• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's Perfect! Oh, wait.. can I make one more change?

2gr8DisneyKids

DIS Veteran
So after reading so many pre-trip and trip reports I decided to start my own. Like so many others, this is not my first trip and I have been totally obsessing over the planning of this one.

The planning all started in August when I was following the release of the 2010 room rates while on vacation in Mt. Tremblant, QC. DH really wanted to just go to the beach for March Break , but I convinced him that if we flew into MCO and did not go to WDW the kids would be devastated (not to mention me!). So we booked 4 nights at WDW (CSR) and 3 nights at Disney's Vero Beach.

The next week I decided to run in the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon and changed our reservations for the first time of many to POR and then VB.

I started training for the Princess and ran my first 5K in September and have been following a 1/2 marathon training program for the past several months.

After PIN codes, kids sail free, buy 4/get 3 deals, and about 9 changes we ended up with a dream vacation of 6 nights at POLY (I am going down one day ahead) and a 3 night Disney Cruise!

March 5th to 11th POLY March 11th to 14th DCL!

Who is going? Me (32), DH (35), DS (6), and DD (2). I am a total Disney addict that kept it in hiding until a couple of years ago; DS love Disney too and currently his favorites are Buzz, Woody, and Mickey; and DD is as addicted as me and loves Minnie and "Rella" (Cinderella).

Here are the kids with Minnie in AK Feb. 2009
IMG_0211.jpg

Hope you all enjoy my last month before our trip. If nothing else it will spare DH from hearing more about how may times I have checked to see if a better ADR time came up! :rotfl2:

Here are the travel details:

March 5th to 11th POLY
March 11th to 14th DCL Wonder

Friday & Saturday Flying from YUL (Montreal) to MCO!

I leave on March 5th so I can go to the Expo and get my 1/2 marathon packet on Saturday while DH and the kids fly down. We will meet back at POLY and are having Papa John's delivery (do not have them in Montreal).

Sunday is race day! The kids and DH will be cheering me on at the Castle and the Finish Line with their ChEAR Squad packages and matching shirts. After the race we are spending an easy day at MK with a dinner ADR for 6:30pm at The Plaza. Hoping to take DS on his first ride on Space Mountain!

Monday is DHS with a dinner ADR at 5:30pm for Sci-Fi, EMH, TSM, and Star Tours on the list!

Tuesday is Epcot with ADRs at Akerhaus (where I want the better time) for breakfast and 6:00pm for Garden Grill, EMH, Fast Track, and the Tinkerbell Fairy Garden are on the top of our list.

Wednesday is back to MK with a dinner ADR at Tony's for 6:30pm.

Thursday we have breakfast at Chef Mickey's and then board the bus to the cruise!

This will be our first cruise and we have nothing planned so that we can see how things are and really enjoy the ship! We will do a day-rental at the Hilton in Nassau to get some beach time and will hit the beach at Castaway Cay, but other than that it is fun and relaxation. And some shopping!

Sunday We are back at Port Canaveral and fly back to Montreal that afternoon.

A Little background

I went to WDW several times as a kid. We stayed at the POLY twice and in a treehouse once.

2007 to 2009 We decided to take DS for his 4th birthday (since DD would be 6 mo. and not mobile yet) and got hooked! It was a total blowout trip staying at CR with a MK view, DxDP, and park hoppers! We figured it would be a while before we went back...

BUT then we relocated from Washington, DC, to Montreal (DH took a job with the UN) and we needed a winter escape for Feb. 2009. It was buy 4 get 3 deal time and we booked CBR! It was just as great, almost a bit more relaxing as CR has a go, go, go! feel to it. We did the DDP, but skipped the hoppers since we did not really use them last time around.

To add to the mix, DD is very severely lactose intolerant and even butter as an ingredient will make her sick, so Disney is also the only vacation I get where I do not have to cook. :lovestruc

2010 This time around we are room-only PIN code folks with discount park tickets from the 1/2 marathon and no DDP. We finally ended up with POLY due it's location on the 1/2 marathon race course and the kids and DH wanting to watch and still get a bit of sleep. I have also wanted to stay there again since I was a kid, so it is also an early birthday treat to me since my birthday is the day after we get home from the trip. :flower3:

Excellent start - thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Thanks!

Great start!! We'll be going around the same time as you! Let's hope for no crowds!!:thumbsup2

How funny, I was just reading your PTR earlier today! Good luck with the wedding!

And yes, I am totally hoping for low crowds. We have never done Peak Season before, but with a kid in school it was the only option (especially since he gets 2 1/2 weeks off!).

DD has a stomach bug and taking a second nap so I have more time on my hands today...

It’s the shoes!

I have always loved shoes. But I was never fond of “whole shoes” and preferred to be barefoot overall. So much so that I avoided running, as I lived in fear of my toenails falling off. Then I learned that with thin socks and the right shoes it should not happen. See, with Disney dreams do come true!

I bought my running shoes from The Running Room (also doing the Running Room marathon training program) in my neighborhood and so far, so good! Sandals for the cruise!

To date I have put 238.54 miles on my shoes and have just over a month to go before the big race... Only about 1,000 more miles short of running to WDW!

And when you have a great pair of shoes you need a great outfit! Here is my Princess 1/2 running outfit (a Christmas gift from DFIL).

IMG_0064.jpg

I just got my 9:30 AM ADR at Akerhaus! :cheer2:

That way we get to take advantage of EMH at Epcot and then have breakfast with the princesses! I have been checking more times a day than I would like to count, but it worked!

Now I just need to decide if Dinner at The Plaza should stay or if I should keep trying for the 1900 Park Fare Dinner at GF the night of the Princess 1/2.

We have not done either (have done CRT) any thoughts?

I'm in for the details. Sounds like the makings of a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

Congrats on training for the Princess 1/2 marathon. I have a goal of running the 1/2 at Disney next January. :thumbsup2

I'm terribly jealous you are running the half!! I've never really been a runner but always wanted to!! I love the marathon outfit :)

Congrats on training for the Princess 1/2 marathon. I have a goal of running the 1/2 at Disney next January. :thumbsup2

Awesome! I was not really a runner before, but am hooked now! Good luck and sign up, it is the best incentive.

I really wanted to do the 1/2 in January, but it did not work with DS's school calendar. I might try to go solo next year...

I'm terribly jealous you are running the half!! I've never really been a runner but always wanted to!! I love the marathon outfit :)

I had not run in years and it has been much easier than I thought. And thanks, I love my outfit too! :)

So the night before my last resort change I am still going back and forth about what to do and was leaning toward the reverse split stay that I had been thinking. I think I had finally put DH over the edge...

For as we were serving dinner to the kids DH goes, I am just going to call you when we land (I am going down the night before) and ask which ME bus to take I cannot keep up with the changes anymore!

Then a few minutes later, he says just book it for POLY the entire time. Then we do not have to move resorts and I will not have to hear bout it, right?

BAM! Called the TA right then and switched to all 6 nights at POLY! :dance3:

Want to know the resort change saga? Here goes:

1. CSR 4 nights (went for Queen beds, central/AC, and renovated) then
Vero Beach 4nights & AKL 2 nights
2. POR (1/2 Marathon Resort) 4 nights & Vero Beach 4 nights & AKL 2 nights
3. POR 6 nights & 3 night DCL (kids sail free) & 2 nights AKL
4. POR 6 nights & 3 night DCL (found afternoon airfare)
5. POR 4 nights & AKL 2 nights & 3 night DCL
6. POLY 4 nights & POR 2 nights & 3 night DCL
7. POLY 6 nights & 3 night DCL

We also switched rate plans in addition to the actual resort changes!!!
AAA rate
1/2 Marathon rate & AAA (Vero Beach)
1/2 Marathon rate & Kids Sail Free
Buy 4/Get 3 & Kids Sail Free
PIN code & Kids Sail Free

The final switch to POLY came about mostly due to the Marathon busses and getting the kids to the race with DH and not having to ride the bus at 4 am. Being on the monorail meant they could all sleep in a bit and even wave to me as I run near the POLY! Plus, we stayed there when I was a kid and I have been wanting to go back! Thanks, DH!

YAY for the Poly!!! We get to stay there on our last night and I can't wait. That's great news!!

YAY for the Poly!!! We get to stay there on our last night and I can't wait. That's great news!!

I know, I am so excited! I lobbied for it for month, but did not want to pay the difference (like $1,000 for the trip) but then when we started playing with split stayed it was not "that" much more and DH is in line for a promotion so I figure we will be OK, just have to cut back on other things.

Enjoy your fantastic tip too, and the wonderful wedding!

Great start to your PTR. Can't wait to read all about your trip. My DS is also 6 so I can't wait to hear how he likes the cruise:thumbsup2.

Holy changes, Batman! You make a DISer like me so proud! :teeth:

Sounds like a great vacay. The Poly is my most favorite Disney resort! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter