I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

HeadBlue-1.jpg

I am planning on making theses shirts for all of the family that is going in Apr. So it's going to 4 adult females, 2 males and 4 little ones. Does anyone suggest a specific brand of T-shirt? I am also specifically looking to get shirts that are cut for women. Any thoughts on where to get those?

I am planning on making theses shirts for all of the family that is going in Apr. So it's going to 4 adult females, 2 males and 4 little ones. Does anyone suggest a specific brand of T-shirt? I am also specifically looking to get shirts that are cut for women. Any thoughts on where to get those?

I use hanes,fruit of the loom unisex type shirts 100% cotton, those are great because of the cotton count.
Women fitted shirts try merona from Target, I had used those a lot, v and crew neck, just make sure you don't dry them all the way, low dry or go one size bigger, also the fitted shirts from Michael's Jerzzes (spelling?) you can check here for directions:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028914

Have fun!! :cool1:

Thanks for the info Pixie!
I got a tshirt from JoAnn Fabrics yesterday to use for the trial run and I realized after the fact that it's a 50/50 blend, not 100% cotton. Is that going to make a really noticable difference? I even got it from the same aisle as the tie dye kits! I WILL make sure to get 100% whenever I do the ones that are going to be for the family.

Thanks for the info Pixie!
I got a tshirt from JoAnn Fabrics yesterday to use for the trial run and I realized after the fact that it's a 50/50 blend, not 100% cotton. Is that going to make a really noticable difference? I even got it from the same aisle as the tie dye kits! I WILL make sure to get 100% whenever I do the ones that are going to be for the family.

Oh bummer, well it does make a difference with the colors, you colors would be pastels and not really vivid, if you want them just to practice that would be fine then. I made the same mistake on my very first shirts ;) so don't feel bad.
Next time make sure they're 100% cotton, the thicker the cotton the better. Wal mart has organic cotton faded glory brand and those are great as well.

Great too know! I really want to do the red and black ones for my daughters and nieces. When I saw them in your post, I knew the girls would love them. they all have little re\black Minnie mouse hair clips, so they would go together perfect. My wife and sis-in-law have done 95% of the planning so this will be my major contribution!

Great too know! I really want to do the red and black ones for my daughters and nieces. When I saw them in your post, I knew the girls would love them. they all have little re\black Minnie mouse hair clips, so they would go together perfect. My wife and sis-in-law have done 95% of the planning so this will be my major contribution!

Cool! You can do it. I don't know what kind of dye you have, if you want them to look vivid like the ones I made I can help you with the colors mix, depending on the kind of dye, also if you want some white on them. Black is fun to work with.

Tulip kit with red, yellow and blue.
Then I bought a separate one of black (also tulip)
And the soda ash was Tulip as well. It all came from JoAnn fabrics.
I do have a Wal Mart, Michael's, Target and other non big chain crafts places nearby, so I can probably get most things that you may suggest. I'll have to post the Minnie Mouse hair clips. But they would be perfect with the red\black combo. I think the adults are okay with whatever colors we do. Any suggestions you give will be taken as Gospel!!!!
:worship:

Did the stitching and soda ash on Sunday.
Did the swirling, rubber banding and dying tonight!
I am afraid that I didn't use enough rubber bands around the Mickey ears. It seemed like the black crept past the rubber bands. But at least I know now before I go to make the good ones. So tomorrow night I'll rinse them out in the utility tub and drop them in the washer (warm, right?)
I've seen mention of synthropol(?) What is it and where can it be bought?

I posted these pictures on the other thread......

OK, this is how they look when getting ready to wash them.

IMG_0447.jpg

Did the stitching and soda ash on Sunday.
Did the swirling, rubber banding and dying tonight!
I am afraid that I didn't use enough rubber bands around the Mickey ears. It seemed like the black crept past the rubber bands. But at least I know now before I go to make the good ones. So tomorrow night I'll rinse them out in the utility tub and drop them in the washer (warm, right?)
I've seen mention of synthropol(?) What is it and where can it be bought?

Yes, lots of rubber bands really thigh, some times the dye gets past the rubber bands anyway.

Tomorrow after 24 hours had past, rinse them in the sink or tub, squeeze the excess dye, then to the washer.
You can find Synthropol at AC moore or Art store, but if you don't have it you can also use Cheer or any mild soap, sprinkle some salt also.

We have Dreft and All (free and clear & for colors)in the house.
I did get the iron on rhinestones to outline the Mickey ears for the little girls in the family ( and maybe my bro-in-law to embarass him ;-)
I didn't think about the bows. How do you add them? Do you make them and sew them on?

We have Dreft and All (free and clear & for colors)in the house.
I did get the iron on rhinestones to outline the Mickey ears for the little girls in the family ( and maybe my bro-in-law to embarass him ;-)
I didn't think about the bows. How do you add them? Do you make them and sew them on?

Haha I can see your bro in law wearing his shirt with bling bling :rotfl:

With the same ribbon just make a little bow and then hand sew it.

OK, here was my first attempts!
The 2nd one was a 50/50 shirt and the 1st one was 100% cotton. There was a HUGE difference in how the colors came out (dull vs. very crisp and vibrant)
The one where the Mickey ears look like a heart...that one needed more rubber bands around the Mickey ears! Lesson learned. Thes pics were after I rinsed, but before I washed them. I think I may outline the 'heart' one with rhinestones so that it's not a complete waste. I'm pleased with the other one tthough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter