• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Just more Stuff,,,,,

Jan.2, 1938, the Mickey Mouse Theater of the Air debuts coast-to-coast on the NBC
radio network. Sponsored by Pepsodent Toothpaste, the series stars Walt Disney as the voice of Mickey Mouse, Thelma Boardman as Minnie, Stuart Buchanan as Goofy and Clarence Nash as Donald Duck. Mickey and the gang travel through time - thanks to the Magic Mirror (from Snow White and the
Seven Dwarfs) - and meet up with Robin Hood. (After a few weeks, the studio will be inundated with requests for tickets to the live broadcasts! Originally scheduled for 13 programs, the series will be extended to 20.)
-------------------------
Jan.2, 1938, Conductor Leopold Stokowski arrives in Los Angeles for a
session for Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Jan2, 2001, Disney unveils its Grand Californian Hotel, offering a few hundred guests a preview of the high-end rooms and service the company hopes will transform the updated Anaheim vacation spot. The hotel is the first in the U.S. to be located inside a Disney theme park. The Grand Californian Hotel features 2 full-service restaurants (Storytellers Cafe & Napa Rose) and a snack bar (Whitewater Snacks). Although its grand opening will be in February, the first paying guests are welcomed on this day.

We had the pleasure of staying at the GCH in it's infancy, what a wonderful time we had and a such beautiful hotel. Guests staying at the Grand have their own entrance from the hotel directly into the heart of the park. (very cool !)

Jan.3,1994, at EPCOT, The Kitchen Kabaret Revue, better known as simply Kitchen Kabaret, an Audio-Animatronics theatrical presentation about nutrition, closes. An original attraction in The Land pavilion, it will later re-open as Food Rocks (and ultimately Soarin'.)
--------------------------

Disney World's Pop Century Resort features 'larger than life' icons of the 20th Century, including 4-storey Rubik’s Cubes & yo-yos and 55-foot cell phones. Phase I, the Classic Years, opened December 14, 2003.

The resort is built around Hourglass Lake and features a bridge called Generation Gap Bridge that was to join the Classic Years with the unbuilt Legendary Years.

Jan.4,2005, the largest Disney theme park ticket give-away takes place at the Fed Ex Orange Bowl National Championship game in Miami, Florida. Seventy-two thousand ticket holders shout “I’m going to Disneyland!” after each of them receive a surprise free ticket to any Disney theme park in the world. Mickey Mouse makes a surprise appearance at the end of the third quarter and personally invites each of them to the global celebration saluting the 50th anniversary of Disneyland Park in California.
The Southern California Trojans win over the Oklahoma Sooners by a score of 55-19.
-----------------------------
In 1937, the Boy Scouts of America bestowed upon Mickey Mouse
membership in the Cub Scouts in honor of his 9th birthday.

Jan.5, 2003, Cinderella's Gala Feast, a character buffet at the Grand Floridian's 1900
Park Fare (located in Walt Disney World) officially welcomes guests.
--------------------
In Autumn of 1998,
Cinderella Castle's lighting system was upgraded at
Disney World. It now has the power to illuminate in some
16 million colors!
-------------------
"All during the early years of my youth, and a long time before I had given a career any thought, the Public Library has always held a tremendous interest for me. Needless to say, any book that offered information on drawing was likely to be found listed on my card, and over-due books were the chief reason for my usually depleted bank account." -Walt Disney (1937)

Jan.6, 2003, Disneyland's 6-million gallon Rivers of America is drained, putting a stop to the boat cruises and cutting off access to Tom Sawyer Island. Although a 2,000-foot long, 8-foot tall blue fence surrounds the dried up area, park guests still peek through cracks to view the boats' underwater tracks. To entertain guests until the Rivers of America are refilled, Disney employees dressed as Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher re-enact the fence-painting scene from Mark Twain's classic novel "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."
Disney World's Country Bear Jamboree was originally designed for Mineral King, an alpine area resort in California's Sierra Nevada mountains. Mineral King was never built, so the bears found a home in Florida.

Jan.7, 1942, T.W. Smith, Jr., the owner of the Sun Rubber Company, and his designer Dietrich Rempel introduce a protective Mickey Mouse gas mask for children. It has been one month since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and fears of saboteurs and submarines attacks on the U.S. are high. A critical need exists to protect the civilian population, especially children, from gas attacks. The design of the Mickey Mouse Gas Mask is presented to Major General William N. Porter, Chief of the Chemical Warfare Service. Upon approval, Sun Rubber produces sample masks for review. Other comic book character designs are to follow, depending on the success of the Mickey Mouse mask.
------------------------

In the early 1950's, Walt Disney hired Harrison "Buzz" Price (a consultant from Stanford Research who would later become a Disney Legend) to find a major piece of land in Southern California ... large enough to build an amusement park.
-----------------------

"Recession doesn't deserve the right to exist. There are just too many things to be done in science and engineering to be bogged down by temporary economic dislocations." -Walt Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter