JULY W.I.S.H. Challenge - Summer of Positive Change

Hi everyone, I am going for the month. It was just a busy end to the week. For those that don't know me my name is Stephanie and I am from Northeast Ohio. I am married with a 14 year old DS and my DD will be 13 very soon. My goal for this month is to continue to average 60 minutes a day for the month. I was able to complete this last month but it was not the easiest.

I have been off of work since Wednesday and will be off until Monday, July 13th. It is a much needed break with the way this summer has gone at work. We don't have anything planned but to hang out at the house. We will probably watch some movies outside and maybe some cleaning around the house. We did go to my brothers yesterday for my nephews birthday. I feel horrible because my brother, mom and myself worked it out so my sister would not be there. She is not taking and precautions at all and has been traveling everywhere. None of us feel comfortable around her family right now. It was nice at my brothers as he has a pool and my kids got to swim (one things they are missing this year) and they got to be around someone else. I was a horrible mom though was I didn't tell the kids to put on sunscreen and Elizabeth got pretty burnt. Nick had a swim shirt on so he wasn't so bad. It was nice to be able to talk to my family more though.

The first time DS saw fireflies!

Cool - I just googled if we have fireflies in Australia as I have never seen them - apparently we DO in some areas - I had no idea lol. I always think they look cool when I see then in US movies or tv shows.

Do you have any holidays similar to our 4th of July? My cousin lives in Canada, and they just celebrated Canada Day.

We have Australia Day it is in January in our Summer - It is on 26 January and marks the day of the arrival of the First Fleet, at Port Jackson in 1788 where the British Flag was raised by Governor Phillip. Apparently it started as a celebration for emancipated convicts and progressed to a celebration of Australia. When I was younger I don't remember it being a 'big thing' and was always jealous of your Independence Day fireworks and celebrations. It has grown here now and is usually marked with BBQs, Beach Days, Sydney often has the Tall Ships sailing on the Harbour, Australian of the Year awards, and citizenship ceremonies for new Australian's are popular on that day, fireworks in some areas, and indigienous ceremonies I don;t think we have Australia Day fireworks here on the coast - there is a 'summer fireworks' day by on of the local radio stations on the weekend around the 20th January. It is becoming more and more controversial in Australia - for many Indigenous Australian's it is known as Invasion Day and a day of mourning for their ancestors who were killed and loss of their country. Some want the date moved to a date that can be more inclusive for all Australians to celebrate together - but of course many don't want it changed - so there are often protests on the day as well as celebrations.

It is a much needed break with the way this summer has gone at work.

Hope you enjoy your break and that - the work issue was resolved and you are ok.

We did go to my brothers yesterday for my nephews birthday. I feel horrible because my brother, mom and myself worked it out so my sister would not be there. She is not taking and precautions at all and has been traveling everywhere. None of us feel comfortable around her family right now.

That is tricky - but I have seen so many outbreaks among extended family members - it isn't forever and you have to prioritise your families health.

I was a horrible mom though was I didn't tell the kids to put on sunscreen and Elizabeth got pretty burnt.

We have all been there!

Last edited:
Self-Care Sunday

Hello all, hope your Sunday is wonderful - make sure you do something for yourself :) If you are struggling with an aspect of your healthy journey - what advice would you give a friend in the same situation? Remember to use positive self-talk to coach yourself through those tough moments. We are often so hard on ourselves!

Yesterday was supposed to be a relaxing day. But we went to Lowe’s and Home Depot to shop for some things for our kitchen renovation. My daughter was driving us around, which now adds a new level of stress to everything. Then my family decided to have a BBQ at my parents house a last minute. They moved to the area a year and a half ago and their house is on a hill. The front patio has a great view of the sunset...and apparently firework too! The local ones were cancelled. But people were setting them off all over and we had a great view!

Today I need to finish emptying the kitchen because the renovation starts tomorrow. And they are also going to expand our master closet. So I need to start emptying that. It’s exciting and stressful at the same time. I’m going to go for a bike ride first. And get back on track with eating now that birthdays and 4th of July are over. I think the first step there is planning. So today I will work on my meal plan for the week.

If you are struggling with an aspect of your healthy journey - what advice would you give a friend in the same situation?

That is such an important question! I agree that we are often far harder on ourselves than we are on others, forgiving them easily but feeling awful ourselves for similar mistakes.

So far, I’ve had a slow morning. One of the cats woke me up early, but after I fed her, I used the time to enjoy my coffee and watch a PBS/history show I had taped. Now I’m outside with the other cat on her leash, which is also good for me. Not sure on plans for the rest of the day, but a good self-care start.

I food shopped yesterday so I am pretty ready to go for the week. Its amazing though that even when I meal plan and shop there always seem to be something I overlook or forget to buy! I wanted to get another packet of toilet paper yesterday - I am trying to get in the habit of having an unopened pack on hand once we open a pack. The entire TP aisle was EMPTY ugh come on Australia - There is a whole other state between Queensland and Victoria - Victoria is having a surge in cases and areas down there are in lock down again - so that obviously spurred people to stock up again IN CASE! So now will have to have a hunt around tomorrow. And when I say surge no-where near the numbers you guys are seeing in some areas over there - because our general numbers are so low - Victoria's surge is ranging from 70-100 cases per day for the last 1-2 weeks now and they are working really hard to test, trace and isolate. They have hard-locked down 9 public housing apartment buildings - with police guard - food and social support provided - rent waived - and a hardship payment made for a period of 2 weeks - as there are at least 20 positive cases in the buildings and they are scared that left unchecked it will spread to everyone living in the buildings. Obviously views are mixed on this approach. But we have done so well as a nation that it is hard to see just how quickly and easily it can get away again. The outbreak is traced to international quarantine and protocols not being follows by the private security team in that state. Over here our international borders are closed and only Australian citizens/permanent residents can enter but must then enter mandatory 14 day quarantine and testing - the quarantine is taking place in hotels - up until now the cost has been covered by the government but as of today people entering the quarantine will be billed for it at a rate of $200 per day per person. I am actually a little amazed at how many people are still returning back to Australia - as pretty much we can't leave our country without a really good reason exemption at the moment. For example my next door neighbor is currently in quarantine as they were allowed to fly to New Zealand on compassionate grounds as his father was dying, sadly he passed just hours before his son arrived at his home, his wife and kids joined him for the funeral. I believe they also had to quarantine on arrival into New Zealand.

Today my self-care was - making sure I got my walk in - it would have been easy to stay sitting on the couch with DD - she had a bad day today with migraine and multiple aura's - but even she encouraged me to go, so I dragged DS16 with me - I didn't get to walk as long as I wanted due to parking and him complaining he was hungry! but I did get 30 minutes in - so that is better than nothing! I am enjoying doing the walks at the beach with the kids - sometimes its only 1 of them, or 2 of them and occasionally we all go - it is great chatting time - with that walking distraction lol.

I started noom about a month ago and I've been unsuccessful. My goal is to start fresh today and follow my calorie limit. I had a work injury over a year ago and I've gained nearly 30 pounds, but today is a new day and it's time to start taking better care of myself❤

I started noom about a month ago and I've been unsuccessful. My goal is to start fresh today and follow my calorie limit. I had a work injury over a year ago and I've gained nearly 30 pounds, but today is a new day and it's time to start taking better care of myself❤

:welcome: A couple of ladies on here are using Noom - maybe they can give some insight on how it has helped them. Glad to hear you are having a fresh start today and not giving up :banana:. Work injuries can be hard - physically and emotionally - I had one myself at the start of this year and I gained weight as well which sent other health issues spiraling. Looking forward to chatting this month :)

Welcome!!!

I'm one of the ladies on Noom. I started on December 1st and lost 20 pounds in spite of the holidays. I told my coach that I would be indulging on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. I told my DH to NOT give me chocolate on Valentine's Day unless it was 70% cacao dark. All was well until March. I've struggled to stick with it during the pandemic. I gained 5 and lost 5 over and over again. In the past 10 days or so, I have finally recommitted to it. I haven't seen any loss yet, holding steady on my plateau. I'm doing the work, and I know from experience that it will come off eventually. It's tough. I'm 55, post-menopausal, not on estrogen, and not leaving the house very much has cut down on my activity dramatically. I recently started doing aerobic activity at home, and when I get the courage, I venture out to walk on the beach wearing my mask and trying to socially distance from all the people who refuse to wear masks. The key to Noom is to read everything, reflect, log in all of your food, exercise, and be honest with your coach. If you really follow the program, the weight will come off.

Self-care Sunday

The only thing I have to actually do today is pay my bills. Otherwise, I plan on relaxing in the pool, and I may even take a nap. I was up until 4 AM because the neighborhood set off fireworks ALL DAY UNTIL 3:30 AM. By the time I realized that I should call the cops, I was too exhausted to go to the trouble of doing so. We have never had anyone go past 11 PM. Anyway, I will slather on plenty of sunscreen in case I doze off on my pool float.

If you are struggling with an aspect of your healthy journey - what advice would you give a friend in the same situation? I would tell them to persevere with whatever program they are following. We all have times when our weight plateaus or we lose motivation. Just stick with it and wait for the change because it is coming!

Be well my friends!:grouphug:

Welcome!!!

I'm one of the ladies on Noom. I started on December 1st and lost 20 pounds in spite of the holidays. I told my coach that I would be indulging on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. I told my DH to NOT give me chocolate on Valentine's Day unless it was 70% cacao dark. All was well until March. I've struggled to stick with it during the pandemic. I gained 5 and lost 5 over and over again. In the past 10 days or so, I have finally recommitted to it. I haven't seen any loss yet, holding steady on my plateau. I'm doing the work, and I know from experience that it will come off eventually. It's tough. I'm 55, post-menopausal, not on estrogen, and not leaving the house very much has cut down on my activity dramatically. I recently started doing aerobic activity at home, and when I get the courage, I venture out to walk on the beach wearing my mask and trying to socially distance from all the people who refuse to wear masks. The key to Noom is to read everything, reflect, log in all of your food, exercise, and be honest with your coach. If you really follow the program, the weight will come off.

Thank you so much. I'm 38, i have 4 kids which i easily lost the weight from but after having my back injury I havent been able to work out or even walk long distances. I do have a treadmill and I was walking in short intervals just trying to retrain myself, something I have to start doing again. The trouble i have with noom is logging honestly. Sometimes I forget or I just dont log at all. Today is a new day and after the holiday I'm ready to start over! Thank you all for the encouragement!

My advice would be don’t ever quit! Take a break, reset, rethink, but don’t quit!
I am reading in the screened in porch with the fan going-it’s hot, but I get tired of the air conditioning. Will get out for a walk today but probably not until 4:00-hopefully it’s a little cooler.

Welcome! A couple of us here are doing Noom, so happy to chat about the process. It took me several weeks to get in to the approach they were taking.

My advice would be to stop calling it a struggle. It's like there is no cheating, just choices. How does that Yoda saying go “ there is no try, only do’”. You may be doing something that doesn’t fully align with your intention, tomorrow do something different.

My self care today was to get up and leave my Sister’s house earlier than planned, so that I wasn’t stuck in traffic. It was a glorious peaceful drive and I got to the ferry dock during an hour gap between boats. It is finally sunny today, so waiting has been a delight.

Last edited:
Motivation Monday

"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where TRANSFORMATION happens."
-Jillian Michaels

What motivates you to put in the effort every single day, especially when progress isn't happening as quickly as you would like?

What motivates you to put in the effort every single day, especially when progress isn't happening as quickly as you would like?

Lately my effort each day is kind of driven by data - each morning I step on the scale - if it has dropped that is great reinforcement that what I did the previous day or actually even the few previous days was working, if it stays the same or increases - that is an opportunity to think about what I may have done in the previous days that didn't work or even to acknowledge where my body might be with hormones or just the stress of making food and exercise changes - sometimes it takes a rest day to see the scale drop again. The next numbers that drive effort are my blood glucose numbers - that tell me how my body is reacting to what I have eaten and it is a pretty clear message - to re-think something or if I made good choices. Each Sunday I have been taking photos and body measurements - they help me to see subtle changes I would not notice if I just looked in the mirror. For some reason I can visualize myself getting slimmer and healthier than ever before in all my years of joining in the WISH challenges. It seems I had to push my boundaries right to the undesired diagnoses to get me to change my mindset - bad I know - but I think I was arrogantly in denial. The big scare that Covid has brought has also been a big motivator to turn this health train around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter