Ignore. Just practicing posting pics

KFK's Mom Rocks!

Agreed!

KFK- Thanks for the new scans.

That map is interesting.

It shows the Trail Blaze Corral located behind the 1700 loop.

I have seen this referenced on other older maps as well.

I can't read some of the printing on the map- but it looks like it identifies the area near the Wilderness Swamp Trail as Marshmallow Marsh.

Can you scan the hamburger wrapper?

TCD

In my WDW book there is a pic of the canal near the Wilderness Swamp trail. There is a long dock on the side closest to the store. I assume this is where the canoes docked for the marshmallow thing. It also has a pic of a WDW employee playing a guitar and children roasting marshmallows around a firepit right next to Bay Lake.

In my WDW book there is a pic of the canal near the Wilderness Swamp trail. There is a long dock on the side closest to the store. I assume this is where the canoes docked for the marshmallow thing. It also has a pic of a WDW employee playing a guitar and children roasting marshmallows around a firepit right next to Bay Lake.
That sounds so cool. And it raises a question that I think has been discussed before...20 years from now, what will we be looking back on from 2010 that is long gone and missed? The campfire program and outdoor movies? Canoe rentals on the canals? The fried chicken? Will we be saying "my Giddyap N Go Got up and Went"?

Wow those brought me back, I did the majority of my trips to WDW at FW from 1976 till about 1992, still love to go back and go into the trading post its got this distinct smell to it that brings me back to those days,that and hearing the train whistle from the porch of Crocketts Tavern. :cloud9:

I'll have to go through all my old stuff and my Moms to see what old photos and brochures we have kicking around.

KFK's Mom Rocks!

Yes she does! Thanks!

Agreed!

KFK- Thanks for the new scans.

That map is interesting.

It shows the Trail Blaze Corral located behind the 1700 loop.

I have seen this referenced on other older maps as well.

I can't read some of the printing on the map- but it looks like it identifies the area near the Wilderness Swamp Trail as Marshmallow Marsh.

Can you scan the hamburger wrapper?

TCD
Sure can! I think I needed to crop the map after I scanned it. I believe that's why it posted a little small. May try to redo later.

Now, THERE's a question ya don't get asked everyday!!!:cool2:

Really? You've never been asked to scan your burger wrapper before. Wow, I'm speechless! Doesn't say much about your burger wrappers does it? :lmao:

For those not familiar with Marshmallow Marsh...

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id221.htm

Cool! Thanks for the link!

Ok, I'll bite. What is this WDW book that you speak of?

That sounds so cool. And it raises a question that I think has been discussed before...20 years from now, what will we be looking back on from 2010 that is long gone and missed? The campfire program and outdoor movies? Canoe rentals on the canals? The fried chicken? Will we be saying "my Giddyap N Go Got up and Went"?

Stop it! Don't talk that way! I can't bear the thought of the Giddyup and go, giddyup and going anywhere! We always have that on arrival day to keep me from having to cook. It would be a travesty of justice if KFK had to cook on arrival day! :scared1: It would just be wrong!

Wow those brought me back, I did the majority of my trips to WDW at FW from 1976 till about 1992, still love to go back and go into the trading post its got this distinct smell to it that brings me back to those days,that and hearing the train whistle from the porch of Crocketts Tavern. :cloud9:

I'll have to go through all my old stuff and my Moms to see what old photos and brochures we have kicking around.

Please do! Looks like this thread is turning out to be a visit from the Ghost of FW past!

KFK and cousin Julie on our way to the Fort in the old MH.
KSCN0046.jpg

Who remembers surrey's at the Fort? Cousin Julie and Bro. Jerry
KSCN0047.jpg

KFK and Bro. Chris in the RC pool.
KSCN0045.jpg

These aren't Dino-era per se, but they are part of a bygone era. Just shows how quickly things can change.:sad1: I believe the first 2 pics are from '89 and the RC pool pic is from '93. RC's days were already numbered. :sad1:

I love this thread, and the retro pics! By the way, I am almost 100% certain I've seen otters in Bay Lake, and my husband also confirms this. Whatever happened to the peacocks? I was wondering why we haven't seen them there on our past few trips.

The otters were swimming around the launch dock last year, we saw them several times (was a single pair of them). I'll have to check to see if we got any video or pictures.

Stop it! Don't talk that way! I can't bear the thought of the Giddyup and go, giddyup and going anywhere! We always have that on arrival day to keep me from having to cook. It would be a travesty of justice if KFK had to cook on arrival day! :scared1: It would just be wrong!
Well if they ever get rid of the giddyap, KFK will have to giddyap over to KFC. :lmao:

Ok, I'll bite. What is this WDW book that you speak of?

It's a hardback book that used to be on sale at Disney. It has lots of info on the parks and resorts. The only parks at the time were MK and Epcot. The only resorts were Poly, CR, The Disney Inn, FW, and the WDW Village Resort.

I don't have a scanner so here a few camera phone pics.

334062ed.jpg

19d0162c.jpg

f122f7e1.jpg

52668bd8.jpg

Well if they ever get rid of the giddyap, KFK will have to giddyap over to KFC. :lmao:

YOU KNOW IT DAVE IN TN! BEEN THERE DONE THAT! I KNEW THIS PIC WOULD COME IN HANDY AT SOME POINT! :lmao: BTW, after finishing up a set of mids, DH said "Hey KFK, you've got the same initials as Kentucky Fried Chicken!" :rotfl2:
P5100661.jpg

It's a hardback book that used to be on sale at Disney. It has lots of info on the parks and resorts. The only parks at the time were MK and Epcot. The only resorts were Poly, CR, The Disney Inn, FW, and the WDW Village Resort.

Hey! I think I've seen that book before. Wish I'd gotten one while they were still available! I still love the graphic of the world w/the mouse ears on top! That takes me back to the day! Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup2

Who remembers surrey's at the Fort? Cousin Julie and Bro. Jerry
KSCN0047.jpg

I didn't know Surreys were even invented back in the dinosaur age!

Actually, they still rent Surreys over at Wilderness Lodge, and on occasion, you will see WL people peddling them around the Fort. But, obviously, this surrey came from the Fort, as there was no WL back in the dinosaur age.

I like to think that I can identify the location depicted in any FW photo, so I am going to take a stab at this one.

This looks like the area between the Bike Barn and the Meadow Pool. I think those are the shuffleboard courts there in the back. Does anyone have a different idea?

Thanks for posting those! Those are some cool photos. It is amazing how open and bare everything used to look, before all of the trees and other landscaping grew in.

You mentioned a photo of a dock on Bay Lake.

Can you post a phone camera shot of that?

TCD

I didn't know Surreys were even invented back in the dinosaur age!

Actually, they still rent Surreys over at Wilderness Lodge, and on occasion, you will see WL people peddling them around the Fort. But, obviously, this surrey came from the Fort, as there was no WL back in the dinosaur age.

I like to think that I can identify the location depicted in any FW photo, so I am going to take a stab at this one.

This looks like the area between the Bike Barn and the Meadow Pool. I think those are the shuffleboard courts there in the back. Does anyone have a different idea?

TCD

Yes, there's the proof of a Dino-surrey. I didn't know they could still be rented at WL...good to know. Like I'll ever rent one! :lmao: I have seen one in the BW area. Those poor people looked miserable peddling that thing. Next time I looked the whole family was out and pushing that thing! Pure misery!

Good guess. That's exactly where that pic was taken. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Refer to previous post for your bucket of chicken. :laughing:

More FW brochures. Mom has agreed to provide the burger wrapper for scanning. Maybe tonight or tomorrow sometime. :thumbsup2 She is also tickled pink that not only is she a hero....she also ROCKS! :laughing: As you can see, FW went from the TT, to what looks more like a conventional trailer to the cabins that exist today. As grandma always says...."Time changes everything."

Notice the rates on this brochure! WOW! Sidenote: Saw this brochure for sale online for $15! I can't imagine what's mom's little treasures are worth!
010.jpg
012.jpg

Discovery Island and River Country are on this map.
FWBrochure1.jpg
011.jpg

Hopefully this will be easier too read now! Mom remembers the Marshmallow Marsh. Said she always wanted to do it, but never got around to it. Now it's just too late :sad1:
013.jpg
014.jpg

Just because I wanted to post a bigger copy.
009.jpg

Thanks for posting those! Those are some cool photos. It is amazing how open and bare everything used to look, before all of the trees and other landscaping grew in.

You mentioned a photo of a dock on Bay Lake.

Can you post a phone camera shot of that?

TCD

Here you go....sorry for the quality, but I tried getting a close up.

CIMG0104.jpg

WOW!

More great stuff!!!

Thanks KFK and IDWD!

There is so much to comment on here;

In one of KFK's scanned brochures, it states that there are 830 campsites in the Fort.

Does anyone know how many there are now? Don't forget about the new sites added to the 600 loop.

I believe the current number is 799.

So, what happened to the other campsites?

Or, is this a typo?

I don't think it's a typo.

The 2100 loop, which is now a Cabin Loop, used to be a campsite loop. Do you know that there is still an old comfort station smack dab in the middle of the 2100 loop? If that doesn't convince you, the next time you're there, make note of the fact that all of the cabins have the concrete tree stump utility connections next to them. Why don't the other cabin loops have those?

So, the Fort has less campsites now, even with the 600 loop expansion, then it did in the 80's.

Do you notice that the name Fleetwood is everywhere?

Did you notice that the road that leads to the cabin loops is called Fleetwood Pass on KFK's map?

It's called Peacock Pass now.

Fleetwood got the boot.

The aerial illustration on one of KFK's scans is great. It really seems to be pretty accurate as far as loop locations is concerned. It looks like maybe there is something, perhaps the Trail Blaze Corral (?), in the area of what is now the hitch/unhitch area. Also, I don't see horse stables in the illustration, or on the map, near the Gateway Depot.

On the map, it looks like there is an extra building in the parking lot next to the Reception Outpost. Anyone know what that is?

Also, on KFK's map, on the campfire side of the bridge next to the 600 loop, there looks like there is a symbol for some type of building, but it is not identified. Anyone know anything about that?

Notice on the map that there are only two bus routes through the Fort. I think it's better now.

Now, to you IDWD-

That photo is fantastic!

That is clearly taken from Bay Lake, looking toward the canal behind the 300 loop. It does look like there is a dock there on the right of the canal. This area looks much the same today, minus the canoe dock:

This shot was taken from the top of the bridge/dam, looking toward Bay Lake:

FWApril2010091.jpg

And now we are looking the other way:

FWApril2010092.jpg

FWApril2010141.jpg

IDWD- while we are waiting for KFK to scan her mom's burger wrapper, where is that photo of the campfire by Bay Lake?

TCD

TCD,

Ask and ye shall receive....and then some.:thumbsup2

0e12b4aa.jpg

353f535b.jpg

And a few more that I thought were interesting

Check out the beaches on DI

daf9e6da.jpg

e102f6ed.jpg

Look, a guest actually in the water and touching an animal. This would never happen these days.

eabaf2dc.jpg

Check out the lack of vegetation at RC. Also it looks like there was a swimming area in Bay Lake at RC too. I don't remember that.

4746fbeb.jpg

86fcb91d.jpg

f1c0d020.jpg

262fdb87.jpg

Check out these watercraft. I remember them, but I don't recall seeing them lately, but I may have not been paying attention. Anyone know if they are still around?

415e6cff.jpg

And finally, the Settlement B.A. (before asphalt)

96702f3f.jpg

Do you notice that the name Fleetwood is everywhere?

Did you notice that the road that leads to the cabin loops is called Fleetwood Pass on KFK's map?

It's called Peacock Pass now.

Fleetwood got the boot.
Yes, and notice the 500 loop, which is now Buffalo Bend, was called Terry Trail at that time. Terry was a major line of TT's from Fleetwood.

These old brochures are always fascinating! Can't wait for the burger wrapper...might have to post that on the Salivation thread too.

IDWD-

Wow to the photo of the fellow playing guitar on the beach- you can see the silhouette of Space Mountain in the background- that is definitely a view from the Fort!

Wow to the photo of the campfire on the beach!

Wow to the photos of Discovery Island. There are no beaches on Discovery Island now- everything is grown right up to the water line!

Wow to the guy with the German Flag bathing suit holding the parrot!

Wow to the photo of the swimming area in Bay Lake at River Country! And the sandy area over by the slides!

Wow to how rocky River Country looks in these photos!

Wow to the Aqua trike photo- that is the Meadow Trading Post in the background!

Wow to Pioneer Hall P.A.!

Just Wow!

Thanks for posting these.

Is there an ISBN on the title page of that book? I sure would like to see if I could track down a copy.

Somehow, I am thinking KFK's hamburger wrapper isn't going to top this.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter