I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ya'll, I was thrown for a loop when I went in for a typical cosmetic visit and mentioned a small area under my eye. Seems it is most likely basal cell carcinoma- just waiting on pathology results to confirm. The derm was as certain as you can be without pathology. I'm very pragmatic and prefer that kind of straightforward approach- I really don't like to be in limbo. So I am happy to operate under the assumption it is BCC and begin to formulate a plan. Seems like Mohs will most likely be the treatment, coordinated with plastic surgery, though those details are less certain.

The reason I mention it here is because I am hoping for advice from anyone who's been dealt with something similar. We are supposed to travel to Italy in about 60 days and while I've had all of our accomodations booked for the last year, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on flights. I know, that's super unusual, especially for me. The next 30 days flights were predicted to drop, so I was waiting. But, with the uncertainty of needing a procedure and then the sun and heat in Tuscany and Rome, I'm just not sure what to do if flight prices suddenly get to where I want them. Any thoughts?

P.S. It's really fine, I'm fine, it's super common and it's just one of those things. I am incredibly grateful for my life, including challenges like this.
I have had Moh's, no plastic surgery (though in retrospect I should've because the scar is quite large, but it's on my shoulder so doesn't bother me). I had the surgery on a Tuesday and on Friday we were on a plane from Boca to Toronto. I was advised against travel, but it was fine. I think 60 days pre-trip would be fine, just wear a large hat to protect your face from the sun; the derm may sell special sunscreen that might be worth considering for protection from SPF rays on your face.

@Calfan @CaliforniaGirl09 and anyone else with London knowledge: dd and I leave for London on Monday; I was thinking of going to Portobello Road Market next Saturday (we've been before and enjoyed it), but I thought Camden Market might be more interesting for dd. Any preference between the two?

I got an e-mail from the Biltmore LXR (booked with HH points) this morning that we have been upgraded from base room to a Junior Suite! I am excited as the room looks really nice!

If I have a 4:40 PM flight home from Heathrow, what time should I schedule my Antigen test for at Heathrow?

If I have a 4:40 PM flight home from Heathrow, what time should I schedule my Antigen test for at Heathrow?
We took the proctored at home tests so we could do them wherever we were. No time pressure, anytime the day before.
A friend was stuck in Ireland at Christmas because their test didn't come back in time.

We took the proctored at home tests so we could do them wherever we were. No time pressure, anytime the day before.
A friend was stuck in Ireland at Christmas because their test didn't come back in time.
I'm so confused (story of my life!). Expresstest says: Only in person tests are valid for travel to the US. So doesn't that mean home tests won't work? This trip better be awesome because figuring everything out is like a second job right now.

I have a question on Chase offers. I know Amex you can only use the card you saved it on, and not someone elses card on the same account. What about with Chase? I have an Office Depot 10% on dh's Disney card, but it's a joint card, we each have one, same account number etc. I do not have the offer under my login. Anyone know if I use my card, will it work?
With Chase, AU cards can use the same offers added to the main card, unlike AmEx. I believe there was a report here or the GC thread of someone with a joint account having the same experience. But might want to try a search to confirm.
Did they run your credit report? I have mine frozen, i should probably unfreeze mine.
It's a soft pull. They soft pull for the checking account and based on that decide on whether to offer a pre-approved CC. If the banker says it's pre-approved with a specific credit limit, no hard pull happens.

Any recommendations for hotel near the Miami cruise port? Preferably Marriott as I am floating in FNC that expire in June.

They will still take your prints there but how many times you're prints have been run by the FBI will make a difference in how quickly they come back. I've been fingerprinted for multiple jobs and applications over the years and have annual criminal background checks done annually for my primary job, side hustle and firearm carry permits. My KTN came back three days after my application, my wife who had never been fingerprinted in her life took 10 days.

In other news, the wife and I are putting in our first offer on a house today. Almost no chance we get it because we aren't willing to bid 20+% over asking but it's the next step in the process. I also got an 8% raise at my primary job and a 33% raise on my side hustle due to inflation.
Not sure where you are but sending lots of :tink: on the house hunting…my daughter and her husband were looking since November for a larger house here on LI…they though the prices were crazy last year but have only gone higher…they just had an offer accepted for 10% over asking….but on the flip side their house sold in a day for 20% over asking…17 offers…it’s nuts

I'm so confused (story of my life!). Expresstest says: Only in person tests are valid for travel to the US. So doesn't that mean home tests won't work? This trip better be awesome because figuring everything out is like a second job right now.
Direct from the CDC, a self-test like the eMed Abbott tests are acceptable if they are proctored. For entry to the US, the test should be taken the day before; there is no hour requirement, just anytime the day before. Here is info direct from the CDC website, and you can go to the section Test and Documentation Requirements---- "Does a self test meet the conditions of the Order":

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...national-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081

Direct from the CDC, a self-test like the eMed Abbott tests are acceptable if they are proctored. For entry to the US, the test should be taken the day before; there is no hour requirement, just anytime the day before. Here is info direct from the CDC website, and you can go to the section Test and Documentation Requirements---- "Does a self test meet the conditions of the Order":

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...national-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081
Per recs on this thread we got these:
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack
There was actually a link to them on AA website where they want you to review travel documents. We didn't need all of them but took them with anyway just in case there were any issues. Only issue was boxes being a little crushed and one end popped open on some. The proctor watches you open the box, and take the test then comes back in 15 minutes to check results. They did comment about the box being opened but when I said it was crushed they let it slide. We only used 3 tests but ended up using the other 3 at home because DH had covid when we tested on arrival at home.

In other news, the wife and I are putting in our first offer on a house today. Almost no chance we get it because we aren't willing to bid 20+% over asking but it's the next step in the process. I also got an 8% raise at my primary job and a 33% raise on my side hustle due to inflation.
That’s awesome news!! And sure, you may not score the house yet but you’re getting the bidding practice in 😉

Haven't had an issue moving URs until now. I know it's been discussed, but is there a new way to do it? I remember reading something here but can't find it now.

I love it when US Bank runs a bank bonus because for anyone in their footprint it’s a great way to get a foot in the door for an Altitude Reserve! DoC has the bank bonus details here.

I think the AR is an underrated premium card. 3% on everything mobile payment! (Imho don’t buy Gift Cards, some people get by with it others get shutdown and there is NO reconsideration with US bank.) The main barrier to entry for an AR is being a US Bank client, and then 5/24ish.

Full disclosure it’s been a few years since my approval 😂…. but fwiw… I got my AR about 6 months after my bank account. I was 6/24 which is on the high end but I used the pre-approval tool when applying- it doesn’t guarantee approval but when I called to check on it a couple days after applying the banker mentioned he saw I was pre-approved and finalized the approval on the phone- so use that tool if offered!).

They’ve been fairly generous with retention bonuses but it varies person to person and is entirely decided by a computer. I went 3 years in a row with 10k pt retention offers until this year when I decided I actually want the card and paid the AF without a bribe 😝

Last edited:
@Calfan @CaliforniaGirl09 and anyone else with London knowledge: dd and I leave for London on Monday; I was thinking of going to Portobello Road Market next Saturday (we've been before and enjoyed it), but I thought Camden Market might be more interesting for dd. Any preference between the two?

I got an e-mail from the Biltmore LXR (booked with HH points) this morning that we have been upgraded from base room to a Junior Suite! I am excited as the room looks really nice!
I’m going to defer to @CaliforniaGirl09 on that one because she spends far more time in London, whereas I’m mostly in Edinburgh. Awesome on the suite upgrade!

Congrats on the upgrade--love those. We have actually been in London for the past week+. I'm heading up to Scotland on the train later today to meet @Calfan :) Great timing on the markets question since we just went yesterday! My favorite of the markets is Borough Market but that is primarily food. It's seriously an explosion for the eyes and nose. Go around lunch time and you'll have a hard time choosing (paella always has a huge line, but I love the pizza from Bread Ahead). I'm not sure I've been to Portobello, but Camden is fun as it's on the canal and has lots of different things that might be more interesting for your daughter? We also really like Spittalfields. It's more out of the way, but one of our favorite eats is nearby. I highly recommend Tibet Kitchen if you like dumplings. Just an FYI that I would go in and out of Liverpool street station for both. It's slightly more of a walk, but it's through a better part of town. There's also Covent Gardens. I love this city! (And P.S. since this is a DISboards, I should mention that the Wallace Collection has a small Disney exhibition right now--we went a couple days ago and really enjoyed it. It's quick--under 45 minutes; also British Museum has a great Stonehenge exhibit right now). Have a blast!

Per recs on this thread we got these:
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack
There was actually a link to them on AA website where they want you to review travel documents. We didn't need all of them but took them with anyway just in case there were any issues. Only issue was boxes being a little crushed and one end popped open on some. The proctor watches you open the box, and take the test then comes back in 15 minutes to check results. They did comment about the box being opened but when I said it was crushed they let it slide. We only used 3 tests but ended up using the other 3 at home because DH had covid when we tested on arrival at home.
Ok, so stupid question but is there a place at Heathrow where there are proctors? And do you pay for that service?

And thank goodness you got him home. My biggest nightmare (besides not getting on the cruise) is not being able to fly home.

ETA: I see that they are proctored remotely. So I guess we can do it at the hotel over wifi. And then hopefully I can get partial reimbursement for my test through Anthem. Unfortunately they only have six packs.

Last edited:
Ok, so stupid question but is there a place at Heathrow where there are proctors? And do you pay for that service?

And thank goodness you got him home. My biggest nightmare (besides not getting on the cruise) is not being able to fly home.

ETA: I see that they are proctored remotely. So I guess we can do it at the hotel over wifi. And then hopefully I can get partial reimbursement for my test through Anthem. Unfortunately they only have six packs.
We have been using the eMed proctored for our travel also. Super easy to use and convenient. I think the proctors are in India or something. One comes on to watch the test, you wait 15 minutes and then they come back to see the results. And then quickly email you the results. We’ll be using them since we need to test pre-cruise out of Miami. My HSA reimburses me.

We have been using the eMed proctored for our travel also. Super easy to use and convenient. I think the proctors are in India or something. One comes on to watch the test, you wait 15 minutes and then they come back to see the results. And then quickly email you the results. We’ll be using them since we need to test pre-cruise out of Miami. My HSA reimburses me.
Ok. I'm going to order a 6-pack. Anthem reimburses 8/month and whatever Anthem doesn't cover I can cover with my HSA. This seems way better than testing at Heathrow.

There are other kits available but I think it was @CaliforniaGirl09 who recommended eMed
My worst fear was getting stuck and unable to fly home. I kept telling myself it would be inconvenient but not the worst thing in the world. We all took PCR tests once home and DH was positive. Thankfully DS and I never were positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter