Home-based travel agent - host agencies in Ontario/Canada?

trivial

🇨🇦
I'm looking into becoming a home-based travel agent, and am looking for a good host agency in Ontario or Canada. My interest is specializing in Disney travel, but it doesn't really matter to me if the host agency specializes in Disney travel, as long as they have a clean reputation and a reasonable commission rate. Please PM me if you have any recommendations or offers. Thanks!

I too am very interested in this.. I am always getting calls now from friends of friends to book their trips, I currently have 4 Disney trips on the go and one trip to Spain and one to Austria.. I might as well branch into the travel business.. I think I am there already lol

If you find a good host agency can you let me know too?

This weekend there is a travel and leisure show at the International Center in Toronto....there will probably be home based agencies exhibiting.

This sounds interesting and I currently plan about 8-10 Disney trips a year not counting the trips that I rent DVC points for. When somone gets info about this please post it.

I have no idea. When you want to be an agent, most companies you apply to/work for require a certified Travel and Tourism Program or CTC Certification which is equal to a Travel and Tourism Program. :confused3

I have no idea. When you want to be an agent, most companies you apply to/work for require a certified Travel and Tourism Program or CTC Certification which is equal to a Travel and Tourism Program. :confused3

TPI (Travel Professionals International) doesn't. Host company.

They take those looking into starting a travel business. But you need to provide a large outlay. Experienced travel agents, with strong sales, can come aboard for a nominal fee. Their head office is in Winnipeg. But they are Canada wide and have an office in Ontario. You can can get credits toward your CTC with their training.

I know of an experienced agent who works for them/with them. She has been impressed with their professionalism.

Cruise Ship Centers

http://www.*********************/Consultant.aspx

I work with them. Good Company and I sell about 50-50 Cruises and Disney! I make my own hours and mostly work from home.

:thumbsup2

Cruise Ship Centers

http://www.*********************/Consultant.aspx

I work with them. Good Company and I sell about 50-50 Cruises and Disney! I make my own hours and mostly work from home.

:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for this information Minnie56. If you don't mind, did you have to provide an initial outlay or were you simply hired by them?

Thanks,

Lisa

I did..I think around $800 if I recall correctly? And yearly approx $160 to be able to access their 'Intranet' kind of system for booking etc etc...

Good Luck!

I did..I think around $800 if I recall correctly? And yearly approx $160 to be able to access their 'Intranet' kind of system for booking etc etc...

Good Luck!

Thanks Minnie56. Three more. Can you work solely at home? And book any travel reservations? And I assume they are TICO registered. Correct?

Thanks again for sharing.

Lisa

Thanks Minnie56. Three more. Can you work solely at home? And book any travel reservations? And I assume they are TICO registered. Correct?

Thanks again for sharing.

Lisa

-Yes, you can work solely at home
-Can book ANY travel reservations, access to all
-TICO and CLIA registered. Now in part owned by EXPEDIA so access to the best prices!
No prob..
;)

Thank you for posting those links, I have emailed them and will see what they say!

Mousy

Hey mousy,
I actually just had an interview with the local cruise ship centers in my area(BC) on Wednesday. I was shown a training kit that I need to do before starting and the price of it was about 1030$ with taxes. I have just finished a year long course with algonquin academy in Toronto so the girl I saw said I wouldn't have to do the entire training. She is right now finding out how much I will have to do and pay for.
I found that in BC this was really the best option for me. They seemed to be actually better set up for independant agents than any other agency here. But I did not venture out to companies that did not have offices near me, so that limited my choices.
I really liked the manager I met with and it seems like they give alot of support to help out new comers. I am a little concerned about the commission rate. I think it's only 40/60 and that sounds hard to make a living out of. But I might be mistaken.
Anyway, let me know how it goes and I'll keep you posted with any info I get if you want.

Eryn

Thanks!
I got an email from TPI and they are WAY more expensive to start but you get 10% more.. not sure if that is worth it or not.
this was in the email I got

We have two different investment levels.

The first level is $8,900. At this level you can have 1 additional person work with you. The $8,900 will cover both training spots. Your commission level will remain at 70%.

The second level is $12,900. At this level you can have an additional 3 people work with you. Again at the price, it will cover all 4 training spots. Your commission can go up to 80%

So as you can see $1,000 sounds a lot better.. I will have to wait to see when I get the email from the cruise ship centers and go from there I am interested in seeing what they have for us in the southern Ontario area.

I appreciate you letting me know!
Mousy

No problem!

A few questions to ask are what kind of fee's you will pay, yearly or monthly, also if you are given any help with advertising, maybe bonuses and advancement to higher commission rates, your FAM opportunities, etc...! There is so much to learn and ask! The past few months have been the busiest ever!

Keep me posted as well with your info from cruise ship centers.

Eryn

Dead Thread?

I am curious to find out what solution paid the best commission, while offering the best support; backend, training, CRM and marketing.

We are looking at the Home Based-Independant option as well as an exit plan for my wife from her current career. We are well travelled and might as well expand our passion and family/friend planning experience!

I think you are correct in saying CruiseShipCentres commission is diismal in comparison, while still requiring a start-up fee, annual technology fee, and maybe even a monthly fee?

40% commission split...

= Commission on average cruise ($3,000 booking value) = $180
= Commission on average DCL ($3,000 booking value) = $144

Therefore...

To make $30K a year with a product/pricing mix = 75% Standard Cruise Line/25% Disney Cruise lines...

you would need to book 125 Standard Cruises and 52 Disney Cruises. Tall order, especially starting out.

If anyone can find 70-80% commission split with minimal start-up and onging costs, let us know!

I am not sure why the CSC start up fee is so steep for you?
When I started 6 years ago I paid approx $800
The website as of today has fee's as follows...recession has made a dent!

The investment for a Retail Cruise & Travel Consultant is as follows:

Expedia CruiseShipCenters offers the opportunity for a rewarding career and a great lifestyle.Initial Investment $495 CAD
Marketing $170 CAD / year
Includes CruiseDesk® license, personal website, unlimited email marketing
Available Territories Canada

There is no monthly fee and commission split increases with sales..I think the minimum split (for you) relates to sales under $150,000. Once you are over that, it gets better.

Buying power of ECSC affects the commission rate of various cruiseline being a preferred customer..but most are around 15-18% based on prices before taxes. Many do this as a retirement job..some make some serious money. Most, not.

:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter