It's our "Last" Trip to WDW, so we're going DELUXE! *We're Back After 11 Days in WDW*

cdotla

Trish
This is a trip born of compromise.

A struggle of wills between a bona fide Disney fanatic and a spouse eager to strike out on new adventures.

In the end, Disney won. But the deal was sealed with a promise....that our next family vacation would involve expanding our horizons and setting off on holidays where the code on our luggage tags wasn't going to read "MCO".

The jury was out on exactly long it would be before we would be getting back to Walt Disney World.

So I knew this trip had to be a good one.

IMG_9252-1.jpg

The primary planner of the trip will be me, Trish. I am the seasoned WDW veteran of the family, having travelled to WDW countless times while growing up, starting with my first trip in 1977 at 4 years old.

Since May of 2007, when my husband and I took our 1st family trip with the kids (then ages 2 and 4), I have been back 6 times for various trips, including family vacations, business trips and trips with girlfriends. Plus, I also took my first ever trip to Disneyland in September last year!

Also travelling is my husband, Chris, the (hopefully) soon-to-be Disney Convert. Chris was introduced to WDW late in life when I took him to the Parks for his first trip in 1998 for the opening of Animal Kingdom. Since then, he has been back only 2 other times for trips with our kids in 2007 and 2008.

Next up is Katie, age 6, who has already been to WDW 4 times.

IMG_9949-1.jpg

And finally, we have Declan, age 4, who will be making his 3rd trip to WDW.

IMG_9165-1.jpg

Also along for the ride will be my mother-in-law Carol, who will be coming to the Parks for her 1st ever trip to Walt Disney World! Her last visit to a Disney Park was almost 40 years ago when she took a family trip to Disneyland.

I hope that you will join us as we countdown to our May Disney Holiday!

"I Need Not One, but Two DVC timeshare trades...and, oh yeah, my preference is the Beach Club!"

From the moment the plans for this trip were first hatched, I knew this trip had to be a good one. Afterall, there was no guarantee exactly when we would be returning.

First on the planning agenda was scoring a Disney DVC unit for a week. The catch was that we were trying to trade into DVC using RCI timeshare points. And we would need not only a 1 Bedroom, but also a Studio during the exact same week!

We had previously tried to trade into Disney a couple years back, this time through Interval International. And we crashed and burned everytime. Didn't seem to matter which Disney resort we tried (we tried for all of them), which week we tried (we tried a lot!), or which year we tried (we tried in 2007 and in 2008). We simply could not get on Disney property through a timeshare trade with Interval International.

As a result, in 2007 we ended up at Mystic Dunes. And in 2008 we ended up at the Marriott Horizons. Both were fabulous. Highly recommend either. But they weren't Disney. And by now I knew that if we couldn't get a trade onto Disney property, we would be booking a cash reservation. Because staying off property, especially given that it was our "last" trip, simply wasn't an option.

With the lack of luck in 2007 and 2008 (heck, we couldn't even get a studio at SSR in value season!), I certainly wasn't hopeful of scoring a trade. While I would have taken a trade at any Disney property, the Beach Club Villas were my hands-down 1st choice. Ever since I had stayed at the sister property, the Yacht Club a couple years ago for a conference, I was determined to bring my family back here to enjoy Stormalong Bay and the beauty and convenience of these resorts. And I was completely expecting to have to pay cash to do so.

Well, imagine my surprise when I was able to secure not only a 1 Bedroom, but also a Studio at the same Disney property during the exact week in May that we wanted to travel! And not only that....we were going to be at the BEACH CLUB VILLAS!!!

BeachClub.jpg

(Photo -Walt Disney Company)

Beach-Club-Resort1.jpg

(Photo by Corey Martin of the Disboards)

The Disney gods were surely shining down upon us. Even after I had the email confirmation from RCI, I didn't trust that the reservations had actually been made until I called DVC for confirmation. And low and behold, we were actually on the books! Whooo hoooo!!!

Next up was booking airfares....when another healthy dose of pixie dust conspired to turn our one week vacation into 11 whole days with the Mouse!!!

Catching up with the Aussies & the Brits: How our one week Trip turned into an 11 day Vacation with the Mouse

When you are married to someone who spends the greater part of their workday in airports, the draw of a direct flight simply can't be overstated.

And really, that is the only way I can explain how someone who initially had to be arm-twisted into agreeing to yet another family vacation with the Mouse decided that our week-long trip would be turned into an 11 day Walt Disney World vacation.

After learning that we could travel on direct flights to and from Orlando if we left a day early and came home a day late, I knew this trip was getting off to a good start. Sure enough, DH ultimately decided that in order to avoid an extra 3-4 hours in planes and airports each way, we would be extending our trip a couple days. Which now meant we would be spending 11 days with the Mouse. My longest trip ever on WDW property!

While we may not quite be on par with the Brits and the Aussies, we were certainly getting close! And this sure was a far cry from the 4-5 day trips I had been taking the past few years.

The only slight "problem" was that we would be forced to change rooms not once, but two times during our stay since we had to add days onto both the front and back of our trip in order to secure direct flights. However, I chose to turn this into a positive by booking two different resorts for our extra nights, figuring that if we had to move anyway, we might as well enjoy some varied experiences at a couple of different resorts.

So where exactly are we going to be staying???

First Night: The Contemporary

Since Katie would be turning 7 the day before we left for Orlando, we decided to let her choose where we would be staying the first night. Without hesitation her Resort of choice was the Contemporary. My hands-down favourite Resort on property for room decor and styling.

WDW-Mar2009154.jpg

WDW-Mar2009155.jpg

WDW-Mar2009157.jpg

Katie and I had stayed at the Contemporary on a short trip last year. While we spent a couple nights in the Garden wing, we were fortunate enough on our last night to obtain an upgrade to a Tower, Magic Kingdom view. And it was wonderful!!!

Classic example of Disney marketing at its best. Because after staying in the Contemporary Tower, Magic Kingdom view, you really don't want to go back to anything else!

MKview.jpg

(Photo: CR Fan 4 Life)

I have wonderful memories during our trip last year of working on my laptap out on the balcony late at night, breathing in the balmy Florida air, watching the sights and listening to the sounds of the Magic Kingdom into the wee hours of the morning while Katie was sound asleep in the room.

This year I have plans of kicking off our family's first night in WDW by watching Wishes from our balcony, putting the kids to bed, and experiencing once again the late night sights and sounds of the Magic Kingdom out on our balcony while enjoying a glass of wine with my husband. And this time there won't be a laptop in sight!

Nights 2-9: Beach Club Villas

While I had the good fortune of staying at the Yacht Club for a conference a few years ago, and Katie & I enjoyed spending time in this area on past trips, my husband and son have never before set foot in the Crescent Lake area! And I simply can't wait to introduce them to it.

IMG_9549.jpg

WDW-Mar2009229.jpg

And don't even get me started about Stormalong Bay, baby!!!

Final Night: The Polynesian

Last, but certainly not least, we will be spending our final night at WDW at the Polynesian. My overall favourite Resort in all of WDW!

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Admittedly, I have a strong sentimental attachment to this Resort, as it is where I was first introduced to Walt Disney World back in 1977. Before I stood on Main Street, USA, or witnessed Cinderella's Castle for the first time, I walked into the Polynesian Resort and found a true paradise inside with all of its unique sights, sounds and smells. I love the fact that while the Resort has been modernized, all of the great things that makes the Resort "the Polynesian" have remained unchanged.

My family typically spends time at the Poly every trip. Kona is our favourite breakfast restaurant in all of WDW, and we love walking the beautiful grounds. However, while I recently stayed here once again while travelling with some girlfriends, this will be my family's first time staying at the Polynesian Resort.

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

I can't think of a better way to spend our last night on Disney property than an evening on the Beach at the Poly, watching Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant.

So there you have it...our entire Resort itinerary for our 11 day trip. Can't wait to tell you about all of the other things we have planned for our trip!

Next up: Dining DELUXE at Disney!!!

Given your title, I thought I'd sub in :yay:

What dates are you at BCV in May? My family and I will be there from 4 - 9 at POR and then 9 - 14 at BCV. (yes, I know...I'm reinforcing the stereotype of Brits and Aussie long holiday'ers.) :laughing:

Wow what luck, Great for you guys.

Can't wait to hear more. Subbing :goodvibes

Thanks! Glad to have you on board!:goodvibes

Given your title, I thought I'd sub in :yay:

What dates are you at BCV in May? My family and I will be there from 4 - 9 at POR and then 9 - 14 at BCV. (yes, I know...I'm reinforcing the stereotype of Brits and Aussie long holiday'ers.) :laughing:

Yes - we will definitely be overlapping! I have joined you on your PTR and look forward to seeing you in May!:)

Also Subbing! We're going to be there the first week in May. If you'll be there for Cinco de Mayo, some of us are meeting at La Cava del Tequila at noon. My kids are just a bit older than yours (DD7 and DS4) and I'm sure they'd love to see other kids!

Also Subbing! We're going to be there the first week in May. If you'll be there for Cinco de Mayo, some of us are meeting at La Cava del Tequila at noon. My kids are just a bit older than yours (DD7 and DS4) and I'm sure they'd love to see other kids!

Wow! Thanks for posting...I had never even heard of Cinco de Mayo.
As luck would have it, we were already going to be in Epcot on May 5th, which is actually my birthday, so of course we are going to my favourite Park!:goodvibes

For those of you, like me, who haven't heard of Cinco de Mayo, here is a description, courtesy of Mousesavers:

Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo (5th of May) is a celebration of Mexican heritage and commemorates a Mexican victory in the 1862 Battle of Puebla.

There is a relatively low-key Cinco de Mayo celebration centered on the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot, tied in with the International Flower & Garden Festival. It usually features some sort of special activity for families.

In addition, there is a Pleasure Island Cinco de Mayo Party with live music. The outdoor entertainment elements of the Cinco de Mayo celebration are free of charge.

What a fan-tabulous spot for a DIS meet!:banana: I clearly have to get on board and start reading fellow May trippies threads! I see some websurfing in store for me this evening!:surfweb:

And what a lucky coincidence...my kids will actually be the exact same ages as yours by May - DD7 and DS4. Noontime tequillas are now officially on the agenda!;)

Jumping in! :goodvibes

I saw that you used RCI points to book Disney. Can you explain to me how this is done? My mom has some RCI points but I had no idea this was even possible. We looked into exchanging a week but not points. Thanks so much!

It's exciting that we will all be there at the same time!!!

Wow! Thanks for posting...I had never even heard of Cinco de Mayo.
As luck would have it, we were already going to be in Epcot on May 5th, which is actually my birthday, so of course we are going to my favourite Park!:goodvibes

For those of you, like me, who haven't heard of Cinco de Mayo, here is a description, courtesy of Mousesavers:

Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo (5th of May) is a celebration of Mexican heritage and commemorates a Mexican victory in the 1862 Battle of Puebla.

There is a relatively low-key Cinco de Mayo celebration centered on the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot, tied in with the International Flower & Garden Festival. It usually features some sort of special activity for families.

In addition, there is a Pleasure Island Cinco de Mayo Party with live music. The outdoor entertainment elements of the Cinco de Mayo celebration are free of charge.

What a fan-tabulous spot for a DIS meet!:banana: I clearly have to get on board and start reading fellow May trippies threads! I see some websurfing in store for me this evening!:surfweb:

And what a lucky coincidence...my kids will actually be the exact same ages as yours by May - DD7 and DS4. Noontime tequillas are now officially on the agenda!;)

Awesome!! My kids will be thrilled that more kids will be there!!

Check out my pre-trippie if you get a chance, so you can "meet" Charlie and Annika! I can't wait to read more about your trip!

Jumping in! :goodvibes

I saw that you used RCI points to book Disney. Can you explain to me how this is done? My mom has some RCI points but I had no idea this was even possible. We looked into exchanging a week but not points. Thanks so much!

It's exciting that we will all be there at the same time!!!

Hello, and Welcome!!!:welcome: Another May tripper! Yay!

As for our trade from RCI, we have found that we seem to have more flexibility when trading with points as opposed to weeks. Here is a link which explains in a nutshell the difference btwn points vs. weeks: http://www.alltimeshare.com/pointsvsweeks.html

Either way, I think we totally lucked out in getting these trades. We were even able to book at exactly 11 months out, which even non-BCV DVC members are unable to do! (I believe their booking period opens at 7 months out). And we had a number of other options at some of the other DVC resorts as well, including Boardwalk, OKW and SSR.

As mentioned, we tried to trade thru Interval in 2007 and 2008 and had no luck at all. So RCI is the way to go in my opinion!

I saw you on Katie's Cinco de Mayo meet thread. I'm planning on being there so I thought I'd pop over and check out your PTR!

Congrats on getting BCV! :woohoo:

Your DH sounds like mine. I also had to promise when we took our big trip in December that that would be the last family vacation to WDW for a long while :sad2:

I saw you on Katie's Cinco de Mayo meet thread. I'm planning on being there so I thought I'd pop over and check out your PTR!

Congrats on getting BCV! :woohoo:

Your DH sounds like mine. I also had to promise when we took our big trip in December that that would be the last family vacation to WDW for a long while :sad2:

Oh wow! Yay! Thanks for joining me here!

I can't believe how organized the May trippers are this year! Maybe you folks have always been like this...I am a complete newbie to these PTR boards. I am already super excited for the tequila meet! :banana:

Oh wow! Yay! Thanks for joining me here!

I can't believe how organized the May trippers are this year! Maybe you folks have always been like this...I am a complete newbie to these PTR boards. I am already super excited for the tequila meet! :banana:

I'm not usually very good at finding people through their PTRs. I found Katie and Kayce because they were reading my December TR - today I've just been looking for other DISers planning on coming to the meet and clicking on the links in their siggys! I'm excited for the meet too - should be fun!

I'm not doing a PTR, but I did post my plans on my December TR if you want to check them out. There is a link to that update in the first post so you don't have to search for it :thumbsup2

I'm not usually very good at finding people through their PTRs. I found Katie and Kayce because they were reading my December TR - today I've just been looking for other DISers planning on coming to the meet and clicking on the links in their siggys! I'm excited for the meet too - should be fun!

I'm not doing a PTR, but I did post my plans on my December TR if you want to check them out. There is a link to that update in the first post so you don't have to search for it :thumbsup2

What a great trip you have planned with your Mom! I can't wait to meet you both in Mexico!;) This will be my 1st DisMeet...how exciting! And to think I would not even have known about it if I hadn't started this PTR!

I have bookmarked your December TR - I can't wait to read it start to finish. I did, however, read enough of the opening to realize that we have a very similar negotiating strategy with our husbands when it comes to Disney!:rotfl:

Excellent!! This is really sounding like a party. I'm so looking forward to meeting you all in person. This is almost like having friends :rotfl2: :grouphug:

Wow! What a fantastic trip you have planned! You are hitting up my dream deluxe list. Your son is so handsome. I don't think I've seen an updated picture of him.

Are you going at the beginning or end of May?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter