• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Just more Stuff,,,,,

Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a great one.

Thank you very much,,and it was awesome !

Nov.22, 1963, Walt Disney and a group of associates fly over the coast of Florida aboard a Grumman turboprop. (Walt and his entourage of top executives are at the end of a tour of the eastern United States in search of an ideal location for a new theme park.) The aerial view confirms Walt's doubts about building a theme park by the ocean. They fly inland over Orlando, circling the forests and swamps for the very first time. From the air they see the good road network below (which includes Interstate 4, Florida's Turnpike and McCoy Air Force Base - soon to be Orlando International Airport). Walt has a good feeling about this site. This is followed with a stop in New Orleans to refuel for the trip back to Burbank, California. It is during the stop in New Orleans that they learn of U.S. President Kennedy's assassination in Texas, just hours before. On the somber flight back home, Walt announces that out of all the stops ... Central Florida appears to be the best choice.
Disneyland will close the following day in honor of President Kennedy (who visited the park, as Senator, in 1959.)

Nov.23, 1998 the Kona Café, a restaurant located in Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort, opens for business.

one of our favorites, :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

1941, after suffering a strike and declining revenue because of the war in Europe, Walt Disney's studio is in trouble. Disney animator Ward Kimball notes in his diary for this day: "100 layoffs announced. Studio personnel from 1600 down to 300. Geez, Is this the writing on the wall?" (Disney will save itself by doing defense films for the army & with the post-war release of Cinderella - be back on top.)

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

A Mickey Mouse balloon was first added to Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (then called the Macy's Christmas Parade) in New York City in 1934.

Walt Disney World guests consume 300,000 cookies and 1,200 gallons of hot coco each
night at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.

and of that number, I have consumed a few, :thumbsup2

1907, Boston scrap-metal dealer Louis B. Mayer purchases a small rundown movie
theater in Haverhill, Massachusetts. Within a few years, he will own the largest theater chain in New England and begin distributing films. In 1917, he will start his own production company, which, through a series of mergers, will become part of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer or MGM. (From 1989 to 2007 Disney's 5th theme park was called Disney-MGM Studios.)

Nov.28,2010, Leslie Nielsen, the 84-year-old funnyman, who Roger Ebert
once referred to as the "Laurence Olivier of spoofs," passes away in Florida after suffering complications from pneumonia.
Nielsen starred in The Swamp Fox, a television series produced by Walt Disney that ran between 1959-1961. The series encompassed eight episodes, running as part of the Disney anthology television series. Although Nielsen's acting career crossed a variety of genres in both television and films, his deadpan delivery as a doctor in the 1980 Airplane! marked a turning point in his career. He will probably be best remembered for his classic comedic roles in The Naked Gun films and Police Squad! sitcom. Nielsen credits also include a guest spot on an episode of The
Golden Girls (a Touchstone production) and the television movie Santa Who? (although not a Disney production - often aired on ABC and ABC Family networks)

Stormalong Bay, Disney World's Beach Club Resort swimming area, holds 750,000 gallons of water ... making it possibly the largest sand-bottom pool in the world.

Nov.29, 2009, starting on this day, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground at Walt
Disney World begins offering sleigh rides (for the first time ever) through the
secluded beauty of the 700-acre backwoods resort.

A mechanical bird in a New Orleans antique shop in 1949 supposedly sparked Walt Disney's imagination to create a 3-D animated figure ...
later to be known as Audio-Animatronics technology.

Nov.30, 1966, Walt Disney (weeks after undergoing surgery) collapses at his California home. He is revived by medics and readmitted to St. Joseph's Hospital in Burbank.

Nov.30, 2005, a purebred Beagle named Nutmeg (or "Meg" for short) is born in California. This pup has the distinction of having an unusual "Hidden Mickey," approximately two-and-a-half inches long on the top of her head! At nine-months of age, the natural "Mickey" markings will enable Meg to help Disneyland celebrate the "tail end" of their 50th Anniversary Celebration.

The "Liberty Oak," which is the focal point of the Liberty Square area in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, is the proud parent of more than 500 young trees. They all started out as acorns harvested from the single oak!

Rod Serling's introduction to Disney World's Tower of Terror attraction (as viewed in the library) was taken in part from a 1961 Twilight Zone episode called
"It's A Good Life."

Dec. 1, 1952, Walt's oldest brother Herb Disney retires from the Post Office after more than 37 years. (In his younger days Walt had too worked for the Post Office, in Chicago.

can you imagine if the life of Walt and Herb was switched,, the resort in Florida would have been called,"Herb Disney World" :lmao::lmao:

Dec.1, 1958, construction of Florida's Interstate 4 begins. The final link of the highway will be completed in February 1965. A diagonal, northeast-southwest route for much of its length, I-4 will provide access to all of Orlando's future theme parks and tourist attractions including Walt Disney World.

Walt Disney had an apartment built above the fire station on Main Street USA in Disneyland. Employees would know when he was in the apartment when the light was on
in the window at night. To this day a light is left on in his memory.

Nov.4, 1942, Disney's Goofy short How to Fish, directed by Jack Kinney, is released. Goofy demonstrates how to fish ... although he's really showing us how not to fish!

Nov.4, 1960, Walt Disney Presents debuts the first Daniel Boone episode titled "The Warrior's Path." A four-part miniseries based on the life of frontiersman Daniel Boone, a fast-talking salesman convinces Boone (played by Dewey Martin) to pull up stakes and move from North Carolina to the "promised land" of Kentucky. Boone, his wife Rebecca, and their friends are assured that if they travel along "The Warrior's Path," a secret Indian trail, their journey will be a safe one. Unfortunately, the Indians they encounter along the way are dangerous.

We usta watch this show every week, it was awesome, :thumbsup2

Nov.4, 2001, The Travel Channel airs Great Hotels - Disney's Grand Floridian, Walt Disney World Resort hosted by Samantha Brown, for the first time.

It all begins with dreams. As a kid, I was a dreamer. I’d sit in class and I’d be way off. What I was dreaming about I don’t know. I was always getting lectured: ‘Now, Walter, I know you’re intelligent’. I was always a creative kid. I built things in the backyard. I organized the kids of the neighborhood to build a tree house." -Walt Disney

On this day , Sunday, Dec.5, 1901, Walter Elias Disney is born to Flora and Elias Disney in their two-story cottage at 1249 Tripp Avenue in a newly developed section of Chicago, Illinois. (In 1909, the address of the house will change to 2156 North Tripp Avenue.) The fourth Disney son is named to honor the family's pastor and friend Walter Parr, a preacher at St. Paul Congregational Church (located one block east and one block north of the Disney house). The pastor, in turn, will later name his son Elias, after Walt's father. (The Disney family will move to Missouri in April 1906 where Walt and his brothers and sister will grow up on a farm in Marceline, but the family will later return to Chicago in 1917.)
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

"Hope this finds you feeling better. This is your day and Edna and I send our love not only for today but always."-Roy Disney's wire from New York to his brother Walt at St. Joseph's Hospital in Burbank.

Dec. 5, 1986, Walt Disney Recognition Day is officially celebrated in the United States.
"December 5, 1986, marks the 85th anniversary of the birth of Walt Disney. "Uncle Walt,'' as he was affectionately known to his moviemaking colleagues in Hollywood, was just that to several generations of American families: a warm, generous uncle who sat us on his knee and told and retold us stories of comedy, imagination, and adventure. He was a superb animator, a technical wizard, an astute manager and businessman, but above all he was a man who never lost touch with his child's heart and sense of wonder." -President Ronald Reagan

Dec.6, 1924, character actor Wally Cox is born in Detroit, Michigan. His Disney credits include the
live-action films The Barefoot Executive and The Boatniks. (Cartoon fans may remember him as the voice of Underdog - while fans of classic TV know Cox as the star of the 1950s sitcom Mr. Peepers.)

Dec.6, 1976, the TV special Christmas in Disneyland featuring Art Carney, Sandy Duncan, and Glen Campbell airs.

Walt Disney was first fascinated by television back in the mid-1930s when he visited Camden, New
Jersey to see a demonstration of the new medium by RCA head David
Sarnoff. Following World War II, the Disney Studio even applied to the FCC for a television station license - Walt envisioned a television broadcasting center at his studio!

Dec.7, 1941, Sunday - Walt Disney hears the news over the radio of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. He receives a phone call from his studio manager telling him that army troops are moving onto their Burbank lot! The troops are going to provide an anti-aircraft installation to protect the nearby Lockheed factory (which manufacture airplanes for the armed forces).

Dec.7, 1964, Compass East Corporation is incorporated in Delaware. It will be responsible for buying up the Florida land that will eventually become Walt Disney World.
The name Compass East Corporation appears (as does other dummy companies) on Donn Tatum's Main Street window in WDW's Magic Kingdom.

A whopping 800,000 watts of electricity are used along Hollywood Studio's 760-foot-long Residential Street, Washington Square backlot and New York
Street for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights!

Dec.8,1849, It is believed by most historians that author and journalist
Joel Chandler Harris is born near Eatonton, Georgia.
(Although some records show he may have been born December 9 and/or in the year 1845.) Harris will best be remembered for his collection of Uncle Remus stories. The tales of Uncle Remus have been translated into 20 languages and immortalized on film (in 1946) by Walt Disney in Song of the South.

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
-President Franklin D. Roosevelt

Dec.8, 1941, the day after the Pearl Harbor bombing, the U.S. Army has finished setting up camp at Walt Disney's Burbank studio for the repair of military vehicles and antiaircraft guns, and use as a primary defense station to guard the nearby Lockheed plant against possible air attacks. (Soon one-third of Walt's animators will be drafted.)
That evening, Walt receives a call from a navy official offering the studio a contract for twenty films on aircraft and warship identification.

In the early 1960s, Walt
Disney was constantly denying rumors that CBS was buying his studio and theme park. In fact he once told columnist Hedda Hopper: "With the business
Mary Poppins is doing, Disney might make an offer to buy CBS."

Dec.9, 2002, the soft opening of Tower of Terror 4 (featuring new random drop sequences) goes into operation at Disney-MGM Studios.

(my all time favorite ride) :banana:

For the holiday season,
Disneyland dresses up the classic it’s a small world ride, adding lights and
seasonal songs. Twenty employees work for 17 days, 10 to 12 hours a day to decorate the attraction!

Dec.10, 2003, Walt Disney World begins placing motion-sickness bags in the
capsules of their newest Epcot attraction, Mission:SPACE. It is the
first time Disney has put motion-sickness bags on any of its thrill rides.

Dec.10, 2009, a rare 1932 Mickey Mouse Christmas card signed by Walt Disney sells at auction in Illinois for $13,987. The card - addressed to Chicagoan Henry Scherping - features the original version of Mickey and Minnie Mouse along with a note written less than a month after the cartoonist received his first Oscar. Walt Disney sent out dozens of these Christmas cards, but this is the first one to ever surface.

Dec.11,1956, Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen appear on the ABC-TV series Mickey Mouse Club. Today is Guest Star Day.

The Princess and the Frog, produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and loosely based on E.D. Baker's novel "The Frog Princess" and and the Grimm brothers' "The Frog Prince," is generally released. The 49th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics and the first theatrically released 2D animated movie by Disney since 2004's Home on the Range, The Princess and the Frog features the voice of Tony Award-winning singer and actress Anika Noni Rose as Princess Tiana.

"Ed Catmull and I, the day I returned to the Walt Disney Animation Studios,
said that we wanted to bring back John Musker and Ron Clements. So, once we brought them back, I empowered them to come up with their own project. I mentioned to them one idea that I had,
just a nugget of an idea at Pixar. I love the story of “The Frog Prince,” and I
love New Orleans." -John Lasseter

Dec.12 1927, Disney's Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit short Empty Socks is released.
The silent black & white cartoon - featuring Oswald as Santa - is the first ever Disney Christmas themed short. Directed by Walt Disney himself, the animation credits include Ub Iwerks, Rollin "Ham" Hamilton, and Hugh Harman.

Dec.12, 1954, Clarence C. Nash (the voice of Donald Duck) appears as a guest on the television game show What's My Line?

Dec.12, 2010, the American Film Institute names the Disney/Pixar 3-D feature Toy Story 3 one of its best 10 movies of 2010 (the only animated feature to crack AFI’s list).

"People say I still have the innocence of a child. Maybe I have. I still look at the world with wonder, and with all living things I have a terrific sympathy. It was the most natural thing in the world for me to imagine that mice and squirrels might have feelings just like mine." -Walt Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter