I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted last week that I had a fraud alert on my Amex. I had two $500 portable DVD players purchased on my acct and shipped to me. As soon as I got the alert I said no, I didn’t purchase them. I was able to cancel one order on Walmart.com but the other slipped through and was shipped.
I wondered why anyone would ship it to me unless they were able to porch snatch it. Well, I figured it out. I received my package last night. For $500 I received a yellow mailing envelope with a folded up piece of white paper. So now it looks like the item was shipped and delivered to my address.
Thankfully Amex did a fraud case and the next day I got the email that the case was closed and they refunded my money.
Hopefully they figured out who did it. (I changed all my passwords and got a new Amex.)

I think someone on this board was scheduled to be in Yellowstone this week or be leaving this week… hope you are safe or able to travel still! The flooding does not look good 😥

We are scheduled to be there on Friday (3 days from now). Our original plan was to arrive at 11am on Friday in BZN and head directly to our accommodations at Roosevelt Lodge Cabins in the Northern Loop. That is not going to happen obviously. As soon as I saw the reports of issues, I booked The Element in Bozeman for night 1 (on Bonvoy points). Later when it was obvious that Roosevelt was not going to happen at all, I booked 2 nights at Canyon Lodge in the Park since (at that time) the reports were the Southern Loop was in good shape. A bit later they said the park would be closed until at least Thursday and they were evacuating ALL guests in the entire park.

We spent about an hour last night going thru all sorts of permutations on what to do. We highly doubt we'll have our 2 nights at Canyon (Sat, Sun) and 1 night at Lake Cabin (Mon), so the question is if we'll just switch the entire trip to the Tetons where we already had our last 3 nights (Signal Mtn). There are rooms/cabins available but different room types for the nights, so that would probably mean moving each night (until our 3 night block).

So, who knows at this point. I did check our airfare and I think we can cancel and hold the credit until end of 2023. We don't know what we're going to do. The Teton lodging is the most expensive of the whole trip, so adding 3 more nights there isn't going to be cheap AND we'd have to room hop for half the trip (if we can even get rooms). So it adds up to an more expensive vacation with a very different experience than expected (and that doesn't even take into consideration of increased traffic on the roads that are open between Bozeman and Tetons or increased people everywhere because everyone fled to the Tetons and are scrambling like us).

Thanks for asking/checking!

We are scheduled to be there on Friday (3 days from now). Our original plan was to arrive at 11am on Friday in BZN and head directly to our accommodations at Roosevelt Lodge Cabins in the Northern Loop. That is not going to happen obviously. As soon as I saw the reports of issues, I booked The Element in Bozeman for night 1 (on Bonvoy points). Later when it was obvious that Roosevelt was not going to happen at all, I booked 2 nights at Canyon Lodge in the Park since (at that time) the reports were the Southern Loop was in good shape. A bit later they said the park would be closed until at least Thursday and they were evacuating ALL guests in the entire park.

We spent about an hour last night going thru all sorts of permutations on what to do. We highly doubt we'll have our 2 nights at Canyon (Sat, Sun) and 1 night at Lake Cabin (Mon), so the question is if we'll just switch the entire trip to the Tetons where we already had our last 3 nights (Signal Mtn). There are rooms/cabins available but different room types for the nights, so that would probably mean moving each night (until our 3 night block).

So, who knows at this point. I did check our airfare and I think we can cancel and hold the credit until end of 2023. We don't know what we're going to do. The Teton lodging is the most expensive of the whole trip, so adding 3 more nights there isn't going to be cheap AND we'd have to room hop for half the trip (if we can even get rooms). So it adds up to an more expensive vacation with a very different experience than expected (and that doesn't even take into consideration of increased traffic on the roads that are open between Bozeman and Tetons or increased people everywhere because everyone fled to the Tetons and are scrambling like us).

Thanks for asking/checking!
I hope you guys can come up with something you're happy with. I know it's going to be a completely different trip if you guys still go than expected. Glad you guys aren't there already and stranded or worse, though!

We are even concerned about our trip in August. With the extent of the damage, it's not a quick easy fix, and people online are speculating parts of the park will be closed the rest of the season. DH thinks we won't be able to go in August. We had two nights in Gardiner booked when we first arrive, which is almost definitely out of the question. (This trip would have likely been our one and only trip to YNP. If significant parts of the park are closed, we won't go this year, since we were trying to see most of the sites.)

With our trip about 10 weeks away, I don't know if I should try to start planning something else as a backup? We have also wanted to go to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, and Arches, so we could try for some iteration of those parks. For those that have been to Utah parks, are they as crowded as Yellowstone? Is it feasible do you think to pull together a trip in 2 months to some of Utah's national parks? What is the weather like in late August? I know we're gonna pay insane out the wazoo prices with this short notice. But we need to go somewhere, since we already took the PTO. This is all just my planner brain trying to think of a backup if Yellowstone can't happen :(

Will you remind me the name of the award flight search tool you use? I’m looking to book Iceland next summer. It looks like Delta have some decent flight options from PHX, but I’m considering signing up for an award finder site in case I’m missing other options.
For cheap flight alerts, I use Scott’s cheap flights. You have to be open to a variety of dates, and you select airports you are willing to fly out of. They send alerts straight to your email.

For finding award space for a SPECIFIC destination, which sounds like you are, I like point.me. It’s super user friendly and you can select the programs you have currency in (Amex MRs, Chase URs, etc) and you can filter only those transfer partners, if you prefer.

I do also really like seatspy, but it has very specific uses, like nonstop flights on AirFrance, KLM, British airways, etc. But they have a great award calendar if you are flying nonstop on a few specific airlines.

I hope you guys can come up with something you're happy with. I know it's going to be a completely different trip if you guys still go than expected. Glad you guys aren't there already and stranded or worse, though!

We are even concerned about our trip in August. With the extent of the damage, it's not a quick easy fix, and people online are speculating parts of the park will be closed the rest of the season. DH thinks we won't be able to go in August. We had two nights in Gardiner booked when we first arrive, which is almost definitely out of the question. (This trip would have likely been our one and only trip to YNP. If significant parts of the park are closed, we won't go this year, since we were trying to see most of the sites.)

With our trip about 10 weeks away, I don't know if I should try to start planning something else as a backup? We have also wanted to go to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, and Arches, so we could try for some iteration of those parks. For those that have been to Utah parks, are they as crowded as Yellowstone? Is it feasible do you think to pull together a trip in 2 months to some of Utah's national parks? What is the weather like in late August? I know we're gonna pay insane out the wazoo prices with this short notice. But we need to go somewhere, since we already took the PTO. This is all just my planner brain trying to think of a backup if Yellowstone can't happen :(

With your trip being August, it can't hurt to start looking and maybe reserving since you can cancel with that much time. Though I would be concerned about S Utah in August due to heat, but I'm not really sure.

And yes, we feel terribly about people in Yellowstone mid-trip, especially with kids.

I definitely agree to postpone the YNP trip if you expect you won't return. The northern part of the park is my favorite so I'd hate for anyone to miss it. Plus, I imagine how packed it'll be with half the park unavailable for visitors.

Back from another quick weekend in Long Beach. I managed to pull off the surprise of bringing cupcakes for my BF and the crew. Which let me tell you was hard considering I travel to the airport w/ my BF, LOL. When we got on the shuttle the lead FA from last weekend's trip was there and laughed. After my BF boarded I managed to sneak over and let him know it was his birthday and I had cupcakes. The big front seat was open, so the FA moved me up. I don't think the guy in the aisle liked it, as the FO, and all the crew kept coming over to chat with me all flight, LOL. And and the best part, the FO demanded my BF take flight deck photos w/ me before the flight, so I now have those :love: :love: :love: I have been begging him to do them every flight, LOL.

We didn't do much in Long Beach, but I think my BF was happy I tagged along. I will say I am OVER trying to get on the Sunday night red eye home! There were 29 open seats on Friday, and yet again before the flight it was -2. When I checked in the gate agent told me 1 standby MIGHT get on. I was technically below someone else listed (normally I get my BFs priority when we fly together, but since he was working the flight, I don't). The FO (who is my new bestie) actually came off the flight to make sure I would get on, LOL. I was like, well they can't take off w/o you, LOL. The gate agents in LA were HARD CORE! They were charging everyone and anyone for carry-on bags (we're talking they were 1" larger than the sizer). And they spent 10 min arguing w/ customers about it. The FO was like, OMG just let them on and get this girl a ticket :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I finally got a ticket. I was in the back (peasant seating as I call it). When I got on the lead FA was shocked I made it on. The FO asked him to boot someone from the big front seat so we could all chat again, LOL. All the overhead space was claimed so I walked back up to the flight deck and dropped my bag there and then joked I wanted my bottle of wine from my BFs bag to chug, LOL. I'm sure everyone on the flight was like who is this woman we waited FOREVER for? HA!

It's not my fault the gate agent was arguing over carry ons. Even my BF was texting me to tell them to close out the dang flight and give me my seat so he could push the gate on time. It's even more awesome that gate agents aren't even Spirit employees. So people hate on Spirit but a lot of the times, it's not even Spirit employees being rude/not helpful. Anyways, I'm now 1 day from summer!!! It'll be interesting to see what trips the BF gets next month that I can tag along on :)

In CC news, I finally hit the spend on the IHG Biz (thank you staples). Now I think I'm going to add my DS as an AU on my Surpass (I got an offer for that) and think about my next card. I'm back under 5/24. So I either need to grab a biz card, or I need to think seriously about the MDD. I'm thinking if we start DS's braces then I should try for a MDD. I can charge the full amount upfront and that would easily take care of one of the spends! And I have taxes in Sept for the rest. I also need to look at booking our Ireland tickets. I think I've figured out what dates we are going finally.

Another CSR question about using up that TC.... ANyone ever booked a hotel thru UT,since they have free cancellation? I would *like* to use the hotel I book, but if I couldn't.....would that use up the TC no matter what(if I cancel or not?) advice pleeeese

I have also bought Bose noise cancelling ear buds and noise cancelling headphones. I miss the TVs too.

I bought the Bose Sleepbuds with my last Dell credit - it was almost a 'don't know what else to buy' type purchase, but I absolutely love them. Just hope they last a while as the reviews are mixed on durability, but I've had them for 3 months without problem so far.

We were in Zion, Bryce and Yellowstone mid July last year. it was HOT. like 97 on July 4 at Zion. We made National Park reservations a year out, but local campgrounds more like 4 - 6 months. its seems you are not camping though. Hiking in the mornings and evenings was fine, not difficult to get on Zion Shuttle before 9 am. Took local advice and didn't try Bryce in the early AM because of traffic, and had no issues with driving all the way through, various lookouts and short hikes, and then the Queens/Navajo loop before sunset. There is no grocery store anywhere near Bryce Canyon. and not very good restaurant options. Springdale UT has everything you would need.

Highly recommend Zion Adventure Company! We hired a guide for the Narrows hike, comes with water boots and a hiking stick, and then added e-bikes because of changing Covid rules about shuttles. The wonderful Miles met us in town, got us outfitted, we rode through the park instead of waiting and cramming on the shuttle, and hiked the Narrows. definitely a bucket list experience, made so easy by the Zion Adventure Co.

Consider checking out Dark Ranger Telescope Tours in Bryce. small groups stargazing with great "guides" - in one of the last light pollution free areas of the US.

I posted last week that I had a fraud alert on my Amex. I had two $500 portable DVD players purchased on my acct and shipped to me. As soon as I got the alert I said no, I didn’t purchase them. I was able to cancel one order on Walmart.com but the other slipped through and was shipped.
I wondered why anyone would ship it to me unless they were able to porch snatch it. Well, I figured it out. I received my package last night. For $500 I received a yellow mailing envelope with a folded up piece of white paper. So now it looks like the item was shipped and delivered to my address.
Thankfully Amex did a fraud case and the next day I got the email that the case was closed and they refunded my money.
Hopefully they figured out who did it. (I changed all my passwords and got a new Amex.)
So you think it was done at Walmart? Since nothing was actually shipped?

i wondered that too - who would have mailed just the envelope for your "order".

I went through a huge headache recently when someone got my information and started applying for cards. They applied for 7 cards and were approved for 2 of them. We had recently moved (so changed addresses) and that was part of the reason (luckily) they were denied for some of them. I was alerted to it because I received an email from American Express telling me my new card was on the way and I hadn't applied for a new card.

I still don't really understand what they were going to do with the cards since they were being sent to my house though.

In addition to applying for the cards, they also used my Walgreens cash (in their local store), so I had to change the code I key in to be a random 5 digit number instead of my zip code and they also tried ordering things through Target.com using my credit card on file, so they were obviously able to get into my target account somehow.

As far as I know, they didn't get any $$ from everything they did (except for a few things from Walgreens), but it sure caused me a lot of time and aggravation!

I have now put a freeze on all of my accounts, so hopefully this won't happen again.

i wondered that too - who would have mailed just the envelope for your "order".

I went through a huge headache recently when someone got my information and started applying for cards. They applied for 7 cards and were approved for 2 of them. We had recently moved (so changed addresses) and that was part of the reason (luckily) they were denied for some of them. I was alerted to it because I received an email from American Express telling me my new card was on the way and I hadn't applied for a new card.

I still don't really understand what they were going to do with the cards since they were being sent to my house though.

In addition to applying for the cards, they also used my Walgreens cash (in their local store), so I had to change the code I key in to be a random 5 digit number instead of my zip code and they also tried ordering things through Target.com using my credit card on file, so they were obviously able to get into my target account somehow.

As far as I know, they didn't get any $$ from everything they did (except for a few things from Walgreens), but it sure caused me a lot of time and aggravation!

I have now put a freeze on all of my accounts, so hopefully this won't happen again.
I'm really interested because someone recently got some of my information. I don't know what or how. I was alerted because they subscription bombed my email. I went through over 5k emails and only found one order (from build.com) which I cancelled and they (hopefully) flagged my account. It was paid for with a CC in my name but a different address. It was not one of my cards because (of course) I have a spreadsheet. 🤣 I froze the 3 credit agencies but there's nothing on my reports that isn't mine. I have no idea what they stole or how they used it.

Trying to modify a Hilton res that went down in points and it will only let me do it as points and cash because I don't have enough points. So it must actually book and then cancel it. I may try calling later. I know I could cancel and rebook it's just the waiting for the points to redeposit that makes me anxious but it's 12k total points.

I know a good many folks here did the WF Biz checking $1500 bonus - just FYI they paid the bonus on day 61! That was quicker than I expected. I kept 5k in there the whole time just to make it easy.

I hope it starts rolling in for everyone else soon!

Thanks for this. I still have a few weeks to go before day 60. Will be watching for it. Are you going to close the account or is there fees to do that?

With the Cap One Venture X Travel Credit. Does anyone know if it works to book a refundable SW flight and then cancel?

It all happened through Walmart.com. I have my Amex platinum stored in there since it has the free walmart plus. Someone used my acct to order the two items for $500. It seems like the “company“ that shipped them is a fake since the envelope had the address that the “company” shipped from if that makes sense.

I see...so the company ships through Walmart.com and they (or someone who works there) just made a fake order using your account.

I'm thinking of deleting all my credit cards from my Amazon account for that very reason. It's scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter