I only have 10 months to plan....

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
Hi all!
It has been 5 years since my last big trip to WDW. That trip included 22 people over a 3 week period, with myself, my daughter and two youngest grandchildren being the only constant. Thanks to my daughter I have a lovely book to hold my memories.

This time there will be 10 of us, again coming and going at different times. This trip is THE GRANDCHILDREN TRIP. All six of my grandkids ages 9 to 22 will be coming plus 1 daughter, 2 friends and myself. We will be staying at Shades of Green for 14 days...so here are my preliminary plans...my work in progress so to speak.

Friday June 15 to Saturday I drive down to WDW by myself...this may change.
Sunday June 17 I do grocery shopping and set up room...and maybe check out a park...

Monday June 18 Layla,9, Aidan, 11, and Mom, Vicki, arrive at 730. No luggage pickup because ta-dah I drove a minivan down. The first day is always Magic Kingdom.

Tuesday June 19 and Wednesday are park days just not sure which.

Thursday June 21 is Cabana Day at Typhoon Lagoon and Bona for dinner. I know I know...planning dinner at 10 months out...but this is my must do. HAVE DECIDED TO DO DISCOVERY COVE. Did reserve a Cabana. Got great military discount.

Friday June 22 is park day
Saturday June 23 early am rest of grandkids join us. Taylor, Will. Caro, and Malinda. Again MK day.

Sunday June 24 and Monday June 24 are Universal days. And Vicki takes an Uber to leave WDW on Sunday. STAYING AT ROYAL PACIFIC 1 NIGHT. WILL HAVE 2 DAYS OF FOL PASSES!!

Tuesday June 25 is AK day.

Wednesday June 26, Two dear friends, Bob and Brenda, join us. They lost their 20 year old daughter last year and I want to make this trip as magical as possible..
So thinking another Cabana Day and a Hoop De Doo event if possible.

Thurs and Friday depends on Bob and Brenda.

Saturday is our last day.
Leave on Sunday July 1.

Now to fill in blank spaces over next few months

Last edited:
Glutton.... I have already booked a throwaway campsite for 1 night. Figure 10 magic bands for 92$ would be a good deal!

I figure I will need 6 five day park hopper plus, 2 ten day hopper plus, 2 three day hopper plus and 1 annual pass for me. Lol. Hope the military salute will still be going on. Then 7 universal passes.

Now my teens are arriving mid vacation and want to do Universal for 2 days. Will be 6 grands(9-22) and me. We will be staying at shades of green. However i am thinking of booking 2 rooms at Royal at Universl for 1 night to get 2 days of fast passes and free parking. Now should I leave shades for 1 night with 7 people or should I overlap that 1 night? Or not bother with Royal? Cost of 2 rooms for one night 864. However express passes for one day for 7 would be 560 plus 2days parking would be 40. So total 600 vrs 864 extra which would make it 264 extra....unless I pull up stakes at Shades for 1 night.

Benefits early entry and front of line pass 2 days, parking 2 days, easy mid day break VRS no early entry, only 1 day front of line pass, driving and no place for midday break.

Cons...is it really worth it?

Our party of 9 includes one 4yo granddaughter and we'll be there the week before you, compadre! I like your style, I actually have all days scheduled using touring plans, know exactly which ADRs and FPs we want each day. And, we have reservations at two locations so we haven't decided yet if we want to stay at AKL or at a tent pad at Fort Wilderness! :)

Last edited:
Hi Buddy
I am waiting to plan most days in November. I hope to have our passes by then so I can do MDE. My basic plan so far is getting a throwaway campsite for 10 for 1 night in order to get the bands for everyone amd maybe able to do FP 60 days out instead of 30. I am also planning two cabana water park days in the middle of each week with Hoop De Doo after the last one.
As my guys want to spend 2 days at Universal I am getting 2 rooms for 1 night at Pacific, while keeping 1 room at Shades. So we will pack over note bags leaving most of our things at the main resort. That way we will be able to get free parking. early entry and front of the line passes for two days. As well as easy access for breaks. I am assuming Universal will also be packed in June and parking for 2 days is 40$ and FoL passes are 80$ per day which would be $560 per day. Making Pacific a good alternate option as well as we get early entry on both days.

We will be there at the same time - arriving 6/18 (but leaving a little earlier - on the 28th). I say it is never too early to plan - planning is one of the best parts - it is like a full year vacation! You're plans seem great so far. It sounds like it may be best to get the rooms at Royal if you are doing Universal - those perks seem worth $264 for me. Do you have to keep your room at Shades or could you do two reservations with a day off in between. However, if you keep the room at Shades is that you could leave all of your things and just take what you need for one night at Universal. With 6 kids, this might be easier.

We did RP and loved it. You should be able to get some kind of discount there between now and then too. Sometimes you'll see discounts for 17/18% on Orbitz and cheap tickets. Or you could get an AP for one person in your group and look for AP discounts. We actually did club level at RP for not much extra which gave us breakfasts and happy hours among other things. The happy hour was enough appetizers for dinner so it ended up being a good deal for us. You might want to think about that since you'll have all the kids. Have you found the Universal section of the board yet? The people over there are a great resource if you have any universal.questions.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I will be keeping 1 room at Shades so I don't have to pack everything up. Just enough for overnighter. I hope to get the military salute tickets for Universal plus 1 child ticket. I hope to apply a discount to room later.

I have been looking at Universal boards. Before looking I was sort of ho hum on universal but am now getting excited.
Thanks for the replies!!!

Only 8 months to go. Just booked Discovery cove with a dolphin swim on Thursday June 21. Going to do this with daughter and 2 younger grands. Next month picking up Wdw tickets.

Has anyone ever gone to Discovery cove? It will be a first for us. Any info would be great.

The military discount for Royal Pacific just opened up. I saved 116$ on one room. Will continue looking for a discount for the second room

Also got great discounts on Discovery Cove. Saved 100$ per ticket thanks to my husband's military service.

Love it, the thought and detail even at 10 months out. Very cool!! I don't know if I could stand waiting 10 months without losing my mind.

For me the planning and paying it off bit by bit is half the fun 8 months out now.

Last edited:
So I now have less than 6 months to plan. Let's see how I am doing...

June 15 I begin my solo drive to WDW arriving June 16 at Shades of Green, settle in, shop for groceries and relax before crowd.

June 18 Daughter and 2 littlest ( 9 and 11) arrive at MCO at 9:40 am. We plan to go to Epcot arriving ar noon. Dinner is at Garden Grill.

June 19 We do MK with late lunch at Kona on our mid day break. Or maybe Liberty Tree? Not sure. Suggestions?

June 20 We will do AK. Kids want to eat at Rain Forrest Cafe.

June 21 We go to Discovery Cove and swim with Dolphins.

June 22, Friday, we do Disney Studios. Late lunch at Sci Fi Diner. I pick up kids (16, 17, 18, 23) at MCO at 11:40 pm.

June 23, Saturday, we do MK. Late lunch at Belle Castle.

June 24 nd 25 We get up early to move to Pacific Hotel for 1 night, keeping our rooms at Shades. My daughter Vicki leaves to go back to work leaving me with 6 grands. We will do Universal Park for 2 days with Front of line passes. Not sure where to eat yet.

June 26 Tuesday, open for kids selection. Two more friends (Bob and Brenda) joining ai 11:40 that night.

June 27 Wednesday, have a cabana at Typhoon Lagoon for the day then Hoop De Doo at 8:30 pm.

June 28 is AK

June 29 and 30 open pending new arrivals input.

Leave Sunday July 1.

Hotels done. Plane ressie done. WDW tickets bought. Cabana and Hoop Dee DO paid for. Now to firm up the rest.

I am not making as many ADR this trip as they are not worth the cost. Four of my grands eat very little. I am depending more on room groceries and counter service.

Suggestions anyone?
Thanks

Last edited:
Landry's has a loyalty card that may be worth the investment for your visit to Rainforest Cafe. May be worth it, particularly if you think the grandkids might want to go to T-Rex at Disney Springs sometime during the trip, too (it's actually pretty awesome).

I like your organization and its NEVER to late to plan restaurants. I have a rough list ready by 12 months for the girls to review. As to your Universal thing, I am doing some of the same thing. My god daughter wants Harry Potter, we are not leaving AKL but I have paid for a room at Hard Rock for her and her mother to take advantage of early entry and the front of the line thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter