It's our "Last" Trip to WDW, so we're going DELUXE! *We're Back After 11 Days in WDW*

Yes, that is May. My photos from Dec aren't as good-I guess I wasn't quite as steady after 5 rides on Everest.:rotfl: Last May Wednesday was my birthday so we went to California Grill for dinner and just made it to AK for EMH in time for one ride-I just looked at the time stamp on photos I took that night. We were at the bus stop at CR by 7:08 I remember we waited for a while for a bus. We got to EE by 7:52, were off the ride by 8:08, out of the park by 8:34 and back in the lobby of our hotel (AKL) at 9:01. That Tree of Life photo was taken at 8:23pm.

Oh wow! Thanks for being so specific on the times. I will be doing a slow mosey out of the Parks then to try to grab a pic around the same timeframe. Of course I doubt anything I take will come close to your amazing photo!!

So, I thought I would mention 2 fun (AND FREE!) things that I learned about this week.

First, there is a special promotion going on right now at Disney Movie Rewards. Using the code GUMBO you can get a free telephone call from Princess Tiana. Very fun!

Go into your account, enter the code and you will be sent an email explaining how to set up the call. Here is the link: http://disney.go.com/disneymovierewards/

Secondly, the Disney Blog announced a do-it-yourself video where you can upload photos to create a family Disney vacation video. I have seen a couple on the trip report boards, so I spent some time tonite doing ours. Here it is if you want to take a peak.

http://www.mymagicaldisneyvacation.com/35734

After the video ends, it will give you the link to create one yourself.:goodvibes

An Experiment with the Disney DELUXE Dining Plan

OK...I'll admit it. Food is perhaps one of the things that I most look forward to at Disney.

I pour over menus, prepare spreadsheets, and meticulously plot and plan how to fit all of the restaurants I want to visit into each trip. And I am most certainly on the phone (now the computer!) in the early hours of the morning at exactly 180 days in advance of my trip to secure my ADRs.

Even on the Deluxe Dining Plan, and with 11 days at Disney, I still had difficulty fitting all of the restaurants I wanted into our schedule. In the end, I couldn't. But we sure have some good ones lined up!

There's all the old favourites...

Chef Mickey's on our opening night when we check into the Contemporary:

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

Crystal Palace:

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

California Grill:

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Cinderella's Royal Table:

IMG_7992.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

...and Le Cellier!!!

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

We also have a couple new-to-us places that I am dying to try, including...

...Jiko (which I actually booked for my birthday):

Disboardphotos.jpg

Photo: WDWinfo

Narcoossees:

Disboardsphoto.jpg

Photo: WDWinfo

...and Coral Reef:

DisAllEars.jpg

Photo: AllEars

Although we booked 2 credit restaurants for the majority of our evening meals, by eating breakfast in our kitchen for a couple of days, and splitting meals where we can, I am fairly certain that we will be able to extend our credits to get the best value out of the plan. By my calculations, I estimate that we will save about $400 on the Plan as opposed to paying out of pocket. I will certainly be keeping tabs on it during the trip and will report in full how we do in the end!

You have some great restaurants on your list. :thumbsup2 I haven't tried many of them. California Grill is number 1 on my list for my trip. :goodvibes

I love your choices. You have a couple I have tried and loved, a couple I can't wait to try in May and at least 1 I am dying to try someday.

I too am obsessed with thoughts of Disney dining :upsidedow

You've got some great choices! I can't wait to hear how you like the DxDDP.

Mom & I have ADRs at Jiko, Le Cellier & Coral Reef as well :thumbsup2

Dh and I had a date night at Jiko in November and loved it. But, dh says the best meal he had that trip was Sanaa. The food there was Fab!

Hi I'm here finally :goodvibes thanks for the link. this is going to be an awesome trip you have planned. Staying at two of my choices for resort. Happy it worked out and you were able to get BCV. I love your pics from last trip, your kids have grown up so much. Adorable family you have! Anyway your ADR's look great. I was debating doing deluxe dining in June so we could eat at the signature restaurants and have characters breakfast everyday. But even the regular DDP is too much food for us. Also I hate having to leave the pool or resort to go make it to a dining ressie. But Tom wants to do the regular plan because he does look forward to the food :goodvibes. You have to let me know how you like the deluxe dining when you get back.

Nichole

Hi I'm here finally :goodvibes thanks for telling me about your PTR. this is going to be an awesome trip you have planned. Staying at two of my choices for resort. Happy it worked out and you were able to get BCV. I love your pics from last trip, your kids have grown up so much. Adorable family you have! Anyway your ADR's look great. I was debating doing deluxe dining in June so we could eat at the signature restaurants and have characters breakfast everyday. But even the regular DDP is too much food for us. Also I hate having to leave the pool or resort to go make it to a dining ressie. But Tom wants to do the regular plan because he does look forward to the food :goodvibes. You have to let me know how you like the deluxe dining when you get back.

Nichole

Hi I'm here :goodvibes thanks for telling about your PTR. this is going to be an awesome trip you have planned. Staying at two of my choices for resort. Happy it worked out and you were able to get BCV. I love your pics from last trip, your kids have grown up so much. Adorable family you have! Anyway your ADR's look great. I was debating doing deluxe dining in June so we could eat at the signature restaurants and have characters breakfast everyday. But even the regular DDP is too much food for us. Also I hate having to leave the pool or resort to go make it to a dining ressie. But Tom wants to do the regular plan because he does look forward to the food :goodvibes. You have to let me know how you like the deluxe dining when you get back.

Nichole

You know I think you're right it wasn't real dark in May last year for EMH when we rode EE-only dusk. I did get to ride it in the dark 5 times in a row in December.:cool1:

BUT....we took our time walking out of the park in May-not super slow but we didn't rush out and we got to see the tree of life in the dark-BEAUTIFUL!!!!
TreeofLife.jpg

Double WOW!!

Love your choices of restaurants. Just looking at your Le Cellier shots is making me salivate. :cloud9:

Oh wow! Thanks for being so specific on the times. I will be doing a slow mosey out of the Parks then to try to grab a pic around the same timeframe. Of course I doubt anything I take will come close to your amazing photo!!

My secret is to take LOTS of photos!!! Over 2,000 on a 7 night trip. Have to love digital photography.

Great ADR choices! I've enjoyed them all but haven't yet tried Jiko. I was going to do it on this trip but can't seem to fit it in. I tried Coral Reef for the first time in December. I was a bit nervous because you read such mixed reviews but we had an excellent meal there!!!! I also really LOVED Flying Fish that was another new try in December. I think Narcoosees is my DS's favorite place. We're doing all those and California Grill on my birthday.:thumbsup2

Are you doing Cape May breakfast? This is a nice one. I have that booked for Mother's Day.

Great PTR! Your kids are adorable!! How was it when you took a 2 year old? We're taking our girls who will be 7 and almost 2.5 in August. Last time, ODD was 4 - so, I'm not so sure about our YDD since she'll be 2.5.

We ate at Coral Reef last trip and loved it!!!

You have some great restaurants on your list. :thumbsup2 I haven't tried many of them. California Grill is number 1 on my list for my trip. :goodvibes

At this point, CG is my favourite restaurant in all of WDW. The picture of the sushi that I posted was the best sushi ever! I believe it was called the rainbow. It was from a trip in Sept. 2008. Unfortunately when we returned in March 2009 it was no longer on the menu. I ordered another type of sushi, but the original was much better.

Just sitting up there, you truly feel on top of the world. The skylines are incredible and the restaurant itself is beautiful. I know a lot of people like to be there for the fireworks, but I love being there at sunset. We found that once the sun hit, we could only see blackness and reflection off the window (we were sitting in the wine tasting room), whereas beforehand you could see incredible views of WDW, which added so much to the experience.:cloud9:

I love your choices. You have a couple I have tried and loved, a couple I can't wait to try in May and at least 1 I am dying to try someday.

I too am obsessed with thoughts of Disney dining :upsidedow

I love Disney dining, and it is always nice to have a few new restaurants to try each trip, isn't it?

You've got some great choices! I can't wait to hear how you like the DxDDP.

Mom & I have ADRs at Jiko, Le Cellier & Coral Reef as well :thumbsup2

Sounds like you and your mom also love to dine at WDW! I can't wait to try Jiko (plus, we have never been inside AKL!!!), and I think the kids will love Coral Reef too.:goodvibes

Dh and I had a date night at Jiko in November and loved it. But, dh says the best meal he had that trip was Sanaa. The food there was Fab!

I have heard good stuff about Sanaa too. We will have to save that one for our next trip!;)

Hi I'm here finally :goodvibes
Your ADR's look great. I was debating doing deluxe dining in June so we could eat at the signature restaurants and have characters breakfast everyday. But even the regular DDP is too much food for us. Also I hate having to leave the pool or resort to go make it to a dining ressie. But Tom wants to do the regular plan because he does look forward to the food. You have to let me know how you like the deluxe dining when you get back.

Hey Nichole! Thanks for joining!:welcome:

Too bad we are a month off from one another for the BC. We will get it warmed up for you!:laughing:

We only have the DxDP for 7 of our 11 days, so I am hoping it is not too much food, or too much work, but I will let you know! To be honest, when factoring in our 2 credit meals, I really had to strategize not to run out of credits (as opposed to struggling to use them all up)! Plus, with sharing meals and eating some breakfasts in the room, I plan on stretching the plan into 8 days!;)

Love your choices of restaurants. Just looking at your Le Cellier shots is making me salivate. :cloud9:

Yes...that mushroom filet is absolutely to die for! There is no plate of food in all of WDW that calls my name more than that one!:rotfl:

Great ADR choices! I've enjoyed them all but haven't yet tried Jiko. I was going to do it on this trip but can't seem to fit it in. I tried Coral Reef for the first time in December. I was a bit nervous because you read such mixed reviews but we had an excellent meal there!!!! I also really LOVED Flying Fish that was another new try in December. I think Narcoosees is my DS's favorite place. We're doing all those and California Grill on my birthday.:thumbsup2

Are you doing Cape May breakfast? This is a nice one. I have that booked for Mother's Day.

Glad to hear your great reviews about Coral Reef. I was also hesitant of the negative reviews, but very good friends of ours, who we have a lot in common with, said it was one of the best meals of their trip. I have grown to learn that while I will read other people's reviews, ultimately I will follow my own path. If I want to try a restaurant, I will.

Based on reviews, I think I must be the only person in the world who actually liked Cantina de San Angel (Mexico counterservice)!:rotfl:

I keep hearing great things about Flying Fish...that is another one I couldn't fit in this time. Next trip! ;)

We have booked Cape May for one morning. It will be our 1st time there as well.

Great PTR! Your kids are adorable!! How was it when you took a 2 year old? We're taking our girls who will be 7 and almost 2.5 in August. Last time, ODD was 4 - so, I'm not so sure about our YDD since she'll be 2.5.

We ate at Coral Reef last trip and loved it!!!

Thanks for joining in! :welcome:

Another positive review of Coral Reef - great to hear!:goodvibes

On our first trip with the kids, my son was only 22 months old. Unfortunately, I do not have a single photo of that trip, nor do I have any video. [The sad tale of why is explained in my Mommy-Daughter TR, but basically I left our camera bag in our rental car at the airport.] So I am going purely on memory here, which may be foggy. [And if that isn't convincing evidence of why it is so great to do TRs, or at least to take photos as if you were going to be doing a TR, I don't know what is! 3 years later and I can't recall specifics of my kids' 1st ever trip to WDW!]

Anyway, at the time we were staying off property, and were with my parents who like to clear out of the Parks by early afternoon and not return. So our general schedule was to get to the parks for park opening and stay until 1-2pm. We always took a rest in the afternoon, swam in the pool, and went out for dinner. And my son did just great. Obviously we were not commando touring though, which I think had a lot to do with it.;)

What I do remember vividly about the trip, even without the pictures, is that it was a perfect time to introduce the kids to WDW. My son today can't remember his trip at 22 months. But I can!!!:lovestruc

The Dilemma of the Perfect Park Bag

A couple years ago, the Disboards introduced me to the Baggalini.

MES160PW.gif

I have been using the Messenger Baggalini my past few trips, and it has worked out great. But it is looking tired. The ripstop nylon is thin and the pale blue color is faded. And it just no longer looks like a great bag. So I have to get something else for this trip.

I considered another Baggalini. But while I like the Messenger, there are a couple things I don't like. I am not a big fan of the fabric - either the ripstop nylon or the crinkle. Plus, I have yet to find a way to secure the adjustable strap to get it to stay in place. Invariably, within a short time of walking through the parks the strap gets slacker and slacker until I need to remove it and readjust.

So I am in the market for a new bag.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. First, is the Big Pod from MEC. Only $24, and looks far more modern/urban than my Baggalini messenger, which is good. Also gender neutral, which will help out when I need DH's assistance in carrying the bag.

5017260_v1_m56577569830854478.jpg

All things considered, this bag is my 1st choice.

The other bag I have been considering is again an influence of the Disboards: The Vera Bradley Hipster in Turquoise.

I have never owned a Vera Bradley, and truth be told, I never heard of these bags until the Disboards. While I like these bags, I have always hesitated as I think the patterns could limit you on what you could wear with them. I don't want to have to pack a bunch of different bags for the trip. I want one bag that will see me through the whole trip.

My other hesitation on the Vera is the size. I am not sure I would be able to get everything that I put into the Baggalini messenger (which is about the same size as the MEC pod bag) into the Vera. So the jury is out on the Vera. I haven't decided.

I would love some imput. What bags do you use? Any thoughts on the Vera? What about other bags I may not have considered. Open to all suggestions!

Well as you know, I just got the messenger and think it will be great for my needs!

My opinion on the hipster is that it would be too small for many purposes. It only has a depth of 1 inch so if you plan to pack anything even minimally bulky, it won't work (I feel the need though to add that I do have a mini hipster and LOVE it when I am going somewhere that I only need my phone, keys and a little cash/CC's. they are wonderful, hands-free bags!)

I am having the same dilemma! I really WANT a VB, but I don't think it would be as practical as some others. We will probably have a backpack that stays in our stroller, so that would help, but I just can't figure out what else to get! It's such a tough choice!!! :confused3

Glad to hear your great reviews about Coral Reef. I was also hesitant of the negative reviews, but very good friends of ours, who we have a lot in common with, said it was one of the best meals of their trip. I have grown to learn that while I will read other people's reviews, ultimately I will follow my own path. If I want to try a restaurant, I will.

Based on reviews, I think I must be the only person in the world who actually liked Cantina de San Angel (Mexico counterservice)!:rotfl:
:laughing:Last May I had a lunch ADR in Mexico for 5/5 but kept hearing such bad things about it. Combine that with the fact that the place was going to close a few days later for renovations and I caved and canceled it. I will try it for myself one day.

I too am on the great perfect bag search. I have very specifics desires though. I really want a backpack because I don't think I can handle a sling or shoulder bag while wearing my dSLR around my neck. I have been using a Nike mesh backpack with is good because you don't get too hot, isn't too heavy, and makes security search quick. The things I don't like are that is really almost too big, doesn't have any water bottle holders, and doesn't have an "organization" pocket.

I'm looking for a smallish backpack with outside water bottle holder and organization pocket. I'm leaning toward the Eagle Creek Travel Bug. I've almost ordered it but then I saw on another thread someone posted a link to an Olympia Academy Mini Backpack which has 2 water bottle holders and is cheaper. I still like the looks of the Eagle Creek more. I think I'm going to just go ahead and order it.

I have that exact baggalini. :thumbsup2 One of the things I didn't like about it was that it does not hold up well to dirt. Even when I wash it, it doesn't look any better.

And that is one of the things I LOVE about the VB hipster. :thumbsup2 It looks exactly the same today as it did when I bought it a year ago. I use it as my purse and I love it. I, too, worried about it matching things, but it hasn't been a problem. Mine is a red pattern and it really does go with just about everything - even purple. ;)

However, I would not recommend it for a park bag. It really doesn't hold all that much in it. I think your first choice looks great.

In my expert (ahem) opinion, I say go with the first one for your park bag and then get a hipster just to use as a purse at home. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter