• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If You Contract COVID-19, Are You Going To Tell Anyone Outside Immediate Family?

Nope. No ones business but my families.
I guess work would know. Though

Last edited:
Timely thread..

Found out our HOA, amongst the other 250 neighborhoods under the Property Management company of our HOA has a form they want you to fill out should you find out you're positive (by testing).....

Our County health department strongly suggests against giving your personal information out to HOAs and others.

It's not about stigma here (and there shouldn't be for testing positive anyways) it's about your privacy. Your health department needs to know, your workplace needs to know, your HOA does not need to know. I've already seen how nasty people have gotten in respects to a neighborhood where a man passed away and people were yelling at other parents for letting their kids play in their backyards because they were connecting that with the gentleman getting the virus.

Despite the fact that they said they've consulted with their legal team and had an attorney write the 'request' it's worded "In the unfortunate event that you or a member of your household tests positive for COVID-19, in addition to following the instructions of your medical professional, please report your confirmed case immediately to ____" Comes out like you need to do this, not quite a request as they've insisted it is..besides it probably shouldn't even be a request in the first place.

It's not likely to go over well..not IMO at least and has already drummed up attention. The HOA says they would protect your privacy but they have no legal, nor moral obligation, IMO to know. People have to assume that others in your area aready have it so I don't see the point to send a letter to any given neighborhood to say "we have a positive in X neighborhood". One of the property managers said "I think if there were a case in the community, most people would like to be made aware so they took extra precautions at the community mailbox, on walking trails and sidewalks, etc."..umm sir we're already supposed to be doing this.

All I see is it making the neighbors paranoid and more likely to engage in unneighborly behavior.

Yes. I’d tell my close friends for emotional support.

I would also probably share my experience with my symptoms/testing online on Facebook/Twitter once recovered.

I agree with others...nothing to be ashamed of and no reason to worry about a stigma.

But I would tell my boss if I wasn't well enough to work. Also, the only reason to tell co-workers is if they came in contact with you, then it's possible they have been exposed and they should self-quarantine. The problem with covid-19 is that you can be contagious before you have symptoms.

I live in a rural area and when they announced the first case in the county people came out with torches and pitchforks on social media demanding to know who the man is and where he has been and who he has been in contact with.

I wouldn't want to but I'd tell work and than my mom and she'd take it from there so the whole world would know.

Timely thread..

Found out our HOA, amongst the other 250 neighborhoods under the Property Management company of our HOA has a form they want you to fill out should you find out you're positive (by testing).....

Our County health department strongly suggests against giving your personal information out to HOAs and others.

It's not about stigma here (and there shouldn't be for testing positive anyways) it's about your privacy. Your health department needs to know, your workplace needs to know, your HOA does not need to know. I've already seen how nasty people have gotten in respects to a neighborhood where a man passed away and people were yelling at other parents for letting their kids play in their backyards because they were connecting that with the gentleman getting the virus.

Despite the fact that they said they've consulted with their legal team and had an attorney write the 'request' it's worded "In the unfortunate event that you or a member of your household tests positive for COVID-19, in addition to following the instructions of your medical professional, please report your confirmed case immediately to ____" Comes out like you need to do this, not quite a request as they've insisted it is..besides it probably shouldn't even be a request in the first place.

It's not likely to go over well..not IMO at least and has already drummed up attention. The HOA says they would protect your privacy but they have no legal, nor moral obligation, IMO to know. People have to assume that others in your area aready have it so I don't see the point to send a letter to any given neighborhood to say "we have a positive in X neighborhood". One of the property managers said "I think if there were a case in the community, most people would like to be made aware so they took extra precautions at the community mailbox, on walking trails and sidewalks, etc."..umm sir we're already supposed to be doing this.

All I see is it making the neighbors paranoid and more likely to engage in unneighborly behavior.
I'd tell the HOA to kiss off. There is zero reason they have any business knowing your private medical info.

I sure as "heck" hope people would tell everyone that they have been with in the last 14 days. This is just plain common sense and decency! This is one of the main reasons it spreads so much:(

This is still a topic where I work. The employees are not asking for the person's name at this point but they want to be notified if they sat in the cubicle row with that person. I don't think that's too much to ask, but it's not being done. Additionally, the 14 day "rule" is variable. It's been said that roughly 25% of the population will carry the disease and never exhibit symptoms. So, if Employee A sits next to Patient Zero for 6 hours on Day 1, contracts the virus, starts shedding on, say Day 3, at home and passes it to Family Member A, their family member's clock then starts. If Employee A was told that he/she was sitting next to a "presumptive positive" person for 6 hours on Day 1, Employee A may have made some better decisions when they were at home on the following days. But the Employees that sat close by were not told. I think it is too much to ask (just my opinion) over 100 people to follow stringent self-quarantine rules at home when only, say, eight employees really needed to do that. Because it's hard to do within a household. All this could be done without even saying the patient's name. While it could be deduced, it's not the same as releasing the name.

I would tell because I think it is important for people to put a face to the numbers to make it real in some cases. Some people are still ignoring it. Maybe me saying something would be a wake up call to someone.
Yes! This is a community/national/global issue and we're all in it together. Knowing "real people", our friends and neighbours, that have contracted it really does help for some people. I think we all would also benefit from hearing some "real people" anecdotal accounts of the symptoms, self-care and recovery - both the easy and tough cases.

Personally, DH and I are in mandatory self-isolation after having arrived home from abroad on March 21. There are TONS of people concerned about us and calling/texting every day to check in. I'm certainly not going to lie to any of them if we do develop symptoms. Our work would have to be informed and we both work in the type of places that word would inevitably get around, like it or not, but it really wouldn't bother us. We couldn't be accused of being vectors since neither of us have been at our offices since March 12.

Knowing "real people", our friends and neighbours, that have contracted it really does help for some people. I think we all would also benefit from hearing some "real people" anecdotal accounts of the symptoms, self-care and recovery - both the easy and tough cases.

In reference to the above, if anyone is interested, here is a link to our local NBC affiliate which aired this last night. The young man in the video is someone my daughter attended middle and high school with. He is 29 and was on a respirator for 12 days. No underlying conditions. Thank goodness he is getting better but it is a message to the young people.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...d-coronavirus-patient-shares-warning/2259824/

Just wanted to give an update to my HOA debacle.

As anticipated it didn't go over well at all. One County's Health Department on the other side of the state line advised the property management company to retract that request, and health officials in my county said they don't condone any private or public entity asking for a person’s health-related information.

Still trying to figure out who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to even go forth through the effort :sad2: But the heat's on and the local news is involved and while they are trying to backtrack into all this "it's voluntary not required stuff" the management company doesn't look good in even asking.

Doesn't sound like they are retracting the request at the present moment but I could see them abandoning the request if/when the heat is too much or trying to just act like it will go away without formally retracting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter