how does tipping the guides work?

violeo

Earning My Ears
I'm going on my first ABD trip to Costa Rica this year. I will be going with my partner...so there will be 2 of us...I have a few questions concerning tipping of the guides.

1. I always give more than 20% tip to my waiters when at a restaurant...with great service of course. What amount is a normal amount to give the guides and what is a GREAT amount to give them?

2. When we give the tips to our guides do you give the tips as a group (as in yourself and whoever else is in your party). Or is it more appropriate to give them tips per individual?

Hi,
After we booked, we received several information packets and each one explained the tipping policies and guidelines. I think there was even a mention of it on the ABD website somewhere. $5 -$8 per person per day per guide is the recommended tip. (I would imagine most of us tipped the maximum because the guides were outstanding!) When you actually get to your destination, a couple of tipping envelopes were provided, although I had packed my own thank-you cards in which to put the tips for the guides. We discreetly slipped each guide their tip after the farewell dinner and I noticed other folks doing the same.
Hope this helps.
Cindy

I'm going on my first ABD trip to Costa Rica this year. I will be going with my partner...so there will be 2 of us...I have a few questions concerning tipping of the guides.

1. I always give more than 20% tip to my waiters when at a restaurant...with great service of course. What amount is a normal amount to give the guides and what is a GREAT amount to give them?

2. When we give the tips to our guides do you give the tips as a group (as in yourself and whoever else is in your party). Or is it more appropriate to give them tips per individual?

I was on the recent April 22nd Backstage Magic tour. :yay: Upon check in, we received a little booklet of our itinerary (basic) and other info. Two envelopes were attached to the page of info for the goodbye dinner. It was for the tips. Most of us gave our envelopes to our Guides at the Goodbye dinner. Or, the next morning at breakfast. They are fabulous and do anything and everything. Enjoy your trip! I am sold on ABD and can't wait to plan another trip.

We tipped in Euros as we did not want to carry that much US cash around for the whole trip. At the time we were there, the conversion rate was 1 Euro to $1.60 so we just withdrew Euros accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter