How good/bad a job has your state done at flattening the curve?

Question about the graphs (which are very impressive by the way...I wish I had graph skills like that). So they seem to project that this thing will be effectively "over" by the start of the summer. ("Assuming full social distancing" disclaimer noted. Big assumption. ) Take NY's graph below...suggesting that this epidemic will have passed in May seems incredibly optimistic at this point, barring a medical breakthrough. Even with social distancing.

View attachment 485089
PIck some other states at random. My state (KY), has so far done a great job of flattening the curve, BUT, it won't be "over" in the state until around July 4. Two months AFTER NY.

I’m in the suburbs just outside of NYC. Seeing the updated numbers every day is depressing. I think Cuomo is doing the best he can with the resources he has. I feel so terrible for all the healthcare workers; can’t even imagine what it is like for them. :guilty:

I'm not sure how much stock I put in this particular set of graphs. I know it's difficult to keep up with 50 states with different reporting criteria, but these folks are WAY off on Florida numbers.

For example, they show Florida with 102 actual deaths as of April 1. We've had 129. They "project" we will have 2,296 people hospitalized as of April 1. We have less than half that number, 1,058.

I'm sure they are well-intentioned, but I would not get too excited -- one way or the other -- about their projections.

So, would some states be "free and clear" and able to go about their business while others remain in some kind of lock down for additional months? Would people from the "free and clear" states be allowed to enter those still in lock down?

Here we have been told the aim is no longer to flatten the curve but to eliminate it.
Technically if we lockdown for 4-6(maybe more) weeks, we will be able to do so.
We are in full lockdown, we can leave our house to go to the supermarket, pharmacy or dr. We can walk around our block, but must stay in our "bubble" whoever we were with when we went into lockdown are the only people we can be with until the end.

After that point it is expected our borders remain closed but we will be mostly back to normal within NZ

Here we have been told the aim is no longer to flatten the curve but to eliminate it.
We are in full lockdown, we can leave our house to go to the supermarket, pharmacy or dr. We can walk around our block, but must stay in our "bubble" whoever we were with when we went into lockdown are the only people we can be with until the end.

After that point it is expected our borders remain closed but we will be mostly back to normal within NZ
Good luck.

Good luck.

It is within the realm of possibility, we are a relatively small island, so in control of our own destiny (no neighbouring country or state with different rules).
But when/if we do we are still stuck with closed borders until a vaccine is available.
And we of course need to weigh up the pros and cons for the economy as well.

A few thoughts/observations:

Based on what I am seeing in my area, I think the majority of people are listening to the “stay at home unless absolutely necessary” order. I take my elderly dad (lives with me) for a car ride several times a week to change the scenery for him and it’s usually after I’m done working from home, so 430-5pm. Rush hour traffic is non-existent.
Grocery shopping is very much so less crowded

I do see a lot of people walking and biking but they seem to be practicing social distancing.

The hospital where I work has limited visitors, stopped all non-urgent elective procedures (you can still get your tumor removed but not your bunion), has everyone wearing a mask etc. Same with all other hospitals in the state. And frankly, there aren’t as many visitors coming.

Rhode Island here- I think our governor is doing a fantastic job at trying to slow this down as much as she can. I wasn’t a fan of her prior to this, but in this situation she is doing to best she can. We have a stay at home order and all non-essential workers must stay/work from home. Schools have been closed for a while now and no more than 5 to a group of people together. Also all out of state plates must stop and give information at the border. I work in healthcare in the state also and we haven’t gotten overloaded yet, but we are aware that it is coming. We have stopped all elective procedures which has put way below capacity but, our state is up to 711 I believe (we’ll have another briefing today around 1 for an updated number) and we’re such a tiny state, sandwiched between MA, CT and NY that it’s inevitable to see a large spike in cases that we know is coming.

OT, but I just received an email from my daughter’s university about the study abroad program she applied to next winter in NZ, I didn’t open it because I don’t want to see the cost!

Seems our governor has signed an executive order to have the National Guard collect unused ventilators from upstate hospitals to transfer them to downstate.
Don't worry upstate if you don't get them back you'll be reimbursed for them so that you can buy new ones (you know the ones he says are impossible to get right now) when all those city folks travel up there to getaway and infect your towns then overwhelm your hospitals.

I know he is being praised, and NYC is in the spotlight but his actions and decisions effect the entire state.

This site, https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections, will let you select your state from the drop down and see how good or bad a job your state citizens have done at flattening the curve, the results appear poor to extremely poor with a few outliers of greatness.

Take a look at Iowa. It looks like the place to be!

Looking at New York I can see why people have fled the state.

Another thing to notice is when the peak occurs from state to state. Some states are projected to be dealing with this until mid July. Will the nation need to remain in the current state of lock down through early August? Otherwise will we see a short relaxed period followed by another 3-5 month lock down?

Everyone ready for the current status quo to remain in place for another five months?

Iowa is one of the few states without a stay at home order. I'm not sure if they're doing a good job at flattening the curve or they're just lucky so far and they're a few weeks behind. Personally I'd prefer to be in a state with a stay at home order.

I’m Just outside Chicago. I admire the governor and mayor Lightfoot for their Quick aggressive stance. I think Illinois was right after Ohio to issue stay at home orders. Personally I think it’s nonsense that Iowa governor say she has no intention of issuing such an order. I hope it works out for her people but I think she has taken a dangerous stance being so close to a hot spot like Illinois. And the Florida gov was way too late when he didn’t even bother to close the beaches for spring break.

Guess: $3500. Lots of time to save.
$13,000 including airfare, 6 credits, would’ve been $8000 if she was in state. This is a 6 week winter program and her scholarship doesn’t cover any of it. She will still be paying rent for her off campus apartment $750 a month, she has 5 roommates).

Seems our governor has signed an executive order to have the National Guard collect unused ventilators from upstate hospitals to transfer them to downstate.
Don't worry upstate if you don't get them back you'll be reimbursed for them so that you can buy new ones (you know the ones he says are impossible to get right now) when all those city folks travel up there to getaway and infect your towns then overwhelm your hospitals.

I know he is being praised, and NYC is in the spotlight but his actions and decisions effect the entire state.
Ours too, I’m guessing that would mean supplies would come from south jersey to north jersey (where I am). Our state is so small things are bound to go bad in the south too.

Ours too, I’m guessing that would mean supplies would come from south jersey to north jersey (where I am). Our state is so small things are bound to go bad in the south too.

Right now there are places upstate where the numbers are not bad at all. However those are mostly rural areas with one hospital to cover a large number of towns.
We also know how fast the numbers go up and within days the confirmed cases can easily double.
I understand the need for equipment down in the city right now but I do worry that when it's taken from upstate that it will not be returned when they need it.
Cuomo should have been tougher with his NY on pause order, especially in NYC. It's pretty clear they are the problem. Like I said, he is getting praise because he is doing what he can for those down there, but NY is a huge state not just NYC.

$13,000 including airfare, 6 credits, would’ve been $8000 if she was in state. This is a 6 week winter program and her scholarship doesn’t cover any of it. She will still be paying rent for her off campus apartment $750 a month, she has 5 roommates).
What? That is crazy.

Virtually every semester abroad program at my daughters school is $3500. Some are a few weeks, some are more then a month, all are right around $3500 including airfare, accommodations, and many meals. They range from 3-6 semester hours credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter