I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I guess I don't want any of them going under. But if they are paying less taxes then it seems like my ticket should be less money also. But since their prices fluctuate so much they seem arbitrary anyway. Oh well, not sure what to do about those flights now. Need to decide if I really want to change them by a day for more points.
It's not SW paying less taxes, you're paying less taxes. By law/regulation/something airlines must show you the all-inclusive fare which includes the base rate, fees, and the government mandated excise taxes/fees (except for the 9/11 security 5.60 fee, that's always separate). If you look at a fare break down you can see the base rate of the ticket versus the other fees to see what the actual fare is. SW points are calculated on the base fare, which is why you can see tickets with different cash prices cost the same amount of points.

The example the article showed something like a $49 ticket costing less points than a $45 ticket. I don't know the actual breakdown but pulling numbers out of the air, say the $49 ticket was $35 airfare and $14 in taxes. But the $45 ticket is now $40 airfare and only $5 in taxes. It's still cheaper overall but SW increased their fare by $5 so the points cost would also increase. It might feel like a deval but if you calculate the cpp using the base rates and not total ticket cost it should be around the usual redemption rates.

Doesn't help that it's still more points but it's not supposed to be a devaluation (at least not yet).

For the most part Dh has been using Clorox wipes because that’s really all we have besides bleach. We watched a video today saying you should wash all fruits for 20 seconds each in the sink that have a skin. We didn’t get any fruits with dinnerly so didn’t have to worry about that. The vegetables were all in plastic wrap that we wiped down. We did just order from target using Shipt and it’s supposed to come tomorrow. We had apples and oranges so we’re gonna wash them in the sink. Everything else will be wiped with Clorox wipes
I have not been disinfecting food. I just wash everything the same way I always have.

Does make you wonder, doesn't it? This is a pretty big deal, though, and will mean I'm much less likely to ditch one of my MR cards.
I have the pair with Chase and also 3 cards with Amex. I'm disappointed in the Amex because of what I see as the devaluation of the 50K certificate. Anyway do not have to make any decisions right this moment but I'm leaning towards a downgrade of the brilliant unless something comes along that makes it worth keeping. It gives me gold status which isn't much and if I can work my way into plat this year, I won't need it for gold.

I have the pair with Chase and also 3 cards with Amex. I'm disappointed in the Amex because of what I see as the devaluation of the 50K certificate. Anyway do not have to make any decisions right this moment but I'm leaning towards a downgrade of the brilliant unless something comes along that makes it worth keeping. It gives me gold status which isn't much and if I can work my way into plat this year, I won't need it for gold.

Yeah, I will consider downgrading the Brilliant, although I have still been able to get pretty good value out of that cert - mostly with airport hotels that aren't high cat but can be ridiculously expensive mid-week (looking at you, San Jose Airport Spring Hill Suites).

watched a video today saying you should wash all fruits for 20 seconds each in the sink that have a skin.
I have always washed produce. Good habit to do if you haven't been doing all along. I just use soap and water. Though for berries and grapes I also do a vinegar/water soak as it seems to prevent mold. longer.

Omg we had our first dinnerly meal tonight and it was delicious! We made Philly cheesesteak burgers with fries and it was all sooo good. We definitely couldn’t go down to 2 portions. We easily ate the “4 portions” between the two of us and I’m actually eating less lately since baby is so big. We’re considering keeping the meals coming but maybe every other week instead. Dh and I had a lot of fun making it together!

Attachments

• F34A798F-23B2-4A47-8494-F3AE1542D88A.jpeg
    F34A798F-23B2-4A47-8494-F3AE1542D88A.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 53
  • B13F9E9E-1543-454C-83CA-93A0E5FE71CD.jpeg
    B13F9E9E-1543-454C-83CA-93A0E5FE71CD.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 51
I've started to work my way through the list of states. Colorado looks bad. Disproportionately high Bed shortage and high need for ventilators. That's assuming that you need hospitalization and need a ventilator.

I think CO is going to have a hard time if this gets going too much more here and in the states around us. Denver is the biggest city, with the best medical care, for not only our whole state but for many of the states around us. People travel here from much of the central western states (Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska). Kind of scary.

I've posted here before about wearing face masks (homemade, reusable, please do not buy ones that medical professionals need) even if you don't have any symptoms. I'm seeing that idea gain traction in the media today, with numerous sites mentioning the idea of the general public wearing face masks. So I'm sharing a link for a face mask idea that doesn't require any sewing at all, for anyone who is interested. This mask is NOT to protect you from catching coronavirus, it is to DECREASE the viral particles you could be spreading before you even know you have it.

I've posted here before about wearing face masks (homemade, reusable, please do not buy ones that medical professionals need) even if you don't have any symptoms. I'm seeing that idea gain traction in the media today, with numerous sites mentioning the idea of the general public wearing face masks. So I'm sharing a link for a face mask idea that doesn't require any sewing at all, for anyone who is interested. This mask is NOT to protect you from catching coronavirus, it is to DECREASE the viral particles you could be spreading before you even know you have it.

Too bad I don’t have most of those materials. I’m not sure how many people would, but good ideas. My sister is making the cloth ones, which again, better than nothing.

I thought washing produce with soap was not recommended.
I’m not sure how valid that is. Dish soap is designed for things that come in contact with food. On one website, it talked about being absorbed into food, which could also come from plates, knives, pots and pans. Also if it is easily absorbed wouldn’t it be absorbed into your skin? I’m not talking a big blob of soap, I use a drop or 2.
BTW, totally anecdotal but I’ve used a produce wash or a tiny bit of dish soap for years.

Since 2012 the Calypso household has been LOL/24. We now find ourselves under 5/24 for the first time in years. I can happily announce approval for the CIP! :banana:

In other good news I can share the first hand reason not to cancel a flight until you absolutely have to. We were supposed to be traveling to NYC this weekend to take my niece to see her first Broadway show. Broadway shows were cancelled some weeks ago. So, I cancelled two of the award flights I had booked via BA once I knew we would not be going. Cancelling domestic award flights with BA and redepositing miles isn't the headache, fee laden nightmare some other airlines make it out to be, like AA. My niece's flight was not an award flight. So, I figured I'd leave it alone just in case the airline cancels the flight. Well, AA cancelled the flight, not me and now I can get a refund instead of an air travel voucher. Yay! :banana:

Since 2012 the Calypso household has been LOL/24. We now find ourselves under 5/24 for the first time in years. I can happily announce approval for the CIP! :banana:

In other good news I can share the first hand reason not to cancel a flight until you absolutely have to. We were supposed to be traveling to NYC this weekend to take my niece to see her first Broadway show. Broadway shows were cancelled some weeks ago. So, I cancelled two of the award flights I had booked via BA once I knew we would not be going. Cancelling domestic award flights with BA and redepositing miles isn't the headache, fee laden nightmare some other airlines make it out to be, like AA. My niece's flight was not an award flight. So, I figured I'd leave it alone just in case the airline cancels the flight. Well, AA cancelled the flight, not me and now I can get a refund instead of an air travel voucher. Yay! :banana:
Congrats on the approval and refund party:

It's not SW paying less taxes, you're paying less taxes. By law/regulation/something airlines must show you the all-inclusive fare which includes the base rate, fees, and the government mandated excise taxes/fees (except for the 9/11 security 5.60 fee, that's always separate). If you look at a fare break down you can see the base rate of the ticket versus the other fees to see what the actual fare is. SW points are calculated on the base fare, which is why you can see tickets with different cash prices cost the same amount of points.

The example the article showed something like a $49 ticket costing less points than a $45 ticket. I don't know the actual breakdown but pulling numbers out of the air, say the $49 ticket was $35 airfare and $14 in taxes. But the $45 ticket is now $40 airfare and only $5 in taxes. It's still cheaper overall but SW increased their fare by $5 so the points cost would also increase. It might feel like a deval but if you calculate the cpp using the base rates and not total ticket cost it should be around the usual redemption rates.

Doesn't help that it's still more points but it's not supposed to be a devaluation (at least not yet).

That is how it should work in theory, but none of the flight prices I have been looking at have gone down. They have stayed the same or gone up. I know prices fluctuate a lot, but seems I would see some of them go down in $ value if I personally was the one profiting from the less taxes. One of my flights I noticed last week the whole summer was $135 for cheapest flight every day. I paid $139 but points were the same. I know close prices usually have same points, no big deal. Now whole month still $135. Only thing that changed is now points are up. So it is definitely not the consumer saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter