Home-based travel agent - host agencies in Ontario/Canada?

I can't believe I JUST came across this thread!!! I decided to make a big change just after the new year this year, and signed up for an online travel agent program. After graduating that, I found it hard (of course) to find a job. I really wanted to focus on Disney vacations, but that's hard to come by in Canada. I signed up with Expedia CruiseShipCenters in June, and am well on my way. Luckily we know a lot of people, and those people have been really good at spreading the work to "book with Sue!!". I paid the $500 start-up fee, and had my e-mail and booking engine working that afternoon. I wrote my TICO a few weeks ago and passed (even though I thought I failed!!), so I'm "officially" good to go!!!
Minnie56...I'm almost done with the "Disney Learning Connection" program, and I'm planning on booking myself a trip for next year with my sister. I'm having a hard time finding out if I can book myself a package with the agent discount. I know I can get a room discount, and I know I can get a ticket discount, but I can combine the two? Or do I have to do just one or the other? Also, If I can combine room/ticket discounts, can I add a dining plan? Again, I'm just having a hard time finding any information on this on the Disney agent site.
TIA!!!!!!!

Just curious - can you sign up with an agency first and then write the TICO exam or do you have to write the exam first. I'm just wondering if I am reading you right.

For us here anyway it's not about sales it is just about completing your disney college of knowledge program.
And in order to sell travel here you have to have completed your tico exam, so I cannot imagine anyone hiring someone without having completed your tico exam.
The exam is easy, not hard and anyone can do it. Having that piece of paper will not make you a good travel agent it just makes it legal.

For us here anyway it's not about sales it is just about completing your disney college of knowledge program.
And in order to sell travel here you have to have completed your tico exam, so I cannot imagine anyone hiring someone without having completed your tico exam.
The exam is easy, not hard and anyone can do it. Having that piece of paper will not make you a good travel agent it just makes it legal.

Actually, it is the same for us no sales requirement, my mistake. We just have to show a valid IATAN or CLIA card when picking up the park ticket, When making a discounted room reservation we have to fax a copy of the IATAN or CLIA ID card and then show it again at check-in.

I can't believe I JUST came across this thread!!! I decided to make a big change just after the new year this year, and signed up for an online travel agent program. After graduating that, I found it hard (of course) to find a job. I really wanted to focus on Disney vacations, but that's hard to come by in Canada. I signed up with Expedia CruiseShipCenters in June, and am well on my way. Luckily we know a lot of people, and those people have been really good at spreading the work to "book with Sue!!". I paid the $500 start-up fee, and had my e-mail and booking engine working that afternoon. I wrote my TICO a few weeks ago and passed (even though I thought I failed!!), so I'm "officially" good to go!!!
Minnie56...I'm almost done with the "Disney Learning Connection" program, and I'm planning on booking myself a trip for next year with my sister. I'm having a hard time finding out if I can book myself a package with the agent discount. I know I can get a room discount, and I know I can get a ticket discount, but I can combine the two? Or do I have to do just one or the other? Also, If I can combine room/ticket discounts, can I add a dining plan? Again, I'm just having a hard time finding any information on this on the Disney agent site.
TIA!!!!!!!

Congrats!You can combine the TA room discount and also get a 2 day parkhopper complimentary once a year. Occasionally through the year they will have a time limited promotion that will include free dining as well. Somtimes in late Nov into Dec. You cannot purchase it.

As someone else has mentioned...no sales requirement here in Canada and a IATA or CLIA ID card is required via fax within 24hrs I believe of booking a room at the TA rate.

Good luck! Have fun!

My 2 Princesses - you have to pay to do the exam whether or not you have found a job. I'm pretty sure it's a standard rate (I think it was $40, plus $20 fee for the procter while you're doing the exam).

As for my room/ticket issue...I'm almost done the first block of College of Knowledge programs, I have a lot of time during the day, so I seem to be zooming through them. minnie56, just to clarify, I can combine room/tickets. Say I want to add a 10-day park hopper. I'm not looking for a discount here, I'll pay full price for the tickets, I just want to have them!!! Also, with the dining plan...has anyone ever tried adding it to their agent discount ressie? Again, I'm obviously not looking for discount, but I'm a big believer in the dining plan, and insist of having it when I go to Disney. Are you saying they won't let you add it on at full-price??? I wonder why that is...that stresses me out a bit, because I know my sister will want it as well. Maybe I should just call them??

You can book your room at the TA rate and apply separately for the 2 day comp parkhopper. You cannot add tickets or dining - at least online. If you call, perhaps you can add the additional tickets but I am pretty sure that the dining can only be added at certain times of the year when Disney have TA promos including it? Let me know if they tell you otherwise? Call the TA line, they are pretty good with clarifying.:thumbsup2

Instead of the comp 2 day park hopper you can get a discounted 10 day park hopper w/ water parks and more option for $213 (retails for $401) for yourself only. You cannot add no expiration to it. It can be requested once per calendar year. Again this is assuming we get the same offers here (sorry if I'm intruding on a Canadian agency thread).

If you do find anything about purchasing the dining plan with a discounted room rate, please let us know! If it definitely is not possible to add and you really want the Plan and are staying value or mod it may just be better to go during Free Dining.

I am a PT TA and since I have not made $10,000 in commission, and probably never will, I can not get an IATA card. I was not even able to book my last trip using the TA discount. I had to find the best package available. I am working for a small company that has been in Toronto for over 40 years.

I was quite disappointed as the prices were much better for the TA.

I have completed all the College of Disney Knowledge courses including the advanced.

Instead of the comp 2 day park hopper you can get a discounted 10 day park hopper w/ water parks and more option for $213 (retails for $401) for yourself only. You cannot add no expiration to it. It can be requested once per calendar year. Again this is assuming we get the same offers here (sorry if I'm intruding on a Canadian agency thread).

If you do find anything about purchasing the dining plan with a discounted room rate, please let us know! If it definitely is not possible to add and you really want the Plan and are staying value or mod it may just be better to go during Free Dining.

Yes, there is that option too! My DD was working at Disney (Epcot) for the past year so I have been using her 'deals' so haven't even looked at what I can get in ages....good reminder!

From the site:

Discount Ticket
One specially priced 2- to 10-day Magic Your Way® Ticket with Park Hopper® and Water Park Fun & More Options

I am a PT TA and since I have not made $10,000 in commission, and probably never will, I can not get an IATA card. I was not even able to book my last trip using the TA discount. I had to find the best package available. I am working for a small company that has been in Toronto for over 40 years.

I was quite disappointed as the prices were much better for the TA.

I have completed all the College of Disney Knowledge courses including the advanced.

Oh dear, that's awful. I wonder why you had trouble booking, and minnie56 hasn't had any trouble. Minnie - do you have your IATA card?? Have you sold $10000 in commission? This might make my dining plan problem much easier if I can't even get the TA discount. Sorry, Mickey1Fan, I can't believe they put such restrictions on TA's!

Thanks for the ticket info, TinkPirateMom....I was thinking the same thing about free dining. We already have our time set though, and it's right in between available dates for the dining plan (early May 2012). Go figure.:confused3

Expedia Cruise Ship Centers is non IATA...we are a CLIA agency and also have a TIDS number of course. I use my CLIA ID card (you do have to have that and they expire every Dec 31 so have to be renewed) to book Disney. I have made over $10,000 in commissions but I wouldn't say thus far this year yet with Disney alone? It's never been a requirement for me or the other TA's in the office. I have a nice little Disney Client heading out this week that spent $5700 for 4 nights (!!) at Kidani AKL and added 12 hours of VIP tours at $275 an hour which I don't get ONE penny for! That hurt......
A lot.
:scared1:

Expedia Cruise Ship Centers is non IATA...we are a CLIA agency and also have a TIDS number of course. I use my CLIA ID card (you do have to have that and they expire every Dec 31 so have to be renewed) to book Disney. I have made over $10,000 in commissions but I wouldn't say thus far this year yet with Disney alone? It's never been a requirement for me or the other TA's in the office. I have a nice little Disney Client heading out this week that spent $5700 for 4 nights (!!) at Kidani AKL and added 12 hours of VIP tours at $275 an hour which I don't get ONE penny for! That hurt......
A lot.

Oh my ! That sounds like an awesome trip but I can feel the hurt for you!

I think the $10,000.00 in commissions requirement is in regards to being able to apply for an IATA ID card which is required to book TA discounts with Disney not that it has to be sold through Disney trips. Is CLIA's requirement $10,000.00 as well?

No, there is no $10,000 requirement with a CLIA card for whatever reason??:confused3

Thanks for sharing my pain lol..

A lot.

Ouch!!!! I'm in the middle of booking a 3 night AKL for 2500...I thought THAT was steep! I can't believe they don't commission for tours....and while on that topic, I get mad that I don't get commission for selling land excursions for cruises either. Very annoying.

Ouch!!!! I'm in the middle of booking a 3 night AKL for 2500...I thought THAT was steep! I can't believe they don't commission for tours....and while on that topic, I get mad that I don't get commission for selling land excursions for cruises either. Very annoying.

I hear you...most of us use 'Shore trips' for cruise excursions. They do pay comm and are very reliable! have used them myself many times.

;)

I'm also a home based agent with CruiseShipCenters...just started in January. Things are slow to start but I hope to see an increase come fall when more people in Canada travel to escape the frigid winters!

Wondering if any of you travel agents can help me. Looking for the best deal on a hotel close to the airport (buffalo) on August 27th. Thanks!

No, there is no $10,000 requirement with a CLIA card for whatever reason??

IATA requirements are sales based. CLIA requirements are education based (ACC, MCC etc). CLIA used to require 1 training course per year; now you need to be enrolled in one of their education programs which can take a few years to complete.

I'm also a home based agent with CruiseShipCenters...just started in January. Things are slow to start but I hope to see an increase come fall when more people in Canada travel to escape the frigid winters!

You will--it goes in spurts and takes time to build referrals...:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter