Ideal dates for Southwest?

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
I'm very new to the ABD (I've been a Disney fan for years) and have just begun to research the Southwest trip - good timing on my part with the 2009 dates and discounts just released! It would be myself and my 6 year old and it looks great however I'm not one for major heat, I just can't tolerate it well. I have a very flexible job and I have no problems taking my daughter out of school so what would be the ideal date to book this regarding weather? Also what airports are used to and from and has anyone ever extended their trip on their own at the beginning or end? Thanks!

I'm very new to the ABD (I've been a Disney fan for years) and have just begun to research the Southwest trip - good timing on my part with the 2009 dates and discounts just released! It would be myself and my 6 year old and it looks great however I'm not one for major heat, I just can't tolerate it well. I have a very flexible job and I have no problems taking my daughter out of school so what would be the ideal date to book this regarding weather? Also what airports are used to and from and has anyone ever extended their trip on their own at the beginning or end? Thanks!
Personally, I went in early May, and I don't know that I would have wanted to do it much later in the year. It was just getting hot in Phoenix, and the temps were, for me, lovely the rest of the trip. VERY DRY, but not really hot. We wore jackets some of the time because of the combo of wind & temps. If it hadn't been windy, the jackets probably would not have been necessary, except at the Grand Canyon, where it was chilly, and actually snowed in the morning!

I imagine October would be similar. If you don't like heat, DO NOT go in July/August.

You fly into Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, and out of the Grand Junction, Colorado airport. Be aware, there is NO real food at the Grand Junction airport, I didn't get lunch until landing in Dallas at 4:30 pm.

I stayed in Phoenix a couple of days before the tour, and there was one family on our tour who rented a car & went to Denver afterwards. No-one stayed in Grand Junction.

Sayhello

We went in mid September last year and the weather was perfect
Grand Junction is a very small airport and most flights out of there are connecting ones. If you can add a day or two the drive to Denver is beautiful and you can stop off in Vail if you like

We did this tour beginning Memorial Day weekend this year (May 2???). I was very pleased with the weather. I was glad we had brought our wind breaker type jackets. They came in very handy. It really was not very hot until we got to Utah at the end of the trip. Also, every day the skies were very very blue with hardly a cloud in them. Made for some very beautiful pictures. It was like Disney had ordered the perfect weather just for us :rotfl: :rotfl:

It was a fabulous trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter