I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

OK, here was my first attempts!
The 2nd one was a 50/50 shirt and the 1st one was 100% cotton. There was a HUGE difference in how the colors came out (dull vs. very crisp and vibrant)
The one where the Mickey ears look like a heart...that one needed more rubber bands around the Mickey ears! Lesson learned. Thes pics were after I rinsed, but before I washed them. I think I may outline the 'heart' one with rhinestones so that it's not a complete waste. I'm pleased with the other one tthough.

Very nice for your first time :thumbsup2 Yes, the 50/50 is just no good tie dye, the other shirt you can fix it with the stones or with fabric marker, or bleach pen.
Great job, your spiral looks nice and not a lot of white :cheer2:
Now you know, more rubber bands and really thigh.

Thanks for sharing! :yay:

I only washed my shirts one time. Do I need to wash them again before wearing them or adding on the diamonds for my girls (my 5 yr old keeps asking about adding the diamonds!)

I only washed my shirts one time. Do I need to wash them again before wearing them or adding on the diamonds for my girls (my 5 yr old keeps asking about adding the diamonds!)

One time is enough. After washing and drying them, go ahead and iron them and add the stones.
How they turned out? :yay:

I posted on the arts and crafts section and thought I would share here also.
Here are my shirts before I put them in the washer
20100131_0944.jpg

20100131_0945.jpg

Hi everybody! Just wanted to share my latest designs....

IMG_0900-1.jpg

Happy St. Patric's day Polo.

IMG_0903-1.jpg

Tank top.

IMG_0889.jpg

I made this tank top for a friend but I got too much white on it, I was worried that too much dye would messed up the design I had in mind so i didn't apply lot of dye. I love the way it looks but it bothers me so I going to re do it.

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

The back looks super and sexy too.

A boys 3 color combo polo...

IMG_0905.jpg

100% organic cotton polo, I used 3 different shades of blue.

IMG_0907-1.jpg

IMG_0908-1.jpg

Any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to help, and if you want to see more pics of these shirts you can view them in my album...

http://pbckt.com/sY.ii

http://pbckt.com/sY.dZ2

:cheer2:

PixieDust
I have noticed that your shirts tend to be a lot more vivid and brighter. Is that due to the dyes you use or just the 100% cotton factor or because of the technique..or maybe a combination of factors?
I am going to attempt to do four of them before a trip in May and I want to get ALL of my stuff together before making the attempt.

PixieDust
I have noticed that your shirts tend to be a lot more vivid and brighter. Is that due to the dyes you use or just the 100% cotton factor or because of the technique..or maybe a combination of factors?
I am going to attempt to do four of them before a trip in May and I want to get ALL of my stuff together before making the attempt.

It might be a combination of factors. I use of course 100% cotton, heavy cotton and organic cotton, the better the quality of the shirt the best it would look. Also I use dharma fabric reactive dye, its much better than the kits dye, except jacquard kits.

Have fun making your shirts. Make sure you get enough supplies for all your shirts to make them at once, dye varies depending of the mix lots, the colors might not be the same. Take your time, your trip is not until May so you have time.

:thumbsup2 Good Luck.

I saw someone did stitch and tink shirts. Where did you get the outline? I'd love to make these for our upcoming trip and my boys love stitch, and I love tink. Also can you get dye in many different colors? I'd love to make DH a camoflauge colored one. He's in Iraq right now, National Guard, and I think I could get him to agree with wearing one if its camo colored, but not sure if those colors are available. Thanks for any help.

I saw someone did stitch and tink shirts. Where did you get the outline? I'd love to make these for our upcoming trip and my boys love stitch, and I love tink. Also can you get dye in many different colors? I'd love to make DH a camoflauge colored one. He's in Iraq right now, National Guard, and I think I could get him to agree with wearing one if its camo colored, but not sure if those colors are available. Thanks for any help.

You can just print the shapes from the web.

The camo colors are Brown, dark green and black! :thumbsup2

Something you can also do that is MUCH easier is to print and cut out the shape. Order some tie dye shirts (including camo) from https://www.tiedyeusa.com/scripts/l...=showAll&frames=no&target=main&sponsor=000001. Go to the post office and get some priority mail boxes (the skinny ones) and put them inside the shirt (leave them flat, it's to protect the back). Mix 1 part bleach to 3 parts water in a fine mist spray bottle. Lay the shirt outside on a hard surface and place the cut-out shape. Lightly spritz around the shape, then carefully lift it off to not spill any bleach solution that may have puddled. Put the shirt in the wash within about 5-10 minutes. I use a product called "Bleach Stop", but I understand that vinegar works OK, too. It makes a very cool shirt with a lot less hassle than the tie dye process (believe me, I know ;) ) This is obviously not something little kids can do (bleach), but they can help place the shapes or even cut them out. We always get lots of comments on ours.

Something you can also do that is MUCH easier is to print and cut out the shape. Order some tie dye shirts (including camo) from https://www.tiedyeusa.com/scripts/l...=showAll&frames=no&target=main&sponsor=000001. Go to the post office and get some priority mail boxes (the skinny ones) and put them inside the shirt (leave them flat, it's to protect the back). Mix 1 part bleach to 3 parts water in a fine mist spray bottle. Lay the shirt outside on a hard surface and place the cut-out shape. Lightly spritz around the shape, then carefully lift it off to not spill any bleach solution that may have puddled. Put the shirt in the wash within about 5-10 minutes. I use a product called "Bleach Stop", but I understand that vinegar works OK, too. It makes a very cool shirt with a lot less hassle than the tie dye process (believe me, I know ;) ) This is obviously not something little kids can do (bleach), but they can help place the shapes or even cut them out. We always get lots of comments on ours.

Oh that sounds easy for the tink and stitch shirts. Do you have any pictures of the shirts you did this way? I'd love to see them. I know for sure we are going to do the Mickey ones ourselves, my kids love to tie dye, but for the extra shirts I wouldn't be opposed to something easier!:blush:

IMG_0889.jpg

I LOVE THIS!!

Did you use the basic technique from page #1 of this thread?

How did you get the MM head so pink and keep so much white around it?

Where your pink and purple colors are, is the design like that because of where you put your rubberbands?

Once you have if rubberbanded, you just die each section with a different color die?

Sorry to ask so many questions, trying to get brave enough to try this.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter