Hawaii 2020

We are thinking about booking an ocean view. Is that too claustrophobic for 5 sea days? What is the weather like crossing the Pacific? I am guessing chilly...

Weather wise you really can't predict.
I've been to California in Early April and the water Temperature was frigid but the weather out was mild and sunny. My coworkers at my old company had a conference out that way a few years before that in Late April to Early May and both the weather and the weather temperatures were cold they were so happy to return home.

You really never know.

We are thinking about booking an ocean view. Is that too claustrophobic for 5 sea days? What is the weather like crossing the Pacific? I am guessing chilly...
I don't know how much time you spend in your stateroom? We are almost never there!! Spa days, bingo, family trivia, shows and movies in the Walt Disney Theater, breakfast at Cabanas, lunch outside on Deck 9, cooking lessons at Studio Sea [a special treat for longer cruises only!] coffee at Cove Café, and so much more! Also many decks like Deck 4 with cushy loungers always available, as well as by the pools!! Pacific means peaceful and we are sailing earlier than the Hawaiian hurricane season which is happening now in my home state of Hawaii! Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

I booked it this morning as B2B using placeholders and at first DCL told me the 9A cat was already gone (at 9:30am) but when they refreshed their screen one popped up and I snagged it. Didn't look like the price had gone up since I got on hold at 8am for my TA.

Don't have the breakdown but pricing was 4409 for the 9 night and 4412 for the 10 night (strange isn't it, an extra day for $3) using OOB for 1 adult...no ins, air, trans.

One thing to keep in mind, some folks are just putting in a "hold" before committing which DCL allows for 3 days (I think). So the category you want may come back available later.

I'm pretty claustrophobic, so I could never book an inside room, but ocean view would be fine for me. While we prefer having a balcony, our very first cruise was in an ocean view (with one tiny port hole that you had to climb up on the bed to see out of). We loved it, and I wouldn't hesitate to book ocean view if a balcony wasn't in the budget. If you think about it, it's no different than most hotel rooms these days. So many don't have balconies or even windows that open. If that doesn't bother you, I think you'd be fine in an OV.

We do spend a lot of time in our stateroom, but I think it's because we normally have a balcony. If we didn't have one, we'd just go elsewhere on the ship. It's kind of a chicken or the egg scenario, you know?

I don't know how much time you spend in your stateroom? We are almost never there!! Spa days, bingo, family trivia, shows and movies in the Walt Disney Theater, breakfast at Cabanas, lunch outside on Deck 9, cooking lessons at Studio Sea [a special treat for longer cruises only!] coffee at Cove Café, and so much more! Also many decks like Deck 4 with cushy loungers always available, as well as by the pools!! Pacific means peaceful and we are sailing earlier than the Hawaiian hurricane season which is happening now in my home state of Hawaii! Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

We normally get a balcony and do spend some time there. It is more that we like the option then that we use it a ton. We normall do typically Caribbean sailings. The Hawaii cruise is completely different.

We're booked on the 10 night. We have an outside stateroom as we are expecting it to be chilly so we expect that we wouldn't use the verandah much (if it ends up warmer than expected, that's okay there are plenty of spots to enjoy being outside). This is about the same time of year the first DCL Hawaii cruise in 2012 and that crossing was CHILLY (and I remember a few rainy nights). The time in Hawaii was sunny and warm but the crossing was different. I think that caught a lot of people off guard as DCL sold A LOT of sweatshirts and jackets on that cruise. So we're planning on it being cool and having plenty of activities to keep us busy. If you think you'd be okay in an Oceanview, I don't think the 5 days will be an issue.

We're booked on the 10 night. We have an outside stateroom as we are expecting it to be chilly so we expect that we wouldn't use the verandah much (if it ends up warmer than expected, that's okay there are plenty of spots to enjoy being outside). This is about the same time of year the first DCL Hawaii cruise in 2012 and that crossing was CHILLY (and I remember a few rainy nights). The time in Hawaii was sunny and warm but the crossing was different. I think that caught a lot of people off guard as DCL sold A LOT of sweatshirts and jackets on that cruise. So we're planning on it being cool and having plenty of activities to keep us busy. If you think you'd be okay in an Oceanview, I don't think the 5 days will be an issue.

Thanks. That was sort of my thinking. Just trying to figure out what to book tomorrow since it seems like it is selling fast.

As far as weather. From September 7 through 13, we could not comfortably use our veranda for the most part. Did we sit out? Yes a little bit. It was windy and chilly crossing the Pacific from Vancouver. We definitly stayed out once we were in Hawaii.

Last edited:
When were the Hawaii cruise dates? I know I saw someone post them on here, but can't seem to find them. Disney's website has the working on it screen so can't look there. I'm thinking of booking either a New Orleans cruise or the Hawaii cruise for 2020, but I'm going to be trying to get pregnant in the beginning of the year so not sure if it'll actually work out with the dates. The deposits are refundable right?

When were the Hawaii cruise dates? I know I saw someone post them on here, but can't seem to find them. Disney's website has the working on it screen so can't look there. I'm thinking of booking either a New Orleans cruise or the Hawaii cruise for 2020, but I'm going to be trying to get pregnant in the beginning of the year so not sure if it'll actually work out with the dates. The deposits are refundable right?

As long as you're not going concierge.

I thought that DCL allowed the illegal b2b for the May cruises, but made people cancel one of the illegal b2b segments for the return trip in September.
They "allowed" it by making those that were booked on the B2B pack up, debark, go through customs & immigration and re-check in (into a different room).

But, while I have no confirmation of it, I think they ate the $300 per person fine that went with it.

Not shocked they are going fast the pricing is not unreasonable it seems and a lot of people are waiting for Hawaii. I hope they won't wait 5 years to do more of them and will do a summer sailing..

Amen! ::yes::

Just worried may not be available tomorrow. We have been waiting for Hawaii.

I will be surprised if you don't have a decent selection if you can be flexible on category and exact room. I'm betting lots of rooms have been placed on a 3 day hold since this is a seldom seen Itin. Good luck!!! If it's slim tomorrow, grab something that will work and keep watching availability. I know for a FACT the website does not (or at least WAS NOT showing) showing all available rooms. Almost all that showed in 5C or 5B were only on the port side. Odd....

I don't think so! Not if you are sure to book a Deck 2 OV with the large porthole. I don't think I would like the 2 small portholes. I'd almost rather have NO window in that scenario. I did the 14 night Hawaii DCL sailing in Sept 2012 in an Inside room. I'm accustomed to verandah rooms but it really didn't bother me at all. And we had EIGHT sea days!! :thumbsup2

What is the benefit of transferring to Costco?

If you are a Costco member, you can transfer to Costco Travel as your TA and after you complete your cruise, you will get a Costco cash card equal to around 7% of the cost of your cruise base rate (so that won't be based on taxes/port fees, insurance, transfers, etc.).

We also booked this morning. Deck 7 with Veranda for 2 adults on the 9 night with insurance was just under $8,000. We plan to go to Aulani afterwards.
On a different note, I love your 2 little Doxies!! Just a small person in a fur coat!! See you on the Wonder, and we have 3 little Doxies, Willie and Scooby and Susie is a sweet little old rescue!!Aloha, Karen

For those who did the previous Hawaii sailing, did the internet work okay during the crossing? Not being able to communicate back home for five days would be a problem for me.

The Hawaii pricing does seem to be okay, although that might just be because they are one way. I'm leaning more toward PC though because I'm feeling like we could spend more time actually flying to Hawaii and staying in Hawaii rather than sailing there and getting only one day in each port. I've never been to Hawaii.

The Hawaii pricing does seem to be okay, although that might just be because they are one way. I'm leaning more toward PC though because I'm feeling like we could spend more time actually flying to Hawaii and staying in Hawaii rather than sailing there and getting only one day in each port. I've never been to Hawaii.

Hawaii is my favorite place anywhere!! You MUST go sometime! :cutie:

I feel like the 1 way Hawaii cruises work better for most folks as they can choose to spend as much time as they want pre/post cruise. To your point, on a R/T 14 night, which I did in 2012, it was awesome especially if you love sea days like I do, but if you want to see Hawaii, I call a cruise a "taster". You just get a lovely sampling of all the beauty that is Hawaii. :love:

Hawaii is my favorite place anywhere!! You MUST go sometime! :cutie:

I feel like the 1 way Hawaii cruises work better for most folks as they can choose to spend as much time as they want pre/post cruise. To your point, on a R/T 14 night, which I did in 2012, it was awesome especially if you love sea days like I do, but if you want to see Hawaii, I call a cruise a "taster". You just get a lovely sampling of all the beauty that is Hawaii. :love:
We've been to Hawaii multiple times before we ever cruised there. Since we like cruising, the round trip Hawaii works good for us (we've done 2). Long cruise with a little Hawaii beach-time in the middle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter