• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How good is Artist Pointe?

I do understand these are some people’s favorites and I would never try to tell anyone to never go. We have favorites that some don’t like either! We each prefer different experiences.

Thanks for the explanation! We're trying to decide on a non-park signature restaurant for dinner on our last night. Already doing California Grill on another day. So we're 90% settled on Artist Point but there are a lot of folks like you who were just unimpressed.

@DisneyArkie If you do give AP another try and Copper River salmon is available, you must order it. I got to have it in June 2012, and it changed my life. LOL!

Also, the mushroom soup is outstanding, and I believe it is available in the Territory Lounge next door. :)

I've only been to Artist Point once and really disliked it. The service was extremely slow/poor and the food was mediocre at best.

I've opted to make this our first meal upon arrival...a day that we traditionally don't step foot in the parks.
Here's hoping we are off to a good start this trip!

We really enjoyed it when we visited. It's a really lovely atmosphere, not too busy either.
The food was really, really good. We expected it to be nice, but were surprised at how much we enjoyed it, because we didn't really have any expectations other than it was signature.

Our friends loved Artist Point. One mentioned they loved the buffalo steak. I didn't notice it on the menu. Does the menu often change?

Our friends loved Artist Point. One mentioned they loved the buffalo steak. I didn't notice it on the menu. Does the menu often change?

I read a review recently that said they ordered elk at Artist Point. It’s likely that meats, especially the more unusual ones like bison and elk, are available seasonally.

When we stayed at the Lodge, they had an easel set up outside the restaurant with a poster about Copper River salmon. It enticed us to eat there. We were on the Deluxe Plan and having 2 credit dinners every night. It was between there and Narcoosee, but I have to admit that the Copper River poster tipped it to AP.

I was glad that we chose AP because the Copper River fish was phenomenal. :)

I read a review recently that said they ordered elk at Artist Point. It’s likely that meats, especially the more unusual ones like bison and elk, are available seasonally.

When we stayed at the Lodge, they had an easel set up outside the restaurant with a poster about Copper River salmon. It enticed us to eat there. We were on the Deluxe Plan and having 2 credit dinners every night. It was between there and Narcoosee, but I have to admit that the Copper River poster tipped it to AP.

Need to try the Copper River salmon!!

We've been going to AP for well over a decade--about twice a year--and like any restaurant, it has had its peaks and valleys. For the first few years, it was superb. For a time over the course of about three years, service and food became inconsistent. However, a bit over two years ago a new management team did take over, in addition to changing out the executive chef. Since that time, we've found the restaurant has returned to its former glory. Granted, part of our love for AP has to do with the fact that my wife and I first met there, had our first romantic Disney dinner together there, and wound up getting married at the Lodge a few years later (yep, used AP as our wedding reception dinner location). Though I recognize that our attachment is somewhat emotional in nature, there's no denying AP is usually a topnotch venue. Yes, it has off nights still, I'm certain--I don't know of any place that doesn't outside of V&A's--but it's a lovely place to dine and one where you can go with a good deal of confidence in knowing you'll have an excellent meal.
FOOD: Excellent overall. They used to have bison on the menu year round, did for as long as I've been going, until recently. I wouldn't be afraid to try any game meat they offer, however. The salmon is their signature dish and is usually perfectly prepared (dear god don't order it overcooked). Having lived in AK for four years, I will attest to Copper River salmon being a real treat--richer, firmer. The smoky mushroom bisque is still the best starter on the menu (though the braised short rib Bolognese is darn good, too, as is the charcuterie). As for sweets, while the berry cobbler has been there go-to dessert over the years, they changed the recipe a few years back to involve fewer berries and a denser, chewier crust. It's still a notable dessert, but the house made donuts with dipping sauces is actually a bit better.
WINE: Their wine list is focused on Northwest wines, i.e., Oregon and Washington. As a general rule, the reds from Oregon and whites from Washington are the way to go. Oregon has a superb reputation for Pinot Noirs, for example. Washington and Riesling go hand in hand, too.
SERVICE: Usually excellent. Often exceptional. Rarely below standard. Management is very responsive.
AMBIANCE: One of the (if not THE) romantic restaurants on property. The Lodge itself is beautiful, and that feeling extends to AP, as well. For one thing, AP is rarely crowded, so that helps. If you can get seated close to a window, the expanse of the courtyard/pool area, the Old Faithful geyser, and the lake are available to you. Unlike, say, CA Grill, you can actually hear your dinner mate if you're having a quieter conversation. After dinner, walking around the lush grounds of the Lodge is a must.

Artist Point is very good. Whether the menu, ambiance, and location appeal to you is a decision only you can make.

We've been going to AP for well over a decade--about twice a year--and like any restaurant, it has had its peaks and valleys. For the first few years, it was superb. For a time over the course of about three years, service and food became inconsistent. However, a bit over two years ago a new management team did take over, in addition to changing out the executive chef. Since that time, we've found the restaurant has returned to its former glory. Granted, part of our love for AP has to do with the fact that my wife and I first met there, had our first romantic Disney dinner together there, and wound up getting married at the Lodge a few years later (yep, used AP as our wedding reception dinner location). Though I recognize that our attachment is somewhat emotional in nature, there's no denying AP is usually a topnotch venue. Yes, it has off nights still, I'm certain--I don't know of any place that doesn't outside of V&A's--but it's a lovely place to dine and one where you can go with a good deal of confidence in knowing you'll have an excellent meal.
FOOD: Excellent overall. They used to have bison on the menu year round, did for as long as I've been going, until recently. I wouldn't be afraid to try any game meat they offer, however. The salmon is their signature dish and is usually perfectly prepared (dear god don't order it overcooked). Having lived in AK for four years, I will attest to Copper River salmon being a real treat--richer, firmer. The smoky mushroom bisque is still the best starter on the menu (though the braised short rib Bolognese is darn good, too, as is the charcuterie). As for sweets, while the berry cobbler has been there go-to dessert over the years, they changed the recipe a few years back to involve fewer berries and a denser, chewier crust. It's still a notable dessert, but the house made donuts with dipping sauces is actually a bit better.
WINE: Their wine list is focused on Northwest wines, i.e., Oregon and Washington. As a general rule, the reds from Oregon and whites from Washington are the way to go. Oregon has a superb reputation for Pinot Noirs, for example. Washington and Riesling go hand in hand, too.
SERVICE: Usually excellent. Often exceptional. Rarely below standard. Management is very responsive.
AMBIANCE: One of the (if not THE) romantic restaurants on property. The Lodge itself is beautiful, and that feeling extends to AP, as well. For one thing, AP is rarely crowded, so that helps. If you can get seated close to a window, the expanse of the courtyard/pool area, the Old Faithful geyser, and the lake are available to you. Unlike, say, CA Grill, you can actually hear your dinner mate if you're having a quieter conversation. After dinner, walking around the lush grounds of the Lodge is a must.

Artist Point is very good. Whether the menu, ambiance, and location appeal to you is a decision only you can make.

I was veering towards the salmon main course but youse decided me. And yes... over cooked salmon is some sort of deadly sin straight from Hades :eek:.

Glad to read all these positive reviews. We are staying at WL for the first time in November and are planning to eat at AP on our arrival night. My DH really loves salmon, so I will have to tell him the Copper River Salmon comes highly recommended.

Thank you for this, we will be hitting AP again after a couple year hiatus and I had my eye on the braised short rib bolognese but couldn't find too much information on it. I am definitely ordering the donuts, it also feels wrong not to order the cobbler, so that is going to have to happen too (the AP menu is of the reasons we sprung for one night on the DxDP), but it is going to be difficult for me to pass up on the creme brulee, as it is usually my favorite dessert and it isn't something I find often around home. We are staying at CCV that evening so I am hopeful someone can just roll me to my room!

^^^
The cobbler is calling my name too but but so is the creme brulee;).

Last edited:
We have eaten dinner at Artist Point about five times in the last 6 years and the last two visits were the best. We ate there in May of 2017 and just last February and really enjoyed it both our meals. The food was good and the service was excellent. I think we got the same waitress both times. The dining room is very relaxed, never noisy, and it is just a nice atmosphere all around. :)

Leaving this Saturday for our stay at WL. After sleepydog25's review above, I am really looking forward to our ADR at AP. This will be our first time dining there.

I've been to Artist Point a few times, and it consistently manages to amaze me every time. The meal is always out of this world and frankly one of the best dishes i've ever had. No joke. This past trip i had the steak.....cooked perfectly, so tender, so flavorful. The veg and potato on the plate was incredible as well. Service was outstanding too, every time. I highly recommend it.

FYI I had already started eating the steak when i realized I needed to snap a pic. :) Thats why the portion size isnt accurate.
upload_2018-4-9_9-12-15.png

This is the seasonal cobbler with icecream. Incredible.
upload_2018-4-9_10-5-35.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter