Just more Stuff,,,,,

Born 2 Fish

I'D RATHER BE FISHING.
June 17, 1916, a man was born named Hamilton Henry Gilkyson in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.
His name doen't mean a lot to us today,BUT, was very influential in the world of pop and folk music.

In the 60's he began working for Walt Disney Studios.

He wrote music for Swiss Family Robinson, The Aristocats, and The Moon-Spinners, along with the television program The Wonderful World Of Disney.

In 1968 he received an Academy Award nomination for writing "The Bear Necessities" for The Jungle Book (the film's only song not written by the Sherman Brothers).

,,,,,class dismissed.

On June 18,1964 ,attorneys Paul Helliwell and Robert Foster (secretly representing Disney) meet in Jacksonville, Florida to finalize negotiations with the Demetree Family to purchase their Central Florida land which will be used for a new Disney resort.

Ta Da !! Disney World !! :woohoo:

Thank you Demetree family , :thumbsup2

You know how you walk down Main St.USA at WDW, and as you approach the castle, you see Walt standing there holding Mickeys hand, welcoming you to the Magic Kingdom,
well,
on this day, June 19,1995:
A bronze statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse, called the Partners Statue, was installed at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney Word.
It is identical to the statue created by artist/sculptor Blaine Gibson first installed at Disneyland back in November 1993.

June 20,1995
The Walt Disney Company announces plans for a fourth theme park in Florida, called Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom.
The park is expected to cost $760 million to create.

A couple of AK facts,,

1.To keep 1,000 animals happy takes about four tons of food a day . . . that’s a four-and-a-half year supply for the average person.

2.The arrival of a black rhino calf born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom made him one of only 250 worldwide

3.More than 4 million trees, plants, shrubs, ground-covers, vines, epiphytes and grasses from every continent on Earth -- except Antarctica -- were planted.

4.The largest tree replanted in the park is located in Harambe village, and tipped the scales at 90 tons . . . that’s equal to the weight of 16 male elephants.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (which premiered on this day) went on to win 4 Academy Awards, the most at that time for a Disney film since Mary Poppins.

..............and now you know.

On this day in 2008, Award-winning comedian-actor George Carlin passes away at age 71 in Los Angeles, California.

And you ask, what does George have to do with Disney / stuff ???

Carlin was the voice of Fillmore the VW bus in Disney/Pixar's Cars and Zugor in Disney's Tarzan II. Known for his raunchy, but insightful humor, Carlin was best known for his routine "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television."

I miss the stage show
Tarzan Rocks "
at the Animal Kingdom.
Wish they would bring it back !!

Tarzan Rocks was performed several times a day in Disney's Animal Kingdom 1,500-seat amphitheater. It was a high energy 30-minute live show based on the Walt Disney animated feature, Tarzan. One of my favorite things in the show was when the roller skaters did their performance on stage and thur the audience.
The show opened in July 1999 and closed January 21, 2006.

On June 24, 1893, Roy Oliver Disney is born in Chicago, Illinois. The middle of 5 children, he along with his younger brother Walt started what is today The Walt Disney Company. Roy guided the business side of the Disney company leavng his brother, Walt, free to produce and create. Roy served as president of Walt Disney Productions from 1945 to 1968 and chairman of the board from 1964 until his death in 1971. A modest man, it was Roy's idea to change the name of the Florida park from simply Disney World to Walt Disney World (after the death of his brother in 1966). Married to Edna Francis in 1925, Roy was the father of Roy E. Disney.

Today there is a statue of Roy O. Disney seated on a park bench beside Minnie Mouse, located in the Town Square section of Main Street, U.S.A., at the Magic Kingdom theme park in Florida.

On this day, June 25, 1985, at about 9 p.m., a Walt Disney World monorail catches fire while enroute from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. Over two hundred passengers are safely evacuated from the elevated tracks by ladders and cherry-picker cranes.

DisneyLAND ,FEBRUARY 1956
Keller's Jungle Killers , a circus act in the Mickey Mouse Club Circus tent, opens in Disneyland. The act features George Keller, a college professor-turned-lion tamer who has previously performed with the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus! Keller will continue his show through September.

In the 1950s a college professor from Bloomsburg, PA decided to follow his childhood dream of working in a circus an a lion tamer. A friend delivered a mountain lion via train to his home and he put it in his garage, over his wife's protests. His kids were delighted. Over the years Keller taught at the university in the mornings, and trained his lion in the afternoon, to a watchful audience of local kids. Before long he had accumulated a variety of big cats in his backyard, which he wintered in a car dealership building in town. At first Keller took his act, "Keller's Jungle Killers" on the road to local fairs and attractions, but eventually he achieved his dream of working with the Ringling Brother Barnum and Bailey circus, and later in Disneyland as well. Keller developed his own methods of working with the big cats, which used hand signals and background music. He claimed to never enter the ring with a chair or gun for protection. He also created acts that included a variety of cats: tigers, lions, leopards, etc. instead of just one species, which is uncommon.

My all time favorite Captain , Robert Keeshan, famously known to children as Captain Kangaroo, is
born in Lynbrook, New Yorkin in June,1927. (of course my second favorite Capt. is, Capt. Caveman !!!(cartoon figure)

Robert Keeshan, or, Capt. Kangaroo, was the voice of Aesop in a 1998 episode of Disney's Hercules television series.

How cool is that, Capt. Kangaroo does Disney !!:thumbsup2

The video for the Beach Boys' 1988 hit song "Kokomo" was filmed on the "beach" at Walt Disney World's Grand Floridian Resort in Florida. Performing in the video is honorary Beach Boy and Disney fan ... actor John Stamos!

June, 1985, the Legendary actor Bob Hope is on hand for Disney-MGM's official groundbreaking on a 135-acre plot of land located one mile southwest of Epcot. (The park will open 4 years later.)

Okay, I know there are a buncha young people going, "Bob who??:confused3"
Google him,,he was one of the all time greats, :thumbsup2

"Hear say" has it , :confused3 that Disney is developing another film based on one of its theme park rides. Walt Disney Pictures has hired Jason Dean Hall to write the script based on "The Matterhorn," a popular amusement bob sled ride at Disneyland. The storyline will be about five young mountain climbers scaling The Matterhorn who have an unfortunate encounter with a Yeti.

Disneyland's original Tinker Bell was a 71-year-old Hungarian circus performer named Tiny Kline. She was the first to fly off the top of the Matterhorn on a zip line, which was probably easy for her - she previously worked as a stunt aerialist, hanging from a flying airplane by her teeth!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 A 71 year young Tinker Bell !! Now she's the Tinker Bell that I would have loved to have had a photo taken with !!

In 1964, Lyndon B. Johnson was the President of the U.S.A.,,
AND in on July 3, 1964, the White House announces that Walt Disney will be a recipient of the Medal of Freedom (Walt will recieve the Medal on September 14).

For a brief time in 1956, Disneyland guests on Tom Sawyer Island were given fishing poles, hooks, and worms so they could fish for live catfish from the Catfish Cove docks near the Old Mill!

How AWESOMELY COOL was that !!

It didn't take long before Disney figured out this wasn't going to work so they canceled the fishing.
Folk who didn't wanna carry a fish around all day would end up throwing the fish away,,,do you have any idea what a dead fish starts to smell like when it's been sitt'n in the hot sun all day , :lmao:

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your tidbits!:surfweb:
I lurk a lot, but I always read anything you have posted. I dream of camping at the Fort one day. :banana: I've learned a lot from you and others, I miss some of the old ones, but am glad to see new ones around. Keep all the info and tidbits coming! :hug:

On July 4, 1979:The first baby is born at Disneyland, California. Six-pound, 10-ounce Teresa Salcedo is born to Rosa and Elias Salcedo on a bench behind Plaza Inn. Mickey Mouse will later honor the Los Angeles family with a "Disneyland Birth Certificate No.1"!

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your tidbits!:surfweb:
I lurk a lot, but I always read anything you have posted. I dream of camping at the Fort one day. :banana: I've learned a lot from you and others, I miss some of the old ones, but am glad to see new ones around. Keep all the info and tidbits coming! :hug:

Thank you :goodvibes

For some, there is a ride at Epcot that seems silly, for me it is still one of my favorite rides, the "Maelstrom" at Norway.
On July 5, 1988, Epcot's Maelstrom, opened at the Norway Pavilion, to guests.
Visitors ride boats that are patterned after Viking ships and pass through various scenes with audio-animatronic figures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter