I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are other kits available but I think it was @CaliforniaGirl09 who recommended eMed
My worst fear was getting stuck and unable to fly home. I kept telling myself it would be inconvenient but not the worst thing in the world. We all took PCR tests once home and DH was positive. Thankfully DS and I never were positive
Thank you for explaining this. I am going to go this route--definitely more convenient than doing it at the airport.

Not sure where you are but sending lots of :tink: on the house hunting…my daughter and her husband were looking since November for a larger house here on LI…they though the prices were crazy last year but have only gone higher…they just had an offer accepted for 10% over asking….but on the flip side their house sold in a day for 20% over asking…17 offers…it’s nuts
I'm in somewhat small town WI (60,000). I think we are going to offer 5-7% over asking. We have pre-approval for 20% over but we while we really like the house, we aren't running around saying we have to have it. The new thing here is to list the house on a Tuesday, have showings during the week, a two hour open house on the weekend and all offers have to be in by Midnight Sunday night. A decision is made on Monday. Nothing within 50 miles of me has been on the market for more than 30 days.

I'm in somewhat small town WI (60,000). I think we are going to offer 5-7% over asking. We have pre-approval for 20% over but we while we really like the house, we aren't running around saying we have to have it. The new thing here is to list the house on a Tuesday, have showings during the week, a two hour open house on the weekend and all offers have to be in by Midnight Sunday night. A decision is made on Monday. Nothing within 50 miles of me has been on the market for more than 30 days.
They do pretty much the same here…her house was listed on a Thursday…with only an outside picture….10 people booked private showing on Saturday with just that…they then posted the rest Friday…private showings all day Saturday, open house Sunday.

Their agent told everyone have your highest/best offers in writing by Monday night…received 17…they reviewed them…and selected …it wasn’t the highest $$ but had over 20% down, no contingencies, and waved an inspection

The house the bought was her dream house…it’s beautiful and 10 minutes from us, which is perfect since I watch my granddaughter a few days a week 🥰

They do pretty much the same here…her house was listed on a Thursday…with only an outside picture….10 people booked private showing on Saturday with just that…they then posted the rest Friday…private showings all day Saturday, open house Sunday.

Their agent told everyone have your highest/best offers in writing by Monday night…received 17…they reviewed them…and selected …it wasn’t the highest $$ but had over 20% down, no contingencies, and waved an inspection

The house the bought was her dream house…it’s beautiful and 10 minutes from us, which is perfect since I watch my granddaughter a few days a week 🥰
I think that's what's going on here as well. My neighbor just sold. A ton of showings midweek. Open house Sunday. Pending Monday. This isn't sustainable though between a possible recession and rising interest rates (I refinanced in August and rates are up 275 basis points since then).

There are other kits available but I think it was @CaliforniaGirl09 who recommended eMed
My worst fear was getting stuck and unable to fly home. I kept telling myself it would be inconvenient but not the worst thing in the world. We all took PCR tests once home and DH was positive. Thankfully DS and I never were positive
It probably was me. I've used them for a long time now. Ironically, DH just took one for his flight back tomorrow, LOL! They work really well with BA's Verfily (or American Airlines). I've never had to wait for a proctor. I always bring an extra test or two in case one is missing something. I actually bring extra lateral flow tests (non-proctored) to test before hand as well so I'm not surprised. Just an FYI if you are using other systems that you need to make sure the PDF you save is not password protected. DH just had a problem with that for Virgin's "Fly Ready."

Funny you mentioned this. We just sold our cabin under a similar timeline. I was really surprised and kept asking the agent whether we shouldn't have it on at least a week, LOL. She was insistent that buyers get antsy if it's on too long in markets like this. It went onto the MLS on Thursday during a big late-season snowstorm (2+ feet). After the snow was shoveled, LOL, there were a couple showings on Friday. Opens houses on Saturday and Sunday and offers by 5 pm Monday. We actually had our fist offer on Friday. Ended up with 7 offers and 25% over list all cash. This market is wild, but we're very happy. Crossing fingers for a smooth closing...

I love it when US Bank runs a bank bonus because for anyone in their footprint it’s a great way to get a foot in the door for an Altitude Reserve! DoC has the bank bonus details here.

I think the AR is an underrated premium card. 3% on everything mobile payment! (Imho don’t buy Gift Cards, some people get by with it others get shutdown and there is NO reconsideration with US bank.) The main barrier to entry for an AR is being a US Bank client, and then 5/24ish.

Full disclosure it’s been a few years since my approval 😂…. but fwiw… I got my AR about 6 months after my bank account. I was 6/24 which is on the high end but I used the pre-approval tool when applying- it doesn’t guarantee approval but when I called to check on it a couple days after applying the banker mentioned he saw I was pre-approved and finalized the approval on the phone- so use that tool if offered!).

They’ve been fairly generous with retention bonuses but it varies person to person and is entirely decided by a computer. I went 3 years in a row with 10k pt retention offers until this year when I decided I actually want the card and paid the AF without a bribe 😝
ok, looking at this card again. I have had a checking/savings with them for 8 years. Do you suggest freezing those weird bureaus before application? And if so, can you just leave them frozen?

ok, looking at this card again. I have had a checking/savings with them for 8 years. Do you suggest freezing those weird bureaus before application? And if so, can you just leave them frozen?
Personally I don’t freeze any bureaus so it’s not something I looked into.

Congrats on the upgrade--love those. We have actually been in London for the past week+. I'm heading up to Scotland on the train later today to meet @Calfan :) Great timing on the markets question since we just went yesterday! My favorite of the markets is Borough Market but that is primarily food. It's seriously an explosion for the eyes and nose. Go around lunch time and you'll have a hard time choosing (paella always has a huge line, but I love the pizza from Bread Ahead). I'm not sure I've been to Portobello, but Camden is fun as it's on the canal and has lots of different things that might be more interesting for your daughter? We also really like Spittalfields. It's more out of the way, but one of our favorite eats is nearby. I highly recommend Tibet Kitchen if you like dumplings. Just an FYI that I would go in and out of Liverpool street station for both. It's slightly more of a walk, but it's through a better part of town. There's also Covent Gardens. I love this city! (And P.S. since this is a DISboards, I should mention that the Wallace Collection has a small Disney exhibition right now--we went a couple days ago and really enjoyed it. It's quick--under 45 minutes; also British Museum has a great Stonehenge exhibit right now). Have a blast!
Thank you! Camden Market it is!

Rather odd situation with the Biltmore London. I got the e-mail from hiltondotcom that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite at 10am yesterday morning. At 5:00pm l received an e-mail from the hotel saying that there weren't any Junior Suites in inventory and we would remain in our twin bed room. Of course I checked the website and there was at least 1 Junior Suite showing for our stay. So I e-mailed the hotel back and the Duty Manager (who sent the 5pm e-mail) said that if I wanted a Junior Suite it would be an additional 200 British pounds / night. I immediately called the diamond desk and they said that they would deal with the hotel and not to worry. Within 30 mins I had another e-mail from the Duty Manager who said that I must have misunderstood his e-mail and they were happy to put me in a Junior Suite but thought I'd be happier in a twin bed room with my daughter (which is not what he said at all). I played along and thanked him for clarifying. But if this had happened when there was point availability at the Conrad I would've switched because the interaction left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Thank you! Camden Market it is!

Rather odd situation with the Biltmore London. I got the e-mail from hiltondotcom that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite at 10am yesterday morning. At 5:00pm l received an e-mail from the hotel saying that there weren't any Junior Suites in inventory and we would remain in our twin bed room. Of course I checked the website and there was at least 1 Junior Suite showing for our stay. So I e-mailed the hotel back and the Duty Manager (who sent the 5pm e-mail) said that if I wanted a Junior Suite it would be an additional 200 British pounds / night. I immediately called the diamond desk and they said that they would deal with the hotel and not to worry. Within 30 mins I had another e-mail from the Duty Manager who said that I must have misunderstood his e-mail and they were happy to put me in a Junior Suite but thought I'd be happier in a twin bed room with my daughter (which is not what he said at all). I played along and thanked him for clarifying. But if this had happened when there was point availability at the Conrad I would've switched because the interaction left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.
Way to go on reaching out to the Diamond desk and getting it resolved. And it's great that you got it resolved in advance, because who wants to deal with that in person upon arrival? You are going to have such a great trip- super excited for you.

Our offer is in, 10% over asking and our agent thinks it's doubtful. Since you have to put your loan type in the offer I wonder if we'll get moved down just because ours is not a common loan type. We were told that waived inspection is almost the price of doing business right now.
I knew my older son would take moving harder than my younger one, but I didn't expect tears because the house we offered on is 10 miles away and in the next town over.

Our offer is in, 10% over asking and our agent thinks it's doubtful. Since you have to put your loan type in the offer I wonder if we'll get moved down just because ours is not a common loan type. We were told that waived inspection is almost the price of doing business right now.
I knew my older son would take moving harder than my younger one, but I didn't expect tears because the house we offered on is 10 miles away and in the next town over.
:tinker:You get it…..not sure what type of loan you are getting….but from what my daughters agent said they seem to discourage any that require any extra steps that may delay closing

When I sold my rental house last year I had one offer that had a loan that would've had a stricter inspection to it. Might've been fha, I really can't remember. It was one of the 1st offers I got. We listed on a wed or thurs and my realtor was ready for me to pick from what I had on Fri but a couple people had scheduled showings for sat and I wanted to give them their time. We set a sat evening deadline for offers and I took one of those. It was more $. Others had more earnest money and while the one with the inspection had me a little concerned, I was concerened about any inslection, house was built in 1928. Had it been the best offer I'd have taken it.

Personally I wouldn't buy a house without an inspection and I get the reason for it, but if I was selling it's not what would make the offer more enticing. Money and closing time frame would be more important bit I also realize I'm probably way different than most.

I did get one letter and it turned me off cause it read like a form letter they used on all offers. That was annoying cause I was excited when she told me one sent a letter.

Good luck!

:tinker:You get it…..not sure what type of loan you are getting….but from what my daughters agent said they seem to discourage any that require any extra steps that may delay closing
I'm getting a HUD Section 184 loan. It's a somewhat to very rare loan type outside of Indian Reservations. But 2.25% down, no PMI and credit score is irrelevant. There are only a couple hundred banks in the country that offer it. When my credit got pulled for the mortgage, I got a call from PenFed offering me a mortgage, they had no idea what it was and said they couldn't come close to my terms.

Ok. I'm going to order a 6-pack. Anthem reimburses 8/month and whatever Anthem doesn't cover I can cover with my HSA. This seems way better than testing at Heathrow.

I think testing before going to the airport a much better option. I have 2 friends who recently tested positive in Europe before their flights home. One had to stay in Italy an extra 5 days, and the other is still stuck in Portugal. It would be much worse to pack up and leave the hotel, get to the airport, and then have to turn around and find a place to stay for a week. One was at a PHyatt and Hyatt offered them the room on points or for 50% of the cash rate. The other has trip insurance that she says is covering the extra nights she needs there.

Funny you mentioned this. We just sold our cabin under a similar timeline. I was really surprised and kept asking the agent whether we shouldn't have it on at least a week, LOL. She was insistent that buyers get antsy if it's on too long in markets like this. It went onto the MLS on Thursday during a big late-season snowstorm (2+ feet). After the snow was shoveled, LOL, there were a couple showings on Friday. Opens houses on Saturday and Sunday and offers by 5 pm Monday. We actually had our fist offer on Friday. Ended up with 7 offers and 25% over list all cash. This market is wild, but we're very happy. Crossing fingers for a smooth closing...

It's just wild. Really crazy over here. I think we're stupid for not trying to sell right now but it's nice to have a home, too. Homes around us are going for all cash, way above asking, on the first weekend they are open.

Well my sister was very understanding about me not coming for her belated bday party this upcoming weekend. She laughed and said she honestly has no clue who's coming and it hasn't even been on her radar, LOL. My BF was finally able to trade for a trip though that gave him Saturday off (her party). In trading trips though, he has 2 trips this week w/ good overnights (which hasn't been happening lately). So I think I'm going to join him for the MYR overnight, LOL. THe next night he has a BNA overnight and we have wanted to do BNA for awhile. I would have to do 2 legs with him to get to BNA, which isn't a huge deal. But getting home would be a nightmare. So I looked into SW and using points. He said don't waste my points for such a quick trip. We'll plan something later on.

FYI, my giftcards.com points which I'd opened a case for were pending and then finally posted a few days ago.

DH had an appt today with Wells Fargo business banker for $1500 bonus. Between the drive and being there, it was about 90 minutes- except there is no business banker there on Saturdays, so he'll need to reschedule. So, so typical of WF.
I'm still waiting for ANYTHING on this! I hate that it even shows I clicked through and made $750 purchase when you look up websites I've been to. GRRRRR!

I think testing before going to the airport a much better option. I have 2 friends who recently tested positive in Europe before their flights home. One had to stay in Italy an extra 5 days, and the other is still stuck in Portugal. It would be much worse to pack up and leave the hotel, get to the airport, and then have to turn around and find a place to stay for a week. One was at a PHyatt and Hyatt offered them the room on points or for 50% of the cash rate. The other has trip insurance that she says is covering the extra nights she needs there.

It's just wild. Really crazy over here. I think we're stupid for not trying to sell right now but it's nice to have a home, too. Homes around us are going for all cash, way above asking, on the first weekend they are open.
I have good trip insurance. But the hotel we are staying at in London (on Bonvoy points) is outrageously expensive. So I'm not sure we'd be able to stay but I definitely would rather not be at the airport if we are going to test positive. I really wish the CDC would drop this testing requirement.

I have good trip insurance. But the hotel we are staying at in London (on Bonvoy points) is outrageously expensive. So I'm not sure we'd be able to stay but I definitely would rather not be at the airport if we are going to test positive. I really wish the CDC would drop this testing requirement.

Agreed. It's making me really too stressed to travel abroad. My one friend is taking it in stride and using the time to walk around a beach town in Portugal. The one who was stuck in Milan was forced to stay in the hotel room (what a nightmare).

Agreed. It's making me really too stressed to travel abroad. My one friend is taking it in stride and using the time to walk around a beach town in Portugal. The one who was stuck in Milan was forced to stay in the hotel room (what a nightmare).
I love my daughter to pieces but if we are stuck in a hotel room together for a week we may not both make it home alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter