Is anyone else worried about opening up again

Locally we’ve already had a few businesses open up against orders. They where confronted politely by police and then agreed to shut back down, but what happens when one of them decides to politely decline. I wonder will the state or city be willing to forcefully arrest them? Then what happens when they’ve decided to stand up? I mean with friends and supporters. I’m sorry but their are businesses and workers that stayed home and haven’t received any help in the form of stimulus or SBA loans. Some of us also don’t qualify for unemployment being self employed. So what’s the plan? Stay home till when?
I’m considered essential but my businesses has definitely been affected. Dropped off by somewhere around 70%.

I'm starting to think it's going to be a real mess trying to schedule any sort of medical procedure once things start opening back up. I can't even imagine having to sit around with something that needed to be biopsied all this time.
Thankfully, I'm not rescheduled until next year for one and fall for the other. Maybe, I will get lucky...again.

That is absolutely incorrect. The Atlanta Mayor did NOT override Kemp's decision. She doesn't agree with it, but she can't override it. A lot of those businesses are opening tomorrow.
You are right - in that example she said that she can't override his orders. I hope too many people don't die there as a result.

I didn't read all the interim drama on this thread, but my answer to this question is YES - I am really worried about opening up again. I'm in Va where our governor is a physician, and I think the guidelines he's set have been very much evidence-based and safe. But - we are so close to some of the states that are opening way, way too early (SC and GA) and I worry that folks from those states will travel up and down the east coast and destroy the great job Virginia has done of flattening the curve. We are under social distancing orders until June 10th here, and based on yesterday's data it looks like that's a reasonable date if things stay the way they are in my state. I really, really don't want to be in this house longer than that - and I don't want people to die unnecessarily!

I have read some places are open in GA and some are waiting it out for a few more weeks.

With the storm damage in some areas, it’s a mess for them

Last edited:
I agree - we need to open back up the states when possible, but when we are past the curve. That means different dates for different states based on many factors. But the "flatten the curve" goal was not the only goal. We were also buying time to prepare better testing so we could implement contact tracing once we opened things back up. Not sure we are there yet. Hopefully we are close enough that we are there in a few weeks when we start opening states back up.

Contact tracing is a fairytale in the US. Have you read how they do it in Korea? It’s not feasible here at all, mainly due to privacy concerns and people leery (myself included!) of government overreach.

The vulnerable will be better protected by herd immunity. Otherwise we’ll just be playing whack a mole with the virus for years.

Contact tracing is a fairytale in the US. Have you read how they do it in Korea? It’s not feasible here at all, mainly due to privacy concerns and people leery (myself included!) of government overreach.

The vulnerable will be better protected by herd immunity. Otherwise we’ll just be playing whack a mole with the virus for years.
Then the economy is screwed.🤷‍♂️

Herd immunity??? Really. You mean let people get it or have a vaccine which we don't have yet and won't for quite a while, so you mean let people get it and the ones that are weaker or older, or have some issues die? Really? That is how I understand we get herd immunity. Is there another way I am not aware of??? That's better than "government overreach? Come on

Herd immunity??? Really. You mean let people get it or have a vaccine which we don't have yet and won't for quite a while, so you mean let people get it and the ones that are weaker or older, or have some issues die? Really? That is how I understand we get herd immunity. Is there another way I am not aware of???

You got it.

Also our population is way way bigger than south korea.

Herd immunity??? Really. You mean let people get it or have a vaccine which we don't have yet and won't for quite a while, so you mean let people get it and the ones that are weaker or older, or have some issues die? Really? That is how I understand we get herd immunity. Is there another way I am not aware of??? That's better than "government overreach? Come on

You can still protect the elderly and the vulnerable. You don't need 100% of a population to get the virus to gain herd immunity. Even 50% helps because those people don't pass it on anymore, theoretically. But yes, a virus needs to run through the population to go away. Welding the entire world into their homes for weeks would also work, but it's not going to happen.

Viruses are a natural population control. The world population is over 7B right now. If the 1918 pandemic, Bubonic Plague, etc never happened how many would we have now including all their progeny? As long as the hospitals are able to treat the sick then society is doing their part to help, but every life is not meant to be saved from this.

You can still protect the elderly and the vulnerable. You don't need 100% of a population to get the virus to gain herd immunity. Even 50% helps because those people don't pass it on anymore, theoretically. But yes, a virus needs to run through the population to go away. Welding the entire world into their homes for weeks would also work, but it's not going to happen.

Viruses are a natural population control. The world population is over 7B right now. If the 1918 pandemic, Bubonic Plague, etc never happened how many would we have now including all their progeny? As long as the hospitals are able to treat the sick then society is doing their part to help, but every life is not meant to be saved from this.

Well stated. We need to in the best way possible work towards herd immunity, which will even help when/IF a vaccine comes because then we can focus the first round of dosages to the vulnerable and ones that never got it (since by then hopefully the anti body testing will be better), its gonna take a long time to vaccinate everyone.

As long as it’s not you or your family, right?

As long as it’s not you or your family, right?

No, I’m very pragmatic about this. My husband calls it lacking compassion, but what have you. Objectively, if I died, or my mother, or my children, it’s not a tragedy. Personally, I would be devastated, but the truth is if we died from this it’s because our bodies couldn’t fight off the virus at that time. I could also get skin cancer from going to the beach or hit by a car while running, but I stll do those things. I take precautions of course, but not to the extreme of not living life.

And exactly how would you stop it from affecting the elderly or more vulnerable????? Unless we have a vaccine WHICH WE DON'T. Now you think this is good to decrease the excess population????? Are you saying that with a straight face. Many of us have people we love who have some health issues. One block from my house they had a gathering, which I find ironic bc we really should not gather right now, for a NYC police officer who died from the virus just a week or so back. I have many people I know who have varying degrees of issues and all are varying degrees of ages also. You remind me of the line from A Christmas Carol by Dickens when Scrooge says, let them die and decrease the excess population. Omg he is the bad guy you know.

I believe in when it’s your time to go it’s your time. Nothing you can do will avoid it. I do not want to stop living and merely exist until we find a vaccine. I lived a life of just existing Growing up in extreme poverty, and I would rather take my chances with this virus than go back to that (living in extreme poverty due to job loss, losing my insurance, not being able to feed my kids, etc)

I also work in a hospital so I do understand the virus.

So this study would seem to indicate that opening up might not be nearly as dangerous as many think. Especially if services can be done outside. Outdoor church, outdoor dining, etc.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

I’m trying to imagine how this would work in my area......
Churches would happen in parking lots and restaurants would serve customers sitting on the streets.
Eh, I don’t know how that would be feasible.

Well stated. We need to in the best way possible work towards herd immunity, which will even help when/IF a vaccine comes because then we can focus the first round of dosages to the vulnerable and ones that never got it (since by then hopefully the anti body testing will be better), its gonna take a long time to vaccinate everyone.
Why would it take a long time, and how long are you thinking it will likely take?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter