If You Contract COVID-19, Are You Going To Tell Anyone Outside Immediate Family?

Christine

DIS Veteran
I ask because I'm an "open book" type of person.

We have a person in my office who has contracted the virus. We have all been home teleworking since March 17th so the 14-day window is now up anyway, but the last day we were in the office, the person was there. We all work in a cubicle farm and it would be generous to say there is 6 feet of space between workers. We also share a very busy kitchen (about 200 people use the one kitchen). Right after telework started, the worker came down with symptoms, went to the doctor, and was directed for testing. The test results *never* came back. The situation worsened and the worker went to the hospital over the weekend and was given the test which came back in a few hours--positive. Employee is now in the hospital for observation for 7 days.

Of course, there's the nosiness issue and people just want to know who it is, but people (one in particular) does have very mild symptoms that could just be a cold, but still. They could very well have a mild case but they have family members who have issues. Our state won't test without a fever, but if you can prove you had contact with a known infected person, then you can get one. At this point, no one knows if they did or didn't.

At any rate, I'm sure we'll all be okay. But it got me thinking about if I would or would not disclose the info. I know I would, just to educate others around me. What about you?

Edited to add: the employee doesn't want anyone to know who it is. Obviously, higher management knows.

Last edited:
I ask because I'm an "open book" type of person.

We have a person in my office who has contracted the virus. We have all been home teleworking since March 17th so the 14-day window is now up anyway, but the last day we were in the office, the person was there. We all work in a cubicle farm and it would be generous to say there is 6 feet of space between workers. We also share a very busy kitchen (about 200 people use the one kitchen). Right after telework started, the worker came down with symptoms, went to the doctor, and was directed for testing. The test results *never* came back. The situation worsened and the worker went to the hospital over the weekend and was given the test which came back in a few hours--positive. Employee is now in the hospital for observation for 7 days.

Of course, there's the nosiness issue and people just want to know who it is, but people (one in particular) does have very mild symptoms that could just be a cold, but still. They could very well have a mild case but they have family members who have issues. Our state won't test without a fever, but if you can prove you had contact with a known infected person, then you can get one. At this point, no one knows if they did or didn't.

At any rate, I'm sure we'll all be okay. But it got me thinking about if I would or would not disclose the info. I know I would, just to educate others around me. What about you?
The only people I'd tell would be DH (who obviously lives with me), our children, and my mother and sisters.

DH would probably have to tell his boss and team if either of us got it, because he'd no longer be able to go into the office a couple times a week.

I would tell anyone who needed to know or rather give my contact information to the proper authorities.
I dislike being visited in the hospital almost as much as going there. Of course that's not a concern now since people aren't allowed to visit. Perhaps I'd tell my elder sister, perhaps not.

My house has been isolated long enough that there’s no work we’d need to report the information to. I’d tell some friends (though they haven’t been exposed to us either). But I’d be so clueless as to how or where it was contracted that I wouldn’t even begin to know who to alert. An Amazon packaging facility? But even our boxes get ignored for two- three days before we touch them

I would only tell those whose health might be in jeopardy due to their interaction with me. If my diagnosis in no way affected their health or day to day business, nope. Wouldn't tell.
We've got a woman here at work who is constantly asking "where is so & so, is she SICK?" in a constant and dramatic way. No they aren't sick, they are out because of reasons that are not your business! Of course, she is also the one who is constantly spouting "well I heard on facebook...." the most ridiculous things.
But, she's already proven to be one of those who thrives on drama no matter what the situation.

I guess I think of it as anything else - I don't normally go about declaring or talking about various medical issues or seasonal illness I might have, and this is no different. Unless it specifically can impact another persons health I don't go about talking about my health to random folks. Random folks don't care, nor should they!

No - for sure there is no shame. I'm just looking at it personally - I don't normally go about telling random folks about my medical issues, so don't know why I would if I got this. (again, assuming they were not affected....for some reason - how ridiculous I feel the need to keep reiterating this, although I'm thinking if I don't some person will come along to correct me as to why they think I have to tell those I interacted with I had it. As if I didn't know that.
And yes, I know some don't know that.)
I'm exhausted.

I guess I think of it as anything else - I don't normally go about declaring or talking about various medical issues or seasonal illness I might have, and this is no different. Unless it specifically can impact another persons health I don't go about talking about my health to random folks. Random folks don't care, nor should they!

I do agree with that, in general, however, considering the closeness of the cubicles we do have several employees that are concerned--concerned that their "cold" may be the virus or concerned they are one of the asymptomatic sufferers that could pass it on to a vulnerable family member. Because they aren't sure if they had contact with the mystery employee, they are taking measures just assuming that they were exposed, like sticking to one room, etc. I think, for them, it would be nice to know if they were in range of the employee.

I would tell my work, especially if I was sick enough to need time off, but also so they know I would not be able to come into the office at all for a couple weeks (I'm working from home now, but our offices are still open).

And my family, obviously.

tldr: no.

First of all, if one gets infected, then s/he needs to stay home and not even leave the house for walks or anything for at least 2 weeks. Get delivery of food and groceries if needed. And if this is the case, there’s very few reasons why you’d need to tell anyone after those couple weeks of quarantine.

This goes the same for anyone that lives in the same home. Basically, any roommate or family member at home needs to treat the exposure by a quarantine of themselves. Just common sense now.

BTW, I hear from peers in the ED that there are instances when a patient would come in for something (other than possible COVIID-19) and not tell the nurse/doctor that they have or had flu like symptoms because they don’t want to be tested for COVID-19. The reason: they don’t want to be quarantined.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter