Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has the same info on its website. DHSMV

I'm not getting an IDL unless this isn't cleared up closer to my March break trip.

Well hallelujah, some common sense in action. Good news. Thanks for posting this. Now I can forget about that trip to CAA.

I'm so confused now!!!! Is it safer to obtain the IDP? Should we trust the news who says it will not be enforced?

Well hallelujah, some common sense in action. Good news. Thanks for posting this. Now I can forget about that trip to CAA.

The problem is that it wasn't really common sense that stopped all this. That's what leaves me shaking my head. It was the fact that law conflicts with an international treaty signed by the US. If it didn't, we might still be in this swirl.

I'm still trying to figure out how a law got written without someone figuring out that it violated a treaty. Or without exempting English speaking countries right off the bat, since (as others have pointed out) the IDP is nothing more than a translation of the license, not a license itself.

DH also picked his up today. The CAA agent told him the language and the description of license class is what the IDP is SUPPOSED to show.

Right now we just have a 36 dollar souvenir of a trip that hasn't happened yet :rolleyes1

OK...so.....yes we need it, no we don't, or we get it just in case? I'm sooo confused!

What worries me is, we leave in 3 weeks, and renting a car. What if they get things figured right before we go and then decide we do need one??

Also why is this something only CAA offers and not the Registry of Motor Vehicles...seems odd to me. Finally, do you have to be a CAA member to get one and is it something they issue right then and there or do you have to wait like you do a passport? Our closest CAA office is an hour away :(

Again, soooo frustrated!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

OK...so.....yes we need it, no we don't, or we get it just in case? I'm sooo confused!

What worries me is, we leave in 3 weeks, and renting a car. What if they get things figured right before we go and then decide we do need one??

Also why is this something only CAA offers and not the Registry of Motor Vehicles...seems odd to me. Finally, do you have to be a CAA member to get one and is it something they issue right then and there or do you have to wait like you do a passport? Our closest CAA office is an hour away :(

Again, soooo frustrated!

You don't need to be a member.

I'd wait a couple of days and let the dust settle. I'm sure we'll hear more in the next little bit.

It looks like the latest update is no you don't need it. That this law is actually illegal and cannot be enforced. The US signed something in the 1949 Geneva convention that makes this new law illegal. Florida apparently didn't know that at the time they passed this law. They can't change it until they reconvene in March so it's still technically on the books but they can't enforce a state law that against Federal law.

RainbowsMist said:

Again, soooo frustrated!

You don't need to be a member . My husband went today, picked up the form and when he returns with the form completed, the caa office take your picture and prepare your permit. Processing 15-20 min

I found this quote of the Florida DMV on the Global News website:

"The Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made," the department said.

"Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit."

Scratch that off the list!!! :banana:

I had frantically called my auto insurance, Budget rental car AT Orlando International and had already decided I wasn't going to bother........

Sounds like even Floridians were caught unaware!

Some official from CAA said they sold over 900 of them today... I think they should refund the $ ... as all they game them was a form... it wasn't processed.

tigger2on said:
Some official from CAA said they sold over 900 of them today... I think they should refund the $ ... as all they game them was a form... it wasn't processed.

Heard on the radio this morning that CAA is offering refunds to anyone who wants it.

For those who still wanted to get it for insurance purposes - wouldn't the FHP official statement ( http://www.flhsmv.gov/news/pdfs/PR021413.pdf ) alleviate any concerns? Specifically the statement:

"...Earlier today, DHSMV released a statement to media around the world that the Florida
Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of a law that requires visitors from outside the United States to have an
International Driving Permit to drive lawfully in Florida.
..."

This specifically states that one doesn't need an IDP to LAWFULLY drive in Florida. So the insurance co. cannot use the fact that this law is still in the books and without an IDP, one is not covered by the insurance.

Sorry...just trying to figure out why CAA is still recommending that people get the IDP. :confused3

This specifically states that one doesn't need an IDP to LAWFULLY drive in Florida. So the insurance co. cannot use the fact that this law is still in the books and without an IDP, one is not covered by the insurance.

Sorry...just trying to figure out why CAA is still recommending that people get the IDP. :confused3

Same thing here. And if you think about it. It is not that our driver's license are invalid. We still have valid Canadian driver's licenses so I am not sure why that would be an issue for Canadian Insurance companies.

But technically the law still exists even when it is not enforced so technically you are still breaking the law. And if somebody wants to be a pain in the 'you know where'...

That's why CAA probably is probably covering their 'you know what'.

As per the travel.gc.ca website

"On January 1, 2013, an amendment to Florida statutes went into effect, which requires visitors from outside the United States to possess an International Driving Permit in addition to their original driver’s licence in order to operate a motor vehicle in the State. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles announced on February 14, 2013, that it is suspending enforcement of this law to reconsider its consistency with international law.

While Canada welcomes the decision to suspend enforcement, government officials will be working to try to get the statute repealed and/or this requirement dropped for Canadians. For the time being and while the decision to suspend enforcement remains in place, Canadians visiting Florida may still drive lawfully in the State with their original provincial driver’s license."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter