• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is clothing required on your verandah?

I was just posting the question wondering if there was actually a policy/rule on this after witnessing that incident on the Carnival Magic sail off. So I take it that answer is no, and the general consensus here seems to be; it's ok to be sans clothing on your verandah when out at sea, but not ok to being having sex on your verandah.

The reality of it though is that once the ship pulls off from the gangways there's no way of knowing at that point what is going on. The Carnival Magic is down in Puerto Rico now and no one on that ship, except possibly this guy's cabinmate(s), if any, knows he was sailing right by all the restaurants at PC totally naked on Saturday, yet a few hundred on shore I'm sure saw but nothing they can do about it but laugh.

And maybe you don't need to blame victims. Yes children who are exposed to sexual acts are victims and you could be charged with a crime. Remember that before pointing fingers. Children are curious. Thankfully, mine are old enough to be warned but try telling a 3 or 4 year old not to do something.
The victim would be the person that had a reasonable expectation of privacy, being on a balcony in open waters allows for that. Also, having a child peak around the wall divider is much more dangerous, especially on a verandah. At any age a child should be looked after especially on a verandah. At most ages they would have to stand on a chair in order to look around the divider. A child accidentally seeing something is not a crime. The parent for not watching the child is the crime.

Now this is all based on thinking this would be a midship verandah where someone reasonably would believe they had privacy.

JW

And maybe you don't need to blame victims. Yes children who are exposed to sexual acts are victims and you could be charged with a crime. Remember that before pointing fingers. Children are curious. Thankfully, mine are old enough to be warned but try telling a 3 or 4 year old not to do something.
How is a 3-4 year old going to be able to look onto another person's veranda. If they are doing that there is more to worry about than what the neighbours are doing. I'm 5'2" and have to lean to be able to see next door (and I've only done that on 2nd leg of B2B when no one has boarded). A young child should be supervised out there and certainly shouldn't be standing on a chair to see.
We sail midship deck 7 or 8. I expect my veranda to be private and that the neighbours aren't going to poke their heads around, no matter what age. Am I naked, or doing other things? Nope. But I still expect privacy, especially when sitting closer to the room than the railings. Am I offended that my neighbours might be naked? Nope. Not my business.
Now those extended verandas are not private. I wouldn't have the expectation of privacy there. Would I be offended if someone was naked on one of them? No and my kids wouldn't have been scarred for life if they saw someone naked. It wouldn't interest them.

It's actually quite easy on some of the verandas. The divider does not go all the way to the ground.

I bet every woman on this board has been in a public restroom and had a kid look under the stall door. It's the same thing.
Ok. Yet saying the action of the adults is of that of being a criminal. I think that's where I drew the line. Seeing someone naked and/or in the act where reasonable privacy is expected is not against the law. Forcing someone to do so is. Obviously that's not the case.

It's actually quite easy on some of the verandas. The divider does not go all the way to the ground.

I bet every woman on this board has been in a public restroom and had a kid look under the stall door. It's the same thing.

Yes, you don't have to try as hard as everyone's is making it sound to see into your neighbor's verandah . The dividers are not fused to the wall/ground. I'd say there is a gap all around, and as we all know, little kids are much more curious and observant than adults. The above restroom peeking is a perfect example. Heck, I've had kids stick there heads under the gap in the restroom (of course that gap is much greater).

I have no opinion on this myself, that's your decision if you choose to go au natural. But if I'm on my verandah and you decide to join the "verandah club ", could you please peek over and make sure my kids aren't out there, too?

Ok. Yet saying the action of the adults is of that of being a criminal. I think that's where I drew the line. Seeing someone naked and/or in the act where reasonable privacy is expected is not against the law. Forcing someone to do so is. Obviously that's not the case.

My post doesn't have any thing to say about adults being criminals. I'm just saying those verandas are very easy for a child to see into.

Well, here's one for those that feel it's okay to join the Verandah Club. I bet the neighbours can hear you. Sure, you may have a reasonable expectation of privacy, but sound carries very well. So if you were sitting next door to someone intent on making a souvenir, it might be uncomfortable, particularly if you have kids. Then again, if your kids are boisterous, it might be enough for the couple in the next verandah to rethink their hope of a souvenir. ;)

Well, here's one for those that feel it's okay to join the Verandah Club. I bet the neighbours can hear you. Sure, you may have a reasonable expectation of privacy, but sound carries very well. So if you were sitting next door to someone intent on making a souvenir, it might be uncomfortable, particularly if you have kids. Then again, if your kids are boisterous, it might be enough for the couple in the next verandah to rethink their hope of a souvenir. ;)

Excellent point! Heck, I've even been in a chair under an umbrella on Serenity Bay and heard...THAT...coming from the Cabanas. Trust me people, those are NOT that far from the beach and chairs for non-cabana people. And for that matter they aren't that far apart from each other.

Yep! I started typing this out actually. On one of my cruises, someone on a nearby verandah would smoke, and I could hear the click of his old school lighter before i could smell the smoke, and it made us really annoyed. So, yeah. you're probably not flying under the radar like you think you are.

Excellent point! Heck, I've even been in a chair under an umbrella on Serenity Bay and heard...THAT...coming from the Cabanas. Trust me people, those are NOT that far from the beach and chairs for non-cabana people. And for that matter they aren't that far apart from each other.

I wonder if some people think because it's called the 'adult beach' that it means it's ok? I don't really care about the naked thing so much, but I don't want to hear that.

Just another point of info. We've been talking so far about how easy it is or isn't to see your "next door" neighbor on the veranda, but there are also neighbors above and below. I like to look "straight down" when I am high up, for the view, not to see my neighbors, and I can tell you that when you look straight up or straight down, you can see others if they are near their railings. You'd have to be tall enough so that your head sticks above the railing, so maybe not 3 or 4 but the tweens certainly can look above and below if they wish.

Again, I'm not on either side here. I'm just speaking to what one can "expect."

They can just consider it payback for the door slamming and yelling that kids do early in the morning. Plus it is possible to be quiet, something the parents of littles will learn once they are parents of teens. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter