I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering getting TSA precheck for the first time.

The first available appointment near me is May 17.

Anyone have a guess as to how soon after the appointment I might actually get it? The next time I plan to fly is July 12. (I have no idea how long this kind of thing takes).
My husband got TSA Pre-check recently and got the number pretty quickly after getting fingerprinted. He got an email within a day or so saying it had been approved and his KTN showed up online on their website a few days later. They didn't send an email saying that a KTN had been assigned, so we had to keep checking the website. From what I've read, it either ends up coming really quickly (a few days) or takes a long time (a month or more).

Anyone have a guess as to how soon after the appointment I might actually get it? The next time I plan to fly is July 12. (I have no idea how long this kind of thing takes).
Also, if you're playing the credit card game, check to see if any of your cards will reimburse the cost of TSA pre-check. My husband got his free by paying with his Southwest Biz card and I believe my Venture X also has it. There's probably others I'm not as familiar with as well.

Hey ya'll, I was thrown for a loop when I went in for a typical cosmetic visit and mentioned a small area under my eye. Seems it is most likely basal cell carcinoma- just waiting on pathology results to confirm. The derm was as certain as you can be without pathology. I'm very pragmatic and prefer that kind of straightforward approach- I really don't like to be in limbo. So I am happy to operate under the assumption it is BCC and begin to formulate a plan. Seems like Mohs will most likely be the treatment, coordinated with plastic surgery, though those details are less certain.

The reason I mention it here is because I am hoping for advice from anyone who's been dealt with something similar. We are supposed to travel to Italy in about 60 days and while I've had all of our accomodations booked for the last year, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on flights. I know, that's super unusual, especially for me. The next 30 days flights were predicted to drop, so I was waiting. But, with the uncertainty of needing a procedure and then the sun and heat in Tuscany and Rome, I'm just not sure what to do if flight prices suddenly get to where I want them. Any thoughts?

P.S. It's really fine, I'm fine, it's super common and it's just one of those things. I am incredibly grateful for my life, including challenges like this.
Let us know when you get the final results. Any kind of carcinoma sends shivers through me, but sounds like you are dealing with it as well as can be expected. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a quick healing and recovery. No thoughts on flights as I'm just not a flyer right now.

Took my DD last Saturday afternoon for this. Got an email on Monday at 5:46 am. Checked after getting to work around 7 am and her number was already there. My DH and I recently got ours too and it only took a few days. I’m surprised the next appointment is that far away. I looked on Friday and booked the next day. (All the places are 1.5-2 hours away from us so we had several to choose from).

My husband got TSA Pre-check recently and got the number pretty quickly after getting fingerprinted. He got an email within a day or so saying it had been approved and his KTN showed up online on their website a few days later. They didn't send an email saying that a KTN had been assigned, so we had to keep checking the website. From what I've read, it either ends up coming really quickly (a few days) or takes a long time (a month or more).

Took my DD last Saturday afternoon for this. Got an email on Monday at 5:46 am. Checked after getting to work around 7 am and her number was already there. My DH and I recently got ours too and it only took a few days. I’m surprised the next appointment is that far away. I looked on Friday and booked the next day. (All the places are 1.5-2 hours away from us so we had several to choose from).

I had the same experience when I took youngest DD for hers last summer. Went to the appointment, got the email notification a couple days later and her number was on the website. Super quick but then I figured as a kid, she doesn't have much to investigate in her past! I think with you appointment time and travel dates, you'll be fine.

Also, Marriott FNC and top-off is live on the website version, if you have patiently been waiting for it.

Thank you for the heads up! I had 2 50K's expiring in June and I was able to use them to replace an existing Hyatt reservation. Saving my Hyatt points!!! Can't get better than that. I had to add 6000 marriott rewards to each night, but the nights are over $400 each so no biggie. Totally did NOT expect to get these nights at Marriott. Plus, the hotel is right next to the Hyatt I had booked and I'm also Platinum so I'll get a basic bacon and eggs breakfast or pantry whichever I choose. Also submitted 2 suite night awards in hopes of getting a better view. Hmm, that's a huge maybe. Either way I'm pleased as this will also allow me to use my Marriott gift card for maybe a dinner.

My guess is this option will be gone by noon at this hotel.

Also, if you're playing the credit card game, check to see if any of your cards will reimburse the cost of TSA pre-check. My husband got his free by paying with his Southwest Biz card and I believe my Venture X also has it. There's probably others I'm not as familiar with as well.

I had the same experience when I took youngest DD for hers last summer. Went to the appointment, got the email notification a couple days later and her number was on the website. Super quick but then I figured as a kid, she doesn't have much to investigate in her past! I think with you appointment time and travel dates, you'll be fine.
Thank you all very much.

Do you think it'll make the process any faster if I already have a fingerprint clearance card from Arizona DPS ? (Probably not but it never hurts to ask!)

Thank you all very much.

Do you think it'll make the process any faster if I already have a fingerprint clearance card from Arizona DPS ? (Probably not but it never hurts to ask!)
I suppose you could bring it along to show in case it could be helpful? I'm guessing they would still need to run the fingerprints again, though. My husband is a teacher, so he had already been fingerprinted at the same location when applying for his job and they still had him submit fingerprints again for TSA Pre-check. The KTN did come through quickly for him, though, so maybe already being in the system could expedite the process?

Thank you all very much.

It likely will, at least for the fingerprint time linel...my DH and I in former lives had security clearances as well as multiple fingerprints done from working with children. Anything now that requires them happens much more quickly than for those who haven't (one volunteer co ordinator told me my 2 hour v 2 weeks turnaround for their process was a record).

More on TSA Precheck (I am looking at their website under "Airports and Airlines"... it lists Southwest out of PHX, but does NOT list Southwest out of MIA (we may be cruising out of Miami in March). Does anyone know if SW truly doesn't participate in it specifically from MIA?

Hey ya'll, I was thrown for a loop when I went in for a typical cosmetic visit and mentioned a small area under my eye. Seems it is most likely basal cell carcinoma- just waiting on pathology results to confirm. The derm was as certain as you can be without pathology. I'm very pragmatic and prefer that kind of straightforward approach- I really don't like to be in limbo. So I am happy to operate under the assumption it is BCC and begin to formulate a plan. Seems like Mohs will most likely be the treatment, coordinated with plastic surgery, though those details are less certain.

The reason I mention it here is because I am hoping for advice from anyone who's been dealt with something similar. We are supposed to travel to Italy in about 60 days and while I've had all of our accommodations booked for the last year, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on flights. I know, that's super unusual, especially for me. The next 30 days flights were predicted to drop, so I was waiting. But, with the uncertainty of needing a procedure and then the sun and heat in Tuscany and Rome, I'm just not sure what to do if flight prices suddenly get to where I want them. Any thoughts?

P.S. It's really fine, I'm fine, it's super common and it's just one of those things. I am incredibly grateful for my life, including challenges like this.
I also had a BCC and Mohs removal but it was my leg. I recall being told no pool or beach and keep it clean and covered. I had to change bandaging and apply mupirocin every day. We live in Florida where it is hot and humid anyhow. I am sure that it may be a bit more uncomfortable under the eye but I would think you'd be pretty well healed up by then anyhow.

If there is scarring that you might be self conscious about for pictures, large sunglasses may help cover that or use kid's adhesive optho patches (Amazon carries them) to cover it up. I use the kid's eye patches periodically over my right eye when it is acting up and won't blink from the nerve damage. I don't mind how the eye patches look in pictures. I have them in lots of different designs and colors and bring them on trips to coordinate with my outfits, just in case I have a flare up. I've accepted them as cute and fun accessories. I also will use them as an aesthetics solution for a picture when my eye refuses to stay completely open. I'd be really upset if I was on a trip and hated all my pictures because I looked like Quasimodo. I'd rather slap a patch on and take a picture that makes me smile instead of cry. It's vain and trivial in the grand scheme of things I know. Anyhow, I hope you don't wind up with temporary scarring that affects how you feel about yourself. I'm contemplating surgery next year for my nerve damage that will hopefully get my face/smile more symmetrical.

I read this as well, but it didn't apply to my case. I transferred my Freedom points to Hubby's CSP by calling in. We are both AU on the other, so the rep could quickly see we were household members and transferred no problem.

When I logged back in to do it myself a couple months later, his card did NOT appear as an eligible transfer card. I once again had to call in. The agent was able to do it quickly; she saw in the history that I had already transferred to his card so only asked me to confirm the last 4. Even after this second transfer, his card does not appear on the site as an eligible transfer for me.

This is my experience also. Although the 2nd time I did it, they did is via SM

I just spent the most frustrating 2 hours on the phone trying to transfer my Freedom URs to DH's CSR. For some reason, the rep keeps getting an error that DH's last name doesn't match his card. I'm like...it's printed on his card and all over his account. He's never had any other last name, so... But after 2 hours of being transferred to verification dept, accounts services, rewards, no one can figure it out. I got hung up on with the last rep and decided not to call back.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to try? I'll wait until I have time over the work week to try calling again.

I'm in a FB group, and it annoys me to no end the "order" everyone in that group feels you HAVE to take to play this game. Often overlooking great offers like this! After the 3 nights in PDC at the swim up ocean front suite (all inclusive), I was on a mission for more Hilton Points and FNC. So I used my last spot to grab the free Hilton card (the only one I haven't had) when they had the 70k + FNC offer. That card/offer brings me way more value right now than more URs or other Chase cards. That said, I went for the IHG Biz card when it launched (about 25 days after going 5/24) and got it! I drop back under in May, so I'm not too worried.

I have always preached that you need to do you when it comes to this game! You don't HAVE to do the CSP, then the Inks, then the Freedoms, then other Chase cards, etc IF Amex cards make more sense to what YOU want to do. I mean all that said, I had the CSR since it's launch, CIP, 2 CICs, CIU, Freedom (OG), CFF. And I'm sitting on over 500k URs. And I'll likely try the MDD coming up. BUT that said, I've gotten personal cards when others would say it didn't make sense, or Amex cards. Heck I love AA miles, and I'm looking forward to getting some personal AA cards once I do the MDD this summer.
I couldn't agree with this more. What works for one person may not be the ideal scenario for another. Nothing wrong with general guidelines, but there is no one right way. I stayed well over 5/24 for many years. Then, when it was convenient for me to do so, I got under again. I will go back over 5/24 at some point, but for now, my priorities require me to stay under. I've used points or miles even when the cpp wasn't what I would prefer because that was what worked best for me at that moment in time.

FYI, my giftcards.com points which I'd opened a case for were pending and then finally posted a few days ago.

DH had an appt today with Wells Fargo business banker for $1500 bonus. Between the drive and being there, it was about 90 minutes- except there is no business banker there on Saturdays, so he'll need to reschedule. So, so typical of WF.

Looking to book a room at a Hyatt Regency (if availability opens for my dates). While searching other dates I see it says room available
Details
- Regency/Grand Club free room rate

Would I be eligible for this room? I’m just a basic Hyatt member.
Would I also be able to book one of the Destination properties?
I want to be prepared as I will need to cancel my current Chase booking, transfer points and purchase a few more points.

Thank you all very much.

It likely will, at least for the fingerprint time linel...my DH and I in former lives had security clearances as well as multiple fingerprints done from working with children. Anything now that requires them happens much more quickly than for those who haven't (one volunteer co ordinator told me my 2 hour v 2 weeks turnaround for their process was a record).
They will still take your prints there but how many times you're prints have been run by the FBI will make a difference in how quickly they come back. I've been fingerprinted for multiple jobs and applications over the years and have annual criminal background checks done annually for my primary job, side hustle and firearm carry permits. My KTN came back three days after my application, my wife who had never been fingerprinted in her life took 10 days.

In other news, the wife and I are putting in our first offer on a house today. Almost no chance we get it because we aren't willing to bid 20+% over asking but it's the next step in the process. I also got an 8% raise at my primary job and a 33% raise on my side hustle due to inflation.

Looking to book a room at a Hyatt Regency (if availability opens for my dates). While searching other dates I see it says room available
Details
- Regency/Grand Club free room rate

Would I be eligible for this room? I’m just a basic Hyatt member.
Would I also be able to book one of the Destination properties?
I want to be prepared as I will need to cancel my current Chase booking, transfer points and purchase a few more points.

You can book a club room for more points. You can book a Destination property too just like any other Hyatt.

Beware that the points Hyatt shows is the lowest in your reservation period. You can see how much each night costs in the Points Calendar link under the hotel info after you click View Rates. You can change the chart from standard room to club (and suite as well). This doesn't show availability, just if it's standard rate, peak or non-peak.

You can book a club room for more points. You can book a Destination property too just like any other Hyatt.

Beware that the points Hyatt shows is the lowest in your reservation period. You can see how much each night costs in the Points Calendar link under the hotel info after you click View Rates. You can change the chart from standard room to club (and suite as well). This doesn't show availability, just if it's standard rate, peak or non-peak.
Thanks! I’m aware that the points may not be what’s posted. The resort I’m looking at shows 25k but when I find availability it’s for 33k. I’m hoping something in the 25k range will open up but realize I’m probably outta luck at this point lol

Nothing like booking a last minute cruise! I was able to get a fantastic price for the Symphony of the Seas for Memorial Day week. DS decided he would prefer to cruise rather than go to FL. So cruising it is. Pretty sure he wants the unlimited specialty dining too. We loved it on EOTS at Christmas. All the filet mignon he can eat…

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter