How often do you use Public transportation in your own city?

I just looked it up as I was curious. Only 1 in 10 of people in the U.S. use public transportation on a daily or weekly basis. I assumed it was pretty low so this doesn't surprise me at all.

I haven't taken public transportation since I was in HS, but I can say that Disney transportation is nothing like it!
I prefer Disney transportation when I'm there, not driving is a nice break. It is easy to get used too, you find the stop, get on the bus that is going where you want. Repeat.
Sometimes the buses are very crowded and you will have to stand.
If you are a man and you are seated and don't offer your seat to someone you will get dirty looks, and then come on here and see a thread about it ;)

In my own city? Virtually never; I really can't remember the last time I was on a bus or train. Calgary is actually quite renowned for it's public transit compared to other Canadian cities but we're also a "car culture" and we have 3 vehicles in our household for 3 people - we drive everywhere.

We spent some time in Europe last spring and took quite a few train/subway rides, including from Paris out to DLP. :earsgirl: It was a totally different experience than transit here and SO EASY! DLR, which is our "home park" (LOL), doesn't have or need a transit system; we stay close and walk. On our one visit to WDW we had a rental vehicle and drove to the different parks from AKL. The only transit we took at all was the ferry to and from MK.

Last edited:

I never use public transportation at home, but I have when we’ve flown to visit places like Vancouver or DC. Our public transportation in town is awful and parking isn’t an issue around here, so it’s much faster to drive myself.

LA? really? WOW

I used public transit to commute to work when I lived in L.A. 1.5 blocks walk to the bus line, and it dropped me off right in front of my office building. It was easier than driving and paying for parking. If you needed to transfer from one bus to another, however, it could be a time consuming hassle.

My current area has poor public transit. But when I visit Philly, I mostly drive to the train station and take that into the city.

I often take public transit within cities when I visit: NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, London, many more. Almost all cities with good public transit have one, three, or seven day visitor passes.

I use local public transit most weeks. I walk and ride my bike if staying in town or only going one town over in nice weather and take the train or bus to get further or in rain/snow.
We use public transit often on vacations all kinds of places.

I think WDW's bus system is fine for what it is. Mot people using it are not accustomed to riding public transit normally and do not really understand how to fill in space, etc; there are no schedules adheered to so panning on timing isn't possible, etc---but for just getting around the parks it works.

I can't speak to public transit here, I rode it once, when I was 5 and that was 55 years ago. At $110 a month for a monthly pass, my car has to be cheaper.
Now at WDW last year we paid the $29 per person for the week for the Express Bus service. It was AMAZING. But I just looked it up and it appears they discontinued this new service in August of last year. :( They picked you up inside each of the parks, and dropped you off inside the parks so you didn't have to go through security. Saved a ton of time.
I found the regular transportation at WDW to be just fine, with one exception. Our last day, when he had to get back to the Grand Floridian from the Magic Kingdom to pickup our luggage and catch our bus to the airport, the monorail broke down. It took them 45 minutes to get enough additional boats (the large capacity ones) into service, and the monorail was still down, but we thought for a while we might miss our bus and our flight.

At home, I use whatever type of public transport is available to get to where I need to go: subway, bus, ferry, taxi.
I do not own a car or even know how to drive.

I prefer the monorail and boat service @ Disney over the bus but that's my same preference at home too just subbing the word monorail for subway.
Occasionally we'll take a taxi from one site in WDW to another like Poly to AKL.

never use public transport in my city.....too inconvenient.
It's fine at WDW

We live in a suburb about 30 miles from Minneapolis. Public transport here is non-existent. We have a commuter train that makes a couple trips downtown and a couple trips back, but only M-F and only during rush hour. We have no bus service or anything else up here. And nothing is close enough to walk (accept a couple of a bars about a mile and a half away :-) so driving is essential.

I live in a city of about 70,000 and have never used our bus system. I have always used the buses in WDW.

Never. We don’t have public transportation in our little town. People have tried to run a taxi service but no one’s ever been able to make a successful go of it.

Here the buses are phenomenal and the trains pretty comprehensive so I don't own a car.

For Disney, you can take the iRide Trolley and connect with a bus service (I forget which) and that will take you to the park gates. Cheap as chips, fairly regular.

I used to use local public transport all the time. But then we moved to an area where there isn't any.

I had no problems getting used to Disney's system. It's all about being patient. Or grab a taxi if I'm going from resort to resort. Very easy.

I have been getting spoiled by renting a car on my last trips but I've got to start saving more money someplace when I go to Disney and after this next trip, I'll be going back to using Disney Transportation and taxi's when needed. I may even try uber again although I've had no luck with them- drivers not showing up twice for me.

There's no reason for me personally to use public transit in my area. We do have buses even out here in the 'burbs but I don't need to use it

However I've used transit in Vegas (both the buses and the monorail), the subways, bus and/or light rail system or combination in NJ (Newark & West New York) & NYC, Boston, D.C. and STL plus Frisco, CO. If you want to use it I did use the campus buses at my alma mater plus one time the city where my alma mater was located at their public transit.

Used the buses at WDW to get from park to park when needed back in 2011 but didn't use the bus at all in 2017-we just drove but we were onsite versus offsite like in 2011 where our hotel had a free shuttle to the parks and then we used Disney's transit when needed to get from park to park.

TBH the college campus buses were probably the hardest simply because just about everyone had a backpack, messenger bag, etc and campus was on top of a hill and normally it was full of standing students. Now granted you didn't normally have too too far to go but still-up the hill with lots of backpacks, etc in the way. The ones that had the hardest is the buses that is run by my county that goes in between my alma mater (over 30miles away) and the Community College here. I never rode it but it took about 50mins due to bus speed on the highway and it was packed to the brim with many having to stand the entire time.

When I rode the WDW bus in 2011 I didn't find it bad at all other than not knowing when the next bus was going to come it was a bit frustrating to have to wait 45mins for an AK bus. Since we didn't ride the buses in 2017 when we stayed on site I can't comment on how the resort buses situation was from the All-Stars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter