• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all:) . I'm reading again that Chase has changed things up when it comes to Disney and I got to dreamin'. Wouldn't it be cool if they finally recognized how loyal Disney lovers are and how dedicated we are to earning UR that get us there and the reason they are taking it all away from the UR portal is because they are going to come out with a fabulous new Disney Premium card that is as good as the Hilton Aspire in benefits ($250 annual credit toward a Disney resort anyone and $250 annual airline credit) with 7 times earning on Disney dining??

A dream is a wish your heart makes.... when you're fast asleep.... :lovestruc . Happy fall everyone!

Here's the morning aggravation for me so far - DH's AAdantage miles from Barclays hasn't posted yet. I have about 6 days for the miles to show up - I need to book the return from Barcelona. :scared:

I've never churned quite this tight before. Thankful I have Skypesos and MR points to get me back if necessary. Maybe I should just stay in Spain!

I went around town and grabbed all the RMN deals last night - except for Staples which I need to do today. DH was amused and a little fascinated. I think we'll put the app on his phone today too.

Just saw a 50k offer for the Barclay Jet Blue business card.

Sounds like a decent offer. But wondering will it go against me at my 4/24? Also how strict are they with a "business"? Thanks

Honestly was thinking about the AMEX PRG but at least with this JB card I would hope to still get a Sapphire down the road.

Here's the morning aggravation for me so far - DH's AAdantage miles from Barclays hasn't posted yet. I have about 6 days for the miles to show up - I need to book the return from Barcelona. :scared:

I've never churned quite this tight before. Thankful I have Skypesos and MR points to get me back if necessary. Maybe I should just stay in Spain!

I went around town and grabbed all the RMN deals last night - except for Staples which I need to do today. DH was amused and a little fascinated. I think we'll put the app on his phone today too.

Has your statement closed for Barclays? My miles posted the day my statement closed.

Despite the names, they all earn UR points. So when they say 5% cash back at Office Supply stores for the Ink Cash (a.k.a CIC), you'd get 5x UR points which can be redeemed for cash at the 1 cpp rate. My $100 toner cartridge from Office Depot earned me 500 UR. Since it's a Cash Back card it doesn't have any enhanced redemption values or options, all redemption options are at the 1 cpp value. You can redeem for cash deposit, a statement credit, turn it into GC's, or buy travel through the portal all at 1cpp - so my 500 UR is worth $5 regardless of redemption method. The Ink Unlimited (CIU) earns at 1.5x UR on everything, and the Ink Preferred (CIP) earns 3x UR on travel, shipping, internet, etc. as you mentioned.

The CIP is a premium card and gives an additional benefit - access to transfer your UR to travel partners and redeem the UR for an enhanced value on travel purchases if done through Chase. So if my internet bill is $100, I earn 300 UR on it. That 300 UR is worth $3 if I cash it out, take a statement credit, or turn it into GC's. But if I redeem it through the CIP UR portal, that 300 UR is worth $3.75 (1.25 x 300).

An additional feature Chase has is transferring, or combining, points within their UR cards. So you can earn 5x UR on purchases with your CIC, then transfer that UR to the CIP to get the enhanced redemptions getting a better value for the same purchase. For example, I take my 500 UR from my toner purchase, transfer it to my CIP with my 300 UR from internet purchase for a combined total of 800 UR. Now I can redeem that for travel through the CIP portal and get $10 of value. Hopefully that helps and didn't confuse more :)

(you can also do this between personal and business cards, I just used the biz cards as an example. I transferred my CIC points to my CSR to get a 1.5 value from them)
Very thorough and helpful explanation. Thank you

Found an excellent use for my 15,000 Wyndham points- Christmas in NYC at the Tryp hotel- Times Square South. Cash rates are $463 per night for our dates and we secured the last premium room with 2 queen beds. You can get excellent value sometimes with Wyndham Rewards. Amtrak points will get us to NYC from South Jersey.

Stayed at the Tryp a few years ago. Super nice hotel. The area itself is not terribly interesting given it's a block away from Penn Station, but some of the best subway access is literally half a block away from the hotel's front door. It's nice to see you can now use Wyndham points at Tryp as well, for the longest time you couldn't.

I need to figure this out but I just don't understand it. I know I need to 'season' my account first. Why does this seem so overwhelming to me!?!

I dunno, I've seen lots of people use Venmo for small amounts for a while, then get shut down for bigger amounts. I'd almost just send $2,xxx.xx as your first payment with a note about "rent" or "mortgage" so Venmo will think it's normal.

Just saw a 50k offer for the Barclay Jet Blue business card.

Sounds like a decent offer. But wondering will it go against me at my 4/24? Also how strict are they with a "business"? Thanks

Honestly was thinking about the AMEX PRG but at least with this JB card I would hope to still get a Sapphire down the road.

The JetBlue biz is a business card so it won't appear on your personal credit and thus will not count against 5/24. Barclays can be really tough. Hopefully you'll be auto-approved. If it goes pending, they might as you for some documents. You can always decide if it's worth the trouble if it comes to that.

Despite the names, they all earn UR points. So when they say 5% cash back at Office Supply stores for the Ink Cash (a.k.a CIC), you'd get 5x UR points which can be redeemed for cash at the 1 cpp rate. My $100 toner cartridge from Office Depot earned me 500 UR. Since it's a Cash Back card it doesn't have any enhanced redemption values or options, all redemption options are at the 1 cpp value. You can redeem for cash deposit, a statement credit, turn it into GC's, or buy travel through the portal all at 1cpp - so my 500 UR is worth $5 regardless of redemption method. The Ink Unlimited (CIU) earns at 1.5x UR on everything, and the Ink Preferred (CIP) earns 3x UR on travel, shipping, internet, etc. as you mentioned.

The CIP is a premium card and gives an additional benefit - access to transfer your UR to travel partners and redeem the UR for an enhanced value on travel purchases if done through Chase. So if my internet bill is $100, I earn 300 UR on it. That 300 UR is worth $3 if I cash it out, take a statement credit, or turn it into GC's. But if I redeem it through the CIP UR portal, that 300 UR is worth $3.75 (1.25 x 300).

An additional feature Chase has is transferring, or combining, points within their UR cards. So you can earn 5x UR on purchases with your CIC, then transfer that UR to the CIP to get the enhanced redemptions getting a better value for the same purchase. For example, I take my 500 UR from my toner purchase, transfer it to my CIP with my 300 UR from internet purchase for a combined total of 800 UR. Now I can redeem that for travel through the CIP portal and get $10 of value. Hopefully that helps and didn't confuse more :)

(you can also do this between personal and business cards, I just used the biz cards as an example. I transferred my CIC points to my CSR to get a 1.5 value from them)

Thank you! This clarifies quite a bit. I currently have 4 chase cards. I think I read there is a limit of 5. Is that correct? One of the cards is a duplicate Disney visa I seldom use, so I could close that out to get the CIP & CIC, but...do the business cards count in the 5 card rule? Also, should I apply for 2 at the same time or wait a few months in between? Both DH and I have credit scores over 800 and I don’t want to hurt our credit. Our next trip in January is already covered, but I was looking at expanding the cards we use to better serve our needs. I currently have a Marriott rewards, Amazon rewards, Disney Visa 2% and Disney Visa 1%. DH has 2. He also has a Disney visa and another chase card that is never used. We have not been super thrilled with the Marriott rewards lately. I’m a Gold member, but have lately found we are staying more at Hilton properties. The recent SPG & Marriott merger was anything but smooth and our last experience reserving with Marriott rewards was a nightmare—to the point where I found myself wondering how it made any sense to have points I was never able to use?

We find, with 4 kids, we spend the most money yearly on groceries, and family trips. Our last 4 trips included driving 15 hours to Myrtle Beach, flying to Disney, driving to Hershey Park and Canada’s Wonderland, multiple trips to Syracuse and Lake Placid. We’re planning on trying Pigeon Forge area after another Disney trip in January. I do have a small business but it isn’t very lucrative. It’s one of those home based businesses that I signed up more for the discount benefit than the commission, but there is certainly business related costs with it. Anyway, if you were me, which route would you go? Annual fees don’t both me IF I am getting at least the cost of the fee out of the card. We have 2 with annual fees now—Disney Visa $49 and Marriott for $85. We live 30 minutes from Canada, so no foreign transaction fee cards are preferable.

The end of another somewhat successful churning week.
The good: received my CSR in the mail. This is how I felt after watching Titantic. That was the hype? Yes it is metal but for some reason I was expecting more :joker:. What, I am not sure, but I spent a few minutes comparing to my other cards and was like ok.

I mentioned this earlier but still excited about it. The final bank bonus on Chase Savings hit this week. That puts me up to 1400 for the year. I'm still hoping for a flyer for Key that is better than the public offer. Also probably going to jump on PNC this quarter.

On the MSR front: Halfway through with DH CIC MSR. Did some damage on my CSR MSR at Dress Barn, Life Stride and Amazon.

I did sign up for those SW RR surveys. The first night semi got through a few but got the "you do not fit the demographic" several times. I wasn't sure I finished any but the next day I got the email for 500 RR. Time will tell if this is too much effort for too little rewards.

The not so good. I jumped on the RMN band wagon. Unfortunately I didn't understand it quite right. Saved my offers for Walgreens, CVS, Staples, Home Depot, Kohls. I stopped at Walgreens - they have Disney GC (at least mine did) but I don't need those. Picked up an Amazon $25 card and a box of Milk Duds for DH (you know filler:rotfl:) on my CF. Kept checking the app, nothing. Was going to hit Staples across the street but since it didn't seem to work at Walgreens and I forgot my Hilton Biz with the Staples offer, I decided to just go home. Good thing because I read more here, found out I need to link/activate the offer. Really!!! What good is the save feature. Ok so now they are linked. I'll try that again and hopefully have better luck today. I still need to set up a paypal account so I can cash out once I get it to work.

Thank you! This clarifies quite a bit. I currently have 4 chase cards. I think I read there is a limit of 5. Is that correct? One of the cards is a duplicate Disney visa I seldom use, so I could close that out to get the CIP & CIC, but...do the business cards count in the 5 card rule? Also, should I apply for 2 at the same time or wait a few months in between? Both DH and I have credit scores over 800 and I don’t want to hurt our credit. Our next trip in January is already covered, but I was looking at expanding the cards we use to better serve our needs. I currently have a Marriott rewards, Amazon rewards, Disney Visa 2% and Disney Visa 1%. DH has 2. He also has a Disney visa and another chase card that is never used. We have not been super thrilled with the Marriott rewards lately. I’m a Gold member, but have lately found we are staying more at Hilton properties. The recent SPG & Marriott merger was anything but smooth and our last experience reserving with Marriott rewards was a nightmare—to the point where I found myself wondering how it made any sense to have points I was never able to use?

We find, with 4 kids, we spend the most money yearly on groceries, and family trips. Our last 4 trips included driving 15 hours to Myrtle Beach, flying to Disney, driving to Hershey Park and Canada’s Wonderland, multiple trips to Syracuse and Lake Placid. We’re planning on trying Pigeon Forge area after another Disney trip in January. I do have a small business but it isn’t very lucrative. It’s one of those home based businesses that I signed up more for the discount benefit than the commission, but there is certainly business related costs with it. Anyway, if you were me, which route would you go? Annual fees don’t both me IF I am getting at least the cost of the fee out of the card. We have 2 with annual fees now—Disney Visa $49 and Marriott for $85. We live 30 minutes from Canada, so no foreign transaction fee cards are preferable.
Just to clarify - you might be confusing the Chase 5/24 rule with a card limit. There is no limit to the number of Chase cards you can hold. I think at one point I had 9 or 10 open. My wife had a similar count too. Currently I have 2x Disney, 2x Freedom, 2x SW, and IHG (so 7 cards). My wife has 2x Freedom, CSR, CSP, CIP, Disney, Marriott, IHG (so 8 cards). Of course it can be a challenge to get more than 5 Chase cards with the 5/24 rule unless you had some open from awhile ago.

Last edited:
Has your statement closed for Barclays? My miles posted the day my statement closed.

I just double checked again and it didn't, which is wild. Mine closed ages ago. I applied 2 days before DH. So you're right. I got my batch of miles when the statement closed.

Something else random that is weird - when I booked my first leg of flights on Thursday, I put the taxes, fees and main cabin extra charge on my Aviator. There's no record of this charge anywhere. I love Barclays but they are so slow, especially when it comes to posting charges and payments.

Both my Walgreens and CVS RMN cash back posted last night! Going to try to hit both again today.
My Home Depot cash posted last night. Gotta hit CVS and HD today. There is major construction here and both HD and CVS are on the opposite side of the road that is down to one lane each direction (from 3) Staples is 4 miles west on same road. I have to endure a bunch of bad traffic for RMN deals.

I just double checked again and it didn't, which is wild. Mine closed ages ago. I applied 2 days before DH. So you're right. I got my batch of miles when the statement closed.

Something else random that is weird - when I booked my first leg of flights on Thursday, I put the taxes, fees and main cabin extra charge on my Aviator. There's no record of this charge anywhere. I love Barclays but they are so slow, especially when it comes to posting charges and payments.
DH got the Aviator Biz. Put a charge on it, totally disappeared. A week later, nothing. So I used it again. AF posted. I paid the charge and AF. First charge never showed up. No idea when closing date is. :confused3

Just to clarify - you might be confusing the Chase 5/24 rule with a card limit. There is no limit to the number of Chase cards you can hold. I think at one point I had 9 or 10 open. My wife had a similar count too. Currently I have 2x Disney, 2x Freedom, 2x SW, and IHG (so 7 cards). My wife has 2x Freedom, CSR, CSP, CIP, Disney, Marriott, IHG (so 8 cards). Of course it can Ben a challenge to get more than 5 Chase cards with the 5/24 rule unless you had some open from awhile ago.

Oh, then yes, I’m definitely confusing the rule. I’ve had the Marriott and Amazon from Chase for more than 10 years, and I’ve had both of the Disney Visa cards for more than 2 years. I don’t think we’ve opened any new cards (except DH’s Disney Visa—maybe) in the past 2 years. But...would I still be limited by Chase? And should I still proceed slowly with opening new cards? You said your wife has all 3–CSR, CIP, and CSP, which do you find benefits you the most of the 3? Or, do you use them together to benefit? I thought I was being savy and saving our family money with the Disney visa only to learn we were traveling to Canada and not using our Marriott or Amazon, which both have zero transaction fees. I bet we spent $60 or more just in foreign transaction fees on that trip. I’m realizing I have a lot to learn.

I did the RMN offers for Walmart, CVS, Staples, Home Depot and Kohl’s on 9/18. This morning I had the Walmart one post. The rest are still pending. Has anyone noticed, is it usually overnight that they post? Or should I continue to check the app multiple times a day? I’m dying to do them again ASAP

Oh, then yes, I’m definitely confusing the rule. I’ve had the Marriott and Amazon from Chase for more than 10 years, and I’ve had both of the Disney Visa cards for more than 2 years. I don’t think we’ve opened any new cards (except DH’s Disney Visa—maybe) in the past 2 years. But...would I still be limited by Chase? And should I still proceed slowly with opening new cards? You said your wife has all 3–CSR, CIP, and CSP, which do you find benefits you the most of the 3? Or, do you use them together to benefit? I thought I was being savy and saving our family money with the Disney visa only to learn we were traveling to Canada and not using our Marriott or Amazon, which both have zero transaction fees. I bet we spent $60 or more just in foreign transaction fees on that trip. I’m realizing I have a lot to learn.
Chase limits everyone to 5 cards in 24 months (5/24). Any personal cards from any issuer (there are a few exceptions) Most people get all the Chase cards they want before moving on. Chase Biz cards don’t count towards the 5/24 but you have to be under 5/24 to get them. Other Biz cards (like Amex Biz) don’t count towards Chase 5/24,so lots of people alternate Chase cards with Amex Biz to stay under 5/24

Your 2% Disney Visa can be downgraded to the no AF version. Other cards are more lucrative.

Hi All - I have a couple of questions I would greatly appreciate some help with. I was instantly approved for the Delta Biz Gold on 9/15. It was on my AMEX site the same night including CL. I want to use it to book a flight so called to get the number and they said can't do that. I thought I read here that it is possible to get the number ahead of time, did I misread...?

DP - last night I was able to hit CVS, Walgreens, HD (all Disney GCs), and Kohls (surprised Kohls did not have Disney GCs boo) all times 2, all pending. I was not able to split the transaction at any of these stores though, had to run everything separate.

Heading to Chicagoland today to shop and have dinner with my BFF :goodvibes (and contemplate strategies for our 2020 trip to Ireland and Switzerland). While there I will be hitting Staples, GNC, Nordstrom Rack and Neiman Marcus :)

I plan on taking advantage to the Neiman Marcus Amex Plat $50 credit also, is there a way to load that offer to my Amex SPG Biz? Thanks

- Would you be limited by Chase?
It depends on what you're trying to do. This is a pretty broad question but from your starting point the answer in most instances is no.

- Should you proceed slowly with opening new cards?
Most people here advocate a slightly slower process. There are people that show up on r/churning (the large public credit group) that just go get 6 cards in their first 2 months. I think at times they may be asking for trouble. Slow & Fast are relative terms though...if "Fast" to you means getting 6 cards in the next 12 months between you and your husband then YES you could (and maybe should ;)) do that. If "Slow" to you means only getting 3 cards between the two of you in the next 12 months you can probably be a little more agressive.

- I can't answer a question about card benefits, lol.
The card that benefits me the most is the one I have in my wallet right now because my strategy is to ALWAYS be working on a Signup Bonus. In that regard, the CIP gave me the best return (most points, largest % return). Now with the new rule enforcement you can ONLY get ONE of the CSR or CSP. It's really a personal decision which card is best but lately some good advice has been to get the CSP in year 1 and then upgrade to CSR later when you're ready to use your points (if the 1.50x) means something to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter