• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a DVC Resort you truly dislike?

I don't dislike any DVC, I just have preferences. Big Hotel like accommodations remind me of work, so I prefer the DVCs with smaller clusters where you can be in the fresh air quickly (no long corridors). I prefer the Disney Hotels the same way, preferring Poly, Port Orleans and the Values over the others.

We don't dislike any of the resorts that we have stayed in so far, we have stayed at BLT, SSR, BCV, and VGC. Each one of them has their own unique quality. There are a couple resorts that we will stay at but probably once we stayed at the others at least once, and those include THV and OKW. My DH would stay at THV in a heartbeat but I personally am not into it and as for OKW, the grounds look beautiful but we own at SSR and stay there, and they both kind of are like the same to me (the vastness of it)....however, if we wanted to save on points and stay in a larger unit, then we would probably stay at OKW :goodvibes.

So far the only DVC resort that I can say that we don't care for is OKW, and that is based solely on the rooms. We stayed there for one night during our trip last month, and was very unimpressed. I do have to say that we really liked the common areas and the overall feel and theming of the resort, but I just couldn't like the rooms. Maybe we were expecting too much after reading about the recent refurbs, but I honestly couldn't tell that there had been anything done, especially in the bathroom. I also didn't care for the layout of the room in general.

In the words of Sly and the Family Stone, "Different Strokes for different folks!" I dislike BLT-it's just too cold, sterile for me. I can't see myself ever staying there. The first time DH ever walked into BWV, he said "Don't EVER make me stay here!" For him it was just too busy, bustling. If he had his way, he'd stay at OKW every trip.

In the words of Sly and the Family Stone, "Different Strokes for different folks!" I dislike BLT-it's just too cold, sterile for me. I can't see myself ever staying there. The first time DH ever walked into BWV, he said "Don't EVER make me stay here!" For him it was just too busy, bustling. If he had his way, he'd stay at OKW every trip.

Exactly!!! Differing opinions are inevitable and I for one have enjoyed reading them! Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

There are none that I dislike.
Haven't stayed at treehouse villas though.

I have my fav's. My least fav is probably SSR....but I do like that resort because I can walk to DTD and take a bus to any resort for dinner from DTD.

With that said....I was ecstatic to be able to snag a room last month at SSR for the very popular xmas week.:cool1:

I waitlisted Wilderness Lodge....ahem...good luck with that I know:rolleyes1
But I do appreciate SSR as seemingly available when I need a room last minute at a popular time. I got lucky.....I think I snagged the last room as it has not been available since....ahem somewhat of a website room availability stalker:cool2:
Anyhoo.....I love my DVC...and I can find positives at all the resorts.
My heart is at Wilderness though and I am happy it is my home resort. Dosen't matter though unless you book 11mos out:lmao:
Kerri

While I would stay again because of the location only: BLT... The bugs, The rooms, Do not understand why people need to shirtless on the balcony sorta felt like a scene from Melrose Place... I could make a longer list...
Also no desire to stay at BCV and lastly BWV but would also stay there again
I like a more relaxed resort away from the theme parks... This is something Poly and GF do well although they are so close... happy they is soon to be some DVC and maybe someday will stay there again if they are available when we go.

While we enjoyed OKW several times, we don't stay there any more because for some reason DH becomes violently ill with his allergies there. Doesn't happen at any other resort. Sick to the point that he cannot function. I think it may have something to do with the ventilation system or mold. Not an option for us any more.

Simba's Mom said:

We thought the same as you about BLT. However, we needed one more day to fill out a last minute trip for Food and Wine last year and a night was available for a BLT studio so we booked it. We enjoyed our stay and would not mind being there again if we had the opportunity. The latter part of our stay at was at SSR and that was a pleasant resort too. We came away from that trip with the opinion that we still like our home resorts best, but would be perfectly happy staying at any of the others if they were available.

Sent from my phone. Big Deal :P

I have only “stayed” at a handful of DVC resorts thus far, as I am a relatively new member. However, I’ve been to and have spent a decent amount of time exploring them all (except for the non-WDW location resorts). I’m not sure if it’s fair to judge a resort until you actually stay there, but I have developed preconceived notions of them all, nonetheless.

I’ve had a chip on my shoulder about BLT since it opened, as I never felt the resort “fit” the skyline. I thought it detracted from the look of the Contemporary, and almost appeared to be an afterthought. However, I must admit that after staying there in a 1-bedroom lake view w/ a glance at MK, I was hooked. I didn’t think I would ever enjoy the “cold”, contemporary decor, but it turns out that I loved it. And being able to walk to MK was a huge perk for me. Also loved venturing up to TOTWL for a drink after a long day in the parks. My opinion changed so much, BLT is probably the leading contender for my next add-on. Just goes to show that judging a resort before staying there is a good way to sell it short.

I’ve also had pre-conceived notions about SSR. It does appear to be “apartment-complexy” and way too spread out. Nonetheless, after my experience with BLT, I’m going to give this one “a go” next week. There seems to be a large number of people who had the same feelings towards the resort before staying there, but have changed their opinion after a stay. I’m hoping the same turns out to be true for me.

For me, AKV doesn’t do a whole lot, mainly due to the remote location. I absolutely love the main lodge, the pool and the restaurants (Boma is a must on every trip). However, the location is just a downer for me, unless I had a rental car, which since the advent of DME, I seldom do. AK is my least-traveled park (usually only one day per trip), so this is partly why the location is such a negative for me. Also, looking out at the Savannah does very little for me. I really don’t think staying at this resort will change my opinion, as my dislikes (location, savannah) are things that cannot be changed or overcome.

VWL is my home away from home. This will always be my favorite, unless the second stages of Poly DVC turn out to be something really special. The MK resorts are my favorite, GF included, so I’m sure that I will enjoy VGF. I also enjoy the EPCOT area resorts, so I am excited for the time to come for stays at BWV and BCV.

Didnt care for the Wilderness Lodge. The inside lobby is lovely but I think our stay got ruined by the CM checking us in. We got there a bit early and he said our room wasnt ready, No problem there, but we said we would take whatever is available and he insisted that we didnt want that and that our room had a spectacular view and there was no way we wanted to miss out. So we stored our bags and went to the parks we came back to a room a few hours later that overlooked the corner of a roof and a tree branch. I called down and asked if this was the correct room we were told yes. DW and I just laughed and said if this is what the Cast feels is a spectacular view we go hugely different tastes. Plus there were way too many bugs for our liking at night. Yes I know its Wilderness for a reason but it just wasnt our cup of tea.

I don't dislike any, but the lowest on my list is BWV, parking and bus service STINK.

Didnt care for the Wilderness Lodge. The inside lobby is lovely but I think our stay got ruined by the CM checking us in. We got there a bit early and he said our room wasnt ready, No problem there, but we said we would take whatever is available and he insisted that we didnt want that and that our room had a spectacular view and there was no way we wanted to miss out. So we stored our bags and went to the parks we came back to a room a few hours later that overlooked the corner of a roof and a tree branch. I called down and asked if this was the correct room we were told yes. DW and I just laughed and said if this is what the Cast feels is a spectacular view we go hugely different tastes. Plus there were way too many bugs for our liking at night. Yes I know its Wilderness for a reason but it just wasnt our cup of tea.

There is a good chance that the room that the CM put you in was taken by someone else before you came back from the park.

:earsboy: Bill

No. There are no resorts that I truly dislike. I would never pass up an opportunity to stay at any of them, but I do have my favorites. DH might say that he dislikes BCV, but I would never say that as I like the pool and the closeness to Epcot although I prefer BWV.

Before this weekend I would have said No... However I was not impressed with Treehouse Villas at all. Minimal parking. Reminded me of a cabin in Northern Michigan (Not a fan of rustic decor)... Did not like the inconvenience of the front desk being at SSR. Not one I would try to book again.

What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

While I agree about the minor pain in the rump being so isolated, I'm not sure what you expected. :confused3 The pictures are quite easy to find and I'm sure you didn't just book w/o looking at them and a map of the grounds. I'm not usually a cabin type girl as I live in MN and did my "stint" growing up in cabins for "vacation". But I knew what they looked like and were far before I booked and I knew they were cabin-like but AWESOME cabin w/o the outhouse! :eek::rotfl:
Anyway, you absolutely are entitled to not like them. ;) I just thought your reasonings strange.

Though on a related theme, before becoming DVC members, we did stay at the WL and THAT felt too cabin-y to me. :scratchin

As for resorts I don't like... not yet from the villas we've stayed in (BLT, ALV, BCV, and the THVs at SS). The BLT studio lake side was WAY too small for my taste.
I can't say that we've been all that jazzed to try BWV honestly, because of that creepy clown pool. :rolleyes1 And I guess, based on my previous commentary, we won't be trying the villas at WL either.

I think they all start to look better as the landscaping grows up around the resort. SSR looked "golfcourse-ish" at first. But now the landscaping is growing up so nicely, it is looking lush. AKV-KV looked like a prison at first, but, again, landscaping is growing and it looks less so. OKW has them all beat because it has been there the longest, so the trees are bigger and fuller.

I just wish VB was built on the Gulf Coast instead of the Atlantic Coast.

We have stayed at all except Hilton Head and Aulani. SSR is our least favorite--definitely did not like the distance or the bus routes--even DTD was not convenient to get to.
Next least favorite is BLT (even that is one of our 5 home resorts). The high rise condo feel as mentioned and the narrow hallways make me feel closed in.
Favorites are BWV, WLV and BCV-- proximity to Epcot and HS...and MK for the Wilderness--love the smallness of the lodge.
OKW - very relaxing and laid back, enjoy the boat to DTD, but don't like having to bus everywhere else.
Vero Beach - nice and relaxing and good kids' activities, but beach dirty. Spoiled by the Gulf's beaches.

So the boat ride from OKW is more enjoyable to DTD than the one from SSR? I guess it depends which part of SSR you are staying in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter