• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How good/bad a job has your state done at flattening the curve?

Regarding "Why are we comparing past events here?" is coming from all of the posts/media/whatever talking about how we are going to see a TON more suicides due to the economic effects of socially isolating (again, not saying that you in particular were saying that.. I am taking a more general look at what I'm seeing on a day-to-day basis). The only data we have to look at are recent severe economic downturns, to get an idea of what it might look like.
I think that presents the issue though. What we are doing now is not the same as the Recession, it's not even the same as 9/11.

This is a snippet of what I mentioned a while back on the News Thread: "9/11 was terrorism concern and fear driving loss in multiple sectors, The Recession was financially related driving loss in multiple sectors, but this is really both..we have concern and fear regarding a virus we don't have a way to protect against and one that we are continually learning about it...all the quarantines, bans on X amount of people in one area, etc. We never had that with either 9/11 or The Recession." That was said 3 weeks ago and we are already in a different world than we were then.

Personally I'm confident in my uncertainty of knowing just what impacts this will have. I haven't a clue what the world will be like after. But I am confident that I see this whole thing as more than just cases and deaths.

And my "falsely stating that they are equivalent" is coming from that perspective as well. Certain people in leadership stating things like "the suicide rate due to the economic fallout will be much higher than the number of deaths due to the virus" which we have no evidence, models, or ANYTHING that show that the deaths from the virus, and estimated deaths due to suicide from the economic impacts are anywhere near equivalent.
Ah ok I see where you're coming from. I guess I'm not listening to leadership in that. My thoughts and opinons are my own borne out of seeing it before my eyes, seeing how my local area is impacted I guess? Other posters discussing their personal stories of which death (in the case of "do you know someone who has it" thread) as well as discussing mental and physical health across multiple threads has been mentioned. But yeah my above comment about being confident in my uncertainty still applies here; it's not merely a numbers game to me and perhaps that affects my thoughts.

I’m worried and mad about Wisconsin. Whatever effects our stay at home order has had on the curve could be undone this week by our state primary election. I am angry at our government officials for dragging their feet and being the only state to not postpone. I’m glad everyone in my family did absentee voting so none of us have to go to the polls, but this is such a foolish decision.
I'd love to comment on this but I can't do it without getting political. I'll just say I agree with you.

You have some valid points. So, in this context, what is it that you would like to see happen?
I feel like this is just goading or prodding to see if I feel like I can do better than leadership is having us do at present moment..I'm not falling for it. Apologies if it isn't but it sure feels like it is.

I'm sure we can all think of things that we'd like to see happen..the trick is to allow ourselves to consider those other things in the first place :)

I feel like this is just goading or prodding to see if I feel like I can do better than leadership is having us do at present moment..I'm not falling for it. Apologies if it isn't but it sure feels like it is.

I'm sure we can all think of things that we'd like to see happen..the trick is to allow ourselves to consider those other things in the first place :)

I'm really not trying to goad you into anything. Sorry, if it seemed that way.
There seems to be another thread about what the endgame may be...but, since you mentioned about mental healthcare (which I don't remember being mentioned in the other thread), I was genuinely interested to see what your opinion was on where you think lies the balance between the various unfortunate consequences.

What I find whenever I have one of those brainstorms is that they have already been considered and discarded long ago by those who have the education, training, experience, a full view of the entire situation (as opposed to my focusing on one usually unimportant detail) and the authority to actually try them. I inevitably find that they are just as smart as I am, but way ahead of me.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. I think the people who are actually on the front lines are doing the best they can...and they're doing a good job.

What I find whenever I have one of those brainstorms is that they have already been considered and discarded long ago by those who have the education, training, experience, a full view of the entire situation (as opposed to my focusing on one usually unimportant detail) and the authority to actually try them. I inevitably find that they are just as smart as I am, but way ahead of me.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. I think the people who are actually on the front lines are doing the best they can...and they're doing a good job.
We must be thinking about different things then. Of course the people on the front lines are doing the best they can. I certainly am not under any impression that they aren't.

In my area they've done a lot of "remember to get outside, go out and try meditating or try yoga at home, do this and do that to maintain good physical and mental health", remember to check in on people, donate where and when you can, foster when you can, people in the community coming up with ways to celebrate milestones such as someone's 94th birthday, delivering of goods be it a dog--actually read a story about a woman in maine using her dog sled team to deliver food and supplies to her vunerable neighbors--reminders about who to call for suicide prevention, and now in my city they want people to light it up using christmas lights (and my HOA also approved this as normally christmas lights are not allowed at this time of year), etc

It's not about coming up with new ideas, least that wasn't my point. It was about recognizing the trials and tribulations of those out there..ones that aren't just suffering in the hospital due to COVID-19, which has been often brushed aside because it's not quite as visible as seeing someone hooked up to a machine (which is awful in itself).

Just one example of what I'm talking about.

Our Miami-Dade Public Schools are the 4th largest school system in the US. They were ahead of the curve, anticipated the need to close schools, did their homework, and made the transition to 100% online learning in about two weeks -- one of which was Spring Break anyway.

I don't know how it was from the teachers' perspective, but from a parent's viewpoint it looked seamless. If you think that was easy, look at some of the numbers in the screenshot below.

Of course classes aren't the only thing schools do. A LOT of our students depend on the schools for nutritious meals. We provide free hot breakfast for ALL students in EVERY school, EVERY day. We also provide lunch for tens of thousands of kids on federal lunch programs. The schools are shuttered, but the meals never skipped a beat.

Here is a small excerpt from a PTSA report to parents, quoting highlights of info from our Superintendent:

80 THOUSAND tablets, 11 THOUSAND phones, 230 THOUSAND meals...and the Superintendent's report goes on and on and on...

It easy -- and sometimes priceless pirate: -- to sit anonymously on an Internet discussion board and ponder the world as it should be...according to me.

But actually doing it is quite another matter!

Just one example of what I'm talking about.

Our Miami-Dade Public Schools are the 4th largest school system in the US. They were ahead of the curve, anticipated the need to close schools, did their homework, and made the transition to 100% online learning in about two weeks -- one of which was Spring Break anyway.

I don't know how it was from the teachers' perspective, but from a parent's viewpoint it looked seamless. If you think that was easy, look at some of the numbers in the screenshot below.

Of course classes aren't the only thing schools do. A LOT of our students depend on the schools for nutritious meals. We provide free hot breakfast for ALL students in EVERY school, EVERY day. We also provide lunch for tens of thousands of kids on federal lunch programs. The schools are shuttered, but the meals never skipped a beat.

Here is a small excerpt from a PTSA report to parents, quoting highlights of info from our Superintendent:

View attachment 485935

80 THOUSAND tablets, 11 THOUSAND phones, 230 THOUSAND meals...and the Superintendent's report goes on and on and on...

It easy -- and sometimes priceless pirate: -- to sit anonymously on an Internet discussion board and ponder the world as it should be...according to me.

But actually doing it is quite another matter!
Yeah we're not thinking the same things nor am I criticizing even what you're talking about. But those things are important in even thinking about. I don't have the time to look up but I know my area is doing free lunch things as well.

I'll also point out I'm not posting anonymously ;)

On the mental health front, I'm afraid we haven't begun to see the tip of the iceberg yet. There were many people with mental health needs that were being served to various degrees prior to the lockdown. We are also aware now of people who are having difficulty managing the lockdown.

But the real crunch is going to come when the crisis has passed and people learn that their employer, or their own job, did not survive.

If this goes on much longer, we're going to have entire streets, entire strip shopping centers, where every business has gone under. Not closed for the emergency -- out of business permanently. Those events are going to have a significant ripple effect on many people and families across the country -- and there is not going to be a quick, easy fix.

I checked out Next Door. Turns out a lot of people around me think this is a conspiracy. I think I'm going to need my tin foil hat to ride this one out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter