I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual the answer is 'it depends' - can vary widely depending upon where in Europe you are headed. Off the top of my head I would say Best Westerns are quite prevalent and might be worth acquiring some IHG points for Intercontinental/Crowne Plaza/ Holiday Inn etc. Of course - Hilton and Marriott is often available - but not as widely as in the Americas. This is why it pays to plan where you might be going and see what is available there - I know advance planning is not always possible though. As others have mentioned - Club Carlson - particularly for Radisson properties can be a good option.

In some cities, the best hotel options are members of the Accor Hotels group or Scandic - and I am not sure there is an easy way to churn points for those from the US.

Accor has quite a few hotels in the US showing on its locations map. I'd never heard of them until you mentioned them but I've stayed at a Sofitel in the past. Accor has a Loyalty program called Le Club. Sofitels are Accor. If you join Le Club you can choose a partner to help earn points. Avios are a Partner. Delta Air lines also are a partner.

I am just reading the website. Perhaps there is a way to use Delta points. Of course I have no idea whether this is good or not, but they've got a boatload of hotels in Europe and Asia.

Ok, here you go. Getting the same Amex offer on multiple Amex cards with one log in a la MMS style:

Log into Amex account. Click on Amex offers, the click View all. Do not select any offers yet.

Start Amex.png

Right click and copy the URL

Step 1.png

Open a new tab in the same browser

Step 2.png

Paste the URL you copied into the new tab and hit enter

step 3.png

Now click the "my accounts" so you can display and select the next account.

Step 4.png

Select your next card

step 5.png

Once the next card is displayed, click on Amex offers and View All. Keep repeating until you have a tab opened for each card and have selected View All Amex offers on each. Now you can start selecting your offers. I had a Sunglass Hut offer on 4 of my cards. I did a screen shot of 3 so you can see they are displayed for each card. I was able to select this offer on all of my cards by just going to each tab for each card.

Schwab sunglass hut.png
Everday sunglass.png
Aspire Sunglass.png

As a follow up to my earlier suggestion about the Chase Ink Preferred card, if you don't have a Chase branch nearby, it may make sense to put off applying for the CIP until a few months down the line.

The reason being Amex is currently offering the SPG Business credit card at an all-time high of 35,000 Starpoints right now until 3/28/18, so it might make more sense for you to apply for this SPG Biz card first. The current offer from Amex is 35,000 Starpoints after spending $7,000 in 3 months, with the first year annual fee waived. Don't be distracted by the point difference because different points are valued differently. So whereas the CIP would get you 80,000 UR points, and you can transfer UR points to Marriott Rewards points at 1:1, so 80k UR = 80k Marriott points, 35k Starpoints = 105k Marriott points because they transfer at 3:1. It gets a bit more complicated from there. But with Starpoints, you can transfer them to airline partners, transfer them to Marriott for stays or vacation packages, or if you have enough of them use them for free nights at Starwood hotels and resorts.

And because the Amex SPG Biz is a business card, it will not report to your personal credit report, and will not count towards how many credit cards you've opened in the past 24 months (*/24), which won't affect any plans you have to apply for Chase's credit cards (like the CIP) down the line. We expect the CIP will still have its 80,000 UR signup bonus in a few months time.

Wow, good points! I did not know that. So much to learn....

I have no idea why but I got all excited when hubby showed me the mystery envelope from Chase today was a Disney debit card for his new Chase checking account!
We have 2 Disney Visa's already but having the exacta with the Debit now somehow set me all a twitter... might make me go out of my mind and actually take Disney up on the free upgrade to the Premier just to get the trifecta! Well... maybe not...
Honestly have no idea why I was just so suddenly overcome that the default debit card option for the checking account was a Disney card. Especially for an account we don't plan on hanging onto after the bonuses are earned. I think it's just Disney, they have me trained well...

Last edited:
Maximizing bonus question - I'm in my Cashback Match period for my Discover it card so I'm trying to max out the categories but it's hard with normal expenses. Oddly enough I've never bought a BJ's gift card before so before I screw up I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks first. Is it any problem if I throw in a $500 BJ's GC on my next shopping trip to get the 5%? Nothing silly like can't buy a BJ's gift card with a credit card OR somehow Discover will ferret out that amount and not give me the full credit? I'm running out of discounted 3rd party gift cards I'm willing to buy right now so I'd like to just prepay for a bunch of future BJ's trips.

Nope. I bought $1500 of Disney gift cards from BJ’s in January with Discover to pay DVC dues. Haven’t used it since. No issues.

Last edited:
where's the stacking opportunity for BJ's?....yeeesh.... this thread is the best thread around! it moves so fast
BJ's 4 + Discover it 5 (and another 5 at the end of the year)+14%

I cannot figure out how to post photos anymore since photobucket no longer works. I tried to post one a couple weeks ago that I thought people here would appreciate but never could get it to work so I gave up. I'll just put the link to the pic here and hopefully, this works!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4EH1ZrsvODiP8r6F3

Here is my other dd. Her dress was one of the vintage dresses off Amazon too:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bx4GaelQnv0CoQHf1

@Alice Sr. If that doesn't work, I'll try through pm. I think I have figured that out before :)
Oh my they are so beautiful brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful time for you :)

Ok, I'm so behind because I've been driving out of state and at a horse show all day... but I do have one thing to say...

@Lain is a guy?!?!?! Ha, sorry to pick on you Lain! I guess it's like we were discussing the other day about not realizing people's ages on here. With the exception of a few people, I guess I tend to assume that just about everyone on here is a woman haha.

In other news, checked into my crummy Econolodge for tonight and tomorrow night for my horse show. Used my CIP to pay and will get two hotels.com nights from it!

Except Discover also has grocery. Was hoping for something different.

I think Chase did it intentionally to pull business away from Discover. Originally, both Discover and Chase had different categories, it wasnt until 3-4 years ago chase switch categories to match Discover...

Ok, I'm so behind because I've been driving out of state and at a horse show all day... but I do have one thing to say...

@Lain is a guy?!?!?! Ha, sorry to pick on you Lain! I guess it's like we were discussing the other day about not realizing people's ages on here. With the exception of a few people, I guess I tend to assume that just about everyone on here is a woman haha.

In other news, checked into my crummy Econolodge for tonight and tomorrow night for my horse show. Used my CIP to pay and will get two hotels.com nights from it!

haha, i always thought @Lain was a guy. for awhile, i thought @SouthFayetteFan was a girl.

1) I was also surprised Lain was a guy for some reason when I learned that. I'm glad to have some male energy around here LOL!

2) We do have a lot of females here which is nice. r/churning feels like a bunch of angry men most of the time and there are far more males than females there. I think our female:male ratio provides nice balance here and keeps everybody positive too :)

Hawaii I want to go to two islands Maui and Oahu. Italy want to go to Rome & Venice. I opened 2 credit cards in past 24 months. Yes I own a daycare business. So any hints you have for me would be great.

What are good hotel points to accumulate for use in Europe?

April last year my DD was accepted to study abroad in Rome and I had 7 months to save money and points to go visit her. This is my budget version of 10 days in Europe.
My flight (PHL-FCO) was booked with 47250 AA miles (after Citi AA 10% back)
DH and I each got a Sapphire Preferred card which earned 106,000 UR points. I combined them into my account.
Here is how I used them:
22,432 UR points for flights for DD and I from Rome to Munich
27,055 UR points to book 3 nights at Kings Hotel in Munich
$57 2 train tickets to Salzburg
11,387 UR points to book 1 night at Villa Carlton in Salzburg
$172 2 train tickets to Venice
$211 Hotels.com 2 nights at Hotel Canal Grande in Venice (took 21,100 pts stmt credit to reimburse myself)
$115 2 train tickets back to Rome
$243 Hotels.com 3 nights at Hotel Julia in Rome (good location but just ok hotel) (took 24,300 stmt credit to reimburse myself)

Hotels, airfare and trains came to 106,000 UR points and $345 cash.

I tried to get Marriott points for the trip but they didn't post in time. The Marriott Boscolo looks really nice, but its 45,000 points per night. I didn't have time to save that many. If you have time to plan you can look at which chains have locations that you would like to stay at and plan from there. I found UR points to be incredibly flexible and easy to use.

Thanks for the tip. Not going for a few years so have time to save points. I have 5 children so would want to do flights direct to Italy and then perhaps train from Rome to Venice then go back to Naples as my family lives there so no hotel needed for that part of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter