Home-based travel agent - host agencies in Ontario/Canada?

Another p/t home-based TA here too! I just started in April under my sister, who also works p/t at the same agency. Things are definitely slow to start, as I am completely new to the travel industry, but I have booked a few clients so far! I'm doing it more for fun than anything else, as I have a stable, full-time job that pays the bills. I work for a great local agency, but their focus is certainly not on Disney, and that's all I want to sell! Keeps feeding my addiction above board!:rotfl:

I was a little disappointed that in order to take advantage of any agent discounts that we have to have an IATA or CLIA card, as I don't think I will even come close to $10K in commission, or be able to complete all the requirements for the CLIA card (the ship inspections part). But if I make enough commission to pay for a trip every year, then I'd be happy!

And I agree with the other posters...the TICO exam was pretty easy. It's the "learning the ropes" part that is really hard!! At least because I'm focusing solely on Disney (maybe Universal and Seaworld later on) I feel confident that I know what I'm selling! Currently working on a website, facebook and twitter, trying to spread the word. I'm hoping to organize a "Disney night" at my agency in the fall, and hopefully that will drum up some more business!

Expedia Cruise Ship Centers is non IATA...we are a CLIA agency and also have a TIDS number of course. I use my CLIA ID card (you do have to have that and they expire every Dec 31 so have to be renewed) to book Disney.

I work for an Expedia CSC and our office has an IATA number and I do have my own IATA card. It is a benefit to have because a number of suppliers require you to present your IATA or CLIA identification to take part in fam trips which are amazing learning and training opprotunities.

I work for an Expedia CSC and our office has an IATA number and I do have my own IATA card. It is a benefit to have because a number of suppliers require you to present your IATA or CLIA identification to take part in fam trips which are amazing learning and training opprotunities.

Oh that's good...our location doesn't but the CLIA card gets the same access except for some airline rates (British Awys for example). I didn't know some did and some didn't ..I guess it's up to the franchise owner.

Connorsmom911 you don't have to complete all the CLIA accreditation to have the ID card. Used to be you had to complete an online course and apply, I think it might be a little more now but not the certification. I have my ACC and am debating going further...not sure it's really worth it but I had the card many times without anything more than 1 course completed.

Connorsmom911 you don't have to complete all the CLIA accreditation to have the ID card.

New agents have 2 years to complete the ACC course; they can get the card if they are enrolled and working toward the ACC. If they don't achieve the ACC in 2 years, their card is suspended for 1 year and then they can try again. This was put into effect 2009.

See http://cruising.org/membership-center/2011-clia-photo-id-card for details.

I'm hoping to organize a "Disney night" at my agency in the fall, and hopefully that will drum up some more business!

That sounds great!!! Keep us updated on how that goes!! Where in Canada are you? If you're close to me, I'd love to attend your "disney night" I promise not to sweep up any of your clientele!! lol

I'm hoping to organize a "Disney night" at my agency in the fall, and hopefully that will drum up some more business!

Good luck with your Disney night. Be sure to contact your agency's Disney Rep for tips and collateral and goodies for a gift basket prize giveaway. If you think it will be hard to get a number of people out to a venue, consider hosting a webinar on Disney for clients interested in the product and potential clients. I know it's hard when you are targeting a family market to have them come out for an information night so sometimes a webinar from the comfort of their own home is a great alternative. I've been thinking about doing a Disney Cruise night at our agency in the fall and introduce clients who have done Walt Disney World to a whole other side of Disney

Connorsmom911 you don't have to complete all the CLIA accreditation to have the ID card. Used to be you had to complete an online course and apply, I think it might be a little more now but not the certification. I have my ACC and am debating going further...not sure it's really worth it but I had the card many times without anything more than 1 course completed.

New agents have 2 years to complete the ACC course; they can get the card if they are enrolled and working toward the ACC. If they don't achieve the ACC in 2 years, their card is suspended for 1 year and then they can try again. This was put into effect 2009.

See http://cruising.org/membership-center/2011-clia-photo-id-card for details.

Thanks for that info!! I have my 40th b-day trip to WDW coming up and it was such a let-down after getting my "ears" to realize I couldn't get my comp ticket for that trip without an ID card. I did look into CLIA but I guess I didn't read close enough. Guess I know what I'm doing on nightshift tonight!!

That sounds great!!! Keep us updated on how that goes!! Where in Canada are you? If you're close to me, I'd love to attend your "disney night" I promise not to sweep up any of your clientele!! lol

I'm in Kitchener, and I certainly don't mind the support from other TA's! I kind of go by the "we should support eachother" philosophy, but thanks for promising not to steal clients!;)

Good luck with your Disney night. Be sure to contact your agency's Disney Rep for tips and collateral and goodies for a gift basket prize giveaway. If you think it will be hard to get a number of people out to a venue, consider hosting a webinar on Disney for clients interested in the product and potential clients. I know it's hard when you are targeting a family market to have them come out for an information night so sometimes a webinar from the comfort of their own home is a great alternative. I've been thinking about doing a Disney Cruise night at our agency in the fall and introduce clients who have done Walt Disney World to a whole other side of Disney

Yes, I talked to my Disney Rep a while ago and she offered collateral and a gift basket. I'm just trying to fit it into my schedule and figure out what to do/say/etc. The webinar is a fabulous idea! I'll pick my boyfriend's brain on that one as he's delivering a lot of the training for his company by webinar now.

Maybe we should all crash eachother's "Disney nights" to get ideas!:woohoo:

Cruise Ship Centers

http://www.*********************/Consultant.aspx

I work with them. Good Company and I sell about 50-50 Cruises and Disney! I make my own hours and mostly work from home.

:thumbsup2

Just wanted to offer a heads up about Expedia CSC. While I am glad for you that your experience has been a good one, my association has been less than satisfying.

I attended one of their seminars last October because I wanted to get into the industry part time as a prep for when I retire from my full time work. The session was to recruit people for their new office they were opening in my home town.
I ended up signing up. Paid over $600 for the start up fees plus the $160 or so that you mention for the web site stuff.
After my Amex cleared, all of a sudden the manager was not nearly so quick answering my emails, my training materials were over a month in arriving (never did get my business cards or name tag)and there was still no evidence that they were going to open an office here. To be fair, I was also getting quite busy at work and most of the "webinars" were running at times I could not attend.
By March, I had become quite unhappy with the lack of contact and decided to back out. I spoke to the local manager and explained my concerns/situation and asked for a pro-rated portion of my fees back. I full expected to lose the $160 for the yearly web site fee, but when all was said and done the declined to return any of my up front money. I will copy and paste the note I finally got back from the manager.

Just clearing my emails and realized I had never responded. This is what I got back from partner support. Sorry, wish I could give you a better answer.

Hi Cathy

Unfortunately these requests have been happening way to often which is never good to hear and we have had to put a policy in that we have and are going to follow the existing policy which is ‘cancel within 30days for a full refund minus 100.00’. Unfortunately this does not fall into those parameters.

Leah.

So after I joined they added a policy because people were backing out. The policy was not in place when I joined, but they still didn't refund me a dime.

So for about $760 I have a really nice faux leather Expedia Cruise Ship Centres folder.

As you can imagine, I wouldn't recommend them as employers nor would I as a Travel Agency.

Regards
John

Nagle,

I am really sorry to read about your experience with Expedia CSC. I know it takes a lot of work as an independent consultant when you are brand new to the industry and there is a lot to learn. Maybe the timing just wasn't right with you being busy as you were at your full-time job and the office you signed up with definitely dropped the ball in terms of your training and getting you started off. Many of the webinars are recorded that you can go through them on your own time and it is unfortunate again that the manager of that office did not go over with you where to find the training material. I do not know where in Ontario you are located, but did you consider looking into transferring to a different office?

I was going to say the same thing, Susan2771. It's horrible how you were treated. When I started with them, I actually met with the owners multiple times to discuss whether or not it was a 'right fit' for us both. It's weird that they didn't ask to meet with you for a one-on-one 'interview'. I signed up on a Friday morning, and had my training package that Monday, and my business cards the following week. I guess I'm lucky that the owners of my office are incredible and very well organized. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience.

That is most unfortunate Nagle that your experience wasn't a positive one with ECSC. From what I can make out the franchises do vary greatly and mine from the get-go has been good. I have met the nicest people there and though sometimes I feel our owner isn't always as connected as one should be, overall it's a good fit. When I started there 6 years ago we had a 2 week training period, 9-5 and after that were encouraged to work independantly doing as many courses online/webinars as we could and attend as many presentations and product evenings as possible. I have completed every course pertinant to my business and still continue to keep myself updated on new product and promotions on a daily basis. I love the learning aspect and love what I do! The company as a whole has great buying power and is well respected so for me, it more than works.:)

Congrats!You can combine the TA room discount and also get a 2 day parkhopper complimentary once a year. Occasionally through the year they will have a time limited promotion that will include free dining as well. Somtimes in late Nov into Dec. You cannot purchase it.

As someone else has mentioned...no sales requirement here in Canada and a IATA or CLIA ID card is required via fax within 24hrs I believe of booking a room at the TA rate.

Good luck! Have fun!

Remember though, in order to get a IATA card you MUST make over 10000.00 in commission before you can get the card. Even if the agency itself is registered with IATA and CLIA, that is not enough, it MUST be the individual. This stops people that become agents just to try to get the benefits of these discounts.

Ooops...editing to say that perhaps I should have read the whole thread before putting my two cents in. Guess what I said has already been said 100 times.

Remember though, in order to get a IATA card you MUST make over 10000.00 in commission before you can get the card. Even if the agency itself is registered with IATA and CLIA, that is not enough, it MUST be the individual. This stops people that become agents just to try to get the benefits of these discounts.

Yes, the $10,000 requirement has been mentioned here for the IATA card. Not so for CLIA though.

Wow I did not realize so many others had the same idea I did. Take a passion and try to make money doing it. :rotfl2:

I have been looking at working as an independant rep for some American based TA's.

I live in Ontario and was wondering if this is even possible? I have noticed a few of them do not charge any up front fees and essentially you just split your commission with them.

Being in Ontario do I still need to write the TICO exam even if the company I am working for is not in Ontario?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Jerlove,

I've work as a independent rep for a TA in Ontario and would gladly share advice and answer any questions. You can be a TA in Ontario, with no up front fees and earn a nice commission on your bookings.

Send me a private message if you like and we can exchange email addresses.
MuppetCrazy!

Wow I did not realize so many others had the same idea I did. Take a passion and try to make money doing it. :rotfl2:

I have been looking at working as an independant rep for some American based TA's.

I live in Ontario and was wondering if this is even possible? I have noticed a few of them do not charge any up front fees and essentially you just split your commission with them.

Being in Ontario do I still need to write the TICO exam even if the company I am working for is not in Ontario?

Will you be selling travel services and booking travel related products from your location in Ontario? Then you should consider contacting TICO to find out if you need to study and write the exam for the industry standards.

If you are an Ontario resident, it is ILLEGAL for you to sell travel services through a US based travel agency.

I strongly advise that you do your research with TICO to avoid being charged or fined. :thumbsup2

If you are an Ontario resident, it is ILLEGAL for you to sell travel services through a US based travel agency.

I strongly advise that you do your research with TICO to avoid being charged or fined. :thumbsup2

Totally agree with this, you need to research with TICO as it is illegal. TICO does enforce this so flying under the radar is not a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter