Invasion of the Millionaires!

Actually, I thought this thread was pretty much over anyways, it didn't really matter either way.

How about we all go have a drink at Crockett's Tavern...lol ;)

If you are there with your parents in late jan or early feb I will be in the rocking chairs with the fellas and our refillable mugs at 7:30am....;)

I was visiting the campground that weekend the Prevost's were there and enjoyed looking at them. I was not offended that they blocked off a loop for their rally, but i will be offended if they are still there in June when I show up for my annual 3 month extended stay!:rotfl2:

Just had to add that i thought the coaches were beautiful. We did not see very many as they were actually pulling out Friday night and by the time we made it back on saturday, they were pretty much gone.

If you are there with your parents in late jan or early feb I will be in the rocking chairs with the fellas and our refillable mugs at 7:30am....;)

Well, the only time we visit with my parents is in November during Thanksgiving, that's our annual family trip. We take other trips with our moms during the year (Dad can only handle one trip a year...hah), but those normally aren't at Fort Wilderness. We now average about 6-8 trips a year, normally 2 of those are at the Fort. Not sure if we'll be there at that time, most of our trips end up being "you want go to Disney next weekend/next month? Sure, ok, let's go"....lol.

My brother and I grew up with my parents taking us to Disney (ahh, the good old days of 2 week Fort Wilderness trips back in the 70's and 80's....lol), now I make sure I invite them almost every time we go, it's only fair!

We only have two "planned" trips throughout the year. One is on or around November 11-13th, whenever the last weekend of the Food and Wine festival is. That is a GREAT weekend at Disney, they have the F&W wrapping up (CANNOT miss that), there is the Downtown Disney Art Show going on (all of Downtown Disney turns into a big folk art festival), and not that we care about this one, but it's Super Soap Weekend at MGM (sometime it's funny just to watch everyone go crazy over all the soap opera "stars"....lol). Then our annual week long Thanksgiving trip to the Fort, although this year it's actually 12 days long! woohoo!

However, the last few years my wife and I have gone in February at some time, so I'll be sure to let you know whenever the "Who's going in February" thread comes around...lol. February is a great month to go, because it's one of the last months that you can pretty much "assume" that you're going to have some cold weather. Nothing is better than the Fort in cold weather!

Ok, I must not have anything to do at work, cause I wrote a lot more than I needed to...heh

Hey Colson39 isn't Thanksgiving a great time at the fort. My DD and I have been going that weekend since 04 and now it's a tradition. I already booked this year back in October of last year.

I prefer the 900 loop I guess because it's so close to the pool and Meadows. Maybe this year we can meet up with some fellow dis'ers.

Donnie

Hey Colson39 isn't Thanksgiving a great time at the fort. My DD and I have been going that weekend since 04 and now it's a tradition. I already booked this year back in October of last year.

I prefer the 900 loop I guess because it's so close to the pool and Meadows. Maybe this year we can meet up with some fellow dis'ers.

Donnie

Yea, to me, it's the best time to be at the Fort! We didn't originally start going at Thanksgiving, we would just go sometime in November. We first started that back around 2000 I believe. I believe it was around the same time, about 2003-2004, that we started going every year at Thanksgiving, and now we HAVE to go at Thanksgiving every year! It also helps that my wife and I both have the 4 days already off for Thanksgiving (my parents are both retired), so we don't have to take tons of vacation time for it.

We spend all day on Thanksgiving making an entire meal in the fifth wheel, we cook the turkey outside in a roaster oven that we have (this is from last year):

208887316.jpg

Normally some of us will leave around noon and head to one of the parks for a bit (normally the Magic Kingdom, as crazy as it is), and then head back to the camper around 4 or so. Around 5 we'll eat (although sometimes earlier), and 45 minutes of gorging ourselves in Fort Wilderness, let me just tell you it's time to relax! Of course, except for those of us few that head over to Crockett's for an after dinner drink :drinking1

Since you were there last year, I bet you remember how cold it was. Not sure how soon before Thanksgiving you got there, we were there the Monday before, and that Monday/Tuesday night was FREEZING! That was also the night it snowed in Orlando. Saw lots of people bundled up in the Fort, and for some reason didn't see too many people walking in the morning ;)

We stayed in Jack Rabbit Run, loop 800 this past Thanksgiving. I have to say, this is our favorite loop in the past decade at least. Lots of big open spaces (we were backed up to the canal/dog walk, had tons of room on both sides, one of the most spacious sites we've ever had). We actually had driven through loop 800 in Thanksgiving 2005, and had forgotten how spacious it was back in there (plus we bring our dog Josey, so we need a pet loop).

208886422.jpg

The comfort stations can be a bit of a walk (at least on a cold morning/night), depending on where you're situated, but overall, it's a great loop!

Colson the first time we stayed at FW we got the 800 loop. It was way in the back on the left side if you're looking from the front of the loop. Luckily we have a tt so we don't need the comfort station even though I have used them before instead of waiting for the HW heater to warm up.

I have met a lot of people who are veteran FW goers but you take the cake lol. I wish I had found it years ago. I did stay there on 1981 with my uncle and his family in the tent loop. We go about 4 times a year and that's still not enough for me.

Colson the first time we stayed at FW we got the 800 loop. It was way in the back on the left side if you're looking from the front of the loop. Luckily we have a tt so we don't need the comfort station even though I have used them before instead of waiting for the HW heater to warm up.

I have met a lot of people who are veteran FW goers but you take the cake lol. I wish I had found it years ago. I did stay there on 1981 with my uncle and his family in the tent loop. We go about 4 times a year and that's still not enough for me.

lol, what do you mean? There are people that have been to the Fort way before I was ever there, or do you just mean my passion for the place? lol.

And yea, we were in the same exact place, back on the left side if you're looking from the front of the loop, were you on the side with the canal or on the inner part of the loop?

Yea, we didn't need the comfort station either per se, but the "ladies" like to use the comfort station while us guys like to use the shower inside the camper (my parents own a 36 foot fifth wheel, can't remember the brand, but it's a 2006, love that thing, it has a fireplace in it! Well, a heat controlled fireplace...lol).

The girls find it easier for doing their hair and all that jazz, plus my wife has long hair and says it's a pain trying to wash it in the shower (I'm 6'2 and I fit fine, I don't know what her problem is....lol).

In fact, I don't even mind using the comfort station from time to time, it's always such a nice walk, they're always clean, and you get a lot more water pressure than from the camper.

Anyway, we enter the 1600 loop to find that every single site is occupied by a million dollar plus Prevost motor home. Every site. Each rig bigger and more beautiful than the next. What is this all about?TCD

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:
How dare you call them a motor home, don't you folks know that these are motor coaches :rolleyes:

A few years back we stayed at FW in my in-laws pop-up. The Marathon Club (Marathon customizes Prevost's) had taken over a loop at FW. What I found a little pretentious was that the club members all wore fancy little marathon buttons around everywhere.

While biking through the loop, one of my kids told one of theMarathon owners that their camper was cool, that's when we were informed that this was no mere camper, but a motor coach.

http://www.marathoncoach.com/

put your flames away...heck, if I could afford one of these, I'd love to have one....I'm still trying to get my in-laws to upgrade from their pop-up to a Prevost ;)

I'd rather have my 5er, its almost paid for.......:goodvibes

I enjoy being in the same resort with only a 1/100th of the cost...:rotfl:

All this talk of group camps and all begs the question, why not a Disboard rally ????? Talk amongst yourselves.

Scott

It's amazing the things you find when you read old posts :-) Is this the first glimmer of suggestion of our GGs??????

GEEEEEEEEEBUS Carol, are you that bored?:rotfl2:

Not really. This thread was linked to a new thread, and I just started scanning through it :-)

Plus, once Survivor is over, Wed night TV is pretty bad.

KFK and I take great offence at this thread, being millionaires ourselves.

We can’t help it being priviledged… :lmao:

Actually my collar could not be any bluer.

Don't hate me because I drive a Prevost.
The one I drive is off white and has about 40 seats, and I can squeeze in over 70 Fiend friends. No bathroom though.

Carol-

Thanks for bumping up this old thread.:thumbsup2

Very entertaining!

IIRC this was the best thread of 2007- and one of TCD's first investigative journalism pieces.

It is amusing that it was at one point locked.

And, things were not really all that heated.

Also, I especially liked reading the Stacktester/Colson39 bro-mance exchange at the top of this page! :rotfl2:

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter