I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's based on your account anniversary and good for a year. Ours just expired on 12/1 and on 12/1 the next year's certificate became active. Haven't tried to use it on SPG, I would think no though as I think they're still separate. Maybe next year?

Duh, just got my brain in gear, the free night is only good at Cat 1 - 5 hotels. So until SPG is included in those categories, or they change the reward night, it only works at Marriott.

Please don't throw hate at me, but I'm surprised to see this and the likes. What are your reasons for getting a card in your kids' names, other than points? I'm guessing you have to also be a co-signer on the account, which would reflect in your credit score. Are there specific cards to look for? My DD is is 17 and this would be a good step to help her build credit (which I've discovered is quite a pain to do solo).
The points were the main reason since I didn’t want to add DH and use one of his slots. But also to start building his credit score for the future since I have excellent credit. I want to make it easier for him in the future with the way they have tightened things so he won’t need co-signers.

To answer some questions:
The only card we have gotten in the last 24mo is the CSR last January (I added my DH as a assoc. so just 1 card. I know now not very smart) So we would each be 1/24.
We want to travel to N.Europe, Asia, and Caribbean. Pretty much anywhere. Our 20th anniversary is in 2019 so we want to go somewhere for that.
We live in the middle of WI so we can use Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. It's a 2-3hr drive anyway we go.
We do not travel for business, so earning points that way doesn't work.
We have a big family so when we travel it's 9 airplane seats, usually 2 hotel rooms(3 in Europe).
Thanks for the help!
So you are both at 1/24 and your "1 card" will actually come off in Jan 2018. I haven't personally done this but have seen reports that you could get to 8/24 if you play your cards right (pun intended, haha!). For sake of this discussion I'm going to assume it takes you 12 months to work through these cards so your "CSR" will even fall off by then...

You could probably EACH get the following:
1: CIP - doesn't count so still 1/24
2: SW Biz - doesn't count so still 1/24
3: SW Plus - 2/24
4: SW Premier - 3/24
5: Marriott - 4/24
6: Other Chase Personal Card - 5/24
2018 comes and CSR falls off - (make sure it's been 24 months since you earned the bonus)
now you are back to 4/24 and can double dip 2 more cards:
7: CSR - 5/24
8: CSP - 6/24 (but you double dipped so you're fine)
(Keep in mind that based on current rules you have to double dip CSP and CSR At the same time or you can't get both...also these rules and enforcement could change in 15 months).

That's like $40k+ in minimum spends if both of you get those cards, and could keep you busy for the next 15-18 months. You can alternate the applications which will keep you kosher with Chase. You'd end up with close to 400,000 SW points and 400,000 URs...or $12,000+ in total travel value. Others may have different advice and I wouldn't do exactly what I said either - make your own plan...but you are in a great spot at 1/24 with 2 players (and that 1 dropping off in about 12 months).

The points were the main reason since I didn’t want to add DH and use one of his slots. But also to start building his credit score for the future since I have excellent credit. I want to make it easier for him in the future with the way they have tightened things so he won’t need co-signers.

When I read your first post I thought you meant you put him as an authorized user. Are you saying you signed him up on his own (under his SS number)? I have thought about adding my girls as an AU but haven't really wanted to deal with it or possibly expose them to fraud.

When I read your first post I thought you meant you put him as an authorized user. Are you saying you signed him up on his own (under his SS number)? I have thought about adding my girls as an AU but haven't really wanted to deal with it or possibly expose them to fraud.
No, he is an AU on my new Marriott account. They were offering 7500 additional points after the AU’s 1st purchase and I didn’t want to waste one of DH’s x/24 with making him AU. Or having to call Chase and asking them to ignore the AU. Since DS won’t be applying for any of his own cards for a substantial period of time, I thought he was the best option. I get the bonus points and DS gets to start to develop a credit history.

Anyone want to help me pick our next cards?
We have CSR (opened last Jan)
CSP(open for a while don't use)
Southwest visa (opened for a long time. My DH and I both have one)

Was thinking about downgrading the CSP for the freedom
Closing the southwest cards and reapplying to hopefully get the companion passes. How long do we have to wait after closing to apply again?
We mainly fly southwest, however we want to go overseas soon so I would consider signing up with a different card.

Does anyone know if both you and your spouse can apply for the Ink business card?

I currently have the 100K American express offer, but I don't know if I should signup for it. Thoughts?
Any suggestions? We have quarterly taxes and other big expenses coming up soon so we can meet the spend on pretty much anything.
Thanks

To answer some questions:
The only card we have gotten in the last 24mo is the CSR last January (I added my DH as a assoc. so just 1 card. I know now not very smart) So we would each be 1/24.
We want to travel to N.Europe, Asia, and Caribbean. Pretty much anywhere. Our 20th anniversary is in 2019 so we want to go somewhere for that.
We live in the middle of WI so we can use Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. It's a 2-3hr drive anyway we go.
We do not travel for business, so earning points that way doesn't work.
We have a big family so when we travel it's 9 airplane seats, usually 2 hotel rooms(3 in Europe).
Thanks for the help!

Yes, both you and DH can get the Ink business card. DH and I each have our own.

ORD is a hub for United and American
MSP is a hub for Delta

I would do some mock bookings to see how many miles you might need for award tickets and also check to get an idea of what the OOP cost might be if there are not enough award tickets available for 9 or none at all. Mileage costs can vary as can OOP pricing. An award flight RT to Paris for one person on United in economy might be 60,000 miles on a saver award or 140,000 miles on a standard award. The OOP range for the same dates can be from $1600 - over $6,000 in economy. Depending on your destination, you might not be flying United. So, the first piece of advice is to have a goal and focus on the airline that is your most likely bet to your destination. If there isn't a specific goal, then you can't go wrong by getting your Chase cards in order since UR points are variable.

UR points transfer 1:1 to United. They also transfer 1:1 for BA which partners with American. However taxes and fees on BA flights are obscene and not worth it unless you are traveling in first. 2018 is days away and ideally you would want to have all of your points in place to book award travel about a year in advance. Airline booking windows open up 330 ish days in advance depending on the airline. Getting 9 seats all on award tickets will be challenging to say the least. You will need variable points in addition to direct transfers for mileage award tickets should that work out more favorably or be the only option.

Chase cards first is the new rule. Each of you should get the CIP. That will get you 170,000 UR points after spend. Your DH should get his own CSR card after removing himself as an AU on yours too. That would be another 54,000 UR points. Then each apply for the United card if you think that is the airline you will be flying. Download the Mileage X App and start buying gift cards for store purchases through there to earn extra UA miles. Card holders get a 25% bonus. Join United dining network and earn points that way and begin shopping through both the UR and UA shopping portals to rack up more points and miles.

Since you do not yet have all of your Chase cards and are under 5/24, I would hold off on the Amex offer. It will come around again. Wait until you are past 5/24. If it is the business card, then it shouldn't affect 5/24.

Hope this helps.

My understanding is that if you upgrade, you are then not eligible for the sign-up bonus for that card - with AmEx, you can only get a sign-up bonus once (generally), so it's usually better to apply for the card rather than upgrade. For example, it looks like you can get 30,000 - 40,000 miles if you apply for the card rather than upgrade.

Well, it was an upgrade offer on their website based on my current card. It was under AMEX offers where they listed various stores and current offers and exp dates. It's not an upgrade I plan to take, was just a thought.

Cut and Paste:

Step Up Your Travel Game
Annual Fee
$450¤

APR

Other rates and fees will remain the same.

Earn 15,000 Bonus Miles

After you upgrade to the Delta Reserve® Credit Card and spend $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months.†

So you are both at 1/24 and your "1 card" will actually come off in Jan 2018. I haven't personally done this but have seen reports that you could get to 8/24 if you play your cards right (pun intended, haha!). For sake of this discussion I'm going to assume it takes you 12 months to work through these cards so your "CSR" will even fall off by then...

You could probably EACH get the following:
1: CIP - doesn't count so still 1/24
2: SW Biz - doesn't count so still 1/24
3: SW Plus - 2/24
4: SW Premier - 3/24
5: Marriott - 4/24
6: Other Chase Personal Card - 5/24
2018 comes and CSR falls off - (make sure it's been 24 months since you earned the bonus)
now you are back to 4/24 and can double dip 2 more cards:
7: CSR - 5/24
8: CSP - 6/24 (but you double dipped so you're fine)
(Keep in mind that based on current rules you have to double dip CSP and CSR At the same time or you can't get both...also these rules and enforcement could change in 15 months).

That's like $40k+ in minimum spends if both of you get those cards, and could keep you busy for the next 15-18 months. You can alternate the applications which will keep you kosher with Chase. You'd end up with close to 400,000 SW points and 400,000 URs...or $12,000+ in total travel value. Others may have different advice and I wouldn't do exactly what I said either - make your own plan...but you are in a great spot at 1/24 with 2 players (and that 1 dropping off in about 12 months).

honestly, hitting chase cards hard might not be a good idea anymore...

honestly, hitting chase cards hard might not be a good idea anymore...
I mean, I guess everybody needs to make their own decision on these reported shutdowns and such. I think you make a valid point worth considering - but perhaps with 2 player mode (and maybe mixing in some AMEX biz cards) you could still hit a bunch of Chase cards up over a 24 month period.

I finally got my act together and applied DW for both the CSP and CSR today. She got instant approval for both, with stupidly high credit limits. o_O Now we get to work on $8,000 in spend in the next 3 months! :crazy2: Thankfully I can pay our rent with Plastiq, otherwise I wouldn't have signed up for this much spend at one time. We also have a few big charges to make soon (new couch & new bed - yay!, medical bills - yuck) so we should be able to make the spend without issue. I contemplated calling Chase and asking them to expedite one of the cards, but I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to the fact that she got two Sapphires in one day to get around the new rule. So I'll just wait.

I finally got my act together and applied DW for both the CSP and CSR today. She got instant approval for both, with stupidly high credit limits. o_O Now we get to work on $8,000 in spend in the next 3 months! :crazy2: Thankfully I can pay our rent with Plastiq, otherwise I wouldn't have signed up for this much spend at one time. We also have a few big charges to make soon (new couch & new bed - yay!, medical bills - yuck) so we should be able to make the spend without issue. I contemplated calling Chase and asking them to expedite one of the cards, but I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to the fact that she got two Sapphires in one day to get around the new rule. So I'll just wait.

Don't be surprised to have the CSR by Friday. I was auto approved and didn't ask to have it expedited and had it a couple days later. This was last month.

Reactions: Ava
I need some advice for a one night Disney stay next month. I have a value resort booked with cash that I paid $176 for. We can get that night at a moderate for 14,424 or $216 through Chase's UR. We are only interested in the cost comparison since we will literally be there to sleep before moving over to our DVC stay. I never did teach myself if $216=$216 using the CSR and now is not the time since I am hopped up on Nyquil!:sick: thanks for any help

For me, I check the value of those points on SWA because that's usually how I use them. Doing that, the your value for the room seems pretty compmarable. I'm sure there are more precise valuations!

DS10 has his first credit card! Now to make a purchase with it so I can receive the additional 7,500 Marriott points :)
what is the general consensus about doing this? my 'kids' are older, but I still hesitate getting them cards for this.... not saying it's bad,just wondering about opinions here... Ok I just read reply-it's an AU...that makes sense,I did that for ds2 to have a card of mine to use when needed also-

Last edited:
what is the general consensus about doing this? my 'kids' are older, but I still hesitate getting them cards for this.... not saying it's bad,just wondering about opinions here... Ok I just read reply-it's an AU...that makes sense,I did that for ds2 to have a card of mine to use when needed also-
I added my 14 year old to my CSP. She travels with her swim team a lot and I'd rather she use a card than cash when she has to pay for meals. And if it helps build her credit, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter