Has anyone beside Enna heard of this $95 nonsense?

In my case I made several contacts with MS over several months to fix my problem to no avail. They had plenty of oppertunity to make things right and they didn't. That's why I went over his head.

In the current situation, this is a policy change. Mr. Lewis is aware of the change because he made it. He is in favor of the policies or else he wouldn't of made them. I don't think that going over his head is out of line in this case.

Sorry... I was being sarcastic. I absolutely believe in climbing the ladder until you get your problem solved.

I do think you are missing a little bit when you state that every decision is based on profitability. I know for a fact that decisions are made that cut into profits, but are made because it pleases the customer.

I think you are looking at things from the very top of the corporate structure where your job would be to make sure the company is profitable. Down the command chain there are many levels of managers who make decisions solely based on pleasing the customer base. I would think the majority of decision makers at Disney fall into the latter category.

I for one still love Disney, DVC, and how they do things. If I could, I would put Disney in charge of our country.

This change ($95 charge for staying at a non-DVC WDW resort) changes everything for us. I am SO glad we haven't added on to our contract, and will not be doing so now.

This was one of the big selling points for us when we bought into DVC. I thought the large number of points they charged for the non-DVC rooms made up for the 'cost' involved with booking at one of those resorts. This is so disappointing.
DJ

This change is just awful.:sad2: If they were going to add a cost, they could at least lower the point costs for the Disney Collection. This has to go. It makes me feel as though we were suckered into DVC based on perks that they had no intentions on keeping. What will be next? Will we then be charged for booking a reservation outside of our home resort?:mad:

I do think you are missing a little bit when you state that every decision is based on profitability. I know for a fact that decisions are made that cut into profits, but are made because it pleases the customer.

That's true but it's difficult to have any meaningful discussion without specifics. If the Disney Collection program was already running at a loss, it's only going to get worse as membership grows. Is Disney losing hundreds of dollars per year on Disney Collection bookings? Thousands? Tens-of-thousands? As a manager, it's difficult to keep endorsing a goodwill gesture when the hole is getting bigger and bigger.

I can understand why DVC went with a fee. If they instead raised the point requirements a little higher, that's just more points for DVC to try and rent. The fee gives them cash in the bank to cover overhead. The unfortunate part is that the fee is weighted in the favor of longer stays. Is anyone EVER going to book one night at a moderate (when unable to get a DVC room) using points? Who would ever pay $95 PLUS a dozen or so DVC points for a moderate resort room? But, if someone wants to spend a week at the Poly on points, $95 isn't much to fret about at less than $15 per night.

More than anything I have to admit I'm disappointed in the way that Jim Lewis' statements in Vacation Magic communicate the change. He should have been more direct rather than leaving people to read between the lines.

Seems like lots of folks getting worked up over a cost that 99% of DVC membership will never see. It was made clear to me at signing that except for a room at my home resort all other perks were subject to change. Especially anything outside DVC. WDW resorts, dining plan, magic express, even bus transportation is subject to WDW rules and fees, DVC can't control any of it they do have some negotiating power but that's all. We've always accepted a fee for booking outside Disney and this is really no different. Besides we're talking $95. per transaction not really a significant cost when planning a Disney vacation, the cost of just about everything has gone up. I know some disagree but I would never give up my DVC suite for a hotel room anyway. JMHO....

We have been planning a major add on within the next year but I have to say that is definetly on hold. If things continue on this path we will just pay CRO for our additional trips rather than give DVC any more business.

That's true but it's difficult to have any meaningful discussion without specifics. If the Disney Collection program was already running at a loss, it's only going to get worse as membership grows. Is Disney losing hundreds of dollars per year on Disney Collection bookings? Thousands? Tens-of-thousands? As a manager, it's difficult to keep endorsing a goodwill gesture when the hole is getting bigger and bigger.

I can understand why DVC went with a fee. If they instead raised the point requirements a little higher, that's just more points for DVC to try and rent. The fee gives them cash in the bank to cover overhead. The unfortunate part is that the fee is weighted in the favor of longer stays. Is anyone EVER going to book one night at a moderate (when unable to get a DVC room) using points? Who would ever pay $95 PLUS a dozen or so DVC points for a moderate resort room? But, if someone wants to spend a week at the Poly on points, $95 isn't much to fret about at less than $15 per night.

More than anything I have to admit I'm disappointed in the way that Jim Lewis' statements in Vacation Magic communicate the change. He should have been more direct rather than leaving people to read between the lines.

Lord knows that they need more cash in the bank. 1.1 billion in profit isn't much when you think about it. ;)

Maybe their hoping that we will forfeit more points every year. $95 dollar fee, bank in 8. :idea:

Less DVC bookings and more availability for CRO to book. The next thing you know, they will be changing the name to attract additional cash Guests. :thumbsup2

Seems like lots of folks getting worked up over a cost that 99% of DVC membership will never see. It was made clear to me at signing that except for a room at my home resort all other perks were subject to change. Especially anything outside DVC. WDW resorts, dining plan, magic express, even bus transportation is subject to WDW rules and fees, DVC can't control any of it they do have some negotiating power but that's all. We've always accepted a fee for booking outside Disney and this is really no different. Besides we're talking $95. per transaction not really a significant cost when planning a Disney vacation, the cost of just about everything has gone up. I know some disagree but I would never give up my DVC suite for a hotel room anyway. JMHO....

We certainly didn't buy into DVC for any of the "perks" despite how "flexible" the program was presented so I might agree with this if this change wasn't another symptom of what is to us, a much larger problem at DVC.

- The waitlist process is very flawed right now, with many examples of people reporting they can make phone calls to check on their waitlist status and miraculously during their call, their waitlist comes through.

- DVC Housekeeping needs major improvement. Disney knows how understaffed this area is, yet they keep building more DVCs.

- DVC Maintenence needs major improvement. There is no way right now I'd hand over any more money to extend a 2042 contract, when Disney has trouble maintaining their DVC rooms now. I'd hate to think what disrepair those rooms will be in a few years from now, or more importantly the last 10 years of any contract.

- All of the job out-sourcing bothers us. The recent mess with members being charged for Valet Parking is a shining example.

That's just a start. Overall, right now I feel like we'd get better service and a better maintained room if we were a Deluxe hotel guest. :sad1:

We certainly didn't buy into DVC for any of the "perks" despite how "flexible" the program was presented so I might agree with this if this change wasn't another symptom of what is to us, a much larger problem at DVC.

- The waitlist process is very flawed right now, with many examples of people reporting they can make phone calls to check on their waitlist status and miraculously during their call, their waitlist comes through.

- DVC Housekeeping needs major improvement. Disney knows how understaffed this area is, yet they keep building more DVCs.

- DVC Maintenence needs major improvement. There is no way right now I'd hand over any more money to extend a 2042 contract, when Disney has trouble maintaining their DVC rooms now. I'd hate to think what disrepair those rooms will be in a few years from now, or more importantly the last 10 years of any contract.

- All of the job out-sourcing bothers us. The recent mess with members being charged for Valet Parking is a shining example.

That's just a start. Overall, right now I feel like we'd get better service and a better maintained room if we were a Deluxe hotel guest. :sad1:

All very true and well put. The sad thing is it's just a start on the list of problems. Maybe we should start a running list thread of complaints. We could refer the Disney Brass to the DIS Boards. :thumbsup2

Well the next set of referral cards I receive in the mail, I will put a stamp on each one and mail them back to DVC letting them know why I will not be referring any friends or family in the near future:rotfl:

Everyone else that is disappointed in the recent changes, should do the same. Turn their marketing materials right back on them.:wizard:

Here's the text of my email going to DVC member satisfaction

Dear Member Satisfaction team,

I’m writing to express my disappointment with finding out about the upcoming increase in fees to members who use their points to stay at Non DVC WDW Resorts.

This is being discussed on discussion boards and quite a few members are unhappy. Many believe this is a continuation of a slow process that is eroding the perceived value of DVC (and the overall WDW experience, particularly in dining) in exchange for maximizing profits. Please forward to management so that they can have the opportunity to address this situation and others so the perceptions can be reversed.

Thanks,

Here's the text of my email going to DVC member satisfaction

Dear Member Satisfaction team,

I’m writing to express my disappointment with finding out about the upcoming increase in fees to members who use their points to stay at Non DVC WDW Resorts.

This is being discussed on discussion boards and quite a few members are unhappy. Many believe this is a continuation of a slow process that is eroding the perceived value of DVC (and the overall WDW experience, particularly in dining) in exchange for maximizing profits. Please forward to management so that they can have the opportunity to address this situation and others so the perceptions can be reversed.

Thanks,

Your's is so much nicer.

Dear Member Satisfaction Team:

Who's the knucklehead who thought of charging $95 to use your points at a WDW resort where there was no charge before, bill it as simplifiying things, all the while changing banking options making it so easy even a DVC member can do it? We don't like it when in the same year you report record profits you go after us, your most loyal customers, to squeeze a little more. Lets just hope no one asks me about DVC while I'm riding a crowded bus to MK.

Thanks,

BEACHCLUBVILLAS,

Hey what can I say, I work in corporate managment; I've developed a diplomatic style in writing. We'll see what kind of response I get. If you send yours, I'd be interested to see what kind of response you get. Good chance we may get the same response!
Peace

These are good points!

Frankly, I don't feel as good about my DVC having looking at the latest lies in the Vacation Magazine.

Yeah, it's all about keeping it $imple for me.

And the outsourcing of jobs and decline in upkeep of the parks bother me A LOT.

I thought Jim Lewis was good for DVC, but after last years Member Cruise, I knew I was on a sinking ship:rotfl:

Get ready folks, because you aint seen nothin yet!

Im just trying to hold on til March 08 before I start unloading.

WHAT!!! LIFERBABE dumping points!! I thought I was riled up about this change but holy cow folks this girl means business!

I actually agree on this one. I am NOT liking the change at all (I just do not see any justification for it), but the reality is...I will never use it. I am STILL much more upset over the "one transfer rule" than anything else. Although I do not like this change, I always thought the WDW hotel rooms were too overpriced (in terms of points) to use my points for them anyway.

Now....the ABSOLUTE "kicker" for me, and the one that would cause me to put my points up for sale immediately would be if DVC were to seriously hinder our "home advantage". If they ever make changes that make "all points equal" for booking....I would be out of here SOOO quickly.

There are other changes that would affect me as well (such as big increases in MF's)....but, the home advantage is my biggie!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter