was thrilled to get one or more. One person asked how much $ we wanted :lmao:. We loved doing that. This year we would like to do it again. Also want to get some "mickey" playing cards and pass them out. We love to play cards while waiting in line and waiting for meals.

We always take ponchos from the dollar store with us to stay dry on Kali River Rapids at AK...then look for people to give them to as we exit.

On our last night in MK we were dining at Crystal Palace. At the table next to us a very sweet little girl and her mother were celebrating the little girl's birthday. We were very tired and ready to go and we had 5 fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear. I decided to see if they wanted them. The mother was very appreciative and told me that's the only thing her daughter would ride so I was very glad I could help them. Also on the way out my mother saw a fellow grandmother that could barely walk and had a cane. My mother offered her the ecv rental with the promise she would return it when done. It felt so good to be helping out fellow disney world visitors!

when we arrived in Orlando we bought an umbrella stroller at Walmart. We didn't want to bring it back with us. When we arrived at the airport I saw a family that was getting their car rental as we were returning ours. They had a son about the same age as mine and we offered them our stroller. They were so grateful, they were going to rent one everyday at the parks. It felt good :lovestruc

Two questions . . . . I noticed many people giving away unused DDP credits . . . I thought that the credits were non-transferable? I can see how you could get away with it for CS meals but do you have trouble with unused TS credits?

Second--has anyone ever encountered issues bringing in a bunch of glowsticks or other treats to the park? I would like to do this when I go to WDW in November.

Thanks!

We brought 50 glowsticks (transformed to necklaces) to MK in Dec 2006. We were meeting a group, so handed them out to them, and the rest to random people...the kids LOVE it, but ALWAYS asked permission and (of course) made sure every sibling got one!!! It is the Disney Way!!! It was FUN!!!

:dance3: :grouphug: :dance3:

We give out FastPasses on a regular basis....some people are skeptical, but all appreciative in the end.

My now Hubby says I should be a CM, because I am constantly giving directions and advice to guests that look "lost". It's fun to help.

My story is a small thing compared to what others have written about, but whenever I think of this I get tears in my eyes.
We were at a gift shop at MGM on the first day of our trip. DS was wearing a buzz lightyear lanyard with a couple pins from the starter set we had purchased this morning. ( had no idea he would get into the whole pin thing so much! LOL) DS uses a wheelchair, has cerebral palsy and is nonverbal. A boy about 10 years old comes up to him and asks him if he has any pins to trade. I explain that he can't talk but would love to trade! DS had a huge smile on his face. You may wonder why this seemingly ordinary moment is so magical to me. It's because people are often hesitant around DS, don't say hi, etc. But this boy just seemed to be able to overlook DS's disability and concentrate on the pin trading! LOL He wasn't even fazed when I said DS can't talk. He just pointed at the pins on DS's lanyard to show which ones he liked.
Anyway I just wanted to share how a small thing to one person can make a big difference to someone else.:wizard:

What a beautiful story... it gave me the chills and brought tears to my eyes thinking how magical Disney makes everyone feel. Thanks for sharing it!

::MickeyMo

I kind of feel like I'm tooting my horn, but I love telling this story. I was in WDW in 2002 and visited MK on a particularly busy day at the end of May. I was crossing the bridge from Main Street, USA to Adventureland and saw a man trying to take a picture of his family. Now, I've seen many people try to get a picture on this bridge with the castle in the background, and have much success. This man, however, despite his pleas to all that passed to stop for a moment, could not have his wish granted. The man and his family were African-American, and while I know the majority of the people walking by were just in a rush to get where they were going, I suspect a few were ignoring him simply because they have not realized the Civil War ended almost two centuries ago.

Those who know me know that I have a voice that naturally carries. The look on the man's face was sadness that he couldn't get a picture. So I stepped in and from the middle of the bridge asked everyone to stop for a moment, stepping in front of a few people to make sure they understood me. I said that this man just wanted to take a quick picture of his family. I received a few angry stares, but I didn't bother me. The man was about to take the picture when I told him that I would take it for him. He did not say anything because I he was so surprised that someone would do this for him. I took the picture and handed him his camera and began to alk away. He then said in a great southern drawl, "Wait! Hold on a minute!" I turned around, seeing a man drawn to tears. "Thank you for doing that. That was awesome. What's youre name?" I told him my name was Brian and he says, "Brian, you alright." His family then comes over and gives me a big group hug. They were crying and it made me cry happy tears and they said they would never forget this moment. I hope they don't. I never will.

ahhh... that's such a nice story... another one that brought a tear to my eye...

Now I don't normally "toot my horn" but this was a great teachable moment for my kids. Random acts of kindness you know!!

We went during Easter week last year. We were staying at POP and so you all know where the line for the bus is - feels like 20 miles away. We left EPCOT and were standing in line for the bus. There was a family with a stroller. The poor little girl was sleeping and the mom was trying to wake her up so she could collapse it. I honestly don't remember where her DH was so I offered to hold the little girl. Her mom looked so relieved. I got on the bus with her and held her the whole way back. My DS and DD were 9 and 7 at the time and so my arms were not really used to the carrying thing but the look on the mom's face was so worth it. The little girl even woke up at one point, looked at me and fell right back to sleep. So cute!!

The day before we were checking out 4 y/o DD insisted on getting a big Cars balloon as a souvenir for her friend Luke back home. We tried to explain we couldn't bring it on the plane but she had to have it - it was the only souvenir she wanted. So I bought it ($9! for a balloon!!!) and the rest of the day she beamed about Luke's balloon. Our plan was to deflate it and bring it back but then DD decided while we were checking out to give it away. We asked the concierge to give it to a boy who was checking in that day. So we snapped a picture of the balloon for Luke and hopefully made another boy happy.

Needless to say I was beyond proud of DD and will always smile when I think of that $9 balloon.

Typically, we would buy a weeks worth of Stroller rental. Without fail, we have a day or two left at the end of our time. We always look for someone lugging around thier bundle of joy, in addition to all the necessities of a toddler=multiple packs. Nothing is so sweet than to see thier faces light up. One time the young mom started to cry...we did too!

We have also given away fast passes to families. At the end of our time...sometimes we would go back to the hotel for a powernap to prepare for the evening...we will find people to give our passes.
We love playing Santa!!!

I think my dream job would be to be on the Dream Team Patrol!

We won four dream fastpasses in epcot but since our girls were too little to go on the majority of the eligible rides, dh gave them to a dad and his daughter. he was very happy.
we gave our tinkerbell "one to give" pin to a little girl with a nice collection of pins. her parents seemed very suspicious of us though for giving something for free.:rotfl2:

We gave away the last two seats on our illuminations cruise to a mom and her 9 year old daughter. It was fabulous!

We were visiting WDW for Christmas and had tickets to the candle light procession with kirk cameron. well, it was our first night, and we were all exhausted. We got our stickers and dragged ourselves over to the american pavillion. it was too much, so i spotted a group of adults and gave them our tickets. they were so excited they didn't have to stand in line, because by this time, all the stand by section was gone. they were all from england, visiting for the holiday and I was happy that I was able to give them a little of what is important to me. On Christmas day, we walked around all the parks handing out stickers to all the kids we could. It was a little disheartening because parents were literally dragging their own children so fast they couldn't even grab a sticker in time. Since I had gotten about 2000 stickers to give out, we gave to every CM we saw too. She rcvd a special drink with a blue glowing ice cube from the CM's at the luau who said it was hers because she was so nice to share her stickers. It was a great last night before coming home.

On our last trip we were lucky enough to get Dream Fast Passes as we got off BTMRR. We only had 2 hours left in MK before we had to catch our ride back to the airport. We did our best to use all the passes but had 3 left on each of the passes. I told my kids to look for a family on Main Street that we could give them away to. My son found one and we made their day. You would have thought we gave their daughter a million dollars. It made our already good trip even better.

Hope we can get some magic when we go back in August.

My little princess on our first visit to the world was scared to see fantasmic, so my wife and her stayed at the bottom of the hill waiting for me to get done watching the show. We had purchased about 50-60 glow sticks from a dollar store prior to leaving for the trip. anyway, my wife said emily wanted to get every little kid she saw a glow stick, so for the hour or so that fantasmic lasted she handed out glow sticks/necklaces to little kids that were walking past. it was one of the highlights of the trip for her. she still talks about how much fun it was to see the kids happy with the glow sticks. :yay:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh she sounds like such a sweetie pie.:hug:

I was waiting in tomorrow land for the rest of my group to use the bathrooms and I spotted a little girl around 4yo sitting with her mother. The girl had on a beautiful white gown so I walked over and said "I can tell you are a princess. Which one are you?" She gave me a big grin and said "Cinderella Bride." I gave a huge gasp and said "I have never seen Cinderella Bride here before! Would you sign my map?" She looked at her mom and gave her a private smile like they were really putting one over on me and then signed my map in her cute, crooked writing. As I thanked her, her mother mouthed the words "Thank you." over her head. All of a sudden I realized that I had accidentally created a little magic. Yeah me!:yay:

What a wonderful thing to do. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter